Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

19 o'clock posted:

Have Ableton and an APC40 MKII? Here is my template for download:

Is the MkII worth buying? I have been using the APC40 for years both for composing and live performance and I love it, I also have a Push but have had a hard time integrating it into my workflow and still rely pretty heavily on the APC. But the MkII looks like some kind of cross between an APC and the Push, not sure if there'd be much point in upgrading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Earwicker posted:

Is the MkII worth buying? I have been using the APC40 for years both for composing and live performance and I love it, I also have a Push but have had a hard time integrating it into my workflow and still rely pretty heavily on the APC. But the MkII looks like some kind of cross between an APC and the Push, not sure if there'd be much point in upgrading.

I haven't used the Push, but the big difference I understand button-wise is that the MKII does not have velocity sensitive buttons. Besides that the MKII I feel is just a really nice update to the MKI. No power adapter needed, better feel, more road worthy, lower profile. I plugged in my MKI the other day and couldn't believe I put up with it.

I have to go run some friends down to the airport. I'll try and package up my MKI code later and send you a link.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

19 o'clock posted:

I haven't used the Push, but the big difference I understand button-wise is that the MKII does not have velocity sensitive buttons. Besides that the MKII I feel is just a really nice update to the MKI. No power adapter needed, better feel, more road worthy, lower profile. I plugged in my MKI the other day and couldn't believe I put up with it.

Yeah, the shape of the MK1 is certainly irritating especially if you are taking it out on a tour or something, hard to find any kind of case it fits in nicely and the MKII looks nice and flat and condensed.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Earwicker posted:

Yeah, the shape of the MK1 is certainly irritating especially if you are taking it out on a tour or something, hard to find any kind of case it fits in nicely and the MKII looks nice and flat and condensed.

Things are closer, too. So now I can use my meager hands to manipulate multiple encoders at once versus some trying stretches on the original.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

19 o'clock posted:

I have to go run some friends down to the airport. I'll try and package up my MKI code later and send you a link.
As a fellow APC40 MKI owner, I'd be interested in this as well, if it's not much hassle.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I took the 'wings' off of my mk1 to save space.

This reminds me, I'm wondering if someone who knows M4L wouldn't mind having a go at a simple LED feedback patch for me. I downloaded a nice 'APC40 Utilities' patch that turns the track select buttons into a metronome scroll. This is useful but I'd like to expand on it by having the clip stop buttons also counting measures; one each for every eight bars. I tried to expand some earlier M4L patches but got confused - could someone walk me through it? I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is there a website that offers some decent free presets?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

minidracula posted:

As a fellow APC40 MKI owner, I'd be interested in this as well, if it's not much hassle.

Sure thing. Was just on the road for almost eight hours dropping friends off at the airport. Gonna package it up and put it on the website and then link here.

Mister Speaker posted:

I took the 'wings' off of my mk1 to save space.

This reminds me, I'm wondering if someone who knows M4L wouldn't mind having a go at a simple LED feedback patch for me. I downloaded a nice 'APC40 Utilities' patch that turns the track select buttons into a metronome scroll. This is useful but I'd like to expand on it by having the clip stop buttons also counting measures; one each for every eight bars. I tried to expand some earlier M4L patches but got confused - could someone walk me through it? I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

We can do this. What I am going to do for this one is instantiate a LiveAPI object in JavaScript. I will assign it to listen to the global timecode dealio in Live (I don't know where it lies in the API, but can find it). From there I will build the callback function to read the measure/bar portion of the timecode. Modulo that by 8 should give us a remainder that can be used to light the appropriate light.

I'll post code and device once it's complete.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

minidracula posted:

Here ya go. I moved on to the MKII and made that my primary focus so that template gets all the fancy refinements over this one, but this was still my main template for the longest time.

[edit - message me]

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 2, 2016

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Mister Speaker posted:

Try this: [edit - message me]

To install drop the "MKI Metronome" device and the "Stop_Button_Metronome.js" files both into your "Max Audio Effect" folder. Open Live and drop the device from your Max Audio Effect browser into an audio track. If all goes well, you should be able to select your APC40 from the drop down menu, then press the button. Now your "Clip Stop" buttons will light up to match the current bar (1-8, 9-16, 17-24, etc). Grab the bar number from the master timecode at the top of the Live window and drag it up and down as a quick test for your APC40.

Definitely not the most elegant code, but it works as far as I can tell. I think that doing these things in JavaScript is wayyyyyy better than using conventional M4L. Let me know that it works!

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 2, 2016

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I was really intrigued with the APC 40 MK 2. I own a MK1 that I hardly ever ended up using (And yet somehow the up faders are glitchy and hosed up- fader 6 controls both 6 and 7, and fader 7 doesn't work. Not impressed; I hardly used it and it was stored for half a year before I discovered the problem and now it's out of warranty so \/:v:\/), but I've been using the Push for a year and a half; I really love it and I've been looking for a companion controller with channel faders that can help with mixing duties.

Alas, without motorized faders, I'll be playing a game of 'pick up' and 'guess the dbfs' when I scroll through channels. And since the Push can handle clip launching and automation recording, the rest of the MK2's features become kind of... Redundant I guess?

Sad because the aesthetic of the MK2 fits the Push so nicely. I'd be willing to pay quite a bit more for motorized faders.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Poizen Jam posted:

Sad because the aesthetic of the MK2 fits the Push so nicely. I'd be willing to pay quite a bit more for motorized faders.

Yeah, I wish it had motorized faders. My autopilot program would be rad as gently caress with faders automatically adjusting to the crossfade. I suppose I use the MKII by itself and don't scroll left/right within my set, so my faders are always correct. For how much it costs even new to market I feel it's a solid piece of equipment by itself, but then again, I'm obviously biased.

Here's a picture from a couple of weeks ago at a local pub. I roll laptop, a NI Komplete Audio 6, and the MKII. Because everything is USB powered it's pretty low profile setup and tear down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

So I made a midi mapping for Traktor that let's you use the APC40 to DJ with it. Would anyone be interested in me uploading the midi map file?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I feel like trying to understand Ableton style DJing is like reading Egyptian Hieroglyphs to me. I just can't really wrap my head around it.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Poizen Jam posted:

I feel like trying to understand Ableton style DJing is like reading Egyptian Hieroglyphs to me. I just can't really wrap my head around it.

Basic mixing is easy once you get used to warping tracks. Add some effects, EQ (I use combined high-pass and low-pass filters to a knob), looping and it's very doable.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Not 100% sure if I'm doing this right, but I'm trying to get this Akai MPK25 to work with Ableton. Ableton is recognizing the device but for some reason I can't change the Input in the MIDI/Sync tab to the device. Weird part is that it's worked before and just suddenly stopped working properly.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Speaking of my previous post about motorized faders, are there any good options with that feature for use with Ableton? Any with similar features to the apc40 Mk2 even? I'd really like a small midi mixing board to complement the push for my workflow- bonus points if you could conceivably use it for clip launching or automation.

Closest hing I can find is the BCF2000 but it's pretty much just the faders and a couple knobs which are a little redundant with a push setup.

I really, really wish there was a version of the MK2 with that feature.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
19 o'clock!!! Just wanted to let you know that I didn't miss your post, man! I've just been very busy with work and the holidays. I'm STOKED to check out that device you put together and will definitely let you know how it works as soon as I can! I'm excited to start actually creating things live, finally, and your work and ideas have been a huge inspiration. Thanks!!! Expect an awkward video outlining my live rig, very soon. Cheers!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Mister Speaker posted:

19 o'clock!!! Just wanted to let you know that I didn't miss your post, man! I've just been very busy with work and the holidays. I'm STOKED to check out that device you put together and will definitely let you know how it works as soon as I can! I'm excited to start actually creating things live, finally, and your work and ideas have been a huge inspiration. Thanks!!! Expect an awkward video outlining my live rig, very soon. Cheers!

Haha, no worries! It was a good exercise as I've never had to track global time and key signatures before. I just hope that it ports over correctly.

Actually, here's a question. I develop M4L devices and package them up for distribution. I know where on PC to direct users to install the M4L devices, but does anyone know specifically where they are on an Apple rig? I want to be able to include that instruction as well. Thanks!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It works swimmingly!!! Even seems to do the trick in odd meters. Thank you!

Now that you mention the M4L file directory, I actually don't know. I dragged the .axmd device to a track and hit its patch save icon to save a copy into my M4L library.

My live setup is really starting to come together. I'm picking up a Novation Ultranova and building a stand for all of it, and then I'll post a video of how it all works. I'm stoked. :)

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 30, 2014

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
The more I explore the out-of-the-package effects modules of Live 9 (Amp, Cabinet, EQ, Compressors, etc.) the more I realize how formidable and interesting they are. Does anyone else have any cool tricks that could be of use? I'm trying to slim down my reliance on vsts and focus on efficiency and productivity instead of fidgeting about which plugin to use. Gotta know your tools to utilize them though, so I'd like to really make the most of Live 9's built in toolkit.

Thanks in advance.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Digi_Kraken posted:

The more I explore the out-of-the-package effects modules of Live 9 (Amp, Cabinet, EQ, Compressors, etc.) the more I realize how formidable and interesting they are. Does anyone else have any cool tricks that could be of use? I'm trying to slim down my reliance on vsts and focus on efficiency and productivity instead of fidgeting about which plugin to use. Gotta know your tools to utilize them though, so I'd like to really make the most of Live 9's built in toolkit.

Thanks in advance.

When it comes to percussion, Corpus is a great tool for editing samples and giving them different characteristics. You can also make some really crazy sounds with it. If you wanna learn about it, check out these 2 vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcYLrhEM9c8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9r-X4KnWLk

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Mister Speaker posted:

It works swimmingly!!! Even seems to do the trick in odd meters. Thank you!

Now that you mention the M4L file directory, I actually don't know. I dragged the .axmd device to a track and hit its patch save icon to save a copy into my M4L library.

My live setup is really starting to come together. I'm picking up a Novation Ultranova and building a stand for all of it, and then I'll post a video of how it all works. I'm stoked. :)

Excellent, I'm glad! If it's that easy to install all the better.

E-mailed Ableton today to authorize an additional license for my second laptop (already on my first laptop and my desktop). They auth'd me for two more devices. Very easy to do and ensures I have a backup laptop for DJing now.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ They're great about that. Last time I asked for another license they gave me a couple extra ones as well.

Since I asked a similar question in the DJ thread, I'm becoming more curious about LED feedback. Is visual feedback for a MIDI-bound button something that can only be achieved via more custom M4L fuckery? I'd like to have visual feedback on the transport status of a multi-looper device I'm building and binding to a couple of clip matrix keys, as well as some Sampler cells with which I've done the same.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 30, 2014

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Mister Speaker posted:

^ They're great about that. Last time I asked for another license they gave me a couple extra ones as well.

Since I asked a similar question in the DJ thread, I'm becoming more curious about LED feedback. Is visual feedback for a MIDI-bound button something that can only be achieved via more custom M4L fuckery? I'd like to have visual feedback on the transport status of a multi-looper device I'm building and binding to a couple of clip matrix keys, as well as some Sampler cells with which I've done the same.

Yeah! They gave me two as well. Lord help me if I ever end up maintaining four Ableton machines at once.

As far as manipulating lights I haven't discovered any way to do it besides Live Object Model calls within M4L. Nothing native to Ableton has revealed itself to me. When I first started working on my own stuff almost a year ago I went down a variety of roads before settling on JavaScript and M4L. If you find another way, let us know. A controller's behavior appears to be determined by the midi remote scripts written in Python. These determine how controllers interact with Live and establish components (clip launch grids, mixer devices, transport elements, etc) and controls (button_elements that can be lit up and listened to, faders, dial encoders, etc).

I tried diving into the remote scripts but they are beyond my programming comprehension. Maybe it's time to learn Python. At the same time, though, I've had great success with JS and M4L so for now I'm golden.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Listen to the percussion in this track, Monochrome by Yoko Kanno. I absolutely love it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdp8kV0HWlg

All those little pieces whirring around, the clash of human and robot. By the end it's become extremely dense.

I had a quick go at trying to recreate just the first bars here: http://popcorn.gunsha.com/mono.mp3

I got the sound pretty close (using a sampled C78 if anyone's curious) but I programmed each beat manually. Obviously that'd be a pretty arduous task for an entire track of this nature.

I'm wondering if there's a smarter way to create beats like this using semi-randomised processes? I've experimented with Beat Repeat in Ableton, but haven't really come up with a comparable effect. That might just me being crap at Beat Repeat, though.

Likewise, I wonder if the staccato synth audible from the start was written out by hand or randomised somehow? It varies massively throughout the song.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Have you seen the Machinedrum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAkuJoGY1-8

edit: durr just realised this was the Ableton thread. Have a look at the dblue glitch plugin for randomised percussive effects.

David Pratt fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 4, 2015

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

David Pratt posted:

Have a look at the dblue glitch plugin for randomised percussive effects.

Dblue chops up and fucks with audio randomly, it's a different effect. I'm talking about type of randomised mid pattern triggering.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
19 0'clock, for some reason that eight-bar metronome device you penned has stopped working with my setup. I'm not sure if it's how I've saved it, put it in a group with other utility devices/metronomes, or what, but I can't seem to get those clip stop LEDs to light up anymore. Can you advise?

I might be able to fix it from here if you can walk me through but I'm no programmer. I'm also wondering if it can be edited to have the LEDs hold their colour state (or switch to orange) after the bar has played - e.g: instead of '_ _ _ _ _ X _' it would show '- - - - - X _'.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Mister Speaker posted:

19 0'clock, for some reason that eight-bar metronome device you penned has stopped working with my setup. I'm not sure if it's how I've saved it, put it in a group with other utility devices/metronomes, or what, but I can't seem to get those clip stop LEDs to light up anymore. Can you advise?

I might be able to fix it from here if you can walk me through but I'm no programmer. I'm also wondering if it can be edited to have the LEDs hold their colour state (or switch to orange) after the bar has played - e.g: instead of '_ _ _ _ _ X _' it would show '- - - - - X _'.

Does it still work when used by itself? In a group have you made sure to select the control surface and then hit the on button? Are there other devices that take over those lights? I guess I'm curious as to what happened between "working" and "not working". I especially want to know if it works by itself the way it did initially, so that we can rule out an installation issue. Heck, wrap up all the devices and set into a .zip file and send it my way (arreges@gmail.com) and I can take a look.

As for holding color? Absolutely. I don't think (will have to double check this) that the clip stop buttons work orange or red like the clip launch buttons do. I think they are just on-or-off green. I can whip up another version of the script to hold color, though.

Today was a long one at work and I am going to relax for the evening, but I can probably get this figured out tomorrow. Nothing to do but grad school apps and a rec sports meeting at 6pm.

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

Anybody happen to know whether there's any way to repurpose something like Addictive Drums for use as an actual drum rack as well? Or at least map individual kit pieces from it to pads somehow? I've been playing around more with step sequencing beats on my Push recently and it'd be awesome to have the extra flexibility of a) being able to hot swap different kit pieces/drum sounds between the AD racks and the ones in Ableton, and b) getting Push to read/play AD as a drum rack instead of a melodic instrument like it does now.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
It can be done with Battery so I'd think you'd be able to do the same somehow.

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

shoplifter posted:

It can be done with Battery so I'd think you'd be able to do the same somehow.

Oh, interesting - how does it work with Battery? Any idea?

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Pretty sure this is how I did it, even though this article isn't Battery specific.

http://www.lynda.com/articles/using-3rd-party-drum-plugins-ableton-push

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

shoplifter posted:

Pretty sure this is how I did it, even though this article isn't Battery specific.

http://www.lynda.com/articles/using-3rd-party-drum-plugins-ableton-push

Oh man, awesome - thanks! Seems to work like a charm for both AD and Battery for me; pretty much exactly what I was looking for! :crafty:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

19 o'clock posted:

Re: Clip Stop Bar Counter
Does it still work when used by itself? In a group have you made sure to select the control surface and then hit the on button? Are there other devices that take over those lights? I guess I'm curious as to what happened between "working" and "not working". I especially want to know if it works by itself the way it did initially, so that we can rule out an installation issue. Heck, wrap up all the devices and set into a .zip file and send it my way (arreges@gmail.com) and I can take a look.

As for holding color? Absolutely. I don't think (will have to double check this) that the clip stop buttons work orange or red like the clip launch buttons do. I think they are just on-or-off green. I can whip up another version of the script to hold color, though.

Today was a long one at work and I am going to relax for the evening, but I can probably get this figured out tomorrow. Nothing to do but grad school apps and a rec sports meeting at 6pm.

I totally gapped on replying to you some time ago, sorry.

No, it won't work if I put it on a new track by itself. I selected the control surface (actually it's selected by default when the device is loaded) and hit the button next to it - which doesn't hold its state, I wonder if this is related? There are no other devices that take over the lights; no MIDI mappings of any of the Clip Stop buttons.

I did group it with a couple of other utility devices - a big metronome/tempo readout and APC40 Utilities (for the Track Select buttons scrolling metronome), and that's when it seemed to stop working. But since then I've tried the device on its own, on other tracks and I can't get the Clip Stop LEDs to give visual feedback anymore. :(

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I finally upgraded my APC40 to the mark 2. If anyone else is on the fence about it, I'll chime in to recommend it, it is a solid improvement mostly due to the changes to the physical shape and the build quality. It's substantially more flat, low, and rectangular so it fits nicely in a suitcase or backpack much more easily than the mk1. The only drawback of this is there is not as much room if you like to put down some tape to label your tracks. All of the slider and knobs are much better quality and far less likely to pop off in transit. Other than the pretty clip colors that's basically it, but IMO if you rely on an ACP40 heavily it's worth the switch due to the compactness.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Mister Speaker posted:

I totally gapped on replying to you some time ago, sorry.

No, it won't work if I put it on a new track by itself. I selected the control surface (actually it's selected by default when the device is loaded) and hit the button next to it - which doesn't hold its state, I wonder if this is related? There are no other devices that take over the lights; no MIDI mappings of any of the Clip Stop buttons.

I did group it with a couple of other utility devices - a big metronome/tempo readout and APC40 Utilities (for the Track Select buttons scrolling metronome), and that's when it seemed to stop working. But since then I've tried the device on its own, on other tracks and I can't get the Clip Stop LEDs to give visual feedback anymore. :(

I totally gapped on writing the new version to include holding the lit lights until refreshing the cycle. Sorry, I'll make it happen.

In that case I am wondering if it is installed correctly? Simply because the way the "js" objects work in M4L. Did you copy both the .js file and the .amxd files into your M4L folder? It's the only thing that I can think of at this point. The button doesn't hold it's state because, well, I didn't think to go that far with a toggle. It just sends a "bang" message to the .js file for it to begin it's thing. Once I get some time I'll whip it all up.

Going to NAMM tomorrow. Wish that the Ableton guys were there but apparently not this year. Still will be fun to check out the new gear stuff.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
For semi randomised drum patterns, perhaps try programming a bunch of variations on a beat (ie some with intense fills), along with some clips that are only a quarter or half a bar long and use follow actions in session view with appropriate launch quantisation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

any eta on new version yet?