Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I did mine at Yonge and Eglinton Future Shop.

Uh, tab is a weird thing. So you get 10% discount if you BYOD, and so you don't grow your tab. Even though the FS rep promised me he activated me as BYOD with the 10% discount, that didn't actually happen. So I'm building a *positive* balance on my tab, which means eventually it'll hit a cap and I'll be able to get a heavy discount on a brand new phone. I WOULD call in and have them fix that, but to be honest I don't really want to bother customer support who might realize I've not left Ontario since I signed on. It's still far far cheaper than anything available here, and I probably will use that money eventually to buy a new phone.

As for phone specific problems, I don't know. I brought an unlocked iPhone. I have literally no idea how it works for anything but BYOD. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Does anyone here actually have Wind and find it decent enough?
90% Of my usage is text and data but I guess voice is important too.

I have a similar usage pattern, I find it's okay. I get no signal in Distillery factories and factory-like buildings, or if I'm deep inside my building at work (like the center of the second floor), otherwise it works fine. I never had a problem with call quality.

Lord Zuthulu
Jun 29, 2006
Zuthulu want more brownies - NOW!

I'm in the GTA and have been with wind since Dec 2010. I have no complaints considering what I pay. I know several people who've signed up after me and they've stayed too. I just ran a speed test and got 7 mbps down.

I'm on prepay/payg so I never need to deal with their customer support fwiw.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Okay, so Wind will be my backup plan if I turn out to be too much of a pussy to do the Koodo thing.
I just had to laugh at this again though:

lmao

E:
Only $170 to buy out Bell now, I guess it's the $50 remaining on the phone and the 6 months x $20 cancellation fee.
Gonna sell some poo poo and try to make this happen before the end of Jan.

PS. Love the cabin fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 27, 2014

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Wind's data network is terrible. I was only ever able to connect to the internet after like 2am on a weekday. All other times I could not connect to anything at all. I live in Toronto, pretty much as downtown as possible without falling into the lake.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Wind voice and text is reliable enough in Calgary but data is unusable most of the time. Speed is very slow (highest I've gotten is 1.5mbps) and I would be okay with that if it was reliable. Nothing loads completely the first try though.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I had Wind for 3 years in Burlington and barely got signal at work, and I sat at a window. Everywhere else (home, travelling, etc) was fine. About a year ago I switched to The MB/SK plan when I started travelling cross-country and it's been awesome. My plan didn't get set up for BYOD before I ported my number over (make sure you get the discount before porting) so I've got a $140 positive balance now. I'm taking off to Europe for most of the year and it's not worth paying $50x n months just to keep the plan. Koodo's idea of freezing an account is to pay them $15/mo for the privilege, then you have to choose from an in-market plan, so going to port to Petro for the long expiry and to have a few minutes and texts to use when I come back for a bit. Hopefully there'll be a decent in-market plan from someone when I get back, but that wouldn't be very :canada:, would it?:.

What's the best way to use up this tab balance? Can I go to a Koodo kiosk, tell them I want a Nexus 5 partially paid for with a positive tab balance and walk out with it? If they force a plan change on me (because of the MB/SK plan), the number is just getting ported out (and therefore, plan killed) the next day anyway.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
One thing I'm not clear on is when you pay Koodo for the first time and when Bell expects you to pay up.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

One thing I'm not clear on is when you pay Koodo for the first time and when Bell expects you to pay up.

when i did it:

I paid Koodo after my first billing cycle. That included some bullshit activation fee or whatever ... I don't know, the bill was higher than I expected and lower than all the subsequent ones. I don't care, it's still cheaper than Rogers.

When I transferred my number over, that happened within like, a business day. Rogers sent me a final bill for unpaid services outstanding + cancellation fee + unlocking fee, and noted that this will be my last bill and the account will be closed. I didn't actually see that bill since I send my bills to parents house, but that's what they said it said, and Rogers charged my credit card and that was it. I suppose there may have been a few days of overlap but realistically it was pretty straightforward - Rogers charged me for whatever I owed them, then the next month I started being charged by Koodo.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

I've been on Wind in Scarborough/Markham for 3 years, works great. I don't have reception/coverage problems, data is fine, I don't get bad packet loss, speed is not LTE but it's good enough for me, and I've used it to stream Twitch. I've only used enough to hit the soft cap once in 3 years, so YMMV whether that's an issue for you. I hear a lot of people complaining about reception downtown, but I've never had any issues, so it seems like being in the suburbs is actually working out better for me. Having said that, you will definitely have reception issues if you work underground or in a thick/concrete building due to their spectrum. Before I switched to a Nexus 5, I didn't have reception in my basement.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I've been on wind for two years and it's great. I pay $33/month for unlimited everything with no contract. 5 mbs down consistently and the network has only improved and expanded since i switched. I live in toronto but not downtown so i dont really have the problem with high rises.

If you're off contract, there's really no reason not to try it for a month. You can always cancel.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I just switched from wind to telus. Couldn't deal with the reception issues with wind. I'll hope they improve and try again eventually. Maybe once they start deploying LTE.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

I use wind in Vancouver and I think it's fine. Data speeds are about the same as I was getting on Telus in 2011 but latency is bad. I don't get coverage on the Canada Line from Waterfront to Marine Drive and there's a couple dead spots around but I pay $25 a month so whatever.

Paccione
Aug 17, 2003

The most famous shot in the history of television
I used Fongo for a month with Bell's tablet flex plan. Was looking at $20 a month for Canada wide everything with 2 gigs of data ($40 for 5 gigs).

Fongo service was very hit or miss. On good days no one had problems hearing me but on bad days I couldn't hear anyone and they couldn't hear me. Maybe in a few more years they may be a viable alternative to the Robelus but right now it's just not good enough.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Paccione posted:

I used Fongo for a month with Bell's tablet flex plan. Was looking at $20 a month for Canada wide everything with 2 gigs of data ($40 for 5 gigs).

Fongo service was very hit or miss. On good days no one had problems hearing me but on bad days I couldn't hear anyone and they couldn't hear me. Maybe in a few more years they may be a viable alternative to the Robelus but right now it's just not good enough.

Rofl try $20 for 1gb. loving fongo may as well use viber or whatsapp or FaceTime.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
So the latest abusive carrier practice seems to be in billing for a large package of SMSs when outside the country. I was in the USA and made the mistake of sending a single SMS (iMessage on WiFi failed => SMS fallback).

The price, on Koodo, of my 'mistake' was an immediate $5 charge for a pack of 100 such SMSs, which is apparently the lowest fidelity amount such roaming service can be bought in.

Canadians here and elsewhere rightly complain about Robelus pricing primarily, but it's the sheer shamelessness of practices like these that is especially galling to me.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Has anyone recently gotten themselves a Saskatchewan plan?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Wind is pretty good in Ottawa I've found. It's works pretty well but at Albert and Bay at rush hour for some reason. I even got Wind signal in Carleton Place recently.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Frank Dillinger posted:

I was going to but money might be too tight this month.
Plus it's apparently getting harder and harder as reps crack down.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I was going to but money might be too tight this month.
Plus it's apparently getting harder and harder as reps crack down.

I've noticed that Koodo has been proudly promoting a "new website experience" you can try out on their current [lovely] site.

Presumably that will become the default soon enough, and it may well include a fix for the loophole.

To anyone on the fence about signing up - I'd do so quickly if I were you. And to you, PS, you might want to run the numbers on putting this on the credit card this month and incurring the interest charges if necessary versus the long-lived benefits of being on the plan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does Rogers' Roam like Home thing work like I'm expecting and charges you $5 every time you roam if you don't opt out beforehand?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Frank Dillinger posted:

I did mine around September I think.

Whatever crazy method of buying a phone online, porting your number over, returning it ... whatever that method was, I doubt that'll work, I think they fixed that.

Just go into a reseller, like FutureShop. I just straight up told him I want a Koodo SIM on a specific plan cuz I'm moving to Winnipeg for work. I'm sure actual employees of the company have been briefed on people trying to get these plans, but why would someone at FutureShop care? Don't they get commission per activation? Or is that only if they sell a phone... Regardless, it was really easy for me, but YMMV. Good thing there are FutureShops *everywhere* in this country, you can just try another if someone's being a jerk.

Then again I've also heard of people getting calls from Koodo asking them to switch their plans, at least I've read one person claiming that, so I dunno. It's worth a shot anyway!

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
This thread has been helpful as it has more recent trip reports or whatever you call them.

e:
Worst comes to worst the $70/2gb plan isn't too terrible considering the $100 for 1gb on Bell.
If I come up with the stones to do this I'll probably grab a Nexus 5 as well, my gnex is all pissy these days.

PS. Love the cabin fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 4, 2015

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

This thread has been helpful as it has more recent trip reports or whatever you call them.

e:
Worst comes to worst the $70/2gb plan isn't too terrible considering the $100 for 1gb on Bell.
If I come up with the stones to do this I'll probably grab a Nexus 5 as well, my gnex is all pissy these days.

That thread seems to mostly contain hot air and not a lot of credible evidence they are actively closing the loop. Still, I'd get on it sooner rather than later, as the Robelus plan comparisons grow ever starker.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Asked a guy at a best buy mobile store and he said it was no problem to get a 306 area code. Unfortunately the only id I had on me was a g1 learners permit that expired in 2006.

One weird thing was him saying "whatever you're approved for".

I'm not sure what he was referring to.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

One weird thing was him saying "whatever you're approved for".

I'm not sure what he was referring to.

Credit check?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My company gave me a blackberry on Rogers. I tether to that on the lakeshore west GO train every afternoon and man -- non stop data dropouts between Union and Aldershot. Compared to Virgin that had rock solid reception everywhere. How can it be so crappy? :(

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Pivo posted:

Credit check?

Seems likely now that I think of it.
Shame the place is so far away though, I just asked because I was a few feet away at the time.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I just looked up flights to Winnipeg. You can literally pay $650 to fly to Toronto -> Winnipeg, activate a line there, and fly back the next day. If you're paying ~$100 or more now, which I was for the same service, you'll make your money back in about 13 or 14 months (if you have an unlocked phone). lol.

Also I learned it costs $650 for a round trip to loving Winnipeg!? What's wrong with this country!? I paid $550 round trip Vancouver -> Toronto 4 years ago, and I still thought that was crazy, when Americans can move about the country for 100-200 bucks... Jesus.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Pivo posted:

Also I learned it costs $650 for a round trip to loving Winnipeg!? What's wrong with this country!? I paid $550 round trip Vancouver -> Toronto 4 years ago, and I still thought that was crazy, when Americans can move about the country for 100-200 bucks... Jesus.

Airline pricing is basically throwing random numbers up and seeing what people will pay, and then adjust when they aren't biting.

For example my ticket shopping a few days ago:

Act fast! Only 2 tickets left at this price before you have to pay $6000 more!

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

less than three posted:

Airline pricing is basically throwing random numbers up and seeing what people will pay.

Apparently Ontario wireless as well.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Actually I do know a little bit about aviation, I'm a private pilot although that doesn't qualify me at all to talk about pricing algorithms for commercial aviation...

In the US, the airports are subsidized a lot more than Canadian airports are. So a Canada -> Canada trip is going to be expensive regardless since I don't think we let foreign carriers make domestic trips, and load numbers at the time of purchase is what's going to determine your cost based on some insane algorithm that is based on historical loads, etc. The reason it jumped up so high probably is because there aren't any more seats on that flight, so you'd be overbooking. They'd love for you to do that if you're desperate since they can just kick some guy off, put him in a hotel, give him some vouchers, but still take the rest of your 6 grand. The price is meant to be a deterrent. People DO do that. Price-insensitive travellers will take whatever flight is available, and someone who'd rather take the free flight and free food will gladly step off.

There are a lot of issues with airline pricing with respect to how friendly they are to consumers. They're not. At all. But a lot of money goes into researching how to maximize profit, and they do a drat good job of it... It's not like the 90s where they'd send 200 seat planes with 50 passengers on board somewhere just so they could make the profitable return trip. Now they calculate everything, to maximize profit.

They are buses in the sky. In Canada, they pay a lot just to exist. It doesn't excuse the system for being broken, because I do believe it is broken, but it is not intentionally meant to hurt the consumer - it's meant to maximize profits. Which it does, at the expense of the consumer...

Sorta like wireless!

Pivo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 5, 2015

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Airlines is nothing other than the typical Canadian approach of forbidding foreigners so that an exclusive domestic cartel can fleece the domestics uninterrupted.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lexicon posted:

Airlines is nothing other than the typical Canadian approach of forbidding foreigners so that an exclusive domestic cartel can fleece the domestics uninterrupted.

And yet in Vancouver we have a distastrous foreign ownership housing bubble that we can't collect data on or even mention how bad it is out of fear of someone calling us xenophobic.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Reverse Centaur posted:

And yet in Vancouver we have a distastrous foreign ownership housing bubble that we can't collect data on or even mention how bad it is out of fear of someone calling us xenophobic.

To be fair, without data it is a little xenophobic to to assume that's the source of the bubble.

Sounds more like a disastrous REALTOR™ bubble to me

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

senae posted:

To be fair, without data it is a little xenophobic to to assume that's the source of the bubble.

You clearly don't live in Vancouver.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

In Toronto everyone says the same thing, but a report found that it was very low: http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/12/16/percentage_of_toronto_condos_owned_by_foreign_investors_is_very_low_cmhc_says.html

I have lived in Van though and I could see it being much higher... Housing prices there were loving insane. I paid $660/mo for a ROOM in the Burnaby, in a house with like 6 other people, and apparently I was getting a decent deal! In TO I share a condo with a roommate, we live in the middle of downtown - Bay and Dundas, a block away from City Hall - and we pay $2300. Over 1100sqft, all new appliances, gigantic kitchen and living room. It's still expensive, but that wouldn't get you jack poo poo downtown Van.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 5, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/downtown-vancouver-condos-left-empty-by-foreign-owners-1.1369768

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

senae posted:

To be fair, that is a dumb comment. But it's also off topic so I'll leave it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Got my SK number and a nexus 5, they had to give me an Ont plan though. I should be able to change it though self serve soon.