Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qirex posted:

whoa man I'm like inventing fire using all of these pre-cut pieces of wood and matches and a series of tutorials and an oreilly book on how to make fire and I'm subscribed to a fire-making mailing list

bleeding fuckin' edge people

Wish the bleeding edge was their neck when we snype their heads off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Mido posted:

when you fly a lot the novelty wears off and you are stuck in a stupid loving fuselage next to a chatty stranger who likes bill ore illy and keeps asking subtle questions to see if he can politely figure out if you are on the same page politically so he can keep rambling

alcohollllll

when i went to japan i just made sure i had an empty seat next to me both ways

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Syncopated posted:

Venice was ok to visit for a day or two, but I wouldn't stay longer. It's pretty cool to see though, they don't have any roads so all traffic is by boat. Including buses, taxis, ambulances, firefighters etc.

yea ive heard the novelty of venice wears off quickly. thankx

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

qirex posted:

whoa man I'm like inventing fire using all of these pre-cut pieces of wood and matches and a series of tutorials and an oreilly book on how to make fire and I'm subscribed to a fire-making mailing list

bleeding fuckin' edge people

the oreilly book cover animal is a moth

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

qirex posted:

there's cool stuff in northern Italy, I'm a huge museum/history nerd and I'd probably only do 3 nights in venice, but it's easy to get to the Dolomites, Milan, the Lake District, etc.

also don't go to Venice in the summer

i'm inclined to avoid all places on earth during the summer as i was not constructed to withstand heat

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

vapid cutlery posted:

when i went to japan i just made sure i had an empty seat next to me both ways

how'd you manage to make sure of that? most of the cross pacific flights i've been on were pretty full, and you can keep checking the seating map and changing your seat up until like an hour before the flight or something

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

vapid cutlery posted:

i'm inclined to avoid all places on earth during the summer as i was not constructed to withstand heat

just go to singapore or somewhere similar. it's basically right on the equator so it doesn't really get significantly hotter in the summer

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

fart simpson posted:

how'd you manage to make sure of that? most of the cross pacific flights i've been on were pretty full, and you can keep checking the seating map and changing your seat up until like an hour before the flight or something

i went up to the gate agent and asked her to move me to a seat with no one beside it like half an hour before the flight left. if you bat your eyelashes and make kissu face they're pretty accommodating

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

fart simpson posted:

just go to singapore or somewhere similar. it's basically right on the equator so it doesn't really get significantly hotter in the summer

i will destroy you

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
i was traveling on employee family standby though so i don't know if that was part of the reason she moved me, but according to my retired airplane dad they don't really care and will just move anyone if you aren't a turbo rear end in a top hat to them

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

how'd you manage to make sure of that?

morbid obesity and body odor to make the angels weep

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

vapid cutlery posted:

i went up to the gate agent and asked her to move me to a seat with no one beside it like half an hour before the flight left. if you bat your eyelashes and make kissu face they're pretty accommodating

good idea im too autistic to have considered using human interaction to solve this problem

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

vapid cutlery posted:

i will destroy you

singapore's a cool place to visit though

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

vapid cutlery posted:

i was not constructed to withstand heat

fatty

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

http://www.paulgraham.com/95.html posted:

American technology companies want the government to make immigration easier because they say they can't find enough programmers in the US. Anti-immigration people say that instead of letting foreigners take these jobs, we should train more Americans to be programmers. Who's right?

The technology companies are right. What the anti-immigration people don't understand is that there is a huge variation in ability between competent programmers and exceptional ones, and while you can train people to be competent, you can't train them to be exceptional. Exceptional programmers have an aptitude for and interest in programming that is not merely the product of training.

[1] How much better is a great programmer than an ordinary one? So much better that you can't even measure the difference directly. A great programmer doesn't merely do the same work faster. A great programmer will invent things an ordinary programmer would never even think of. This doesn't mean a great programmer is infinitely more valuable, because any invention has a finite market value. But it's easy to imagine cases where a great programmer might invent things worth 100x or even 1000x an average programmer's salary.

1000x Programmer! :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

clever and inventive are just synonyms for "impossible to maintain"

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
but if you could hire 100 programmers for the cost of 1 then you have a program that is 100x better

- said every outsourcing firm, ever

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

but if you could hire 100 programmers for the cost of 1 then you have a program that is 100x better

- said every outsourcing firm, ever

Realistically you also have a 100x chance of developing that billion dollar product because let's be realistic, no way is that rock star programmer actually capable of significantly better ideas

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ah, good ol' business people sucking up to uber:

quote:

http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/12/26/ringing_in_the_new_year_with_a_surge.html

Jean-Philippe Vergne, assistant professor of strategy at the University of Western Ontario’s Ivey Business School, says the surge pricing model illustrates a basic concept of microeconomics — how supply and demand work, with price being highly elastic in this case.
Another example Vergne gives is the price of a Coca-Cola sold in a vending machine on the beach in the summer. “You could buy a 12-pack at Walmart for the same price,” he said, but people are willing to pay more to enjoy a cold pop on a hot day.

except the price in the vending machine doesn't change during the year or at high demand times

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Chris Knight posted:

except the price in the vending machine doesn't change during the year or at high demand times

what's your argument exactly

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

vending machine in amusement parks and at beaches cost more than vending machines at offices

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Maluco Marinero posted:

1000x Programmer! :colbert:

here's what I don't get. If they are so good, why do they have to be here? I can understand if they're amazing car designers, they gotta work with those life sized clay models in the office. Or maybe even the worlds best sales guys (cause they gotta be on site), maybe even great management.

But when you're hiring developers why do they need to be in your drat office? If india has such great programmers, open up an office there to hire your 1000 developers and keep immigration for one-offs.

I will say, I often get off the 'developers' floor here at 'large financial firm' in the bay area and it's like stepping off the plane in Bangalore. Those guys are paid poo poo. The average for a software developer is ₹400,000. That's $6,600 a year and firms here (cause they're mostly contractors) pay them poo poo. It's all about makin the shittiest software for the cheapest dollar.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
re: vending machines

moral of the story: sell sodas out of your trunk at the beach for big buxx, sounds ripe for disruption

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

crusader_complex posted:

moral of the story: sell booze out of your trunk at the beach for big buxx, sounds ripe for disruption

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

crusader_complex posted:

moral of the story: sell sodas out of your trunk at the beach for big buxx, sounds ripe for disruption

ill start the app

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
no one will ever catch up to japan's vending machine game

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

here's what I don't get. If they are so good, why do they have to be here? I can understand if they're amazing car designers, they gotta work with those life sized clay models in the office. Or maybe even the worlds best sales guys (cause they gotta be on site), maybe even great management.

But when you're hiring developers why do they need to be in your drat office? If india has such great programmers, open up an office there to hire your 1000 developers and keep immigration for one-offs.

I will say, I often get off the 'developers' floor here at 'large financial firm' in the bay area and it's like stepping off the plane in Bangalore. Those guys are paid poo poo. The average for a software developer is ₹400,000. That's $6,600 a year and firms here (cause they're mostly contractors) pay them poo poo. It's all about makin the shittiest software for the cheapest dollar.

ding ding ding

tech ceos want immigration reform so they can drive down the wages of American tech workers

same reason they keep harping on STEM educations and hour of code or whatever, the more bodies you can throw into the labor pool the lower you can push rates

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
also there's a dilution effect; the more people that can fill a given role, the effective bargaining power of an individual gets reduced. if there's a glut of devs, then it's less likely you can be geographically mobile (because why pay to recruit someone from out of state when there's a ton of people in the locality) as an individual which has a knock-on effect of keeping wages low across the board (because if your high performers can't walk to the bay or nyc to pull 6.5 figgies then why pay them a bunch more?)

in summary death to capitalism

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Chris Knight posted:

lol ive never heard of this 'school' in my life and id bet its a thinktank

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

vending machine in amusement parks and at beaches cost more than vending machines at offices

they sell things at offices?!?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
our office vending machine is free

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

vapid cutlery posted:

our office vending machine is free

we just have a kitchen and they have huge deliveries from the liquor store + grocer's once a week

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Chris Knight posted:

or go up by an order of magnitude during a hostage situation

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
seems weird to keep an office stocked with liquor unless it's a job that you can do drunk like doctor or lawyer.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

vapid cutlery posted:

seems weird to keep an office stocked with liquor unless it's a job that you can do drunk like doctor or lawyer.

or yosposter

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

vapid cutlery posted:

its just beer and wine. everybody has 1-2 a day. tbqh its a very drinky place but ive not seen anything get out of hand ever

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

Shaggar posted:

there's a service here that drives you and you car home from the bars. it rules. the city tried to shut them down cause of protectionism but the judge told them to get bent because it was safer for them to continue operating.

how much do they charge per mile?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Jonny 290 posted:

its just beer and wine. everybody has 1-2 a day. tbqh its a very drinky place but ive not seen anything get out of hand ever

easier than making people watch who moved my cheese

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

vapid cutlery posted:

easier than making people watch who moved my cheese

isn't that a book

you don't watch books

what is wrong with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008