Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Mad Rancher posted:

Yeah, I ended up going with eleven40. Thanks for the tutorial sites, Royal Jeans!

Good. Thats the best one by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

KetTarma posted:

I just bought a few dollars of Facebook advertising for my page. I set it to US only and targeted people that were interested in various engineering topics.

I got 8 likes. When I try to check on those 8 likes, I see that Facebook is saying I got X, Y, and 4 others liked my page on the day that my ad ran. When I try to see who the 4 others are, I only see one person. I checked the profiles of the X and Y and they have 2000+ Liked pages. At this point, I think that money was wasted.

Did I do something wrong?
How can I target the readers that I'm interested in? I don't mind buying a few dollars of ads per month if it helps me get readers but I don't want to waste my money. I've been posting articles every day for weeks but haven't gotten any new organic growth from that.

What's a 'few dollars'? If you haven't figured out targeting yet don't spend any more money. Learn how to create personas, 'jobs to be done' profiles, and how to identify and group cohorts. Use the FB custom audiences to create targeted audiences against each of your personas, 'jobs to be done' profiles, etc. and upload any email lists you already have. Create look-alikes and test those as well.

Don't even look at likes, it's meaningless. You should be tracking conversions using FB pixels if you're in ecommerce or campaign traffic in GA if you were just after visits (using URL tagging).

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

What are people using to auto-post their updates to social media? I'm looking to tidy up my setup as I think I've still got Feedburner reading my RSS feed and pushing that to Twitter, with other social networks picking up that twitter feed. Its clunky and ideally I'm looking for something that will push to G+/Twitter/FB simultaneously.

If theres a plugin that does that, and allows you to edit the social media post on the same page as editing the post in Wordpress, I'd cream my pants.

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

Zero Gravitas posted:

What are people using to auto-post their updates to social media? I'm looking to tidy up my setup as I think I've still got Feedburner reading my RSS feed and pushing that to Twitter, with other social networks picking up that twitter feed. Its clunky and ideally I'm looking for something that will push to G+/Twitter/FB simultaneously.

If theres a plugin that does that, and allows you to edit the social media post on the same page as editing the post in Wordpress, I'd cream my pants.

I hear great things about Hootsuite though I've never used it myself.

As far as plugins go NextScripts (SNAP) has some pretty decent ratings.

You can also go the Feedly, Buffer, and IFTTT route. http://www.wpexplorer.com/automate-social-share-wordpress/

I think the Jetpack plugin has an auto post option as well.

When you say edit the social media post are you talking about rich snippets for each? I know the SEO by yoast plugin has that option for Twitter cards, facebook snippets, and G+ from the edit screen.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Love IFTTT personally - set and forget and because it's on my phone, it lets me know when its backed up a copy of my post on Evernote in case something happens to the site.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

FCKGW posted:

I didn't do as well as last year but it's because I started a bit late and couldn't get ranked high enough for a keyword I wanted. Still did good for about a days worth of real work.

I'll post some numbers after the weekend.

Where you at hombre

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

invision posted:

Where you at hombre

Work and school, I'll get something together tonight hopefully.

Here's adsense though!

Like I said, not as great as last year but can't complain!

I'll go through traffic and skimlinks in a longer post later.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 11, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Alright, for reference here's last year's numbers: $3800 adsense, $780 skimlinks
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447030&userid=97204&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post422552408

For those that don't know or forgot, I have a Black Friday blog that I run that is related to a regional electronics retailer. In fact, I used to work for this retailer many years ago. They had a horrible website, zero marketing and only advertised their black friday deals through the newspaper. I saw an opportunity to take their incompetence and create a website that presented the Black Friday ads in a digital form and break down the listing, prices, and discount from them an their competitors.

I've been running the site in some form or another since 2006 but have really just started pushing it heavily since 2010. I've dropped off most my other blogs since getting a big boy job so this is my main money earner for the year.

All the stats I'm posting are from November 19th to December 3rd which is the bulk of the traffic. This year saw a big drop, about half from last year revenue wise but near the same as 2012.

Traffic for the week before and after thanksgiving:

(Green is page views, Blue is Uniques and Orange is returning)

One thing to notice is that Cyber Monday traffic was huge this year and non existant last year. This is something that can be exploited better next year I think.

Adsense Revenue:

Skimlinks Revenue:

Didn't bother running any CPA offers since single-email submits have dried up.

Reasons for the drop:
  • I think last year might have been a bit of an anomaly. For some reason, Google was actually ranking my site ahead of the company I was writing about. This was bringing in huge traffic that I probably shouldn't have gotten. This year I was around #5-6 for my main keywords, behind the main company, their Facebook and a couple big BF sites.
  • Late start. I didn't start updating the site from it's hibernation unit late October. Because of this most of my rankings were for 2013 keywords and since Google autocompletes "keyword 2014" as the top hit, I lost out. I need to look at what keywords Google is autocompleting in August and start planning the site.
  • New site template that cut a bit more of the "spammy" stuff from the old template out. In an effort to make the site more mobile friendly and render faster, I had to ditch the 4 year old Wordpress template and go with something a bit more modern. I also had to move some of the 3 above the fold ads I had on the old site to below the fold to make this work better on mobile and load times. This lightening of the "in your face" ads I had before definitely made the site feel more polished but dropped revenue a bit.
  • CTR was lower due in part to interest-based ads. I actually turned off interest-based ads halfway through and switched to context only ads and saw my CTR jump. Interest based ads use previous browsing history and cookies to create relevant ads while context based ads simply scan the site content and delivery an ad. Interest-based ads were giving all kinds of unrelated stuff.

Things I liked this year:
  • New template did make things better. Mobile revenue doubled and I only needed the DigitalOcean $20 VPS and a caching plugin to handle the load. Navigation was improved and I think that will help me next year as the site is much more mobile friendly.
  • Skimlinks still rocks. Didn't think I'd make anything slinging $200 Chinese HDTVs from eBay but I ended up selling 9 of them on Cyber Monday and made $57. Not Bad.
  • Bing/Yahoo/Aol traffic is still important. I think about 20-25% of search engine traffic was non-Google but they had a much higher CTR on ads (lol olds)
  • It was still only around 12-16 hours total of writing and coding for the entire site for the year. Add another 2 hours of browsing slickdeals and fat wallet for new deals to promote and it's not a bad gig.

I'll be happy to answer any questions!

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 11, 2014

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Love seeing your updates. I feel as if you got in at the right time. The only real way to automate the process now is to pay others to write content for you all of the time. The days of setting up a blog like that are over I think. But because you got in, got some traction, and keep it going, you're always going to do pretty well. Congrats!

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I recently got a spike in organic traffic to a page with a bunch of random pictures I've gleaned from the web. I can't tell yet what keyword is drawing people to the page. The bounce rate is super high and the time spent on page is very low. I added the page as an after thought, and haven't added any pictures since I started the site. Any advice on how to take advantage of this new traffic? I think it will be hard to improve the bounce rate, because people searching for pictures are not going to want to read my stories. Are there any plugins that are good for pictures, and where I can possibly integrate ads in with the pictures?

grenada fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 15, 2015

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

laxbro posted:

I recently got a spike in organic traffic to a page with a bunch of random pictures I've gleaned from the web. I can't tell yet what keyword is drawing people to the page. The bounce rate is super high and the time spent on page is very low. I added the page as an after thought, and haven't added any pictures since I started the site. Any advice on how to take advantage of this new traffic? I think it will be hard to improve the bounce rate, because people searching for pictures are not going to want to read my stories. Are there any plugins that are good for pictures, and where I can possibly integrate ads in with the pictures? http://creepylittlestories.com/pictures/

Sounds to me like you're ranking in Google Images for something; check the file names on your images and the alt tags you applied. If that's the case, I dunno what to tell you in terms of taking advantage of the traffic.

Bounces count as zero time on page, so a high bounce rate will result in a low average time on page.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Looks like most of your hits are coming from Reddit (r/serialkillers), which would support a high bounce rate. Ads won't perform super well, as Reddit users generally use Adblock.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
Reddit traffic wouldn't be showing up in organic. You're ranking highly for some image searches.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Install another analytics software besides Google, I use statcounter. That will give you raw urls of what your referrers are, usually you can pick up what Google is sending you from that.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Has something terrible happened to my website?
I can load the website just fine, all of the articles load fine...

However, when I try to edit anything, change settings, view stats, pretty much anything that involves that main window... I get this:
(The inspect element tool seems to be saying that div is returning a HTTP 500 internal error)

Edit: Matt from ApisNetworks.com got to my trouble ticket

"Odd interaction between APC and Wordpress. Disabled APC via php_flag apc.cache_by_default off, works OK. Disabled wp-admin caching via APC and this should be fully resolved for here on out."

I have no idea what that means but it had to do with a new PHP update or something. I wish I knew PHP sometimes so I could understand this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 27, 2014

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

KetTarma posted:

I have no idea what that means but it had to do with a new PHP update or something. I wish I knew PHP sometimes so I could understand this.

Do you know how to access your error logs? They should have some more specific information you can look into.

I don't know anything about apisnetworks but maybe these would be helpful: http://kb.apisnetworks.com/web-content/accessing-page-views-and-error-messages/ & http://chrisgilligan.com/wordpress/how-to-configure-apc-cache-on-virtual-servers-with-php-running-under-fcgid/

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
After months of grinding I've finally hit the big time

We Made It

In all seriousness though thanks you guys. I lurk this topic constantly to try and improve.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Big Bob Pataki posted:

We Made It

In all seriousness though thanks you guys. I lurk this topic constantly to try and improve.

What's your site? I'll click an ad for you.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
Don't do that.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

KetTarma posted:

Has something terrible happened to my website?
I can load the website just fine, all of the articles load fine...

However, when I try to edit anything, change settings, view stats, pretty much anything that involves that main window... I get this:
(The inspect element tool seems to be saying that div is returning a HTTP 500 internal error)

Edit: Matt from ApisNetworks.com got to my trouble ticket

"Odd interaction between APC and Wordpress. Disabled APC via php_flag apc.cache_by_default off, works OK. Disabled wp-admin caching via APC and this should be fully resolved for here on out."

What version of WP is this? I can't see anything in that image.

I have a few sites hosted on Apis and they're all fine. I can't imagine it's an issue with PHP but more so something with the newest version of WP?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I got it fixed. I edited my htaccess file with a line of code that my host told me to put in there. He said that there's some bug in PHP that was causing my problem.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Just starting to get back into this after a few years off and a few failed niche sites and I'm wondering if/how I can do all the keyword research using LongTail Pro instead of Market Samurai?

No matter what I do, Market Samurai crashes anytime I open it but I can't figure out how to utilize LTP in it's place.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Big Bob Pataki posted:

We Made It

Keep at it. My Black Friday blog went no where the first year or two.

Google likes aged sites so the longer it's around, as long as content is added, it will rank a little higher an higher.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
My CPC is super low and averageing about 20 cents a click.

I'm guessing that I need to post more, so that google has a better idea of what kind of content my site has? I bought this site through godaddy expired auctions, and the last person who onwed the domain apparently bought a TON of spammy backlinks that have fashion brands as anchor text. My site is ranking 10-15 for some popular horror keywords so maybe google is confused as to what kind of ads to show on my site?

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
Get a new domain. That's almost definitely penalized.

Well, maybe not if you're ranking okay with those. But I'd be really careful about a site that had a bunch of fashion links pointing towards it before. Where does your site come up if you search domain.com?

Pierce and Pierce fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 30, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You don't need to jettison the domain, I think Google webmasters tool will let you kill backlink juice from bad domains if you know where they were posted.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Pierce and Pierce posted:

Get a new domain. That's almost definitely penalized.

Well, maybe not if you're ranking okay with those. But I'd be really careful about a site that had a bunch of fashion links pointing towards it before. Where does your site come up if you search domain.com?

I come up # 1 for my domain and rank #9 for a keyword that gets 18,000 searches a month and shows a CPC of 2.50 on google keyword planner. I'm getting 1,200 uniques/month right now with only 10 articles almost all from organic search. I tried turning off interest based ads for the past couple weeks like FCKGW did but it just made a few lovely fasion ads come up.

FCKGW posted:

You don't need to jettison the domain, I think Google webmasters tool will let you kill backlink juice from bad domains if you know where they were posted.

Yea the anchor text for the top 15 links in webmaster tools shows tory burch, url to a dead page from previous owner, or random chinese characters. Ugh looks like such a mess on moz's backlink checker. Tons of chinese lettering and super obscure chinese/indian blogs. Will look up how to delete these, thanks!

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

laxbro posted:

I come up # 1 for my domain and rank #9 for a keyword that gets 18,000 searches a month and shows a CPC of 2.50 on google keyword planner. I'm getting 1,200 uniques/month right now with only 10 articles almost all from organic search. I tried turning off interest based ads for the past couple weeks like FCKGW did but it just made a few lovely fasion ads come up.

Yea the anchor text for the top 15 links in webmaster tools shows tory burch, url to a dead page from previous owner, or random chinese characters. Ugh looks like such a mess on moz's backlink checker. Tons of chinese lettering and super obscure chinese/indian blogs. Will look up how to delete these, thanks!

You delete them using the disavow tool in GWT. You can disavow entire domains so hopefully your links are congregated in just a handful of them, then it will just be a simple matter of putting them into a text file and uploading it to GWT. There should be some step-by-steps online.

As for the ads, yeah it will take some time for Google to learn your site. Especially with circumstances like that. My only adsense site was a fresh domain which contains a word which made Google think it was about electrical services (which couldn't be further from the truth). You know that you can block domains and also ad categories, right?

Add the Adsense publisher extension to your browser, then whenever you go to your site and see an ad from something irrelevant mouse over it and it will tell you the destination domain. Then just go in and block it in Adsense. It seemed like for me even when I blocked entire categories I needed to do a dozen or so sites as well before Google got the idea.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Pierce and Pierce posted:

You delete them using the disavow tool in GWT. You can disavow entire domains so hopefully your links are congregated in just a handful of them, then it will just be a simple matter of putting them into a text file and uploading it to GWT. There should be some step-by-steps online.

Cool, I went ahead and did that. I blocked about 15 of the worst domains, but there are a bunch others that are pretty bad so I will probably have to go through and add them later. Almost 26,000 backlinks to my site. Probably 24 or 25,000 of them are spammy backlinks from Asian countries. Saved a few legitimate backlinks from the previous owner and axed everythign else from before I took over the domain. Could be just me, but it seems like adsense is already showing better ads.

Completely separate question: While I was in webmaster tools I saw that there was a manual action on my website saying that I had been hacked. It says: "Some pages on this site may have been hacked by a third party to display spammy content or links. You should take immediate action to clean your site and fix any security vulnerabilities." I went through my site and couldn't find any changes to content or links. It also seems like google didn't punish my site at all since there are no alerts in search results or from chrome for a spammy website. They also definitely didn't blacklist the site or punish my page rank because my organic search growth has been climbing steadily for the past few weeks. Maybe I added a bad plugin? Is it possible they got it wrong?

In any case, I went ahead and restored my website to an earlier version, changed my password and added a malware scanner. I requested that google remove the manual action so we'll see what they say.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

laxbro posted:

Completely separate question: While I was in webmaster tools I saw that there was a manual action on my website saying that I had been hacked. It says: "Some pages on this site may have been hacked by a third party to display spammy content or links. You should take immediate action to clean your site and fix any security vulnerabilities." I went through my site and couldn't find any changes to content or links. It also seems like google didn't punish my site at all since there are no alerts in search results or from chrome for a spammy website. They also definitely didn't blacklist the site or punish my page rank because my organic search growth has been climbing steadily for the past few weeks. Maybe I added a bad plugin? Is it possible they got it wrong?

It sounds like your site was at point, or at least showed signs of, hosting SAPE links. It's basically a network of sites exploited by Russian hackers that people can buy links from.

Check your site on archive.org and screenshots.com

I think there should be a link to file a reconsideration request. If you're sure your site is clean, go ahead and file it and explain that you just purchased it and have cleaned up the site and any existing penalty should be lifted. Although it doesn't sound like you're under one, so it may have been placed manually then removed when the bots detected the links were gone.

Pierce and Pierce fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 31, 2014

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012
This might be a tough question to answer because there's probably not one exact answer:

I'm ranking well for a couple keywords ( 4 are #1 on google and I've got a few more in the top 10). How often do you need to update your articles to keep them ranking well? I've noticed if I let them sit for a month or so they lose rank. I know the algorithm supposedly takes into account social shares etc, and some other factors that make them bounce around but it's weird to rank really well and then go down 8 ranks when it looks like the others aren't updating theirs.

Perhaps it has more to do with the fact that my site is only about 6 months old and the others are more established. I was just wondering if this constant upkeep of blog posts with new updates is something you have to do to rank in the top 10 of any given keyword.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I know it used to be a thing where a new site would yoyo in google slightly. Start low, shoot up, drop down then steadily rise again.

If thats still a thing it could be what you are experiencing.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Alfalfa posted:

Just starting to get back into this after a few years off and a few failed niche sites and I'm wondering if/how I can do all the keyword research using LongTail Pro instead of Market Samurai?

No matter what I do, Market Samurai crashes anytime I open it but I can't figure out how to utilize LTP in it's place.

I really think there's nothing to be gained from spending so much time searching keywords. Are you trying to make a quick buck or are you trying to gain extra income?

What niche? Fitness I assume?

If it is, you're a loving atomic bomb of knowledge. Write write write and just post all of the time. Guest blogs, your blog, youtube videos, Instagram, etc. Eventually you'll get a huge following and you'll be able to get some sponsors and advertisements that really pay. Not to mention stuff like sponsored posts on Instagram and so on.

Long gone are the days of finding a few niche keywords and tossing something online and getting wealthy. It takes a big commitment. A lot of writing, and a ton of effort put in.

Or just slowly build a mediocre PBN and in a few years you'll rank pretty decently.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Moniker posted:

I really think there's nothing to be gained from spending so much time searching keywords. Are you trying to make a quick buck or are you trying to gain extra income?

What niche? Fitness I assume?

If it is, you're a loving atomic bomb of knowledge. Write write write and just post all of the time. Guest blogs, your blog, youtube videos, Instagram, etc. Eventually you'll get a huge following and you'll be able to get some sponsors and advertisements that really pay. Not to mention stuff like sponsored posts on Instagram and so on.

Long gone are the days of finding a few niche keywords and tossing something online and getting wealthy. It takes a big commitment. A lot of writing, and a ton of effort put in.

Or just slowly build a mediocre PBN and in a few years you'll rank pretty decently.

Thanks for the feedback and essentially in trying to do both and gain some extra income. I want to niche down my fitness stuff so I can really maximize return.

In the past I've tried just general knowledge for fitness and end up all over the place and too broad, so I think nicheing it down would really be beneficial.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

God I miss the days when I could setup a blog with some greyhat auto blogging software and seed content for a month and just rank #1 instantly

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Alfalfa posted:

Thanks for the feedback and essentially in trying to do both and gain some extra income. I want to niche down my fitness stuff so I can really maximize return.

In the past I've tried just general knowledge for fitness and end up all over the place and too broad, so I think nicheing it down would really be beneficial.

Pick a purpose for your site. I hesitate to say blog because I see the future as being well rounded and focused authority sites rather than ultra niche blogs.

Remember you can do more than one over the rest of your life so dont worry about being too narrow. But also leave room for expansion. A good test might be can you jot down about 100 or so article titles quite quickly and can you find about the same by other people to talk about. If you can keep flying after 100 your either sperging out or have picked something thats probably too wide.

Create a person in your head. This is the target of your site. Who is he? What does he want? What problems of his can you solve? How old is he? What does he spend money on? What are his hobbies? How does he speak? Focus on this fictional person (but still realistic) and aim everything at him.

Answer the question, how am I going to make money from this fictional person. What am I going to give/sell to him that he will pay me for. Answer it early.

This is all my own opinion of course and ymmv.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
So my blog is a short story blog. I'll write and post my stories to my blog and then post them around different social short story sites like reddit, wikia, tumblr etc. I copy and paste the full stories, and then leave a link back to my blog at the bottom. I get a big surge in traffic from reddit (which basically goes back to 0 after a couple weeks) and a small trickle from most of the other sites.

Will google view my blog as having duplicate content? Reddit, wikias, and tumblr all have way more authority than my site. I feel like it is a good way to build backlinks, but now I'm wondering if google might think that I am stealing the stories from the websites I'm posting them at.

edit: In any case I'm going to go back and edit the stories I posted to reddit that no longer send any visitors my way. Will cut out large chunks of the story so that it isn't an exact copy.

grenada fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 2, 2015

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Alfalfa posted:

Fitness is tough because it is such a competitive niche.

I remember you traveling to different gyms. You own your own gym still? Those are both interesting (although not very extendable options - especially the former with a family).

You seriously have endless knowledge and the bad part is, fitness really comes down to "eat clean and workout" but no one wants to hear that. Look at Mike Dolce. Everyone talks about him like he's a wizard but he's not doing anything magical. Anyway, I see your point. You want to find a niche in order to really be beneficial.

One thing I've found that works for me is to pick specific cities and target them. Even if it is not yours. Ranking locally is a lot easier than ranking nationally or world wide.

Other than that, selling services is another great way of making money. You've done the online coaching thing and you've made a killing doing that. I'd assume that you could sell your services. Look into creating a nice clean back end and offering something more than spread sheets through e-mail (if you still do that).

In my opinion, there's way too much work involved in blogging nowadays. The blog should be secondary to the product. Whether you're selling a product or a service there should still be a purpose that people are on the site other than "what's Alfalfa have to say?"

Think about Uber. They don't even do anything. They connect people to a service and make a poo poo ton of money. Is there a way you can be the Uber of the fitness world?

I guess this post doesn't help much so sorry for just blabbing. But imo, it's all about a product or service with the blog being secondary. Unless you've got a great way to promote the blog.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I'm seriously considering putting together one of those clickbait far-right-wing news sites. If FB is any indication, those guys are killing it on popups and other annoying as poo poo ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

invision posted:

I'm seriously considering putting together one of those clickbait far-right-wing news sites. If FB is any indication, those guys are killing it on popups and other annoying as poo poo ads.

Heh, I considered doing it too. It's on my list of sites to create. I'd just use a content scraper and auto-blogger. Then I'd tie it into the FB API so that every new blog post is a new FB post. Steal my idea if you want.

• Locked thread