Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Its amazing how si keep adding more layers to an already broken system regarding player interactions. But we all keep buying so i guess they don't care. I always love how you compliment someone and they go yeah well I can do better. just take the compliment and move on son!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Oh god, I have never played one of these and picked the game up yesterday. I have no idea how to do anything. Is there a "tutorial island" equivalent of Ireland for CK2? Even playing on "classic" nothing's particularly clear. How do I fire players or staff? How do I find new players to hire? (I muddled my way into finding the staff menu and I can tell my scouts what to do, but I'm not sure where to see their reports)

When it comes to tactics, how do you set up multiple tactics? I started a quick game as Real Salt Lake and popped in there, and had my assistant (?) auto-set a tactics and player list for me. That gave me a 4-3-1-2 narrow (?), and then I promptly lost my first Friendly against a third-string US team. I set my team to practice "balanced" in the hopes that'd get them familiar with the tactic, but I'm not sre that's a good idea. Also, set piece tactics are completely confusing.

JorahTheExplorer
Oct 23, 2013

You aren't my Alves, Afonso Alves,
you make me sa-aad when sky's are blue,
and Georgie Best, cost fucking less,
so please take my Alves away.
Tutorial Island is Celtic in the Scottish premiership they have no real competetors so you should be able to win without too much trouble.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Just had my best season ever with Chelsea in the 2nd season of the save. Still have the final of both the CL and FA.

122 Goals scored, 27 against, +95, 102 points. 33 Wins, 3 Draws, 2 Losses.

Going into the last game the only loss was @ City 4-3. Lost @ home against Newcastle for the second loss of the season on the final game 2-1.

But, Diego Costa had a pretty good lead in the goals department about halfway through with 22 or so. Second had around 12 or 13. He was surpassed in the final game of the season by Vincent Aboubakar who scored 26 goals in the final half of the season for Tottenham to win the season 36 goals to Costa's 34. I mean, god drat. I wanted Diego to win the Boot :(

e; he had 6 hat tricks

CancerStick fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 27, 2014

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Arcturas posted:

Oh god, I have never played one of these and picked the game up yesterday. I have no idea how to do anything. Is there a "tutorial island" equivalent of Ireland for CK2? Even playing on "classic" nothing's particularly clear. How do I fire players or staff? How do I find new players to hire? (I muddled my way into finding the staff menu and I can tell my scouts what to do, but I'm not sure where to see their reports)

When it comes to tactics, how do you set up multiple tactics? I started a quick game as Real Salt Lake and popped in there, and had my assistant (?) auto-set a tactics and player list for me. That gave me a 4-3-1-2 narrow (?), and then I promptly lost my first Friendly against a third-string US team. I set my team to practice "balanced" in the hopes that'd get them familiar with the tactic, but I'm not sre that's a good idea. Also, set piece tactics are completely confusing.

Wow, I remember those days. Nothing makes any goddamn sense at all and you find out a year or two later about all the other stuff you didn't even know you could do.

For staff, on the left side go to Staff. You can view one and along their bar on the top is "Contract". In that dropdown you can release them, offer a mutual termination, offer a new contract, etc. Under the same staff menu you can do the Staff Search and try some filters.

To find players, usually you go under scouting. You can find the Scouted option, this is all the poo poo your scouts have gotten around to. There's also All Known Players... if you see one you like you can assign a scout to them and get more info. Once you've selected a player (any player, even those on your team) you can find the Reports option along the top bar to see what scouts have had to say about them. And when you're in there with the Set Assignment one, try setting someone to scout next opposition, it'll tell you what your next opponent has going on. Try to pick a scout with a high Tactical Knowledge score for this one.

For multiple tactics, on the tactics window you'll see a button for Create New Tactic. You can have three active at a time for easy switching. It can be weird to start out with the tactical stuff until you've had a while to practice. Try experimenting with the dropdowns on the left by each player's name... it'll show if they're better in a different function in the same position. A striker who's great as a poacher isn't necessarily useful as a false 9, etc. And it'll give you rough explanations for each of those in there. When you set up a new tactic, it takes a good while for them to learn it and get used to it, so even if it's a good tactic it won't be an automatically-win-button.

That'll get you going. Then you're down the rabbit hole with poo poo like this. http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Bogan Krkic posted:

Start in 2015, starting a game before your season starts sucks all the balls

I'd start it in 2014. It does suck balls, but if you start near the beginning of the MLS season, you may miss the Expansion draft, which means your trusting the AI to staff your first team for you.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

XBenedict posted:

I'd start it in 2014. It does suck balls, but if you start near the beginning of the MLS season, you may miss the Expansion draft, which means your trusting the AI to staff your first team for you.

I know the MLS has some weird rules but surely the draft would occur during the preseason, which you'd be more than in time for? I dunno really

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

I know the MLS has some weird rules but surely the draft would occur during the preseason, which you'd be more than in time for? I dunno really

I think the MLS drafts happen in December, when the season is over.

I did the Jan 2014 start and it's slow but I guess I like being able to put my team together from mostly scratch anyway (they start with 6 dudes, all on loan to other teams so imagine building an MLS team on a 1.5m transfer budget from almost nothing, this is sort of a fun challenge)

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Dallan Invictus posted:

The latest major patch changed something about how skins are loaded so skins from before it need a small change to the XML files before they'll show up. SI didn't really announce this beforehand because :iiam:, but they posted instructions on the forums [url=" http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/413341-Important-Skins-in-FM15.2"]here[/url].

Thanks, that worked wonderfully. No idea why they would do that other than being SI.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Iridium posted:

Useful advice.

Thanks. I'll give that a go, though I'm still very, very overwhelmed. I underestimated how much of this game requires actual sporting knowledge, rather than just grabbing high stat dudes.

JorahTheExplorer
Oct 23, 2013

It's okay it won't take long till there is nothing else in your life other than FM

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Okay for the maybe five people who give a poo poo:

If you start as NYC FC or Orlando City at Jan 2014 and you sim through 2014 (goes fast, sorta boring) you get a 10-player expansion draft (very surprised that made it in the game). You don't get the MLS Re-Entry Drafts. You do get to fight for Chivas USA's castaways when that team dissolves.

Absolutely gently caress all happens until December 2014. Except maybe wasting money on some dudes that you sign during 2014 that for whatever reason don't seem too interested in being loaned out despite not actually doing anything until 2015.

If I were doing it again, I'd just start Dec 2014 and just hire whatever staff is lying around. It can't be much of a difference in Jan or December really.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Transfers seem way harder in 15. Small African/South American teams demand a ton for their prospects, which is fair in game terms(since young players always pan out) but not really realistic as in real life these teams need to sell and wouldn't be turning down decent offers for very young players. I had colo colo quote me at 6 million euros for one of their 18 year olds listed by the game at under 100k. In real life, I think that would be the largest fee ever paid to a chilean club

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Telex posted:

Okay for the maybe five people who give a poo poo:

If you start as NYC FC or Orlando City at Jan 2014 and you sim through 2014 (goes fast, sorta boring) you get a 10-player expansion draft (very surprised that made it in the game). You don't get the MLS Re-Entry Drafts. You do get to fight for Chivas USA's castaways when that team dissolves.

(...)

If I were doing it again, I'd just start Dec 2014 and just hire whatever staff is lying around. It can't be much of a difference in Jan or December really.

I start all my saves in MLS and am uncomfortably anal about starting my games around the same time that the relevant transfer database reflects, and so I'm rather used to this setup issue: what I tend to do is find the latest possible start date given the countries I have loaded (it will usually be Australia's August 2014 start date, but maybe Brazil gets a December 2014?) then start a dummy manager and holiday until the day I actually want to start, then add my real manager then.

In my games the AI has been kind of dumb about their expansion drafts - particularly, way too many keepers - so if you actually want to play NYCFC or OCSC, I recommend actually being in charge of them before the expansion draft (which will be about three days after MLS Cup, around December 6th-7th.) Maybe the recent patch's change to MLS teams' roster management AI will help with this but I wouldn't be terribly optimistic.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

joe football posted:

Transfers seem way harder in 15. Small African/South American teams demand a ton for their prospects, which is fair in game terms(since young players always pan out) but not really realistic as in real life these teams need to sell and wouldn't be turning down decent offers for very young players. I had colo colo quote me at 6 million euros for one of their 18 year olds listed by the game at under 100k. In real life, I think that would be the largest fee ever paid to a chilean club

Its just harder to nab all the good young players. A lot of clubs will price you out but all cheap 12 months down the track

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Arcturas posted:

Thanks. I'll give that a go, though I'm still very, very overwhelmed. I underestimated how much of this game requires actual sporting knowledge, rather than just grabbing high stat dudes.

Don't sweat it, I had almost no knowledge of the sport at all until a friend suggested I try this.

Immediately after getting the basics down in FM, the 2010 world cup happened, and I was loving hooked.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Am I going mental or can you not do player searches in the same way as staff searches any more?

This is what I'm after:

Here's the staff screen in 2015:

I can only seem to search by what my scouts know, which is pretty poo poo, rather than all the players loaded.

What's weird is I only noticed this last night, I've been playing for a few weeks now...

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

EvilHawk posted:

I can only seem to search by what my scouts know, which is pretty poo poo, rather than all the players loaded.

What's weird is I only noticed this last night, I've been playing for a few weeks now...

Hadn't that screen always been limited by scouting/knowledge though? It says so right in that 14 screenshot.

Maybe I'm not getting exactly what you mean, but if you want a global person search the best you can probably do is the global name search on the top bar.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Dallan Invictus posted:

Hadn't that screen always been limited by scouting/knowledge though? It says so right in that 14 screenshot.

Maybe I'm not getting exactly what you mean, but if you want a global person search the best you can probably do is the global name search on the top bar.

... huh I guess you're right, I never noticed that bit before.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

EvilHawk posted:

Am I going mental or can you not do player searches in the same way as staff searches any more?

This is what I'm after:

Here's the staff screen in 2015:

See where you click "staff" on the left menu? Click "scouting". It's always been limited on scouts knowledge, I'm almost certain of this.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

You have to go on scouting and then click on the all known players tab on the top option bar. Then you can do what you're asking in your post.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I'm playing as Gateshead for a bit of a change and my assistant manager left (well I didn't renew his contract) I never really bother looking at staff attributes and trying to poach anyone specific even when I'm a top team (not as if Gateshead can afford to do this...) so I always just put a job ad out for my vacancies...

This time round I got Emile Heskey :cool: Surely we are destined for greatness!

JorahTheExplorer
Oct 23, 2013

I once got Robbie Keane as TNS

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bought this in the last day of the Steam sale. Not played regularly since FM2010 so am loving all the changes, the UI looks gorgeous.

Only gripe so far is I went my hometown club (St Johnstone) and our newest signing James McFadden is injured for 13 months! And he's our highest paid player. I hope to god this isn't consistent each time you start a game or I'll :cry:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Ramagamma posted:

Bought this in the last day of the Steam sale. Not played regularly since FM2010 so am loving all the changes, the UI looks gorgeous.

Only gripe so far is I went my hometown club (St Johnstone) and our newest signing James McFadden is injured for 13 months! And he's our highest paid player. I hope to god this isn't consistent each time you start a game or I'll :cry:

It will be unless you make a change in the database.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

XBenedict posted:

It will be unless you make a change in the database.

drat, I'd expected as much but I didn't want to admit it to myself.

Was digging around at lunchtime and noticed there was some kind of FM Store where you can buy an in-game editor and other various "in-app" purchases. Slightly concerns me, is this a new thing to FM?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ramagamma posted:

Was digging around at lunchtime and noticed there was some kind of FM Store where you can buy an in-game editor and other various "in-app" purchases. Slightly concerns me, is this a new thing to FM?

People (cheaters) used to use a free 3rd party editor with the game.

Then the third party decided to start charging for it.

Then SI decided to make one themselves.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
ok, when the new board made me agree I didn't need to bring in more staff i thought they meant "more than they already allowed", not "more than the current number"

so i'm understaffed with bad staff, and hosed. gently caress you, Watford board. >=(

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
The promises usually expire in 6 months or whatever. Check the My Promises tab under My Profile.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Ramagamma posted:

You can use the in-game editor to remove the injury if you don't want to start a new game.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've gone back to my FM14 save for a bit and it's delivered again:

This is after all 6 games where they won 3 points.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Bit of a point of interest, but Archive.org just put up a bunch of DOS games, including some old Championship Managers, if anyone wants to see FM's roots.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I'm pretty sure this is a full-blown bug now, it's the second time the following sequence has happened:

1. Player says he wants to leave for a specific club, I tell him that he'll be sold if that club makes an acceptable bid

2. No bid comes in despite player being on unwanted list and me offering him to clubs

3. Player says he's aware that efforts are being made

4. Transfer window closes

5. Dressing room mutiny happens completely out of nowhere because of me turning down a bid from a different club from the one the player wanted to go to, despite this bid never happening and the transfer window being closed

It wouldn't be so bad if there was a bit of nuance in the options I've been given, it's either "I will immediately relent to this stunt" or "GET THE gently caress OUT YOU INGRATE BASTARDS"

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

I can't say I've ever had that happen to me. I've used that same line 'sell if club makes an acceptable bid' on half a dozen of my players in my long term save. I've had a few bids in for them from unrelated clubs, but none that ever met my grossly inflated acceptable number.

Players didn't complain or anything at all. After the window closed, they'd all be happy to play on since their club didn't put in a bid for them. Is there something else there that makes it happen?

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Anyone have any tips on defending for people who came from fm 14? In my last season in the belgian pro league I scored 128 and conceded 102. Granted playing a 3-4-3, but in 14 I was able to defend fine from a 3-1-1-3-2

Also I think players may age slightly more gracefully this year

173 caps for a striker :stare:

joe football fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 12, 2015

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Players who demand money to move are such scum. There should at least be an option to negotiate or at least to threaten them a bit.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
You know how you can add leagues to an already started game? Is there a way to add things like "include all players from *region*" that you can do before you start a new game? Probably not?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

jyrka posted:

You know how you can add leagues to an already started game? Is there a way to add things like "include all players from *region*" that you can do before you start a new game? Probably not?

Not that I know of (for a game in progress). Gotta plan ahead!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Something I'm only just noticing now in FM'15, though it could well have been in other versions...

Scouts will only mistake a player as being better than they actually are/will be, and not worse (this I knew). Coaches, on the other hand, seem to work the other way. Coach reports on trialled players are ending up with the 17/17+ judgement coaches putting them up higher than the 9/9- guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Revenant Threshold posted:

Something I'm only just noticing now in FM'15, though it could well have been in other versions...

Scouts will only mistake a player as being better than they actually are/will be, and not worse (this I knew). Coaches, on the other hand, seem to work the other way. Coach reports on trialled players are ending up with the 17/17+ judgement coaches putting them up higher than the 9/9- guys.

There's a bunch of different factors that go into making the scouts/coaches/assistant recommendations borderline useless. Star ratings are based on the coaches estimation of the average rating of the recommended attributes in the best role for each position of the pitch, which is not how you should be picking your team at all. Even if it was this is maths you can do yourself and better than the AI does.

Potential is based on how high they think this average can go, and it'll knock off a star the second they reach their mid twenties. Which is why you see loads of 5 star 16 year olds in game; they haven't 'wasted' PA on non-recommended attributes yet. It's meaningless crap and has no bearing on how well a player will actually perform one day.

• Locked thread