Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ribsauce posted:

What I don't understand. One player does not want to talk to the media and has made it obvious he won't say anything. Why can't the media just talk to the 52 other players without throwing a temper tantrum?

Because people want quotes from the dude who just trucked five guys for a spectacular touchdown and not a random guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbler
Feb 13, 2007

America's Game, the way it's meant to be played.
I read a good article after the game in the Seattle Times that had a bunch of quotes from Lynch's teammates on the run. Didn't affect the quality of the piece in my opinion to not have him directly quoted. Seems like it's still possible to do your job without it being hand-fed to you. People care way too much about this.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

how on earth can i enjoy football if i don't know a football player thanks his teammates and the lord jesus christ but plans to take it one game at a time

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nibbler posted:

I read a good article after the game in the Seattle Times that had a bunch of quotes from Lynch's teammates on the run. Didn't affect the quality of the piece in my opinion to not have him directly quoted. Seems like it's still possible to do your job without it being hand-fed to you. People care way too much about this.

Pretty much. I much prefer hearing Bennet call it the best run since the Underground Railroad to whatever poo poo soundbite Lynch doesn't want to give.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ribsauce posted:

What I don't understand. One player does not want to talk to the media and has made it obvious he won't say anything. Why can't the media just talk to the 52 other players without throwing a temper tantrum?

Because the media are children and cannot stand not being the most important people in the world.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The media holds the players and coaches accountable. Without them, this whole charade would crumble into the dust.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Democratic Pirate posted:

The media holds the players and coaches accountable. Without them, this whole charade would crumble into the dust.

Roger Goodell

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because people want quotes from the dude who just trucked five guys for a spectacular touchdown and not a random guard.

Yea well he isn't going to give them so they have two options. Cry like little babies or nut up and go try to get a quote from someone else. Since it is the media, break out the kleenex

Democratic Pirate posted:

Omar Kelly account spotted

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Chichevache being a disingenuous gently caress again? Stop the presses.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ribsauce posted:

Yea well he isn't going to give them so they have two options. Cry like little babies or nut up and go try to get a quote from someone else. Since it is the media, break out the kleenex

Well this can be reversed and applied to Marshawn as well.

They aren't going to leave him alone, so he can either play ball or be a baby, it is his choice.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Chichevache being a disingenuous gently caress again? Stop the presses.

He has a point, honestly

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

how on earth can i enjoy football if i don't know a football player thanks his teammates and the lord jesus christ but plans to take it one game at a time

my day is always brightened knowing they just went out there and gave 100% and just executed out there

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Ribsauce posted:

Because "Marshawn didn't tell me anything AGAIN" is an easy story for them to write on Monday and it will get a lot of clicks and prompt discussions like this on the internet and around water coolers. At this point Marshawn & The Media is as much a running story as anything he does on the field.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Sour Diesel posted:

my day is always brightened knowing they just went out there and gave 100% and just executed out there

It always brings me comfort after a loss to know that my team had a plan but that their opponent also had a plan that they just executed better. It is reassuring to hear the leadership admit to the fact that guys need to step up and make plays.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
The good news is we will be back to work on Monday to review tape and fix these mistakes so it won't happen again, and we will step it up next week, god bless

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

In the perfect goon sports media world members of the media sit in a little corner or perhaps in another room like weird little gremlins, quietly listening to monitoring equipment and harvesting quotes so as not to disturb or inconvenience the players

Media training and canned answers aside, if you're doing a story on a team you probably want to talk to the most important players on the team and if you're doing a story on a player you totally want to talk to that player. It's way weirder to try and skitter around him lest you offend the mighty gamesman Marshawn Lynch.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

GNU Order posted:

In the perfect goon sports media world members of the media sit in a little corner or perhaps in another room like weird little gremlins, quietly listening to monitoring equipment and harvesting quotes so as not to disturb or inconvenience the players

Media training and canned answers aside, if you're doing a story on a team you probably want to talk to the most important players on the team and if you're doing a story on a player you totally want to talk to that player. It's way weirder to try and skitter around him lest you offend the mighty gamesman Marshawn Lynch.

in a perfect world they're working in a salt mine

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

GNU Order posted:

I don't understand your histrionics. :confused: My ideal is that they ask the dude a question, he doesn't answer, and they move on to go find a willing interview. This isn't the loving White House. He's a nobody football player, not someone with any importance or responsibilities. We don't need his answers like he's a press correspondent holding out about CIA abuses. This nutty idea that we need to know how opinion because he makes a lot of money is really odd.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Hawks beat reporter:

Bob Condotta ‏@bcondotta
No real Marshawn Lynch interview afterward. Asked reporters why they approach every week. Pretty much ended there.

Which I think is a fair question for him to ask.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Chichevache posted:

I don't understand your histrionics. :confused: My ideal is that they ask the dude a question, he doesn't answer, and they move on to go find a willing interview. This isn't the loving White House. He's a nobody football player, not someone with any importance or responsibilities. We don't need his answers like he's a press correspondent holding out about CIA abuses. This nutty idea that we need to know how opinion because he makes a lot of money is really odd.

I totally agree with you, but I do think-- because football is an entertainment industry -- that many of its consumers like hearing what their favorite athletes have to say. I know we at TFF laugh at their canned answers to questions, but I think sports leagues assume it keeps fans closer to the product if you can interview the players/coaches after big wins and losses.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Athletes are celebrities and public figures, not because of the media but because of the leagues and the public both wanting them to be

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
MMQB ran an overview/best-of-2014 on NFL Sports Journalism.

PFT Commenter wins an award.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
PFT Commenter is extremely good and when he feels like it he can own the living poo poo out of the rest of the media no offense to Adrian Peterson

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@SI_PeterKing: RIP, Mario Cuomo. A great public servant.

@SI_PeterKing: RT @southshield: did you tell the Maitre d’? … I don’t understand. What do you mean?

hahahaha

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

football fuckerman posted:

PFT Commenter is extremely good and when he feels like it he can own the living poo poo out of the rest of the media no offense to Adrian Peterson

People forget that

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
PFT Commenter is a machine. On back to back days he had twp of the most creative and hilarious articles I read all year followed by a third one in the same week (OBJ gang sign catch, Ferguson Seasons Greetings, Police protestor hiippies)
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/11/24/7271547/mmbm-week-12-was-odell-beckham-making-a-gang-sign-during-his-catch
http://strongtakes.com/2014/11/i-am-shocked-by-the-prejudice-shown-towards-ferguson-protesters/
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/12/1/7310107/mmbm-week-13

All three of those are just so out there and creative

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I liked Kirk Herbstreit immediately after FSU-Oregon yesterday saying, "To all you doubters out there, can you please stop with the "Oregon is a soft team" narrative?"

You and your loving moron co-workers are the only ones saying that you talentless sack of monkey poo poo!

Also, Herbstreit thought that Oklahoma would be #2 by the end of the year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Curious if you guys know: Is PFTCommenter the alter ego of a real SB Nation/KSK writer or was he just a gimmick commenter that they thought was funny and then reached out to? Or was he a Twitter personality first?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Curious if you guys know: Is PFTCommenter the alter ego of a real SB Nation/KSK writer or was he just a gimmick commenter that they thought was funny and then reached out to? Or was he a Twitter personality first?

He was a twitter person at first.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Yeah SBNation just caught on that he is loving amazing and asked him to do longer stuff. I Love The PFTCommenter

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I really don't care about what Lynch does or doesn't say, but I find his total contempt of the media baffling. Was his mother Lady Diana or something? The dude is a gimmicky guy. From the grills, to the roped off Lambo, to the Skittles, to the flying crotch grab, Marshawn wants attention. So why does he get all uppity when reporters want to talk to him? Was he burned by a reporter in the past?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

football fuckerman posted:

Yeah SBNation just caught on that he is loving amazing and asked him to do longer stuff. I Love The PFTCommenter

Indeed he is. Does anybody outside of his circle know who he is IRL?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Deep down, we all are PFTCommenter

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Indeed he is. Does anybody outside of his circle know who he is IRL?

I do, but I guess I'm sort of in his circle since he writes for the same site I do and I've talked to him behind the scenes

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Ostentatious posted:

Deep down, we all are PFTCommenter

When I first saw his poo poo on twitter I read barely at all and simply thought it was an easily thought up gimmick character. But goddamn the dude has dropped some amazing one liners even just barely a few minutes removed from whatever event just took place. Guy owns.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Febreeze posted:

I do, but I guess I'm sort of in his circle since he writes for the same site I do and I've talked to him behind the scenes

Does he have a regular job? I like to imagine he is some nerdy IT guy who never says anything in real life then drops 30 legitimately funny jokes a day on twitter.

Honestly, he is so funny I wouldn't be surprised if he was a professional comedy writer, like the Fire Joe Morgan guys.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

I really don't care about what Lynch does or doesn't say, but I find his total contempt of the media baffling. Was his mother Lady Diana or something? The dude is a gimmicky guy. From the grills, to the roped off Lambo, to the Skittles, to the flying crotch grab, Marshawn wants attention. So why does he get all uppity when reporters want to talk to him? Was he burned by a reporter in the past?

Need to misspell a few words if you're trying to ape him, and be funny

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Pron on VHS posted:

Need to misspell a few words if you're trying to ape him, and be funny

lol

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Ribsauce posted:

Does he have a regular job? I like to imagine he is some nerdy IT guy who never says anything in real life then drops 30 legitimately funny jokes a day on twitter.

Honestly, he is so funny I wouldn't be surprised if he was a professional comedy writer, like the Fire Joe Morgan guys.

I honestly don't know, never asked.

I don't know much about him, just a few things from working with him. I will say he is a super nice guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

You'd get shot saying something like that in Atlanta.

• Locked thread