Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Soricidus posted:

yeah, what kind of idiot would try to install linux on a netbook of all things, everyone knows those were designed for windows xp
Yeah I thought it was a netbook. 600px vertical sounds like an original EeePC though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

Yeah I thought it was a netbook. 600px vertical sounds like an original EeePC though.

the HP minis were a line of ultraportables; you could get a 1366x768 screen for a 50% markup. For browsing the web or a cheap laptop to travel with they're not bad.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ShadowHawk posted:

I think the original eee only had 480px vertical? 600px vertical was standard on pretty much every other netbook ever though. only the really expensive ones had 768px, and what kind of fool would pay for an expensive netbook? apart from me

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Soricidus posted:

I think the original eee only had 480px vertical? 600px vertical was standard on pretty much every other netbook ever though. only the really expensive ones had 768px, and what kind of fool would pay for an expensive netbook? apart from me
Regardless if you want to use an old school netbook you'll need to avoid using modern Gnome. I think Lubuntu (LXDE) might support screen sizes like that.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
h-how about *snort* ahah. how about ubuntu phone? huh?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

why would a phone OS work on a sub phone resolution screen?

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
Sony had the Vaio P series, which had ridiculous 1600 x 768 displays. Fuckers were tiny. I coveted the hell out of them even while whatever 12" ThinkPad I had at the time was suiting my needs.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

Regardless if you want to use an old school netbook you'll need to avoid using modern Gnome. I think Lubuntu (LXDE) might support screen sizes like that.

I find debian and fvwm work very nicely, and you get a free bottle of gray dye if your beard color is currently inappropriate

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Soricidus posted:

I find debian and fvwm work very nicely,

same except ubuntu net install but debian is still ok i guess

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ShadowHawk posted:

why wouldn't you just use twm? why does the widget set used by some apps matter?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Something that doesn't match the late 80s in graphics capabilities

the de facto standard in the late 80s was 1152x900

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the hardware can't be that new since it takes about a decade to get sound working on any given linux

sound has worked pretty good on linux since like 1997

pram
Jun 10, 2001
uhh no oss was poo poo

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

there is no acceptable method of knowing if the sound works in lunix

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
what is your average out of the box Linux laptop's sound IO latency compared to a Mac laptop these days?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

what is your average out of the box Linux laptop's sound IO latency compared to a Mac laptop these days?

the latency for drivers themselves tends to be pretty good

real-world latency is probably gonna be lovely because of pulseaudio

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

so bad

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
I like to believe that sound has always been perfect but nobody could tell because the autists designed the sound to start out muted

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
At the risk of outing myself as an ubuntu user, I'd like to point out that there's always the annoying "ready to login" and "logging in the user" sounds that are super annoying but not annoying enough for me to actually go and change it.

I usually just leave my headphones off until well after I login, when I actually start some music.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the de facto standard in the late 80s was 1152x900

if your budget for a workstation was large enough to buy a small car, yes, that was so

for people and organizations with less to spend the de facto standard was 640x480 or less

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

theadder posted:

there is no acceptable method of knowing if the sound works in lunix

my name is linux torvalds and I pronounce linux uh linux

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sniep posted:

bad enough that you couldn't cue up Harlem Shake and have it finish playing before everyone was totally tired of it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sniep posted:

so bad that for Linux users Chinese democracy hasn't started playing yet

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

if your budget for a workstation was large enough to buy a small car, yes, that was so

for people and organizations with less to spend the de facto standard was 640x480 or less

if you had less to spend, you didn't have a bit mapped display

window systems on cga/Hercules were useless

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. But can anyone recommend a good laptop that supports backbox or kali out of the box? Looking for something in the sub $500 range

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jadeddrifter posted:

good laptop

$500 range

lmao

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jadeddrifter posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. But can anyone recommend a good laptop that supports backbox or kali out of the box? Looking for something in the sub $500 range

"good" starts around $1500

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol gently caress you lenovo http://www.lenovo.com/in/en/faqs/used-laptops/

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
In a word, no

pram
Jun 10, 2001
he just needs a shitbox to run wireshark on obviously. just buy a chromebook noob

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

jadeddrifter posted:

i wan to be a hax0r but dont want to deal with getting drivers to work lol

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Jimferd posted:

i wan to be a hax0r but dont want to deal with getting drivers to work lol

Sure I could figure out all the drivers and make everything work. but why deal with all that if you don't have to. If I can find a good/fair laptop that I can just load up and go why not go with that.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I got Linux. Bitching about microsoft and apple to secure top spot at penguin slides.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

jadeddrifter posted:

Sure I could use linux. but why deal with all that if you don't have to.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"good" starts around $1500

no, actually, it starts at $900 with the 11-inch MacBook Air

but it definitely doesn't start below that, unless you're talking about a refurbished MacBook Air

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

an arm air

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

theadder posted:

an arm air

jony no

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

we have no right to question him

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
alright you h8rs what is teh tallest midget of the linux world??

say for a work desktop or maybe a home server (bear in mind that i need linux for work, and id like to dick around with a linux server specifically)

also vis a vis server would it be best to install some kind of bullshit hypervisor thing and then just run vms on it or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

jadeddrifter posted:

probably most of them since kali is debian haha