Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

SgtScruffy posted:

For curiosity, I thought for weight lifting, you wanted to have your shoes to be as flat as possible - what does the raised heel stuff do?

Little extra bit of leverage on stuff like squats and Olympic lifts. Some people deadlift in them, some don't. I'll probably try it and see how I like it. The heel's only raised 3/4" so I think that's actually still competition legal in most powerlifting federations, although the only lift it's likely to matter for in powerlifting is the squat (the other two being deadlift and bench press).

Anyway supposedly wearing those (Adidas Adipowers) is like being glued to the floor. The stability is really the important part, the raised heel is just a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Picked mine up for black friday.
Glued to the floor is an accurate description. I still deadlift barefoot but I don't know how I've overhead squat and snatched without them for so long.

Erudite Sybarite
Jun 11, 2007

Is that a first edition? I'm oddly aroused.
i love gift cards

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

a round griddle? :confused:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Cast iron for life

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Erudite Sybarite posted:

i love gift cards

Solid choices all around. (I assume wok is carbon steel and mandoline is Benriner. )

Erudite Sybarite
Jun 11, 2007

Thanks, and yes they are. The round griddle is more for my arepas, roti, and chapati. Gonna make so much unleavened bread this year.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Accessories for some shirts and shoes I got for Christmas:

Pocket squares from Spero Accessories, tie and laces from The Tie Bar

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Erudite Sybarite posted:

i love gift cards

I have this same thing. I love it

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Picked up Sleeping Dogs for (quite literally) the price of a Starbucks coffee.

Due to it's control system, and my kid spending his Christmas money on the early access Gang Beasts, (with it's new, non-improved un-mappable control scheme) I've had to drop 30 Kiwibucks on this;

All reviews seem to indicate it's okay for casual gaming, and should hold me over until I spring for an XBox controller down the line. (Or buy the PC version of GTA V and wear the Logitech out through overuse...)

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

Already read The Strange Library, and I'm waiting for Sabriel in the mail. I liked The Strange Library a lot, just wish I hadn't paid eighteen bucks for a short story disguised as a novella. The artwork was nice at least.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Picked up Sleeping Dogs for (quite literally) the price of a Starbucks coffee.

Due to it's control system, and my kid spending his Christmas money on the early access Gang Beasts, (with it's new, non-improved un-mappable control scheme) I've had to drop 30 Kiwibucks on this;

All reviews seem to indicate it's okay for casual gaming, and should hold me over until I spring for an XBox controller down the line. (Or buy the PC version of GTA V and wear the Logitech out through overuse...)
If that's the same as the one I bought in like 2003, and it looks like it is (though the face buttons might've been changed to look like Xbox buttons), it'll work great for you.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Spoon? Check, Fork? Check, Chopsticks? Check. Long handle to get to the bottom of your billy? Check. Under 120 grams for all of this. Aww yeah.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

IslamoNazi posted:

Spoon? Check, Fork? Check, Chopsticks? Check. Long handle to get to the bottom of your billy? Check. Under 120 grams for all of this. Aww yeah.

Where's the noife?

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

IslamoNazi posted:

Where did you find these?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

jadeddrifter posted:

Where did you find these?

Did a reverse google image search and came up with this. http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/titanium_kung_foon/

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Tracula posted:

Did a reverse google image search and came up with this. http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/titanium_kung_foon/

Thanks. Wow Under $20 was not expecting that.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I just moved into a new place and since I had to scale down to a single room in the previous, I get to buy a apartment full of new stuff!

local.amazon.com had a great deal on 20x30 custom gallery-wrap canvas prints for $50, so I'm putting frogs on my wall above my computer:

I always wondered what happened to all that poo poo you send back to amazon, well there's a thing called 'amazon warehouse' where they repackage and sell the used/damage stuff. So I picked up a small cookware set:

for $80 instead of $180 with a few minor perfections. I also got a bunch of other small random kitchen items that I didn't already have, mostly from the GWS recommendation thread. OXO is pretty prominent.

Still shopping for rugs, a couch/loveseat or couch/char combo, and I'm also looking at a transformable coffee table:

I'm leading towards if I can just get past the price. I may get a similar wooden one that doesn't have the fold-out leaves for half the price instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezzQ3y3nDU

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Awesome. I never head of the amazon warehouse. I am checking it out now.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

jadeddrifter posted:

It's great. The problems are usually nothing at all.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

A lot of returns are simply people didn't like the product. nothing wrong with it at all.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

jadeddrifter posted:

I bought a Moto G over it - USB port was broken. That was my only "negative" experience (they of course refunded the money inside of a few days). Bought printers, a PS Vita and several other smaller things through it, never had any issues. Stuff basically looked like new. The 30 day return makes it risk free.

Bought a Tylt Vu, because my old (10 $) QI-charger had only one coil which makes positioning of my Nexus 6 a bit annoying :

Amazing charger - for the price it better be. Love how it doesn't shine a laser into your eyes when it's charging. Very well built, very well thought out.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

This was my favorite pad on the SNES back in the day for Street Fighter 2 and other fighting games. On a lark, after reading the latest conversations in the Fighting Game thread, I checked eBay and found they're pretty cheap, so I grabbed a used one for 15 bucks.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Got a new watch. It's the classiest thing I own now.

Cuniculous
Apr 23, 2007

kill people burn shit fuck school

Such a good book. You're going to want the other three.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Decius posted:

I bought a Moto G over it - USB port was broken. That was my only "negative" experience (they of course refunded the money inside of a few days). Bought printers, a PS Vita and several other smaller things through it, never had any issues. Stuff basically looked like new. The 30 day return makes it risk free.

Bought a Tylt Vu, because my old (10 $) QI-charger had only one coil which makes positioning of my Nexus 6 a bit annoying :

Amazing charger - for the price it better be. Love how it doesn't shine a laser into your eyes when it's charging. Very well built, very well thought out.

How well does this work when you have a case on. Even the Google bumper on my Nexus 4 is enough to mess with a lot of QI chargers.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

IslamoNazi posted:

How well does this work when you have a case on. Even the Google bumper on my Nexus 4 is enough to mess with a lot of QI chargers.

I don't use a case, so I can't talk from my own experience, but people in the Android Phone thread say that it works even with the thicker cases.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

This was my favorite pad on the SNES back in the day for Street Fighter 2 and other fighting games. On a lark, after reading the latest conversations in the Fighting Game thread, I checked eBay and found they're pretty cheap, so I grabbed a used one for 15 bucks.

I'm trying to think how to hold that in a way that wouldn't be hella uncomfortable and I'm coming up blank.

Eit: Oh, for Street Fighter, so I'm guess you do that thing where you lay your palm flat and hit the D-Pad with your index and middle fingers?

Erudite Sybarite
Jun 11, 2007

I just found the local TJ Maxx. My wallet is okay with this.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
A Christmas gift from the wife.

And a treat for myself from Hard To Find Whiskey in Birmingham, a shop of wall to wall whiskey heaven.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm trying to think how to hold that in a way that wouldn't be hella uncomfortable and I'm coming up blank.

Eit: Oh, for Street Fighter, so I'm guess you do that thing where you lay your palm flat and hit the D-Pad with your index and middle fingers?

You have it backwards. You hold the left side in your left palm, use your thumb for the d-pad, and your right hand fingers (not thumb) for the attack buttons.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Fozaldo posted:

And a treat for myself from Hard To Find Whiskey in Birmingham, a shop of wall to wall whiskey heaven.

You are obviously a whiskey man. I recently got my dad some Bulleit bourbon whiskey for christmas. I wasnt sure what to buy, I was just looking at all the top shelf stuff. Was that a decent brand? I tried a sip of his eggnog cocktail, he obviously had too much in there but it didn't taste great to me. He usually just goes for seagrams and uses it to make highballs if you feel like making a suggestion for next year. :)

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Fozaldo posted:

I don't really like whisky, but I want to try that.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Cage posted:

You are obviously a whiskey man. I recently got my dad some Bulleit bourbon whiskey for christmas. I wasnt sure what to buy, I was just looking at all the top shelf stuff. Was that a decent brand? I tried a sip of his eggnog cocktail, he obviously had too much in there but it didn't taste great to me. He usually just goes for seagrams and uses it to make highballs if you feel like making a suggestion for next year. :)

I'm a whiskey guy too, and yes, Bulleit is good bourbon. I wouldn't waste it in eggnog, but that's because I hate eggnog and would prefer it either neat or in a cocktail where you can actually taste the bourbon.

If he just wants something to mix, I would suggest something cheaper, but if he likes the taste that's really what matters.

kannonfodder posted:

I don't really like whisky, but I want to try that.

Me too. I keep hearing how good Japanese single malts are but I never get the chance to try one.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Bertrand Hustle posted:

If he just wants something to mix, I would suggest something cheaper, but if he likes the taste that's really what matters.

How dare you not tell people to enjoy their alcohol? :colbert: That's the job of any alcohol aficionado.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'm a whiskey guy too, and yes, Bulleit is good bourbon. I wouldn't waste it in eggnog, but that's because I hate eggnog and would prefer it either neat or in a cocktail where you can actually taste the bourbon.

Well hes my dad, he never drinks it straight and I know its kind of a waste but I like to buy him nice stuff sometimes. :)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Bulleit is good but I'd hardly call it a sin to mix a sub-$30 750 ml bottle bourbon with anything.

Unless liquor prices are through the roof where you are...

Geoj has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Dec 29, 2014

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Ooh Bulliet chat! I've been on the Bulliet train for about a year now and a friend got me this for Christmas. Signed by Holli Bulliet the Bulliet heiress.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Me too. I keep hearing how good Japanese single malts are but I never get the chance to try one.

Japan now produce some exceptional whiskeys and as you can imagine their attention to detail and quality control is very top end. Trouble is it's fairly expensive here in the UK due to the importation costs so a young whiskey like that 10 year old is about £50 a bottle. Is it worth it? Yes I would say so, with a small splash of water that Yoichi opens up into very nice and complex whiskey that far outdoes a look of other well known brands at the same price (looking at you Johnnie Walker). Start getting into 15 year and older Japanese single malts and you will be blown away at how good they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Speaking of whiskey, my wife got me a bottle of 9-year Dickel for Christmas. Her brother and I ended up drinking about half of it that night, but it was some of the best whiskey I've ever had. The only one that really topped it was a 12-year Yamazaki I had a few years ago, back when you could get a bottle of that for just $45 near me. It's shot up to $90 now, which is too far outside of my price range when there are similarly excellent aged American whiskeys for half that.

Sumac has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Dec 29, 2014