Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SaltyJesus posted:

According to the one-acre rule you aren't European if you have a single acre of tundra terrain.

What are you, an American?

In Europe land areas are measured in square meters or derived units such as the hectare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Heh, I learned something today. acre =/= are

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Densities of metropolitan functions

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

I refuse to accept this picture because it implies that Russians are white people and not Asiatic invaders.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The Christkind is interesting, since it was actual an invention by Luther to discourage the Saint based Nicholas figure, yet it has caught on more in catholic regions, while the Protestant ones got whole hardly conquered Santa Claus. Seriously, event the Weihnachtsmann of my childhood is significantly different than the one of today. And it's not really Baby Jesus, more like a child-like angel/ Christmas spirit thing. It also played a significant part in shifting the day for the major gifting from the sixth to the 24th (or 25th if you are some savage I guess). The entire history of Christmas is really interesting, with many people seeing it apparently as one of the cornerstones of western civilization and Christianity as a whole, when it is actually not all that important for either.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Disinterested posted:

I refuse to accept this picture because it implies that Russians are white people and not Asiatic invaders.

Don't worry, we'll add pictures about slopes of foreheads, positions of jaws and volume of brain and exclude those swarthy Russians, Irish, Fins, Hungarians and Poles.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kopijeger posted:

Of which there is precious little in our country, only small slice in the extreme northeast, near the Russian border.

You wouldn't think that if you were a proper European :smug:

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Kopijeger posted:

They left out a quote attributed to August Strindberg: "Asia begins in Malmö". Plus, being Norwegian I would like to know why they consider such a small part of the country to belong to "core Europe". I can't imagine that Stavanger, Bergen and Trondheim are any less European than Oslo or Kristiansand.

I'm p sure whoever made the map stayed in one or a few cities in the pink area and literally never went to the local countryside during their lives
Or they aren't even European

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I wonder if the retard who made that map made one for "true america" too
Pink area:BosWash

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
True America would surely be Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The mapmaker should have included Ahmadinejad's line about England being “a small island west of Africa."

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Peanut President posted:

True America would surely be Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland.

Blue States are unAmerican, full of communiss.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TheImmigrant posted:

Blue States are unAmerican, full of communiss.

Don't the red ones have way more actual traitor states in them?

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

DarkCrawler posted:

Treason is totally American if it's for something horrible like slavery.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

The term "Real America" makes a lot more sense if you read it as meaning the Confederate States of America, not that liberal commie United States.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DarkCrawler posted:

Depends if you count the Hartford Convention or not.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

computer parts posted:

Depends if you count the Hartford Convention or not.

I don't know that "some dudes who didn't officially represent the people who kinda-sorta hinted about secession at one meeting and then went home shame-faced when the US won didn't lose the war they opposed" is really on the same level as what the Confederate States did...

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

http://ffp.statesindex.org/rankings-2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So Finland's the bee's knees, uh?

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Betond the placement of Argentina this reminds me of a conversation I had with an American about the number of continents. He was apparently unaware that in a lot of places North and South America are considered to be the same continent.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

People who say North and South America are one continent better say that Africa, Asia, and Europe are all one.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ethiser posted:

People who say North and South America are one continent better say that Africa, Asia, and Europe are all one.

Well you see...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

VerdantSquire posted:

The map then goes on to feature a quote from Napoleon as a source for why Russians are bad.
Why is being compared to tartars supposed to be insulting to anyone? Racism?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Nonwhites/Non-Christians.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Poil posted:

Why is being compared to tartars supposed to be insulting to anyone? Racism?

It's literally a racist map, man.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Some of those were meant as compliments. Dumas said Africa begins at the Pyrenees because he thought Spain was exotic and cool.

e: actually, Google is apparently unsure whether he said it at all.

e2: I also found a great Afrocentric link with an interesting take on Spanish history:

quote:

Furthermore, just as is testified by the currently living Black Palestinians, Iraqis, Iranians, Saudi Arabians, Kuwait, Oman, Yemen, etc, black people have always been the original population of Middle East and they remain an integral part of that geographical zone to this very day. The paler skinned Arabs who constitute the media definition of Arab are comparatively recent immigrants into the Middle East. Yet, those paler type Arabs have so inter-mixed with the original black owners of Middle East that they have become a sub-group of the black African race and culture. It is impossible to tell between a morphologically black Arab and a paler Arab, which is more ethnically pure.

With order reigning again in the land of the Moors, and a re-flowering of culture and learning in its wake, it was inevitable that the chaotic condition that Spain had been turned into by the Nordic Goths would have to be redressed.

Preparations were soon put in place for the liberation of Iberia from the rule of the neo-paganic Christian Goths who had wrought great and terrible depredations on the land. Tarik, a great African general was chosen to lead the Moorish Islamic army sent to raid Spain.

Sounds legit

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 28, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
^^^^^^^: isn't the quote "Europe ends at the Pyrenees" anyway?

Dumas himself is of African descent, through his father.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 28, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
edit: quote is not edit!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Some of those were meant as compliments. Dumas said Africa begins at the Pyrenees because he thought Spain was exotic and cool.

e: actually, Google is apparently unsure whether he said it at all.
Yeah. I'm no expert on Tatars but since they were part of the Mongol horde and stomped the poo poo out of empires and kingdoms and ground their bodies to dust beneath their hooves, the quote "Scratch a Russian and you wound a Tatar." would mean, at least from my view, something like "it's a terrible mistake and you will get the poo poo kicked out of you :black101:".
:shobon:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I heard Steak Tartare isn't Tatar, true or false?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Steak tartare isn't a Tatar cuisine thing, no. It is named after the sauce, which probably has a Tatar origin, but nobody is super sure about why the sauce is named what it is.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Kurtofan posted:

I heard Steak Tartare isn't Tatar, true or false?

You mean filet américain? :911:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
The (entirely fake, with no basis in truth whatsoever) folk etymology for steak Tartar/American is that the Mongols/Cowboys would keep tough beef in their saddlebags and, over the course of riding all day, the motion of the horse would tenderize the meat and then they would eat it raw.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Pakistan and Afghanistan came out way too well in this.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Betond the placement of Argentina this reminds me of a conversation I had with an American about the number of continents. He was apparently unaware that in a lot of places North and South America are considered to be the same continent.

What? How? They're not even connected by land!

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

What? How? They're not even connected by land!

Rivers/river-like-constructions are generally not considered to be interruptions of land contiguity. That's why New Jersey isn't considered to be a peninsula, among other things.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Libya too. Libya literally has no central government, and the competing factions fight constantly. Utterly unstable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Rivers/river-like-constructions are generally not considered to be interruptions of land contiguity. That's why New Jersey isn't considered to be a peninsula, among other things.

New Jersey isn't considered a peninsula not because rivers "don't count" but because it's part of a continuous landmass. That's why it's a land mass that has multiple peninsulas extending from it.