Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man more I listen to it Captain Toad's boo house level (1-16) reminds me of Forever Forest in the first Paper Mario. Can't shake it off either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I kind of wish there was some kind of pop up or something when you got a message on Miiverse instead of having to check to see if it's pulsing if a friends replied to you or not

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I haven't played Wind Waker since it came out originally and I don't think I even finished it because I hated the sailing at the time. If I'm more patient now, and I think I read the sailing is better (?), is this a no brainer? EB Games here has it on for $40, I have a $50 Gift Card from Christmas and I already own Smash, Mario World 3D, Toad, Mario Kart 8 and NES Remix.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 26, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Godinster posted:

I haven't played Wind Waker since it came out originally and I don't think I even finished it because I hated the sailing at the time. If I'm more patient now, and I think I read the sailing is better (?), is this a no brainer?

The sailing is faster in multiple ways. Get it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They made Wind Waker HD specifically for you, Godinster.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Godinster posted:

I haven't played Wind Waker since it came out originally and I don't think I even finished it because I hated the sailing at the time. If I'm more patient now, and I think I read the sailing is better (?), is this a no brainer? EB Games here has it on for $40, I have a $50 Gift Card from Christmas and I already own Smash, Mario World 3D, Toad, Mario Kart 8 and NES Remix.

Get it and be sure to get the fast sail as soon as you can. I enjoyed the HD Wind Waker a lot more than the original. In the original I hated a certain quest near the end game and having to change the direction of the wind over and over.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sdoots posted:

Oh, okay. I thought I had to actually find food for it somehow. Thanks.

It's a really powerful item, the flight is better than you'd think and it can eat some enemy projectiles too.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Merry Christmas to all my cute Nintendo goons, some of you are less cute than others, but that's besides the point.
But really, I hope you all had an awesome day with minimal drama and stress

In terms of cuteness, for xmas I got Bayonetta 1&2, two Professor Layton games, Peach and Captain Falcon Amiibos :)

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
Has anyone ever encountered save-game issues with NSMBU? I've booted it up for the first time in a few weeks, and I'm back at Which Way Labyrinth. I know for a fact that I've finished that level and got ahead a few more, and I know this exact situation has happened before.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Windwaker HD is great and is the best 3D Zelda on a home console.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I got $120 in eshop cards for Christmas and I've already spent half of it on games I probably won't play for a month or two but fuggit, it's Christmas bitch.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Fremry posted:

Shantae is definitely good, but it seems a little over priced for me. It's kinda like babby's first metroidvania. It's very fun, not very difficult and I do enjoy the tongue in cheek, self aware humor. Definitely has great aesthetics, but the combat is pretty simplistic.

Edit: it would make sense to have been priced at 15. It's pretty comparable to Shovel Knight in terms of size and replayability.

Does it make you feel better that the bitchin soundtrack is free http://virt.bandcamp.com/album/shantae-and-the-pirates-curse-ost

So is most of Jake Kaufman's music. It rules.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

dirtyfrog posted:

Has anyone ever encountered save-game issues with NSMBU? I've booted it up for the first time in a few weeks, and I'm back at Which Way Labyrinth. I know for a fact that I've finished that level and got ahead a few more, and I know this exact situation has happened before.

There's no auto-save, if that's what you're wondering -- before you beat the game you can only save after mini-bosses and bosses. After you beat it, you can save after completing any level.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

dirtyfrog posted:

You need to make sure to use the quick save if you want to stop playing at a time not right after a Tower or Castle level. Don't just turn the power off.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm considering moving up from my old Wii to this new shiny version, and I was wondering how essential the Pro Controller is. I've got a few Wii remotes kicking about and I still have my old Wavebird Gamecube controller for Smash Bros, is that good enough?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My nephew got a WiiU and can't download Smash Brothers. It came with 3D World and Nintendo land, but those only take up about 4.5 GB. I know the OS is 4 GB, he should have 22 gig left. System says he only has 8. Anyone know etc? He has nothing else on there, even deleted hulu Netflix and YouTube.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

mine came with 3d world and nintendoland preinstalled and had 20gb left useable.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm considering moving up from my old Wii to this new shiny version, and I was wondering how essential the Pro Controller is. I've got a few Wii remotes kicking about and I still have my old Wavebird Gamecube controller for Smash Bros, is that good enough?

Definitely get a Wii-U, and yeah the pro controllers are awesome. I'd pick a couple up.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

ascii genitals posted:

Definitely get a Wii-U, and yeah the pro controllers are awesome. I'd pick a couple up.

Just a warning... if you want the Nintendo points to register, don't buy from Amazon. I did and got a Japanese one that can't be registered for points in the US.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Awesome! posted:

mine came with 3d world and nintendoland preinstalled and had 20gb left useable.

I think I figured it out. My theory is my sister bought it and when it took her back to the games page she clicked download again. But the system was actually already downloading and allotted the space so it put up a not enough space error instead of saying she was already downloading. So once she gets back and checks it I think she'll see its actually already downloading.

Edit: I was right.

greatn fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 27, 2014

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
With all of the Christmas money I received, I finally went out and bought myself a Wii U bundle with Super Mario 3D World and Nintendoland! I also went out and bought a pro controller, Super Smash Brothers, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8

It is glorious, I'm like a kid in a candy store

I should probably be set for a while, but Captain Toad sure is tempting...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr Snofeld posted:

Just be aware that the Gamecube Adapters are currently sold out everywhere, but Nintendo's promised more are coming. Also you'll need to make sure you have Wiimote Pluses (or at least the Motion Plus dongle).

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Windwaker HD is great and is the best 3D Zelda on a home console.

Have you heard of Hyrule Warriors?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
For real though it is probably Hyrule Warriors.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Krime posted:

Just a warning... if you want the Nintendo points to register, don't buy from Amazon. I did and got a Japanese one that can't be registered for points in the US.

Pretty sure they don't give you club nintendo points for controllers in the US, period. I could be wrong though, I bought my pro controller used for $30.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Stan Taylor posted:

Pretty sure they don't give you club nintendo points for controllers in the US, period. I could be wrong though, I bought my pro controller used for $30.

I bought a brand new one from a store, it did not have any kind of code or any way to register it.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

the truth posted:

Have you heard of Hyrule Warriors?

Yes and its great. Its not the best but its drat good. Better than Ocarina by a large margin.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I got $120 in eshop cards for Christmas and I've already spent half of it on games I probably won't play for a month or two

You and I are in similar situations. This is literally me and probably half of this thread right now:

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yes and its great. Its not the best but its drat good. Better than Ocarina by a large margin.

Hyrule Warriors is pretty amazing. It actually feels more realistic that some Zelda games in terms of plot. For example, there actually is a Hyrule Army and they actually fight; compare this to any other game where the army is non-existent or surrenders immediately. It is a good blend of multiple characters fighting it out. I like it. Ocarina of Time is still amazing though I'd not prepared to say Hyrule Warriors is better, but Hyrule Warriors is "Ocarina of Time levels of awesome!"

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 27, 2014

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
I got a WiiU. It's the first console I bought since the Xbox 360 back in 2008 that RRoD'd on me within a year. I'm primarily a PC gamer, but every once in a while I just crave that console level of polish in a game.

Thus far, I got me some Mario 3D World, Hyrule Warriors, DKC: Tropical Freeze, and Mario Kart 8. And Nintendo Land, though I have no idea what the hell that is.

I am... becoming cuter.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Buy Bayonetta 2 and play the free copy of Bayonetta 1 that comes with it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I got Captain Toad for Christmas and it's fantastic. I hope this isn't a one off, I feel like charging like ten or fifteen for a new episode would be a pretty great idea.

Edit: As I was typing this it went to the attract mode screen with Super Mario Bros on it.

I can't handle the cuteness.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 27, 2014

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I got a WiiU. It's the first console I bought since the Xbox 360 back in 2008 that RRoD'd on me within a year. I'm primarily a PC gamer, but every once in a while I just crave that console level of polish in a game.

Thus far, I got me some Mario 3D World, Hyrule Warriors, DKC: Tropical Freeze, and Mario Kart 8. And Nintendo Land, though I have no idea what the hell that is.

I am... becoming cuter.

You, in fact, are officially cute. :3:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The wii u is the best console with the best games. Congrats on getting the only console with fun games coming out for it in 2015.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The wii u is the best console with the best games. Congrats on getting the only console with fun games coming out for it in 2015.

Yeah, pretty much every third-party game worth a drat makes its way to PC nowadays, so the decision came down to first-party exclusives. And Nintendo wins that hands down. The best Mario Kart ever made? Princess Peach in a cat suit? A Zelda/Dynasty Warriors crossover? Captain Toad: Cute as gently caress? New Star Fox in 2015?? You can't beat that poo poo.

Plus, now that I think of it, I've owned every Nintendo console in its respective heyday. Except the GameCube. We don't talk about the GameCube.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm gonna talk about the Gamecube: It was good.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Gamecube was pretty legit, though? Metroid Prime and Melee.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Metroid Prime, Pikmin, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Eternal Darkness, F-Zero GX, Smash Bros. Melee, Paper Mario TTYD, lotta good games on the Gamecube.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Had a ton of good exclusives and most 3rd party games that ran better than the PS2 versions. Gamecube ruled tons.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Oh wow, don't sleep on Nintendo Land you all. I just got to play it after having my Wii U since this summer and it's really cute and fun, especially for how cheap it is. I remember it not getting good reviews, but that's probably because it isn't really a "buy this system because this game owns so much" kind of game when that's what people were looking for. You can easily get it for under thirty bucks and it's pretty creative in how it uses the gamepad. Well worth picking up to have a goofy little game you can play with buddies who don't want to smash or kart..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Legend of Zelda mini quest and Mario Chase are worth your time, to say the least. A big hit whenever I've brought them out, even moreso than Smash.

• Locked thread