Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
everything story-related in dark souls 2 is hosed up because 4 different companies were hired to do translations and 3 of them phoned it in and mistranslated a bunch of poo poo or, worse, wrote something completely different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

THE PENETRATOR posted:

everything story-related in dark souls 2 is hosed up because 4 different companies were hired to do translations and 3 of them phoned it in and mistranslated a bunch of poo poo or, worse, wrote something completely different

read fine to me I literally do not understand this complaint at all please provide example

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Stux posted:

nah destiny is on point with both actually. it's less RNG based but otherwise it's on it and I don't really see the marks situation as worse as you are guaranteed to get your gear rather than being likely to have to wait loving ages for gear. not playing it now as ive got loads of other games to play but ill come back to it after all the dlc is out

The RPG elements are completely piss-poor. There's no town portal equivalent, the loot is barebones, the UI is typical console garbage, a pathetic amount of areas/content, stats and classes barely even matter, no RPG style character development at all. The shooting is really solid at least, but it's still pretty poo poo as a Diablo-like.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Is there a game recommendation thread?

I'd like to find something like Mechwarrior4; single player, mech customization, pc, some semblance of a story to play through. Graphics are good but anything even in the last 5-10 years would be fine.

edt: \/\/\/Thanks!

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 27, 2014

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Internetjack posted:

Is there a game recommendation thread?

I'd like to find something like Mechwarrior4; single player, mech customization, pc, some semblance of a story to play through. Graphics are good but anything even in the last 5-10 years would be fine.

Go here and stay out of this one. This thread is for serious business (slap fights and hissy fits about dumb games for babbys.)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3196783

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

Stux posted:

read fine to me I literally do not understand this complaint at all please provide example

I've never heard anything about phoned in translations, but I do think a lot of the lore of dark souls 2 is pretty boring. I think the issue is that everything seems to have no real weight within the game world.

I think I noticed the pointlessness of the lore when I got to the lost sinner. The buildup is really cool. You go to this tower on the edge of nowhere called sinner's rise. You go way down underground and cross this vast, totally silent lake and enter a dark cell and there's partially restrained, masked figure called the lost sinner. And boy is she creepy as hell! I remember thinking "goddamn I bet the story behind her is really cool!"

But then it's all poo poo like "The Lost Sinner eternally punishes herself for the sins of her past". Her sword's description is just "The true nature of this sword is unknown, even to the Lost Sinner herself". Like, what the gently caress is this poo poo? It's not mysterious, it's just a non-explanation! The lore in the first game was really cool because it explained some things, implied other things, and left just enough to the imagination that the whole world felt really deep. The second game just doesn't explain anything, which is boring and uninspired. I realize this is a lot of angry words about game lore, but it's what made me love the first game. The second game had better overall gameplay, but the lore was so uninteresting that I don't love the game like I love the first.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HvCrnMZJCA

good video

but, From has stated that the re-release will contain improved and more complete translations, meaning the translations from the original version were either not up to par (aka bad), or bad (aka bad)

THE PENETRATOR fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 27, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well, I built a PC today. I'm scared to death that I hurt some of the stuff before I even got to use it; I had a hard time installing the heat sink to the motherboard and that little bracket thing you put on the back of the mobo got free once and swung around touching all sorts of poo poo, I messed up applying thermal paste the first time and had to rub it all of with a cotton swab and some isopropyl, dropped the hard drive on accident, and I'm paranoid that static got on it even though I used an anti-static bracelet almost the entire time. gently caress me, man, I need a drink. I'll feel terrible if I learn I broke everything when I boot it up tomorrow :(

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Adam Bowen posted:

The RPG elements are completely piss-poor. There's no town portal equivalent, the loot is barebones, the UI is typical console garbage, a pathetic amount of areas/content, stats and classes barely even matter, no RPG style character development at all. The shooting is really solid at least, but it's still pretty poo poo as a Diablo-like.

town portal is just bizarre to bring up. the loot isn't barebones whatever that means? the weapons have cool effects and upgrade options, same with armour, UI works with console controls, absolutely no less content than D3, classes are incredibly different and change entire playstyle and gear choices (not as different as diablo but otoh they have to all use guns so you can't have huge huge differences), you have multiple skill choices, stat choices and gear with different stat upgrades, ability buffs and general effects. it is a good and fun game.

Problem Sleuth posted:

I've never heard anything about phoned in translations, but I do think a lot of the lore of dark souls 2 is pretty boring. I think the issue is that everything seems to have no real weight within the game world.

I think I noticed the pointlessness of the lore when I got to the lost sinner. The buildup is really cool. You go to this tower on the edge of nowhere called sinner's rise. You go way down underground and cross this vast, totally silent lake and enter a dark cell and there's partially restrained, masked figure called the lost sinner. And boy is she creepy as hell! I remember thinking "goddamn I bet the story behind her is really cool!"

But then it's all poo poo like "The Lost Sinner eternally punishes herself for the sins of her past". Her sword's description is just "The true nature of this sword is unknown, even to the Lost Sinner herself". Like, what the gently caress is this poo poo? It's not mysterious, it's just a non-explanation! The lore in the first game was really cool because it explained some things, implied other things, and left just enough to the imagination that the whole world felt really deep. The second game just doesn't explain anything, which is boring and uninspired. I realize this is a lot of angry words about game lore, but it's what made me love the first game. The second game had better overall gameplay, but the lore was so uninteresting that I don't love the game like I love the first.

it's really funny you brought up lost sinner of all things, she was being punished for attempting to relight the first flame, as the player does in DS1, the bug that crawls into her eye at the start of the fight is the witch of izalith in this timeline and uses her as a puppet, although it is likely she is related to the line as well as her gear boosts pyromancy. in fact all of the bosses and game has huge ties to the first and is a reincarnation of the cycle, with the great souls being the same as the first game. i think you might've missed a lot of stuff

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

THE PENETRATOR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HvCrnMZJCA

good video

but, From has stated that the re-release will contain improved and more complete translations, meaning the translations from the original version were either not up to par (aka bad), or bad (aka bad)

lmao I started reading the pastebin, these complaints are ridiculous and I hope they don't change the translation, I like that it's different and I don't think those differences are bad at all. it's like when they changed some of the translations in the first game, nah, it's better how it is and things not being certain etc add to the whole dark souls vibe

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
Alright, fair enough. I thought the video was kind of weak too to be honest.

I'll try giving ds2 another shot. It's a game I'd really like to be wrong about. I don't think it'll ever live up to the first in my mind but it might be a lot more worthy than my first impression

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Problem Sleuth posted:

Alright, fair enough. I thought the video was kind of weak too to be honest.

I'll try giving ds2 another shot. It's a game I'd really like to be wrong about. I don't think it'll ever live up to the first in my mind but it might be a lot more worthy than my first impression

get the dlc as well and play them as you progress through the game, they're incredibly good and better than the base game even

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I think the point of a translation should be to let people who don't know the original language something was written in understand it. Making changes is fine when necessary, but -- idk, maybe it's just me who has a problem with this -- making unnecessary changes to stuff that doesn't need to be changed and isn't improved in any way by the change just feels lovely. When I read a translation of something, I want it to actually be a proper translation and not some stuff the translators made up because they didn't actually want to translate anything. I'll let it slide if there's already a full proper translation out there, in that case there's no real harm done, but if you're making the only available translation for something, I think it's fairly justifiable to be upset if the translation isn't an accurate representation of the original script. I haven't actually played Dark Souls 2, I've only played a few hours of DS1, but based on what I've heard and what I've seen in that video, I think it's totally justifiable to complain about the translation and want it redone to be more faithful.

idk i'm a weirdo dumb butt

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I bought Postal 2 on a lark because it was 99 cents but for some reason the developers are still supporting it. Like, they just released a patch a few months ago and now the game has Steam Workshop integration and achievements and it's really freaking me out seeing 15 year-old jokes about the Taliban and Senator Lieberman alongside the guys from Workaholics and Chuck Testa references :psyboom:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Colonel posted:

I think the point of a translation should be to let people who don't know the original language something was written in understand it. Making changes is fine when necessary, but -- idk, maybe it's just me who has a problem with this -- making unnecessary changes to stuff that doesn't need to be changed and isn't improved in any way by the change just feels lovely. When I read a translation of something, I want it to actually be a proper translation and not some stuff the translators made up because they didn't actually want to translate anything. I'll let it slide if there's already a full proper translation out there, in that case there's no real harm done, but if you're making the only available translation for something, I think it's fairly justifiable to be upset if the translation isn't an accurate representation of the original script. I haven't actually played Dark Souls 2, I've only played a few hours of DS1, but based on what I've heard and what I've seen in that video, I think it's totally justifiable to complain about the translation and want it redone to be more faithful.

idk i'm a weirdo dumb butt

its just weird to me because people complained in DS1 when they gave it better translations, and now the issues on DS2, which from the pastebin are ridiculously minor, mean people are flipping out?

the whole point of the games is that the lore is barely explained out right and open to interpretation, the slight mistranslations don't really affect this in any meaningful way for anyone but the most hardcore lore nerds, and to be honest i don't actually care about them at all.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, I built a PC today. I'm scared to death that I hurt some of the stuff before I even got to use it; I had a hard time installing the heat sink to the motherboard and that little bracket thing you put on the back of the mobo got free once and swung around touching all sorts of poo poo, I messed up applying thermal paste the first time and had to rub it all of with a cotton swab and some isopropyl, dropped the hard drive on accident, and I'm paranoid that static got on it even though I used an anti-static bracelet almost the entire time. gently caress me, man, I need a drink. I'll feel terrible if I learn I broke everything when I boot it up tomorrow :(

I wouldn't worry hugely. I built my first real PC not to long ago and it was a nightmare. Guess it was my own fault for choosing the Prodigy as a case, but I, in no particular order:

Cut myself on the heatsink.
Accidentally bent one of the pins on the motherboard.
Dropped my very expensive graphics card.

Thankfully despite my incompetence everything worked fine.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

computer internals are more resilient than people think. static is the main issue and even then just touching something grounded before touching a component and not doing it on carpet is enough to stop it so if you had a band on the whole time you'll be fine.

I've had countless heatsink levers etc fly about smashing stuff, cleaned off thermal paste with high proof alcohol (didn't have isopropyl v:shobon:v )etc. hard drives are generally ok on drops that aren't like 10 ft onto a hard surface, the real issue is when they're on and dropped they can gently caress up. unplugged etc its going to be fine though.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Stux posted:

its just weird to me because people complained in DS1 when they gave it better translations, and now the issues on DS2, which from the pastebin are ridiculously minor, mean people are flipping out?

the whole point of the games is that the lore is barely explained out right and open to interpretation, the slight mistranslations don't really affect this in any meaningful way for anyone but the most hardcore lore nerds, and to be honest i don't actually care about them at all.

yeah but see was cool

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

but like most things demons souls did it best

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

weird translations that aren't unreadable are cool and own, imo

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

lol @ anyone who DIDN'T take a victory lap around the room the first time they saw THE DEMON WAS DESTROYED

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the "Thanks Obama" PC mod should be a built in option on all versions of every souls game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Stux posted:

computer internals are more resilient than people think. static is the main issue and even then just touching something grounded before touching a component and not doing it on carpet is enough to stop it so if you had a band on the whole time you'll be fine.

I've had countless heatsink levers etc fly about smashing stuff, cleaned off thermal paste with high proof alcohol (didn't have isopropyl v:shobon:v )etc. hard drives are generally ok on drops that aren't like 10 ft onto a hard surface, the real issue is when they're on and dropped they can gently caress up. unplugged etc its going to be fine though.

When I was in college and dual core was the new thing I had an HP media center PC that I would lug around on plane flights to and from home, about 2.8k miles away. I didn't want to pay shipping so I always stuffed the whole tower into a carry-on bag, through airport security, let it get knocked around however many times. I owned that heap of junk for almost eight years and the only components that ever failed were the RAM (twice) and PSU (once). It still runs goddamn Diablo 3 at a steady 30 FPS on medium settings.

I'm much more paranoid about not loving up my computer now that I'm older and spent a lot of money on my new one.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

When I was in college and dual core was the new thing I had an HP media center PC that I would lug around on plane flights to and from home, about 2.8k miles away. I didn't want to pay shipping so I always stuffed the whole tower into a carry-on bag, through airport security, let it get knocked around however many times. I owned that heap of junk for almost eight years and the only components that ever failed were the RAM (twice) and PSU (once). It still runs goddamn Diablo 3 at a steady 30 FPS on medium settings.

I'm much more paranoid about not loving up my computer now that I'm older and spent a lot of money on my new one.

yeah, i used to have my old GaMiNg Pc with the side off, eventually with HDDs etc on the floor next to it because i couldn't be bothered to mount them and all sorts of stupidity like that. thing still went along without giving a gently caress.

PSUs are sketchy, had one die and give off smoke in my grandmas PC, sent it off for RMA, got the new one back and fitted it, hit the power with it still on its side and open with my head near it and it loving exploded (slightly) gently caress them gently caress em

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I somehow bent the pins on pretty much every CPU I ever installed on any computer that belonged to me or my parents and then had to meticulously bend them back into shape one at a time, absolutely positive I had just ruined the CPU, and every single time I eventually got them straight enough to go back in the socket and everything worked fine. And those heat sink clips that you had to use a screwdriver to install holy poo poo I have jammed screwdrivers into motherboards so hard while installing those that I was positive something must be damaged, but again every time it worked out fine.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

One of these days I'll actually beat Dark Souls 2

Typically I spend a ton of time agonizing over a character archetype, get past the second or so area, go :geno: and stop playing again :(

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Typically I spend a ton of time agonizing over a character archetype, get past the second or so area, go :geno: and stop playing again :(

you get loads of stat reset items though uhhhh it doesn't matter just play the thing and switch ur build whenever u feel like it?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Ciaphas posted:

Ah, that is a classic RPG problem

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

SunAndSpring posted:

are you a surgeon by any chance

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
he is a computer surgeon

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Operation is the most triggering of board games.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Pls don't bully.

Well, I plugged it into a monitor, and I'm not getting a boot screen. CPU fan and graphics card seem to be working fine, so I dunno what the problem is. Maybe it's because I'm using a lovely old monitor until my HD one ships, but I dunno.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SunAndSpring posted:

Pls don't bully.

Well, I plugged it into a monitor, and I'm not getting a boot screen. CPU fan and graphics card seem to be working fine, so I dunno what the problem is. Maybe it's because I'm using a lovely old monitor until my HD one ships, but I dunno.

did the mobo or case come with a PC speaker, beep codes can help tell if it's making it through POST

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this guide helped me once upon a time

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Ciaphas posted:

did the mobo or case come with a PC speaker, beep codes can help tell if it's making it through POST

also this

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I don't think so, which is a bit annoying.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
does your mobo have integrated graphics? it may be outputting video on that port

if so once you can get some video you can go into the BIOS and set it to output on the video card ports

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Would the CPU fan be working if the mobo was shorted?

Also, yeah I believe it has integrated graphics, but that wouldn't be a problem because I'm using the DVI port.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SunAndSpring posted:

I don't think so, which is a bit annoying.

you would have plugged it in to the motherboard, probably near the CMOS battery, tiny little cylindrical thing with 2 wires

if you didn't get one I'd suggest picking one up, they're a couple bucks I think, then if you plug that in and get a beep code, look that up in your mobo manual

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

you would have plugged it in to the motherboard, probably near the CMOS battery, tiny little cylindrical thing with 2 wires

if you didn't get one I'd suggest picking one up, they're a couple bucks I think, then if you plug that in and get a beep code, look that up in your mobo manual

Alright, I think I'll just pull out the mobo, double check to see if I didn't do something dumb like leave a stand somewhere it shouldn't be, and hopefully get it working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

Alright, I think I'll just pull out the mobo, double check to see if I didn't do something dumb like leave a stand somewhere it shouldn't be, and hopefully get it working.

This is going to sound incredibly stupid, but did you remember to put your memory in? I forgot to do that the first time I built a computer.

• Locked thread