Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Tarquin and his allies know of Ian's connection to the Greysky City thieves' guild. Bozzok and Crystal may not be acting on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Crystal's dead, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if she just stayed that way. That confrontation in the shower was a pretty climactic moment, she was always pretty one-note, and that note was the "murder each other while hurling gender-charged insults" thing Burlew seems to be making a point of getting away from. (Also, the guild was planning to use Haley's money to pay for the resurrections, and she just ran away with it instead of handing it over.)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Its criminal that there wasn't a "Dun. Dun. Duuuuun."

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
That better be a completely different half-orc here to cause trouble because I like to think with the new book we've moved past all these tired old secondary villains by now and are about to see the real poo poo going down.

Also is that a lesbian joke in panel 6.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That would almost be too subtle I think.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Zoe posted:

Also is that a lesbian joke in panel 6.
No, it is a dildo joke.

ed: well vibrator really. See: Hitachi Magic Wand.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 19, 2014

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Parts Kit posted:

No, it is a dildo joke.

ed: well vibrator really. See: Hitachi Magic Wand.

No, its rules foreshadowing. Burlew is a lot more obvious than that when he's being bawdy.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

sebmojo posted:

No, its rules foreshadowing. Burlew is a lot more obvious than that when he's being bawdy.
I cannot tell if these posts are serious or not anymore.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Would a Cure Moderate wounds wand be more effective when used by Elan? Seems to me you'd want to give it to the person who can't heal otherwise.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

MikeJF posted:

Would a Cure Moderate wounds wand be more effective when used by Elan? Seems to me you'd want to give it to the person who can't heal otherwise.

I think it's not so much a question of it being more effective as it is giving Elan something to fall back on in case he runs out of spells per day, since he's the one who expressed an interest in serving as a back-up healer. Also, rogues need a skill check to successfully use a wand, and going off that panel of her training with V, I'm guessing this isn't a skill she's invested many ranks in up to now.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

MikeJF posted:

In gameplay, I've usually used cure wands to heal between battles. You can buy a stack of 50-charge wands pretty cheaply and heal your party back to full in a few minutes instead of going back to town to rest for a couple days.

You give it to Elan because he can use the wand without any chance of failure because the spell is on his list.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

They could also give the wand to Belkar since Cure Moderate Wounds is on the ranger spell list.

Even after character development I can't imagine him using an action to heal someone instead of stabbing, but they could.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Carrasco posted:

They could also give the wand to Belkar since Cure Moderate Wounds is on the ranger spell list.

Even after character development I can't imagine him using an action to heal someone instead of stabbing, but they could.

He could use it to stab Durkula, and then cast the spell once the wand is lodged in there! And then probably jump off the ship or get ganked by Roy or something.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ponsonby Britt posted:

He could use it to stab Durkula, and then cast the spell once the wand is lodged in there! And then probably jump off the ship or get ganked by Roy or something.

That's a good point; cure is offensive against vampires, isn't it...

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

sebmojo posted:

That's a good point; cure is offensive against vampires, isn't it...

Not in RAW weirdly enough. It's a really common houserule and I think Rich is running with it though.

e: Yeah, Heal got used offensively against Malak.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I don't think Belkar is going to be dropping Durkula with a 2d8+3 (will save for half) spell any time soon though.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

Not in RAW weirdly enough. It's a really common houserule and I think Rich is running with it though.

e: Yeah, Heal got used offensively against Malak.

Yeah it is.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/cureLightWounds.htm

quote:

Since undead are powered by negative energy, this spell deals damage to them instead of curing their wounds. An undead creature can apply spell resistance, and can attempt a Will save to take half damage.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mniot posted:

In gameplay, I've usually used cure wands to heal between battles. You can buy a stack of 50-charge wands pretty cheaply and heal your party back to full in a few minutes instead of going back to town to rest for a couple days.

You give it to Elan because he can use the wand without any chance of failure because the spell is on his list.

Though a good thing to point out for those who don't play D&D but have their RPG experience from MMO's and JRPG's, damage by far outstrips healing in virtually every way in the D&D universe, so no one should expect the party to be invulnerable now.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Though a good thing to point out for those who don't play D&D but have their RPG experience from MMO's and JRPG's, damage by far outstrips healing in virtually every way in the D&D universe, so no one should expect the party to be invulnerable now.

In my experience healing in tabletop RPGs tends to be more for patching yourself up between fights rather than during the fight itself. In D&D the classes capable of healing tend to be better off making things die faster than sitting around healing.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Slime posted:

In my experience healing in tabletop RPGs tends to be more for patching yourself up between fights rather than during the fight itself. In D&D the classes capable of healing tend to be better off making things die faster than sitting around healing.

Exception: status effects. Fixing those is a pretty big deal to making it through a fight.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL
I hate these kinds of derails, but most character deaths are one shot kills, big big evil guy does a huge damage whack in one blow.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
:siren:New comic:siren:

I am mostly surprised by myself how surprised I am, since this is a D&D world after all.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So, I'm taking it this is the arc to be taking care of whatever loose ends remain before the confrontation with Xykon?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
On one hand, way to go Haley.

On the other, Crystal in life was the type of obsessive, spite-filled psychopath that she'd probably be doing this even if she was alive.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So that was Bozzak a page ago. Guess he figured out from what Geoff told him that Tinkertown was a likely stop and got himself and Crystal (and maybe a few more rogues) teleported there to wait in ambush.

The big question now is whether Crystal's undead or if she's some kind of semi-sentient flesh golem that Grubwiggler put together. Given the stitch marks, I'm guessing the latter, but it could go either way.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

jng2058 posted:

The big question now is whether Crystal's undead or if she's some kind of semi-sentient flesh golem that Grubwiggler put together. Given the stitch marks, I'm guessing the latter, but it could go either way.

Sentient seems a given either way given her comment about the boots.

'If Bozzok bothers to raise you' indeed. Guess this was cheaper than a proper rezzing. I almost feel sorry for her.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

jng2058 posted:

So that was Bozzak a page ago. Guess he figured out from what Geoff told him that Tinkertown was a likely stop and got himself and Crystal (and maybe a few more rogues) teleported there to wait in ambush.

Gotta be a flesh golem. That explains the stitches and the megaton punch.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I really hope that Elan picked up enough of his father's plot obsession to tell Bozzak that this isn't the story where the hardened bastard revenges his wrongs, but the story where he's a loose thread to be snipped by the heroes who have evolved past his nonsense.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

jng2058 posted:

Pretty sure that Crystal killed Grubwiggler in the extra strips for book 5, so this probably isn't his work.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Elan clearly has no idea what comic he's in, by the rules of OotS Obscuring Mist will be the one that becomes vital 150 strips later because it was mentioned off-hand and doesn't seem important.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cornwind Evil posted:

I really hope that Elan picked up enough of his father's plot obsession to tell Bozzak that this isn't the story where the hardened bastard revenges his wrongs, but the story where he's a loose thread to be snipped by the heroes who have evolved past his nonsense.

I'm 99% certain that we won't be hearing any meta stuff like that for ages, if ever again. That was Tarquin's deal and he ran it right into the ground.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

sebmojo posted:

I'm 99% certain that we won't be hearing any meta stuff like that for ages, if ever again. That was Tarquin's deal and he ran it right into the ground.

Except it's kind of always been Elan's thing since before Tarquin was introduced. Hell, it happens in this very steep.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Loki_XLII posted:

Except it's kind of always been Elan's thing since before Tarquin was introduced. Hell, it happens in this very steep.

Yeah but Elan's thing is fourth-wall breaking gags, not meta-narrative commentary.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Zoe posted:

Sentient seems a given either way given her comment about the boots.

In OOTS, nonsentient undead can still make short, unoriginal remarks, that seems more likely.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
But those were just parroting what people around them were saying, while in this case it's using a memory from years ago to make a remark that wouldn't be out of place even if she was still alive.

Oh well, nothing to do but wait and see. I'm trying to train my brain not to do speculation anymore, or at least not for a comic that might well go a month without updating. That way lies madness.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I'm not the only one who thinks the narrative here is getting bloated and frankly annoying.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It's probably the slow pace of updates.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Calaveron posted:

So I'm not the only one who thinks the narrative here is getting bloated and frankly annoying.

Making it a perfect simulation of D&D 3.5!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Colonel Cool posted:

It's probably the slow pace of updates.

It's this. Webcomics that actually update regularly can get away with slow periods much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I guess Bozzok really was just caught in the middle of shaving when Geoff gave him a ring and my prediction that he was getting ready to have a chat with some high level assassins was wrong. :smith:

But something doesn't feel quite right, because what, Haley and Belkar alone basically took on the entire thieves guild and won? (And they weren't even always fighting at the same time in the same place.) Now the OOTS is reunited and they bring out.. Crystal. Okay, so she got an upgrade, but I'm still not seeing a grievous threat here.

Maybe if they start attacking with some kind of expensive gnome mechs.