Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Sanguine posted:

A few months back I grabbed a couple of kits and an Iwata Eclipse off of a goon, and I've FINALLY gotten around to them. (thanks Keyser!)

First up was the Hasawega Hurricane Mk 1 trop. Really nice to build, but I ran into major issues on the first sealant coat. That's what I get for using cheap matt sprays! Wound up with crazy window frosting and nasty orange peel on the upper surface. It was looking so good till then, too..
:negative:

Pre snafu:

Post snafu:

When I was younger, I did the same thing to one of my models. My dad used acetone on it for me and it seemed to work pretty well. You could maybe try that very carefully?

E: For content snype, I tried using moss to make a tree last night at 3 A.M. The bunches are a little too small for that scale tree. The branches and trunk are the twisted copper wire method you see a lot. And then some sculpey just to see how that would look. I'd definitely try again with a slightly smaller trunk/branch structure. I quit halfway through because it looked okay, but not awesome, and it was just a test anyway. I've never tried making a tree before.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Rotten Cookies posted:

When I was younger, I did the same thing to one of my models. My dad used acetone on it for me and it seemed to work pretty well. You could maybe try that very carefully?

E: For content snype, I tried using moss to make a tree last night at 3 A.M. The bunches are a little too small for that scale tree. The branches and trunk are the twisted copper wire method you see a lot. And then some sculpey just to see how that would look. I'd definitely try again with a slightly smaller trunk/branch structure. I quit halfway through because it looked okay, but not awesome, and it was just a test anyway. I've never tried making a tree before.

Looks okay so far. I've never tried putting any leaves on trees made this way (I've only used them in winter dioramas), but if you finish puttying up the wire and paint it, it looks like it could be a realistic tree.

Commissar Canuck posted:

SAS Jeep complete! :britain:

This was my first real test with weathering pigments, nothing too fancy though. I mostly brushed the dry pigments on without a medium to give the whole model a dusty look to it.

Very nice, looks packed to the brim with gear just like any SAS Jeep should be. Was that the "Pink Panther" kit?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Anyone know of any container ship kits? I'm a dumbass logistics nerd.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
AMT 1/25 1966 Mustang.

Got this for $3 so just had some fun with it.

E:

George Zimmer posted:

Revell do one:
http://modelkitsreview.com/revell-germany-colombo-express/

Apparently discontinued though. Maybe try ebay?

E2: These guys have one on their site:
http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/acatalog/Revel_plastic_model_boat_kits.html

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 20, 2014

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Commissar Canuck posted:

SAS Jeep complete! :britain:

This was my first real test with weathering pigments, nothing too fancy though. I mostly brushed the dry pigments on without a medium to give the whole model a dusty look to it.

I really like this especially the pigments in the tread of the tyres, however I would really recommend that you hit it with some form of matt varnish or dull coat just to finish it off and get rid of that sheen. Excellent work though.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Unkempt posted:

AMT 1/25 1966 Mustang.

E:

Revell do one:
http://modelkitsreview.com/revell-germany-colombo-express/

Apparently discontinued though. Maybe try ebay?

E2: These guys have one on their site:
http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/acatalog/Revel_plastic_model_boat_kits.html

Awesome, thanks!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

George Zimmer posted:

You can also get individual containers from Italeri in 1/24 and 1/35.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Nebakenezzer posted:

You can also get individual containers from Italeri in 1/24 and 1/35.

Cool. My wife has this unusual love for everything cube-shaped, and a dozen 1/24 containers might just be enough to make her tolerate my model building hobby.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

lilljonas posted:

Cool. My wife has this unusual love for everything cube-shaped, and a dozen 1/24 containers might just be enough to make her tolerate my model building hobby.

No problem. I've wanted to get one and make it look like it came out of Black Mesa, but that reference is so old I don't think anybody'd get it anymore.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

No problem. I've wanted to get one and make it look like it came out of Black Mesa, but that reference is so old I don't think anybody'd get it anymore.

Still relevant.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Unkempt posted:

AMT 1/25 1966 Mustang.

This is awesome, makes me want to get a cheap Mig-21 kit and go to town.

Then frosted windows will be fine :argh:

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Is there a difference between regular house paint primer and the model primer or are they basically the same thing?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Chillyrabbit posted:

Is there a difference between regular house paint primer and the model primer or are they basically the same thing?

Are you talking about house paint primer out of a gallon can? If you mean spraycan primer, I've used Krylon White primer and it works just fine. I think "model primer" is just marketing bullshit.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

SkunkDuster posted:

Are you talking about house paint primer out of a gallon can? If you mean spraycan primer, I've used Krylon White primer and it works just fine. I think "model primer" is just marketing bullshit.

spray can stuff, that says use plastics, metals, woods etc. I have some of that stuff lying around and honestly didn't want to pay for more "marketing poo poo"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, spray primers are perfectly fine. The stuff in the paint-can, no, just no.

I actually did a test of a bunch of spray primers a while back. The best was the Tamiya Fine Surface Primer. Had good coverage, and produced a very nice surface. The downside is it costs an arm and a leg, and you get a dinky little can for that price. The best of the rest was the Rustoleum Painter's Touch Primer. It had good coverage as well, and gave a surface finish very, very close to the Tamiya spray. It's also dirt cheap and you get a fuckoff huge can of it. I also tried the Krylon primer as well, as so many people seem to use it. I was frankly surprised at how poorly it fared for me. The finished surface was nothing to write home about, and the coverage was abysmal. What took 1-2 coats with the others took 10 coats with Krylon. It just would not cover well. I'd go over and over the same spot, and it just covered like crap.

So go with Tamiya if money is no issue, otherwise go with Rustoleum Painter's Touch Primer.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Be careful though, I once bought a spray primer from a DIY place that turned out to be unusable because the paint was very thick and formed a texture that destroyed any details. So I guess there are primers that are meant for rougher works around the house, and don't work for hobby stuff at all.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, spray primers are perfectly fine. The stuff in the paint-can, no, just no.

So go with Tamiya if money is no issue, otherwise go with Rustoleum Painter's Touch Primer.

I'll double check what the spray can is since its at my grandmothers house, but I guess in summary best results go with fine surface model primer otherwise some household primers like rustoleum is decent.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I use spraypaint from the "urban art" section of the local art store. Works well enough, dries really quickly, cheaper than the stuff made specifically for models. Colour selection is limited, naturally, but I just use their dark gray most of the time.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Moss tree, Pt. II Figurine in for scale.

Came out better, I think. It helps that I actually sculpted and painted the trunk. I didn't really try to color match any moss, but I think it came out alright, even if there are some wildly mismatched bunches of leaves in there. I "sealed" the moss with spray adhesive and matte spray just because. I want that poo poo to stay. I think the scale of this one is right for the moss I used. It also makes pretty kickass shrubbery all by itself.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Primer chat - I will admit that I have fallen for marketing when it comes to primers. I used a can of Armory White primer and didn't find it to be any better than hardware store primer. I also picked up a jar of Mr. Surfacer 1200 because I wanted to prime with my airbrush without decanting from a spray can. Overall, it is the best primer I've ever used. Great coverage and has the perfect amount of tooth for topcoating. Being a lacquer based primer, cleaning the airbrush was a breeze. I've used black and white Vallejo primers (regular model color - not Vallejo Air) through my airbrush and, while they weren't bad, they don't hold a candle to Mr. Surfacer.

As I understand it, it is necessary to use Alclad primer under some of their highly reflective finishes. I skimped and went with Vallejo black primer (that I polished to a high gloss shine) under Alclad Polished Aluminum on a P-51 Mustang and the result was about as close to polished aluminum as you would get from a can of generic silver spray paint from a hardware store. I was pissed! It is possible that I had the air pressure up too high because I was using a siphon feed brush, but if I were to do it again, I would certainly use Alclad primer. At least if that turned out awful, I could quit blaming my supplies and start taking a closer look at my technique.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rotten Cookies posted:

Moss tree, Pt. II Figurine in for scale.

Came out better, I think. It helps that I actually sculpted and painted the trunk. I didn't really try to color match any moss, but I think it came out alright, even if there are some wildly mismatched bunches of leaves in there. I "sealed" the moss with spray adhesive and matte spray just because. I want that poo poo to stay. I think the scale of this one is right for the moss I used. It also makes pretty kickass shrubbery all by itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tnBIdbL9sY
This is how you make trees.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

SkunkDuster posted:

As I understand it, it is necessary to use Alclad primer under some of their highly reflective finishes. I skimped and went with Vallejo black primer (that I polished to a high gloss shine) under Alclad Polished Aluminum on a P-51 Mustang and the result was about as close to polished aluminum as you would get from a can of generic silver spray paint from a hardware store. I was pissed! It is possible that I had the air pressure up too high because I was using a siphon feed brush, but if I were to do it again, I would certainly use Alclad primer. At least if that turned out awful, I could quit blaming my supplies and start taking a closer look at my technique.

I think the Alclad reacted with your Vallejo primer. There's also the option of just spraying any black you have at hand, coating that with ALC 600 Aqua Gloss Clear to get it nice and glossy, then spray any Alclad over that.
It says on the ALC 600 bottle that it's suitable as a base for all Alclad metal finishes. It's also important to use very light coats and build up the metal finish.
After it's dry, you can gently polish it (using just an old t-shirt, no wax/polish/etc) to remove any loose particles that make the surface look dusty.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Look what my cat got me for Christmas

He is such a good cat.

I would like to remote control it; does any one know where I should start looking to accomplish this?

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 25, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Someone was asking another forum if "static grass is worth doing in N scale" and I came across this picture.

Click for BIG
Some amazing grass/dirt work!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Baronjutter posted:

Someone was asking another forum if "static grass is worth doing in N scale" and I came across this picture.

Click for BIG

Yea, that is pretty fantastic looking, and at N scale? Wow..

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baronjutter posted:

Click for BIG

My mind is blown.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

No Pun Intended posted:

Look what my cat got me for Christmas

He is such a good cat.

I would like to remote control it; does any one know where I should start looking to accomplish this?

These guys could probably help: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125553&pagenumber=93&perpage=40

E: looking up shops that sell electric r/c car supplies and parts is probably a good idea

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

The Locator posted:

Yea, that is pretty fantastic looking, and at N scale? Wow..

The terrain is miles ahead of the train and pole, that'd be amazing to me in large scales. N though....

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I finished my Heller Renault R35 kit.

The kit is very similar to the Heller Hotchkiss that I put together earlier, down to the exact same turret sprue and crew sprue (but in a different colour of plastic). Unlike the German decal only Hotchkiss, this one came with Polish and French decals (or it would have if it wasn't a resealed box at a hefty discount), so a French crew makes sense. I used some decals from the Renault FT kit to make it look Frenchier.

As before, the turret interior is pretty simple, the tracks are pretty awful vinyl. The instructions invite you to put the driver inside and leave the hatch open, but there are no interior details at all. The commander's hatch (unlike the driver's hatch, it's movable) at least opens to show the very primitive breech.

Here's the French tank family I have so far. I put together an R39 turret for the Renault just to make it a little different from its brother.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Finally finished my RB-36. It turned out well, I think.

It was a Hobbycraft 1/144 kit. Aside from one or two engineering problems, it went together well. The finish is acrylic Tamiya flat aluminum, with the shiny parts model master silver chrome enamel. Doing silver (especially shiny silver) was a learning experience for me; it took many passes to get it right. As I think I've said before, next time I'm just gonna use Alclad, and hang the expense. Mirror finish = really hard.

I still kinda suck at doing the transparencies; after several other attempts doing stuff that I found I wasn't satisfied with, I just hand-painted the bastard.

The kit had two flaws: one, the wings kinda sag, which is incorrect. I managed to mostly fix this with a wooden dowel in the wing. The other was that the engine intakes were molded as one solid piece, without holes. I drilled out the holes and left the cross-spar. In retrospect, it would have been tidier to just get some stock styrene and remake the spar instead of sanding around it.

Erasing most of the lines and getting things right took a long time - a huge amount of endurance is needed to do it right. I think I'm going to stick to well-engineered kits for the next little while.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Hey guys, I'm in need of a new air compressor. Would anyone recommend this one?

http://www.tcpglobal.com/ABD-TC-20T.html#.VJ2W_eP-qA

I'm kinda concerned for quality since that's about a third the price I've seen for others of that kind. I mostly paint 40k stuff for people but would like to move on to bigger projects eventually like building terrain and so forth.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

crime fighting hog posted:

I'm kinda concerned for quality since that's about a third the price I've seen for others of that kind. I mostly paint 40k stuff for people but would like to move on to bigger projects eventually like building terrain and so forth.

I got this as a Christmas present for myself (only it came with an airbrush and cost $15 more). It appears to be the same as what you're looking at, just without the tank, and I've been quite happy with it. Granted it's my first airbrush, but there's nothing obviously wrong with it, and with some practice on a few sheets of paper and a couple cheapo Revell airplanes I can get it to do exactly what I want.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

crime fighting hog posted:

Looks exactly the same as mine, and that let me do the Raptor earlier on. I've had no problems with it and I would recommend it.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Just ordered! Can't wait, thanks guys.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Godspeed! :patriot:

That emoticon reminds me, I got this for Christmas:

It's my grandfather's flight log book and unit patch from World War 2. He was the tailgunner in an SBD dauntless. I'm suddenly inspired to find a model kit of one, ideally one of the variants that actually has a tailgun (:downs:), but everything I can find is either in tiny scale like 1:72 or costs a hundred loving dollars. None of the kits I can find have any reviews. Any recommendations?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

big_g posted:

Looks exactly the same as mine, and that let me do the Raptor earlier on. I've had no problems with it and I would recommend it.

How noisy is it?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Godspeed! :patriot:

That emoticon reminds me, I got this for Christmas:

It's my grandfather's flight log book and unit patch from World War 2. He was the tailgunner in an SBD dauntless. I'm suddenly inspired to find a model kit of one, ideally one of the variants that actually has a tailgun (:downs:), but everything I can find is either in tiny scale like 1:72 or costs a hundred loving dollars. None of the kits I can find have any reviews. Any recommendations?

That's an amazingly badass unit name.

Also I did a search at scalemates for you if that helps.

http://www.scalemates.com/search-solr.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q=Douglas+SBD+Dauntless

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm suddenly inspired to find a model kit of one, ideally one of the variants that actually has a tailgun (:downs:), but everything I can find is either in tiny scale like 1:72 or costs a hundred loving dollars. None of the kits I can find have any reviews. Any recommendations?

Accurate Miniatures have a very nice SBD model in 1:48 for relatively nice price. Even better, Academy reboxes this AM kit with decals for VMSB-241 (your grandfather's unit if my googling was correct) and you can find it for 25ish euros, or 35 dollars.

Look for this boxing:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

The Locator posted:

How noisy is it?

I don't really have a frame of reference, fairly I suppose. But with the size of it it's not too bad. I used to airbrush across the hall from my sleeping two year old and it never woke him up once. That's two doors and a landing in between us. I can always snap a quick video with it running if you would find it helpful.

Remember as well that once it has run for a bit the tank will be at pressure and it will be silent while you use are using it, until it occasionally kicks the motor in to top the pressure up.

Gervasius posted:

Accurate Miniatures have a very nice SBD model in 1:48 for relatively nice price. Even better, Academy reboxes this AM kit with decals for VMSB-241 (your grandfather's unit if my googling was correct) and you can find it for 25ish euros, or 35 dollars.

Look for this boxing:

This is quite possibly the most helpful post I have ever seen on these forums. Good job on finding that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Gervasius posted:

Look for this boxing:

Holky gently caress. Thank you! Pulled the trigger, will report back with pics for the pic god.

In the meantime: a T-34.

Everything went together without issue, but there were loads of tiny gaps just big enough to look crappy. I shimmed them with random pieces of sprue, but you could still see spots of daylight when holding the top half of the hull up to a light, and knowing they were there pissed me off enough I went apeshit with putty.

Problem solved. :frogbon:

I'm going the whole rusted metal and chipping solution route.

Every picture I took ended up just as blurry as this one.

I've lost one of the hatches for the turret and am contemplating suicide.

Edit: I keep seeing people with that GARBAGE DICK avatar. What the hell does it mean?

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 27, 2014