Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The wing, definitely. I would take a cold beverage into the showers but I am connecting through when I fly there so a shower is needed more than if you're coming from hotel/apt.

Then grab noodles at the noodle bar. Not a bad way to start the trip.

If you can get a seat in the forward biz class cabin do that.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Apparently the aircraft for a flight I'll be on in business class has some backward facing seats, assuming there's no equipment swap.

Anybody ever flown one of those before? Good? Bad?

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
Take off and landing aren't as weird as you might think they would be facing aft. However, I'm much more comfortable with my feet up above my head than down below when I lay down so I prefer to face forward as the pitch of the plane's nose is significant and you might feel a little off when you are trying to sleep.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

Apparently the aircraft for a flight I'll be on in business class has some backward facing seats, assuming there's no equipment swap.

Some people get really motion sick in those - they also have the same problem in rear facing train and subway seats so hopefully you know yourself already. If it's a problem ask around, someone will usually trade.

It can be a little awkward if you have an aisle seat in the last row and you spend the whole flight staring at the first few rows of coach; have a book or something to prevent that.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Midjack posted:

Some people get really motion sick in those - they also have the same problem in rear facing train and subway seats so hopefully you know yourself already. If it's a problem ask around, someone will usually trade.

It can be a little awkward if you have an aisle seat in the last row and you spend the whole flight staring at the first few rows of coach; have a book or something to prevent that.

Hah I can imagine someone from the dregs of FlyerTalk explicitly requesting this.

hello plebs.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I remember the old Southwest "club style" seating, which seemed to have designed for making new friends creating awkward social interactions.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

kitten smoothie posted:

I remember the old Southwest "club style" seating, which seemed to have designed for making new friends creating awkward social interactions.

This was the first seat I ever had on a plane (except when I was less than 2 years old). I thought it was totally normal.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Small White Dragon posted:

I just got off a rear-facing J seat on a 767-300 operating ORD-BRU. I like them for the novelty of doing something different; I don't sleep any different in them versus forward facing seats but I also don't suffer from motion sickness.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Hah I can imagine someone from the dregs of FlyerTalk explicitly requesting this.

hello plebs.

Nah, they'd just be posting about it to ask for a consensus of how many RDM they should get as compensation for the apathetic flight crew leaving the curtain open.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's incredibly accurate.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So flyer talk luggage tags are a thing now? Won't airline crew look at you with disgust

PittPanther
Sep 6, 2006
Amex membership rewards currently has a 40% transfer bonus to Avios. I live in NYC, so presumably I could use American/US Airways. I usually fly Delta, but the bonus may be too good to pass up.

Anyone have any thoughts on redeeming Avios points, vs waiting for a transfer bonus to Delta?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

PittPanther posted:

Amex membership rewards currently has a 40% transfer bonus to Avios. I live in NYC, so presumably I could use American/US Airways. I usually fly Delta, but the bonus may be too good to pass up.

Anyone have any thoughts on redeeming Avios points, vs waiting for a transfer bonus to Delta?

I got in on the 100k MR promo and I'm likely transferring that entire thing into Avios. It's taken me over 3 years to cash in 100k Avios from a Visa signature promo a while back as well.

It's a no brainer for me based on two reasons: the last time a similar transfer promo happened was years ago, plus I am based out of a major AA hub, which means Avios availability is generally pretty good despite all the ways it's gone downhill over the years.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

For those of you keeping score, I just got approved for Global Entry in less than a month. It took roughly 24 hours for the background check to go through, despite having 8 addresses for the past five years and some weird employment history/gaps (I was a student). For the interview, ORD is wide freaking open for reservations right now and I could have gone in literally the next day, but I couldn't find my passport. The interview itself was less than 20 minutes. I got the final approval email on the way home on the blue line.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Damnit. I just found out that Chase Sapphire Preferred is killing the annual 7% dividend points.

Just gets harder and harder.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

My recent trip to Asia was also part of an AA platinum challenge, and the qualification just posted :yayclod:

Starting the year with that, HH Gold (requalified so I'm dumping the credit card) and I'll probably go for a status match on Virgin since I just opened a credit card with them.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Why would you dump the card because you have hhonors status? Bare min charge your Hilton stays on it for the point multiplier. If you mean the surpass Amex, your Hilton bonus is 7points on the dollar for Hilton charges.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

The original reason I got the card was to instantly get gold once I got back into a position with frequent travel plus those 2 night certificates are pretty nice.

Closing the card because I'm starting a new job and I don't know for sure yet, but generally getting the impression that I won't be allowed to use personal cards for business travel. The theory here is that maybe I can churn it later.

PittPanther
Sep 6, 2006

air- posted:

I got in on the 100k MR promo and I'm likely transferring that entire thing into Avios. It's taken me over 3 years to cash in 100k Avios from a Visa signature promo a while back as well.

It's a no brainer for me based on two reasons: the last time a similar transfer promo happened was years ago, plus I am based out of a major AA hub, which means Avios availability is generally pretty good despite all the ways it's gone downhill over the years.

I have the same 100k promo. How is Avios in terms of reward flights? Better than average? I know Delta SkyMiles are seriously devalued. How does Avios compare?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

PittPanther posted:

I have the same 100k promo. How is Avios in terms of reward flights? Better than average? I know Delta SkyMiles are seriously devalued. How does Avios compare?

The main ways I've used Avios are for coach redemptions on US domestic flights as well as within Asia. It's possible (though I wouldn't recommend it these days) to find last minute seats, and they don't raise the fees as it gets closer to travel date unlike AA redemptions. One big point to consider is which BA partners don't charge fees, AA is one of them :)

I'm interested in getting Avios put back into my account to try and use them for intra-eu travel redeemed through BA partners (Air Berlin, Aer Lingus). Another key thing is to avoid flying through LHR else you'll get hit by huge taxes/fees.

There's a wealth of stuff to read on how to maximize Avios redemptions, here's a good place to start (the "How does it save money" header covers both of us, I'm in DFW and I'm guessing you'd use JFK):
http://travelisfree.com/2013/06/18/best-use-ba-avios/

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Aristotle Animes posted:

Damnit. I just found out that Chase Sapphire Preferred is killing the annual 7% dividend points.

Just gets harder and harder.

This is bullshit. I'm canceling it after this and my horrible experience purchasing travel with UR points this year

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

What's the advantage of booking through UR. I would think that booking direct through your or hotel w/ status is the way to go but I suppose chase works to buy bulk tickets and thus you get a grab bag of "gently caress you".

Edit: Q: What kind of human being poasts on Xmas? A: A fag on a MR.

Jeet Crise

AgrippaNothing fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 26, 2014

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
You get a 20% discount if you book with points. A $500 ticket/hotel only costs 40,000 points. Discovered it wasn't worth it after Hilton told me to shove my status up my rear end because I booked with a third party. Also the booking reps I dealt with from chase were mega assholes.

And I had the flu this week so :hfive: fellow lame Christmas posting BFCer

oxsnard fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 26, 2014

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I am on day five of this trip and have yet to be able to sleep through the goddamn night. I have never had jet lag this bad anywhere else in the world or on previous trips to Europe. My body is an rear end in a top hat. :colbert:

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Now that the rest of my year is firm, it's time for my end-of-year status update.

I was able to earn gold status on MileagePlus for the first time, ending the year with exactly 60 segments. I ended up flying 86 total flights this year (see my 2014 Flight Log) across 6 airlines. All of them were domestic this year, though at least not all were CONUS.

I reclaimed HHonors Diamond – it wasn't even close, as I'll end the year with 97 nights in Hilton properties. I also managed to spend two nights in Marriott properties (Gaylord Opryland), 1 night in Wyndham (AA put me up at a Baymont at CLT), 6 nights in a vacation home I rented with some friends, and 1 night in military base lodging.

Rental cars I don't even bother tracking, since our rental car travel policy is "cheapest listed, period," which leaves me completely spread out across everyone.

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005
Flew 120k miles at 0% earn, mixed emotions. On the one hand, I'd probably use the miles for upgrades, but on the other, all of my flights were business class anyway.

Working with airlines leads to no status is what I'm getting at here.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you're flying business class for free you've won the game. Or if you don't agree then you likely post on flyer talk which means you've lost the game.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

QZ8501 missing :(

A320 flying SUB-SIN

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My parents checked into their room a day early and were given a complimentary upgrade because they were on my reservation. And gave them the walk in shower room as they are old. I love spg.

Also silvercar was a slick car rental for those that want a better car and don't have status but want to feel like they do

sellouts fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 28, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

sellouts posted:

If you're flying business class for free you've won the game. Or if you don't agree then you likely post on flyer talk which means you've lost the game.

I irritated a fellow frequent traveler at a bar by questioning the time reward ratio of his crazy travel point scheming. At a certain point it becomes a sickness.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Well, that's just like, your opinion, man

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

PittPanther posted:

Avios prices awards PER-SEGMENT, so it's often more advantageous if you're going nonstop. Short and mid-haul non-stops in both economy and business class can often be a good deal with Avios, but long-haul, first class, and flights with connections are often not. Also, the fees can differ a lot depending on who you are redeeming on.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Zeroed mileage balances. :(

So it begins.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

sellouts posted:

My parents checked into their room a day early and were given a complimentary upgrade because they were on my reservation. And gave them the walk in shower room as they are old. I love spg.

Also silvercar was a slick car rental for those that want a better car and don't have status but want to feel like they do

Can you get Silvercar outside of TX now? Last time I heard/saw about them was reading an in-flight magazine a few years ago. The concept in general seems good, I hate dealing with traditional rental places.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
If you're gold on Delta do you get auto gifted silver next year? I'm trying to figure something out...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Uncle Jam posted:

If you're gold on Delta do you get auto gifted silver next year? I'm trying to figure something out...

No.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I mean, generally speaking getting status one year will ensure you're good for the following calendar year as well, if that's what you meant.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Mackieman posted:

Zeroed mileage balances. :(

So it begins.

A blank slate on 2015's flightmemory dort com on which I will paint my mobius strip of dumb.

Uncle Jam posted:

Soft landings haven't been happening for a couple years. You can call and threaten but you're position is weak unless you can show them another airline status card proving that your travel hasn't declined and you are playing footsie with AA or the like.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

movax posted:

Can you get Silvercar outside of TX now? Last time I heard/saw about them was reading an in-flight magazine a few years ago. The concept in general seems good, I hate dealing with traditional rental places.

Yeah. Denver rents q5s if you want to rent it for skiing.

Denver, la, Miami, Phoenix, SF outside of Texas for A4s.

At dfw they moved offsite which I guess will be company policy, but they brought the car to me which is actually more convenient. Not to mention private drop off when you return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Aristotle Animes posted:

A blank slate on 2015's flightmemory dort com on which I will paint my mobius strip of dumb.

Soft landings haven't been happening for a couple years. You can call and threaten but you're position is weak unless you can show them another airline status card proving that your travel hasn't declined and you are playing footsie with AA or the like.

It's weird because that's apparently what happened. I mean silver has no advantage whatsoever, so whatever. A few times this year they also gave me lounge access out of the blue. My company is huge so I dunno if they're sponsoring this or what the he'll is going on.