Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

I wonder if it will stick around, Eleven was a 20 something wearing old man clothes so why not reverse it.

If they're going that way, I think his coat with the sparkly t-shirt underneath works best. Much more casual and he stops standing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

adhuin posted:

Doctor is really clueless about people senile:

:j: Am I still old?

:v: I dunno, you tell me. (hands mirror)

He is a time alien, maybe he sees time a bit differently than us? He seemed to have moments where he slipped between seeing Amy as she was, and as she had been as a little girl despite only knowing little Amelia for a few hours. A little non-linear perception where timelords sometimes perceive people as they were, are, and may become wouldn't be totally out of line. It could even help them recognise old timelords in new faces, a thing they've been able to do some of the time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Star Platinum posted:

Re: Capaldi's Doctor, there were certainly a couple of missteps taken with his character, but I think mostly they've been able to let his "humanity" (uh, timelord-ity?) shine through in the end. Especially at the end of this episode they were really able to sell him as a "kid in an old man's body" with his childlike wonder at steering Santa's sleigh.
Also I bet when Capaldi delivered the line "Look at me, I'm riding a sleigh!" :neckbeard: he was actually thinking "Look at me, I'm Doctor Who!" :neckbeard: :3:

Maybe it's just because I have it, but Twelve's clicking the most for me when he reads like he's got Asperger's. He cares, and he's got genuine feelings, he's just bad at expressing them when he needs to. He doesn't step over the line intentionally, he just doesn't realize it's there. That's probably not their intended direction for him, but it's the way that I think works the best.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gaz-L posted:

If they're going that way, I think his coat with the sparkly t-shirt underneath works best. Much more casual and he stops standing out.

By the end of the season he'll be wearing tracksuit bottoms with "Juicy" written across the arse.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

SiKboy posted:

By the end of the season he'll be wearing tracksuit bottoms with "Juicy" written across the arse.

The Doctor is a basic bitch

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Brigadier Sockface posted:

He was wearing a hoodie.

Ten: The Man Who Regrets
Eleven: The One Who Forgets
Twelve: The One Who Stands His Ground

I'll see myself out...

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

TL posted:

I'll see myself out...

If this joke is what I think it is, I sincerely hope that you are in a non-fatal car accident in the very near future

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

TL posted:

I'll see myself out...

Oh now you've done it!

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

SiKboy posted:

wait, wait.

wait.

oh, god.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neowyrm posted:

wait, wait.

wait.

oh, god.

Wait, but that would make Rose the Doctor's daughter and :psyboom:.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

TL posted:

I'll see myself out...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Can somebody explain the reference, I'm way too tired.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I haven't posted in a DW thread in like a year but this last season and now this Christmas special, Jesus Christ. This was the first time since the revival that I haven't made a point of setting time aside to watch the Christmas special as soon as I could. Every bit of this was just loving horrible.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

This was the best Christmas special in a long time. The only thing I didn't like was the Old Clara fakeout. It would have been a great send off for her.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hughlander posted:

Trayvon Martin I think.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Hughlander posted:

A Stand-Your-Ground law is a law that is an extension of the Castle Doctrine. Basically it says you can shoot someone if you feel that you face an imminent danger, wherease in Castle Doctrine states you can only shoot someone if you feel an imminent danger in your own home.

George Zimmerman, the crazy dude who murdered Trayvon Martin, was defended under a Stand-Your-Ground law. Part of the media discussion about Zimmerman feeling threatened fixated on Martin wearing a Hoodie, which was perceived as threatening behaviour.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 27, 2014

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

TL posted:

I'll see myself out...

Holy God.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

TL posted:

I'll see myself out...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It was nice of them to directly point out the episode's inspirations. That's pretty much the only thing I enjoyed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It was nice of them to directly point out the episode's inspirations. That's pretty much the only thing I enjoyed.

My favourite bit was them doing their damnedest to tell the kiddies that Santa isn't real for most of the episode.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Or is he??

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My favourite bit was them doing their damnedest to tell the kiddies that Santa isn't real for most of the episode.

They had Santa admit that and say what does it matter? Because....what does it matter if Santa isn't real? Santa still saved them. Who cares if he's just a fairytale, he's a pretty good one all told.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I've only just had a chance to watch it and catch up on the thread. I liked it as an episode but it just didn't feel very Christmas Special to me. I always think the special should be a bit more over the top/silly/magical than normal Doctor Who, that's pretty much how it's always been. RTD ones turned the camp up to 11 and Moffat ones have gone for fairy tales but either way they all have a very different feel to normal episodes (except End of Time which I always forget is a Christmas special). This one just felt like a normal episode, although it was a pretty good one. I found Shona incredibly familiar but couldn't work out why until I caught up with the thread and saw the mentions of Lucie Miller. That's really exactly it and I would totally go for her as a companion with Twelve.

Anyway, the one thing that really bugged me was the emphasis on "every second you're asleep a monster is boring into your skull and eating your brains and you're dying you only have a few minutes before it really damages your brain hurry hurry hurry" but the characters still taking their time talking and running around and not seeming to care about that even after they prove to themselves that they're still dreaming. I just felt like yelling at the TV the whole time. I know they did mention something about dream time being compressed compared to real time but even then you'd think you'd want to spend as little time as possible with an alien monster literally eating your brain. I know it's just TV and it wouldn't have made such a good episode if they'd been more efficient about checking their sleep status and waking themselves up but I think the episode could have been better written to handle the issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't already established that the Ninth Doctor is Father Christmas?

"Red bicycle when you were twelve" and all that?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I so want Shona as companion in the future. Come on, it's possible.

"My. Little. Pony."
"Shut up you."
"Yeah? I got lots more, babe."
"I WILL MARK YOU, SANTA."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rhyno posted:

The Doctor fibs, and certainly has the means to look that sort of thing up.

And besides, who says he still isn't? The Santa/Doctor dynamic had more than a hint of a The X Doctors shtick about it.

And of course, that episode aired, like, nine-and-a-half years ago. That's AGES.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The Master is Santa, (s)he does it solely because spending a day per year being kind to every child on Earth confuses the gently caress out of The Doctor.

Except the off years. The off years he's Krampus.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaz-L posted:

The sparkly shirt needs to be shot into the sun. Along with that blouse he wore for one ep.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Davros1 posted:

The sparkly shirt needs to be shot into the sun. Along with that blouse he wore for one ep.

I guess I'm not seeing it. I've been too enthralled with Capaldi's performance that I never notice what he wears. The "magician" comments this episode were the first time I ever really noticed!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That whole exchange is one of my favourite things in all of Who, and it stands perfectly without requiring any explanation. If you want to get into explaining it though it could be a timey wimey thing where the Doctor says that, planning to later go back in time and make sure young Rose gets that bike.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Not every throwaway joke needs an expla-

There's a twenty-thousand word article about the eleven distinct explanations for Father Christmas and how to reconcile them all on the Doctor Who Wiki, isn't there?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

docbeard posted:

Not every throwaway joke needs an expla-

There's a twenty-thousand word article about the eleven distinct explanations for Father Christmas and how to reconcile them all on the Doctor Who Wiki, isn't there?

I looked it up, the Santa article is remarkably lucid for a Tardis wiki entry.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

Do you mean this Paul Smith jumper?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

DoctorWhat posted:

The Doctor fibs, and certainly has the means to look that sort of thing up.

And besides, who says he still isn't? The Santa/Doctor dynamic had more than a hint of a The X Doctors shtick about it.

And of course, that episode aired, like, nine-and-a-half years ago. That's AGES.

There's also Matt Smith mentioning hanging out with Sinatra and Santa, "or as I like to call him, Jeff" in A Christmas Carol.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just because your Secret Santa was batshit crazy* doesn't mean other people can't enjoy Nick Frost playing it straight! :sassargh:

* Me IRL.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I liked the most recent episode.

Maybe Moffat needs to stick to one and two parters and stop doing series long story arcs (and also stop being show-runner) because all his Moffatty poo poo worked well here, in a more self contained form.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I wish he'd at least get some story arc lessons. His idea of developing a plot over a season is for Missy to show up and wave at the camera every couple of episodes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

2house2fly posted:

I wish he'd at least get some story arc lessons. His idea of developing a plot over a season is for Missy to show up and wave at the camera every couple of episodes.

Series 8's arc was not about the Master. The only thing she really did in continuation of that arc was give him the Cyberman army at the end.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The_Doctor posted:

Do you mean this Paul Smith jumper?

I really hate that (no doubt hyper-expensive) hobo jumper.

The only thing worse is that ghastly polka dot shirt he wore in Kill The Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

After The War posted:

Just because your Secret Santa was batshit crazy* doesn't mean other people can't enjoy Nick Frost playing it straight! :sassargh:

* Me IRL.

I'm pretty sure your cd broke me.

• Locked thread