Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Stufoo posted:

Like there were "encounters" or something

Hey, hey. NMs were, in the most technical of senses, group encounters. :colbert:

(Sorta.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Didn't Nael Hard in the original game straight up require every party member to have Sentinel? Woo, game design.

As far as cutting classes out, I don't know how hard it would be on the back end of things but for the front end it seems like it would be simple. Make the classes be the same as jobs, but the text and icons presented to the player depend on if they've completed the job quest or not.
For SCH, I would think they would just make it a separate class, that starts at level 30, and is unlocked just the same as it is now. The only thing I don't know is if they'd rather keep its XP linked to SMN or let it go on its own.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

As long as they keep the Arcanist quests around.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Welp, there goes my catwedding. PSN went down again this afternoon before my friend was able to log in. :(

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Can I link multiple FF14 accounts to one PSN account? My girlfriend plays on PS4 and PC, I play on PC, but I want to get a PS4 license so I can dick around in FF14 on my Vita. I know I need to buy the game again one way or another to do this.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Nope. One PSN account per Square Enix account. Once a PSN account and a Square Enix account have been linked, they can never be unlinked, so be careful with linking accounts.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Can I link multiple FF14 accounts to one PSN account? My girlfriend plays on PS4 and PC, I play on PC, but I want to get a PS4 license so I can dick around in FF14 on my Vita. I know I need to buy the game again one way or another to do this.

I am 99% certain that the answer is no.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Each person who wants to play needs their own Square-Enix account, their own PSN account and a PS4 key. Unfortunately I don't think you can have one S-E account with multiple service accounts linked to multiple PSN accounts.

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

Klades posted:

Didn't Nael Hard in the original game straight up require every party member to have Sentinel? Woo, game design.

No because PLD, WAR, and WHM were the only ones who could use it. If you are talking about Nael Hard as in the White Ravens fight, a single BLM could go THM and use AoE magic damage down to bypass the Megaflare damage for the whole party, which was normally reduced by everyone using an item called "Lunar Curtains", not Sentinel. This allowed everyone to use STR/INT potions instead and let the THM solo the meteor defense phases. What you also may be thinking about is the "We have poo poo DPS" cheese method against Ifrit Hard, where you only killed one of the four nails and used Sentinel to live through Hellfire. This was before jobs, and yeah everyone wanted GLA 36 for Sentinel. You did not have to do it this way, but it was the pug strat.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Stufoo posted:

No because PLD, WAR, and WHM were the only ones who could use it. If you are talking about Nael Hard as in the White Ravens fight, a single BLM could go THM and use AoE magic damage down to bypass the Megaflare damage for the whole party, which was normally reduced by everyone using an item called "Lunar Curtains", not Sentinel. This allowed everyone to use STR/INT potions instead and let the THM solo the meteor defense phases. What you also may be thinking about is the "We have poo poo DPS" cheese method against Ifrit Hard, where you only killed one of the four nails and used Sentinel to live through Hellfire. This was before jobs, and yeah everyone wanted GLA 36 for Sentinel. You did not have to do it this way, but it was the pug strat.

Ah, that's probably it. I had heard this from my friend, who I believe exclusively played WAR and WHM during the original run of the game. It's not a huge stretch to imagine that he extrapolated "I had to have sentinel" to "everyone had to have sentinel", especially if he forgot about Lunar Curtains being a thing.

UNFORESEEN CONSEQUENCES

Klades fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 27, 2014

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.
bow down bitches

#blonde #allnatural #nonewfriends

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

big sperma shot posted:

bow down bitches

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

big sperma shot posted:

bow down bitches

get out blonde scum

Fyana
Sep 12, 2009

Catgirl IRL

ilifinicus posted:

get out blonde scum

finfin please don't call me scum... (。ノω\。)

Also you can't seriously tell me you think lalafell > catgirl, c'mon, don't be a race traitor.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Fyana posted:

finfin please don't call me scum... (。ノω\。)

Also you can't seriously tell me you think lalafell > catgirl, c'mon, don't be a race traitor.
my cattes are playing DA:I atm, they couldn't pose for a screenshot

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
im gonna kick your rear end vandes

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

bonewitch posted:

The ideal raid comp for FCOB is Monk/Ninja/Bard/BLM right now. Summoners are in a real bad place right now with their MP and itemization problems and Dragoons, while buffed, just don't bring enough utility to beat out Ninja/Monk.

Also all of FCOB requires 2 tanks.

Thanks, this is what I figured. Has this been pretty consistent throughout the history of Raiding? Is it likely that BRD/NIN are going to ever drop out of popularity as they are currently configured?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Klungar posted:

Thanks, this is what I figured. Has this been pretty consistent throughout the history of Raiding? Is it likely that BRD/NIN are going to ever drop out of popularity as they are currently configured?

Some things change, some things are constant. Bard is never going to drop out of popularity because MP/TP regen and Foes is always critical, and their play style lets them handle a lot of the active movement-heavy mechanics letting other DPS focus on their own rotations. I can't imagine that ever changing, all I know is I've done raids without a bard before and I never want to do it again, ever.

For melee, Monk was a very strong melee to begin with, and the ability to apply INT down from Dragon Kick has had very measurable and immediate benefits through the current endgame raids, which is why they're currently the most desired melee job. Because of that they're basically locked into one DPS slot for most raids, making the second melee slot (if you even take two) being either NIN or DRG, and despite the buffs to DRG, ninjas remain the new sexy DPS class that everyone wants to play. If they do anything to this in the future it will be to reduce the magic damage raids have to deal with in Alexander raids. Monk's position increased because T13 throws raidwide magic damage at you constantly, and being able to take a chunk of that away gives you a hell of a lot more latitude with raid composition and gearing than if you don't have a monk on hand. Reduce that a bit so it's not as critical and the melee priority may stabilize.

For casters, SMN and BLM have had differing popularities over time. The 2.2 era was a terrible time to be a black mage with fights like T7 and T9, the bosses jumping around everywhere and so much movement screwing up your damage. SMN wasn't affected by most of that and worked much better. Fast forward to FCoB and suddenly SMNs are looking at less good gear options, while BLMs got a buff and the fights are more friendly to them now. That will probably change again as new raids are added.

Bonus opinion on tanks: I have a sneaking suspicion that if Dark Knight is implemented as well as Ninja was it's going to be a pretty bad day for one of the tank classes. Some people don't like the mitigation-heavy play style of PLD because it can be dull and uninteresting. Some people don't like how WAR takes hits like a squishy DPS with only a bigger HP pool to make it workable, and despite the improvements it's gotten the generally accepted theory is PLD MT and WAR OT, always. If DRK plays like a more interesting PLD or a more durable WAR then one of those jobs is getting marginalized really, really fast.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Klungar posted:

From what I've heard, double Bard + Dragoon used to be the meta way back in early 2.0 but I wasn't playing then. 2.2 era was double Monk/SMN/Bard.

Bard is going to be useful until they change how TP functions because Paeon is just incredibly strong in their current encounters. It also happens to fill a nice role in the raid as a dps that can deal with mechanics with minimal DPS loss. Ninja brings monk level damage + trick attack and goad, which means they're going to be in high demand until they get nerfed again.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Thank you both so much. I think I'm going to take BRD to 50 then, as I've been leveling it anyway for the past week or so to get Quelling Strikes. I did have a lot of fun kitting Hunt Log mobs with 10 levels on me all around Coerthas while taking no damage. Having almost all the ST drops to quickly get it up to speed will also be nice.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Can't wait for Astrologian to be a healer that has overlap with Bard skills and watch Bards vanish from raiding forever.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Eej posted:

Can't wait for Astrologian to be a healer that has overlap with Bard skills and watch Bards vanish from raiding forever.

An advantage that bard has over as caster job is that to do damage effectively (or at least, acceptably) all they need to do is hit buttons. There are no positionals, there is no cast time, you don't even need to have the camera pointed at whatever you're shooting full of arrows. You can run and gun better than any other job on a bard.

The end result of that is that this sentence is mentioned at least once for every new raid under progression:

"What? Why do I have to do (x) that will kill my damage. Get the bard to do it."

And the bard, indeed, does it. Because the Astrologian is both a caster and a healer they probably won't have the same latitude. Mechanist might, but I can't imagine they'd give both the ranged physical jobs easy movement and supportive skills.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
True, but there will still be people who would want to drop Bards for their poopy dps. I also do think it would be a good idea to move the -INT debuff from Monks to Dark Knights, at least thematically speaking.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doublestep posted:

im gonna kick your rear end vandes

1v1 me in tetra master scrublord

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
AST gets bard utility, MCH gets bard mobility. gently caress bards qtiyd

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
If Mechanist is an effective substitute for bard utility both me and my bard will be very happy.

Percity
Oct 24, 2006

Fishious posted:

If Mechanist is an effective substitute for bard utility both me and my bard will be very happy.

If they aren't then no one will ever use them, because it's pretty unlikely they'll give them the damage of melee classes.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

it's fun to talk about optimal raid configurations but at the end of the day people still take dragoons into coil and they still do just fine. Play what you like

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Meiteron posted:

Bonus opinion on tanks: I have a sneaking suspicion that if Dark Knight is implemented as well as Ninja was it's going to be a pretty bad day for one of the tank classes. Some people don't like the mitigation-heavy play style of PLD because it can be dull and uninteresting. Some people don't like how WAR takes hits like a squishy DPS with only a bigger HP pool to make it workable, and despite the improvements it's gotten the generally accepted theory is PLD MT and WAR OT, always. If DRK plays like a more interesting PLD or a more durable WAR then one of those jobs is getting marginalized really, really fast.

Uh, most of the time I see war MT with pld OT. That's at least the DPS maximizing method.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

2.5 meta will be 5 lancer (not dragoon) for big DPS

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Rei_ posted:

it's fun to talk about optimal raid configurations but at the end of the day people still take dragoons into coil and they still do just fine. Play what you like

play what you like unless it leaves you without a bard or monk in which case you're hamstringing your raid

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Eej posted:

True, but there will still be people who would want to drop Bards for their poopy dps. I also do think it would be a good idea to move the -INT debuff from Monks to Dark Knights, at least thematically speaking.

I don't think you realize the true strength of BRD DPS here. Certainly, equally geared dummy tests will have BRD parsing lower than everyone else, but the thing is it enhances the other jobs. Foe Requiem gives 10% more magic damage, Army Paeon lets you Fracture longer without worrying about TP, Mage's Ballad provides more MP for healers so they can be less conservative with MP. Throw in the fact that they can more easily handle mechanics than other DPS means this is once again an indirect boost to the raid's DPS. If you take all these into account, a BRD probably accounts for more DPS than any other DPS class by virtue of assistance than direct DPS.

TL;DR - BRD DPS is pretty drat good, despite what common perceptions says about it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

jwang posted:

I don't think you realize the true strength of BRD DPS here. Certainly, equally geared dummy tests will have BRD parsing lower than everyone else, but the thing is it enhances the other jobs. Foe Requiem gives 10% more magic damage, Army Paeon lets you Fracture longer without worrying about TP, Mage's Ballad provides more MP for healers so they can be less conservative with MP. Throw in the fact that they can more easily handle mechanics than other DPS means this is once again an indirect boost to the raid's DPS. If you take all these into account, a BRD probably accounts for more DPS than any other DPS class by virtue of assistance than direct DPS.

TL;DR - BRD DPS is pretty drat good, despite what common perceptions says about it.

And dragoons boost bard damage as well.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah but if AST had Paeon, Foe's and Ballad equivalents from their cards then tons of people will drop Bards like a bad habit. Which is what I said in the first place.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They'd never give them the exact same utility that bards have. Maybe one of their songs, but not all three.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Klades posted:

As far as cutting classes out, I don't know how hard it would be on the back end of things but for the front end it seems like it would be simple. Make the classes be the same as jobs, but the text and icons presented to the player depend on if they've completed the job quest or not.
For SCH, I would think they would just make it a separate class, that starts at level 30, and is unlocked just the same as it is now. The only thing I don't know is if they'd rather keep its XP linked to SMN or let it go on its own.

I also feel like this would be pretty easy, and just meld the stories into the jobs since everything except arcanist has a one to one mapping. I think it would be interesting if they collapsed the two arcanist classes into one with skill sets depending on the active pets, not that I think that would happen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Arcanist is the only class that would need any help to transition at all. Just send you to the next dude as soon as you finish your 30 quest. Hell, make the job stone benefits just a trait that you unlock with the job quest or just start with them and limited cross class from the onset.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Percity posted:

If they aren't then no one will ever use them, because it's pretty unlikely they'll give them the damage of melee classes.

They could give Mechanist frontline meele strength without completely unbalancing it by splitting your damage 80 / 20 between you and your turret and give the turret a rotation that must be at least semi managed to be decent DPS. Kinda like a direct damage rather than DOT Smn with a more intense rotation. Balance it out by giving post 50 bards enhances on their songs and a new mid-high potency attack and Smn something that will look pretty on the parser so people warm up to it. BLM gets to stay as the sit and spit AOE and high DPS class so you don't need to gently caress with that formula.

Basically just give me Mechanist as a ranged Ninja with a tight rotation and turret commands instead of ninjitsu and you have yourself a winner. Hell the more tightly intertwined the rotations the better, managing a simple pet with a separate cooldown against your own cooldown, especially if your combos built off each-other, would be fun as poo poo and actually keep me awake as ranged. Sculpt your other ranged to fit around that.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 28, 2014

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The mechanics of a DPS class honestly don't matter as long as their DPS is competitive and if it's not, they have to offer raid utility to compensate (ie Bards). Which is why Dragoons are in a poopy place right now (but they are still viable as of 2.45) because they have the least utility of any DPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm guessing they'll do a utility pass over the DPS classes come Heavensward. WoW ended up doing something similar where the major raid buff/debuff effects got standardized and spread across numerous different classes so that it wasn't such a big deal that you brought a Ret Paladin instead of an Arms Warrior or whatnot.

• Locked thread