Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yep can pretty solidly strike that one off the list. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Its anime yogi bear who falls in love with ranger smith? That sounds sweet as h*ck.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ikuhara fuckin' rules and I can't wait to watch the bear anime.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

Yep can pretty solidly strike that one off the list. :stare:

Yeah, off the list of stuff I won't be watching (a very short list)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Despite their utterly outlandish premises, there tends to be lots of social commentary and a strong thematic message in Ikuhara's work. Wonder what the hell it could possibly be this time around?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I wonder if Japan took calling lesbians lilies from France or if France took it from Japan.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

This went from being in my 'must watch' list to staying in my 'must watch' list.

Hell of a trip for a show to make, you know?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

If anyone is thinking about giving Yuki Yuna a chance: The final episode was today and overall the show is solid and I can recommend it. The pacing is a bit slow, but it is deliberate and pays off in the end.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of unpopular kuma lesbian, only two weeks until the Kantai Collection anime airs.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Looks like DanMachi is set to air in April. I just finished reading volume 6 of the light novel the other day, and I love this stupid pulpy thing to death, so I hope it'll do the original justice.

If someone's curious, it's been published in English recently, and I'm told the translation is pretty decent to read.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Mind, like, explaining what it is so we know you're not trying to trick us into reading/watching another Cross Ange?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
More details tomorrow but the next KyoAni show looks pretty cool.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Mind, like, explaining what it is so we know you're not trying to trick us into reading/watching another Cross Ange?

I wrote down my impressions when I read vol 1 back in May:

Finished reading Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru darou ka vol 1 by Oomori Fujino. It's been spiking in popularity on the new title rankings, and selling unusually well for something that hasn't been animated yet, so I figured I'd check it out.

It follows 14-year-old Bell, who's come to the big city in order to become an Adventurer, so he can delve deep into the dungeon underneath the central tower, where he's hoping to have a chance encounter with a damsel in distress, whom he can save in dashingly romantic fashion, and add to his harem. Except, he's the one who ends up being rescued from certain death by a fair sword maiden.

It's set in a fantasy world, where the Gods have descended from their heavenly abode, and now entertain themselves by founding Familia, where members are granted powers through an arcane ceremony involving divine blood, which somehow transforms their accumulated experience into numbered stat increases and new passive abilities. It's literally an RPG turned into a light novel. With dungeon crawl grinding and weapon shopping.

No doubt this sounds horrible, but it turns out to be kind of enjoyable, in a harmlessly entertaining way. Granted, there's an overload of details on the workings of this world, but at the same time it's a bit refreshing to find a light novel with so little dialogue, since they usually read more like anime scripts than literature. I'm also curious to see where the author wants to take this, so I'll be getting another volume or two.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I've read the manga version of it. It's typical harem fare with dungeon crawling on the side in my opinion.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Allarion posted:

I've read the manga version of it. It's typical harem fare with dungeon crawling on the side in my opinion.

I have been wondering how it'd adapt to visual media. It's possible the balance gets shifted that way in the manga, but as a novel it's great. I've seen people say it's a bit like the Slayers of our day, very adventurey and fun, and I sort of agree with that. Less humour, though. It's written very sincerely, with tons of enthusiasm for RPGs, and it's highly contagious. I was forced to play through Dragon Quest 9 after finishing the first book, because I was itching to do some leveling of my own.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 27, 2014

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Finally another K-On, I can't wait to not watch this.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Okay, so I guess nobody but me will watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxhpfkyg7_c

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

i will watch this show with you

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

darkgray posted:

I try to watch at least one episode of everything that comes out. I may not continue it after that, but I will at least watch the first episode with you.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I've been following the manga and will probably watch it. I've watched less promising dumb harem LN adaptations that that one.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

When the heck are we getting Kaiji season 3.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

darkgray posted:

Is this the show translated as "is it really okay to pick up girls in this dungeon?!" because I admire the name but I probably won't watch it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I am definitely going to watch that SHAFT show about the eroticism of cooking this season, in case anyone was wondering.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Is this the show translated as "is it really okay to pick up girls in this dungeon?!" because I admire the name but I probably won't watch it

The official English title was made "Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?" so pretty close! I read a ton of light novels (as a way to learn more Japanese), and this is the most entertaining title being published right now, probably. I think there's more to it than the lovely title suggests. The anime may prove me wrong, of course.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

here is a promo for it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6B320TbJk

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

that sure looks like a kyoani show

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So instead of the light music club, it's the big band club?

I am okay with this.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's Tatsuya Ishihara directing and I have no knowledge of the source material so it's completely unknown if it's going to be as amazing as his best or another Chunibyo. However, I want to believe, so I'm just going to go ahead and get excited for this.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Zorak please implement the "I Want To Believe" tag from BYOB and P/C here, thanks in advance.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's Tatsuya Ishihara directing and I have no knowledge of the source material so it's completely unknown if it's going to be as amazing as his best or another Chunibyo. However, I want to believe, so I'm just going to go ahead and get excited for this.

The writer has worked on Beyond the Boundary and Chuu S2 so I want it to be good but dang I am probably gonna wait for this one to end so people can tell me if it's good or not. I don't feel like getting burned by the same scriptwriter thrice in a row.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

I'm digging the music, if nothing else...

Srice posted:

The writer has worked on Beyond the Boundary and Chuu S2 so I want it to be good but dang I am probably gonna wait for this one to end so people can tell me if it's good or not. I don't feel like getting burned by the same scriptwriter thrice in a row.

...but I doubt I could sit through a story written by someone with that history for the sake of good music.

e: VV Not like there was much story to write, and all the comedy sections were already planned out for them in manga form. His job was just to compose the comedy bits into a show.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 28, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Give the guy some credit, he did Nichijou too.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

No saxophone? No sale. :colbert:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I give this three episodes before it degenerates into the club just eating sweets 24/7.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I'm so watching this.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ViggyNash posted:

e: VV Not like there was much story to write, and all the comedy sections were already planned out for them in manga form. His job was just to compose the comedy bits into a show.

I'll be honest, I'm still not sure if you guys were referring to the director Tatsuya Ishihara, or the Series Composition Jukki Hanada, so I just went with Nichijou both because it is good and because both of them had worked on it. Both also did Beyond the Boundary and Chuu2, which were both pretty dull. Both have pretty good credits between the two of them regardless though, with Ishihara having directed Clannad and Haruhi, while Hanada has done the composition for Steins;gate and a bunch of other anime both good and bad. Course, it's possible the original light novel may be poor or lacking substance, which I assumed happened with Beyond the Boundary and Chuu2 to an extent. Obviously liberties were taken with Chuu2, but I remember goons enjoying the anime original characters more than the actual plot and main characters.

Course, Euphonium is totally K-on plus 2 dudes though, with one of those dudes probably being the childhood friend.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Allarion posted:

I'll be honest, I'm still not sure if you guys were referring to the director Tatsuya Ishihara, or the Series Composition Jukki Hanada, so I just went with Nichijou both because it is good and because both of them had worked on it. Both also did Beyond the Boundary and Chuu2, which were both pretty dull. Both have pretty good credits between the two of them regardless though, with Ishihara having directed Clannad and Haruhi, while Hanada has done the composition for Steins;gate and a bunch of other anime both good and bad. Course, it's possible the original light novel may be poor or lacking substance, which I assumed happened with Beyond the Boundary and Chuu2 to an extent. Obviously liberties were taken with Chuu2, but I remember goons enjoying the anime original characters more than the actual plot and main characters.

Course, Euphonium is totally K-on plus 2 dudes though, with one of those dudes probably being the childhood friend.

Huh. BtB and Chuu2 were flukes then, I guess?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Well I don't know about Chuu2, but Beyond the Boundary at least came from a source material that was even worse than the anime we got. The anime is the better version and an improvement on the terrible story of BtB.

It is still absolutely awful but apparently in the light novel version, the protagonist is even worse about his glasses fetish to the point of never talking about anything else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah. KyoAni's weird 'write a LN for us to make an anime of' thing has mostly lead to a bunch of really garbage LNs coming into existence.

Free! is far and away the best of the lot, at least from what I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I can't imagine Free! working well in a non-visual medium.

• Locked thread