Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The funniest part I found is that he thinks a unit moving 10 1-steps forward should be the same distance as one moving 2 5-steps forwards, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Acrylic gloss varnish first or it will gently caress your paint/not sit as smoothly.

Ok this poo poo is getting complex...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That dude is going to blow his mind when they realize the falcon's sharp 1 turn has an absurd turning radius. Or that it's actually a negative when going through asteroids.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Tekopo posted:

Found randomly on BGG:

:v:

this is literally the revelation of the century!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

Ok this poo poo is getting complex...

Paint your stuff. Then put a gloss varnish on it like you should. Then do the micro sol/set thing. Then do the matte spray. The gloss isn't necessary if you aren't painting and aren't afraid of chipping but it allows the decals to look like part of the paint job instead of seeing the faint white outline. So it's up to you.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Leo Showers posted:

this is literally the revelation of the century!
It's an old thread on BGG, but it's entertaining seeing the guy that posted it go out of his way to say that the movement is REALLY WRONG and everyone else calling him a troll for it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I don't understand how it's even a complaint or anything, big ships don't go as fast, but they can still move places.

I wonder how flustered that guy is by huge ships.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Paint your stuff. Then put a gloss varnish on it like you should. Then do the micro sol/set thing. Then do the matte spray. The gloss isn't necessary if you aren't painting and aren't afraid of chipping but it allows the decals to look like part of the paint job instead of seeing the faint white outline. So it's up to you.

Okedoke!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm getting into armada but I figure I might as well try this game out to get in the Star Wars mood before it comes out. What would you recommend to go with the starter core set? I was thinking maybe a tie advanced to do the whole death star run thing with Vader and 2 tie wingmen, maybe another x wing or a y wing for the rebels?

I don't want to get super expensive, just make a tiny force for each that I can shoot poo poo with until Armada is out.

Though those cool elite tie interceptors look cool, if only because I read way too many of the x-wing books as a kid.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 27, 2014

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
This is a bad idea you should not attempt. Just wait for the game you want or decide to get into this one.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I like this game well enough. Already have the core set, just would rather play with capital ships. I just want to pay ten bucks for a model or so to entertain myself and annoy my so.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 27, 2014

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I'm excited to see how Armada turns out too. Gonna hold off initially though because it seems a lot more unwieldy than X Wing, will prolly be hard to find players initially, and of course the cost. That being said, it looks good and I hope it does well.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Chill la Chill posted:

The gloss isn't necessary if you aren't painting and aren't afraid of chipping but it allows the decals to look like part of the paint job instead of seeing the faint white outline. So it's up to you.

Depends, Micro Sol/Set can damage if not outright remove acrylic paint, so you want a clear protective layer underneath it for more than just cosmetic reasons.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I'm getting into armada but I figure I might as well try this game out to get in the Star Wars mood before it comes out.

I thought the same thing about 4 months ago 'I'll just get into X-Wing a little bit so I'll be part of the local toy plastic spaceship community when Armada comes out and have plenty of people to play against straight away'.

I've now got 25 small ships, 2 large ships and a rebel transport and £60.00 fancy German X-wing bag in the post.

I don't think I'll be able to afford Armada...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Are you guys regularly doing tournaments or playing? I get my money's worth but it seems like it's 40k for some of you who have large armies but never have enough time to play.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I'm definitely in the "have way too much poo poo for his game and rarely play it" boat, but it'll never touch other miniature game levels because at least we don't have to also invest the time in assembly and painting. :colbert: /justification

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Chill la Chill posted:

Are you guys regularly doing tournaments or playing? I get my money's worth but it seems like it's 40k for some of you who have large armies but never have enough time to play.

It's true I buy 1-2 copies of everything (just for the Rebels,) but this game is one of many I play, so yeah, I'd have time to play if I had fewer commitments in my life.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

While my two (:smithicide:) WH40K armies sit in the basement, I do however play X-Wing about every other week or more. Although we always play 155+ points and none of us play in any sanctioned play.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I have most of the lil ships with no big ships yet. I also play about once a week with a small group of people in town, plus playing with my brother and cousins occasionally during the week so I play around 2-3 games a week at least. I can't imagine spending as much as I have on this stuff (which sin't even that much compared to some people I've talked to) and not playing at least that much. I came into X-Wing from board games though so I have a different frame of reference from 40K people.

The idea of spending 100s of bucks on an army then painting it, then buying landscapes, etc. just boggles my mind. Somebody told me the other day that there's a FAQ for each faction which costs like a hundred bucks by itself and that's just :psyduck: to me. Can't imagine going through all that and then not even playing that much.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
People enjoy artistic hobbies? Incomprehensible!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

The idea of spending 100s of bucks on an army then painting it, then buying landscapes, etc. just boggles my mind. Somebody told me the other day that there's a FAQ for each faction which costs like a hundred bucks by itself and that's just :psyduck: to me. Can't imagine going through all that and then not even playing that much.

People enjoy different things than me and it blows my mind.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I was commenting more on the ridiculous price point and how little you seemingly get for it (such as unpainted miniatures, no rules apparently, etc.) however I also find all forms of artistic expression to be sub human and vile. get mad nerds.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah I was more seeing and hoping that people actually play with their toys. It's sad to see war hams that spend so much and hardly use them. And even when they use them it's mostly unpainted, barely primed trash.

I'm just lucky I live in an area that supports a ton of x-wing. If you guys are looking for an LGS to start hosting tournaments, it's actually pretty cheap. The tournament kits are only $30 or so.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Chill la Chill posted:

I play every week in league. Our store alternates leagues with LCG so it's a month on, a month off.

I don't see much cross over with Armada in my meta because it's so expensive, people will probably play X-Wing or Armada, not both.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

I was commenting more on the ridiculous price point and how little you seemingly get for it (such as unpainted miniatures, no rules apparently, etc.) however I also find all forms of artistic expression to be sub human and vile. get mad nerds.

Um, please do not comment on the ridiculous price of my hobby or I will get INCREDIBLY salty with you sir...

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I play the very occasional tournament at the LGS but most of my X-wing gaming is against one particular gaming buddy, we maybe go a month or two without playing and then we'll cram a bunch of games into a few evenings a month. I juggle games of X-wing with skirmish sized tabletop games like Malifaux, Bloodbowl, etc. and I do also spend a lot of time working on smaller scale armies, I got into tabletop gaming because of painting and modelling, not in spite of it so I do need/like to scratch that itch.

So no, X-wing doesn't get played all that often around here, but no other game dominates my time either, kids and real life conspire to eat into my personal time so getting one or two games in in the space of a month or two is pretty good going for me and I don't begrudge the price of ships, they're fairly cheap in the grand scheme of miniatures :)

edit: speaking of scratching itches, I'm yet to treat myself to a christmas pressie from myself, I'm debating finally caving and getting a shuttle. Either that or a decimator if I can find one, but I don't think the decimator would really suit my play style.. and it feels like a bit of a 'use once and never use again' kind of ship :/ either way, it's that and a little ship or two.. yet to decide and waiting to get out to the shops to spend some cash :)

enri fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 28, 2014

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

I play both warhammer 40k and Infinity, and have just been shown X-wing by a mate and bought some ships. I see where you're coming from, it was a bit of a relief to me that X-wing requires so little hobby work, and the games are quick. I would not have had the time to work on another set of hobby projects. There definitely are warhammer/infinity/whatever else players who buy, buy, buy, rarely get to play all of it and never get it painted. I know people who have boxes upon boxes of half assembled crap and have had huge models for years and never tried painting them. Yes, that is a waste. But I wouldn't say necessarily that models aren't worth having unless you play X number of games per week/month. I often go for months without a tabletop game due to work commitments. But I still enjoy building and painting models and will use them sooner or later. Games where you build and paint yourself are more of a slow burn and an eventual pay-off. As you pointed out yourself, X-wing is in many ways closer to a board game, just with the pieces bought separately.

Whoever told you about 100 dollar FAQs was pulling your leg though, those are free.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Genghis Cohen posted:

I know people who have boxes upon boxes of half assembled crap and have had huge models for years and never tried painting them.

hello

Genghis Cohen posted:

Yes, that is a waste.

Aw... :smith:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's all relative. If you get enjoyment from the assembling and painting, hell even just the planning phase where you're envisioning the painted model, then you're getting value out of it. I've only played two games of X-wing, and I bought a poo poo load of ships in the Christmas sales, because I know that even just sitting in their cabinet they will bring me pleasure.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Moola posted:

hello

Aw... :smith:

Don't get me wrong, I have an 'awaiting assembly' box and an 'awaiting painting' case. But I could list off in detail what my plans for each of them are, and I expect to get them all done. I know people who have bought hundreds of models, often in a very sad state from ebay, or even worse bought very expensive models like Forgeworld stuff, and just have them sitting around in odd holes and corners of the house. Covered in dust, not going anywhere, never played with etc.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I have zero regrets about the amount of cash I've sunk into X-Wing stuff. Even if I don't get to play as often as I like, I'm getting really nifty little Star Wars ship models and I can always set them up on a shelf or something to look cool.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
I pay my bills, I make a decent wage, I can spend my money how I drat well please. :murica:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Today I found out about the +1 dice at 1 and 3 range rule. I've played this game at least 10 times. Aughg

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

signalnoise posted:

Today I found out about the +1 dice at 1 and 3 range rule. I've played this game at least 10 times. Aughg

only works with primary weapons. I still see a TON of nerds get it wrong. make sure you get it right!

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

Genghis Cohen posted:

Whoever told you about 100 dollar FAQs was pulling your leg though, those are free.

I think he's referring to codices.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

alg posted:

only works with primary weapons. I still see a TON of nerds get it wrong. make sure you get it right!

Yeah, I saw that too. I just can't believe how many matches I've had where I know that +1 red in range 1 would have mattered but instead it was just a slugfest of 3 red vs 3 green alllllll the time.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Just ordered my own X-wang core set.

Will be selling off my warhams in the new year, lets do this shiiiiiiiiiiiit!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Moola posted:

PUNCH IT

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Moola posted:

Me too! Sorta. Gonna get my in store on Tuesday, sell the TIEs to my coworker I used to warhams with, and then build an xwing list built off Adumar.

(Ok, so I am thinking actually running Luke and Wedge with z95 backup for a while)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

• Locked thread