Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Cactus posted:

Ooh ooh oooh gonna do a search for Review because I've seen everything on youtube from that show!

...it's not on there i rest my case.

Review is definitely included on there for free Prime streaming:
http://www.amazon.com/Sex-Tape-Racist-Hunting/dp/B00IGCDYX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419710836&sr=8-1&keywords=review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Amazon Prime is worth it for Alpha House, Transparent, and The Good Wife. :colbert:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Didn't Prime just add a shitload of HBO shows?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Didn't Prime just add a shitload of HBO shows?

They did. Prime is good for having select shows that Netflix doesn't have. Though i stopped binging on it towards the end of my free month. It's up to you whether it's worth the money to have both.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Lycus posted:

They did. Prime is good for having select shows that Netflix doesn't have. Though i stopped binging on it towards the end of my free month. It's up to you whether it's worth the money to have both.

I forgot to cancel prime, but I got 95% of my purchases before christmas.

If I'm choosing between netflix and Amazon, is Netflix always better?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Pillowpants posted:

If I'm choosing between netflix and Amazon, is Netflix always better?

Historically and currently, but always and forever? Who is to say what tomorrow will bring?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Spatula City posted:

Amazon Prime is worth it for Alpha House, Transparent, and The Good Wife. :colbert:

It's worth it for the 2 day shipping. Also remember you can split it between 5 people, just only the primary account gets their bad streaming service.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah limiting it to one account per house is offensive given that when they rolled streaming out here they bumped the price of Prime by 60% for a re-branded LoveFilm. If it weren't for the fact we have multiple people shipping to this address, and thus split the bill, we'd have dumped it there and then. Still, at least we get guaranteed next delivery, including Sundays.

In other news, I finally got around to watching season three of The Newsroom. The rape story wasn't quite as atrocious as I'd expected, but that may be because the constant stream of low level misogyny running through the rest of the programme dulled me to it. Or maybe it was a clock being (sort of) right once a day situation. Either way, gently caress Aaron Sorkin, he's the Gurm of TV writers.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 28, 2014

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

It asks me to pay. Maybe it's cos I'm in the UK, or on a trial I don't know.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Prime in the UK gets you next day shipping which is pretty great, but they closed the loophole of being allowed to add 'family members' who were in reality just your mates so you could split the fee multiple ways. They also added a fair chunk to the cost to include Prime Video which I don't think you can opt out. I don't use Amazon enough to warrant the cost, which is a shame because the service is brill. Although I bought an item yesterday and opted for the free shipping and it arrived today, which is pretty crazy given how busy they must be right now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cactus posted:

It asks me to pay. Maybe it's cos I'm in the UK, or on a trial I don't know.

Like most streaming services rights deals have to be worked out on a per-country basis. Being the UK you won't get nearly as much as the US does. That's normal.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

EL BROMANCE posted:

Prime in the UK gets you next day shipping which is pretty great, but they closed the loophole of being allowed to add 'family members' who were in reality just your mates so you could split the fee multiple ways. They also added a fair chunk to the cost to include Prime Video which I don't think you can opt out. I don't use Amazon enough to warrant the cost, which is a shame because the service is brill. Although I bought an item yesterday and opted for the free shipping and it arrived today, which is pretty crazy given how busy they must be right now.

Yeah, they are really on the ball with their courier partners at the moment. They're probably chucking everything into the fast wagons while they have the extra Christmas drivers available.

And you're right, you can't opt out of the streaming here. Even with the enormous price hike it still saves on our average postage costs in a year, and if someone else wants to use the streaming they sign in using the primary account on an alternate browser.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, the DPD tracking they used on Prime is next level. What's that, you've GPS tracked the delivery guy so I can see him on a map, along with an up to the minute expectation of when to expect him and what position in the queue I am? No more worrying if you can pop to Tesco quickly.

My housemate gets something similar for free off them because he works at a university, so I'll just tunnel my orders through him from now on I guess.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think Prime is totally worth it for the actual Amazon saving and perks. Assuming you buy stuff semi regularly from Amazon or do a bulk of your Christmas shopping there, I think it pays itself off just in the shipping over the year. Especially once you start splitting the cost between accounts.

But the streaming service is pretty much an inferior Netflix except for the handfull of good Amazon Originals and the HBO shows. If you don't have HBO Go or a subscription that's a nice deal. But on its own I wouldn't buy Amazon Prime solely for the streaming unless those HBO shows really appeal to you.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I buy enough crap off amazon for it to be worth it, although I don't pay for prime. What you save on shipping really is a ton if you use amazon enough, and when it's free you can do silly poo poo like say gently caress it I don't want to go to the store that sells the cat treats Cat likes I'll just get it on amazon.

In tv news, I am watching Agents of SHIELD based on all the claims it got good and so far I don't quite see it but I'm still in the doldrums of mid-season 1.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I don't use Amazon regularly to buy things (maybe twice a year on average) so for me Prime isn't worth it. And for a media streaming service to be worth it for me personally (for the record I want to pay my way when it comes to consuming media that people put blood sweat and tears into producing) it absolutely has to be more user friendly and have more content to offer than the free alternatives, otherwise why on earth would I move from the free alternatives?

The industry really needs to sort its poo poo out in the digital/internet age, and it's slowly doing so, but there's a long way to go. Steam got me to stop pirating games and pay for them en mass to sit on my harddrive unplayed because it provided a relatively cheap, easy, one-stop super-convenient method of obtaining games. Here's hoping the TV/movie industry can somehow work out a solution that does the same for its product.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I buy everything from Amazon. It's way too easy and convenient. I even have my new toothbrush come every 3 months so they basically think for me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cactus posted:

I don't use Amazon regularly to buy things (maybe twice a year on average) so for me Prime isn't worth it. And for a media streaming service to be worth it for me personally (for the record I want to pay my way when it comes to consuming media that people put blood sweat and tears into producing) it absolutely has to be more user friendly and have more content to offer than the free alternatives, otherwise why on earth would I move from the free alternatives?

The industry really needs to sort its poo poo out in the digital/internet age, and it's slowly doing so, but there's a long way to go. Steam got me to stop pirating games and pay for them en mass to sit on my harddrive unplayed because it provided a relatively cheap, easy, one-stop super-convenient method of obtaining games. Here's hoping the TV/movie industry can somehow work out a solution that does the same for its product.

Imagine if Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Bethesda, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc had all sold you an overpriced package deal with no alternative over Steam for 60 years. Why on earth would they stop gouging you? That's what asking for ala carte tv is. Ain't gonna happen.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Cactus posted:

No, you don't. Nobody who uses this excuse actually wants to pay for the media they consume.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm a broke rear end motherfucker who lives at the end of the earth, i have no desire to pay.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

In tv news, I am watching Agents of SHIELD based on all the claims it got good and so far I don't quite see it but I'm still in the doldrums of mid-season 1.

Did you watch Black Mirror yet?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Did you watch Black Mirror yet?

I read a tweet that said it was super depressing and decided to put it off for a bit because the holidays suck enough already. Marvel is junkfood and is definitely not. It's top of my list though, with giving Fargo a chance.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Fargo is pretty good too, but yes Black Mirror is depressing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Prime is worth it since you can basically knock down the price of a year to around 20/30 bucks by selling off your "family member" slots for 2 day shipping. You get the video, they only get the shipping, and everything is firewalled so aside from a name, birthdate and an email, you never have to deal with each other but once a year.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Party Plane Jones posted:

Prime is worth it since you can basically knock down the price of a year to around 20/30 bucks by selling off your "family member" slots for 2 day shipping. You get the video, they only get the shipping, and everything is firewalled so aside from a name, birthdate and an email, you never have to deal with each other but once a year.

Never sell your slot.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

My amazon prime is all real family :unsmith:

My mom wouldn't know the first thing about their streaming though but idk who cares free 2 day shipping I don't pay for. I also get my cable from her via slingbox, my mom owns.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

IRQ posted:

I buy enough crap off amazon for it to be worth it, although I don't pay for prime. What you save on shipping really is a ton if you use amazon enough, and when it's free you can do silly poo poo like say gently caress it I don't want to go to the store that sells the cat treats Cat likes I'll just get it on amazon.

Season 1: boring until episode 12, somewhat decent until the episode after captain America comes out, and pretty good for the rest of the season.

Season 2 has been consistently good and keeps getting better, but Arrow and Flash are still better.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pillowpants posted:

Season 1: boring until episode 12, somewhat decent until the episode after captain America comes out, and pretty good for the rest of the season.

Season 2 has been consistently good and keeps getting better, but Arrow and Flash are still better.

Yeah I'm on ep 14 now. Looking forward to whatever Winter Soldier did to this show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Have you seen Winter Soldier?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Of course.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Pillowpants posted:

somewhat decent until the episode after captain America comes out,

GreenNight posted:

Have you seen Winter Soldier?

Oh, the movie.

I haven't seen the show, so I wasn't quite sure what you meant there.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I'm back, but with genital herpes!

I watched two terrible cartoon network shows during a cruise this week, one was called Uncle Grandpa, the other Clarence. I normally never check this channel out, unfortunately, that was all that was offered on the cruise during late nights. I had wondered what the shows today's children are watching are like and god, these shows were so terrible, I genuinely dread the fate of not only the next generation, but my own generation who created this drivel , whose mental state greatly worries me.

Uncle Grandpa is show about a mentally retarded old man and his companions, an overweight dinosaur and a slick talking slice of pizza. The plot of the episode I watched was actually just a joke stolen from Mitch Hedberg; it was a short joke too, "An escalator can never break, it can only become stairs." And that was the entire 30 minute episode. Uncle Grandpa and his pizza friend couldn't figure out what to do when an escalator broke while they were in the middle. 30 minutes of absolutely nothing happens, and then the plot resolves itself as the obese dinosaur advises them to simply walk down. The show has terrible pacing and it's rather unfunny, I don't understand how anyone approved this show to air. It could only appeal to idiotic children and adults with an extra chromosome.

Clarence is about a young six or eight year old obese child with attention deficit disorder. All he ever does is eat unhealthy, promote eating unhealthy, and get into "mischief". The episode I watched attempted to appeal to adults with themes of "childhood obesity", "plutocracy" and "the dangers of unregulated capitalism" but it completely failed. The writers had no idea what they wanted to do with the plot. The episode began with a McDonalds type restaurant called Rough Riders Chicken which bought the school that Clarence attends. At first, the change seems great as the school gets quite a bit of funding, allowing the libraries to flourish and the children to perform well. But then, the downside is revealed, children are getting fat off the chicken. Also the school has fired the lunch staff and employed students as unpaid interns to create and maintain a rough riders chicken store in the school itself, essentially violating child labor laws. The franchise has so much money that nobody can say anything though, however, the plot goes even deeper. If it had stopped here, it would have been just fine. But no, it went deeper. It turns out the special sauce in the store controls the minds of children, only Clarence remains unaffected for "plot reasons." Clarence tries to delve deeper into the mystery and goes into the school's basement for some reason to find a reenactment of "Eyes Wide Shut." It turns out that the owners of Rough Riders Chicken are Chicken Aliens attempting to mind control children to work in their business, again, I don't understand why sell chicken when they could just drug high ranking officials, or why they're selling chicken at all, when they are chicken aliens. Finally, Clarence calls 911, and a team reminiscent of the Justice League arrives, whose only solution is to blow up the school and kill everyone inside. And the show ends. I don't understand how they were trying to fight obesity, when the main character is really overweight himself.

I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with children's shows these days. Have they always been this bad?

Ravane fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 28, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Those are not children's shows, they are the dumpster fire after hours cartoons that 20something stoners/retarded autists watch funded by adult swim, also known for the most inane and unintersting poo poo such as this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Too_Many_Cooks_%28short%29. They are worse than cancer, as is everything targeted at that demographic, see: Workaholics. Children may find them mildly engaging, but that is only because the target demographic (precision) has the IQ of a goldfish in a tub of bleach.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

Those are not children's shows, they are the dumpster fire after hours cartoons that 20something stoners/retarded autists watch funded by adult swim, also known for the most inane and unintersting poo poo such as this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Too_Many_Cooks_%28short%29. They are worse than cancer, as is everything targeted at that demographic, see: Workaholics. Children may find them mildly engaging, but that is only because the target demographic (precision) has the IQ of a goldfish in a tub of bleach.

Neither of those are Adult Swim shows though? :confused:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Neither of those are Adult Swim shows though? :confused:

Really? He said they were on Cartoon Network? It's the same thing just technically legally distinct which is bullshit.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm watching The Wire in HD and the widescreen looks pretty good. The high def gives it more of a documentary feel IMO, like it's something that's airing this year and not made 12 years ago.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Is The Wire really 12 years old already? I should get around to watching it at some point.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Those cartoons Ravane just posted sound like TVTropes fiction that accidentally got greenlit.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
It says Ravane is probated for six hours. Why is it not six months? He toxxed himself, dammit. I thought toxxing MEANT SOMETHING. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm watching Strike Back "Origins" (which is just the British six ep series). Are the Cinemax produced seasons more serialized? It's kind of, well, episodic and corny right now.

• Locked thread