Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The creation suite is actually pretty important to me, as I care very little about actual wrestlers beyond maybe five or six and make my own dudes. CPU balance in 2K14, while not perfect, is the best it's been in some years. I would actually legit call it the best WWE game since Here Comes The Pain.

The WWE games usually average 8/10 every year and this year 2K15 got ravaged by reviewers. It looks like a stripped-down shitfest where only the character models improved and everything else stayed the same or atrophied, as is often the case with this series.

That and everyone is waiting for a PC version down the line (which will probably never arrive) so they can just finally mod it to the nines and maybe even fix some of the poo poo that's always been wrong with these games instead of waiting for the development team to get a clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

New gen versions are indeed severely curtailed in flexibility, but on the last-gen versions, 2k15 is more or less indistinguishable from 2k14 (if the move pack DLC for 2k14 was appealing to you, for example, it's included in base 2k15). While some of the ancillary creation suite features might have been cut or scaled back, creation of the actual CAW is the same that it's been for several years so there shouldn't be problems (Create-a-Finisher would be a pretty major dealbreaker if created finishers weren't already nerfed into uselessness) and the 100-slot CAW bank is still in effect.

I played it a bit on X360 and was at least able to fill out the IRL NXT roster within the first week or two of release. No telling how far that goes, though. It's reasonable to suspect that the CAW community might have largely passed on last-gen 2k15 for any number of reasons. No small number of early custom logos were gently caress 2K signs

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 28, 2014

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You can't make female wrestlers in new-gen 2k15 and you're limited to 25 CAWs with a weird limit on how many you can download in a day. Old-gen 2k15 is not different in enough ways from 2k14 to justify picking it up.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It is in my estimation, based solely on the stability improvements. 2k14 was literally an unplayable mess, 2k15 is pretty smooth. Anything is preferable to a game that requires you to hard reset your console on the regular

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

why did people start saying new gen i still dont understand

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There are two version of 2k15, one of which is on the "new generation" of game consoles (the PS4 and Xbox One). The new systems they created and visuals they rendered for 2k15 were made for this newer hardware, which is much much more powerful than the "last-gen" console systems (the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3). The last-gen systems received a 2k15 that looks and plays just like 2k14, because those systems couldn't handle the improvements (if you could call them that) that they made for the newer tech.

However much of the content cutting they did on new-gen 2k15 to make room for the shiny new tech was also visited on the old-gen tech. So you have a pretty small roster on last-gen 2k15 (though a 4x higher CAW limit and much more robust character creation tools) and some ancillary creation tools are cut as well.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 28, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah but "new gen" is like a weird replacement for next gen that came out of nowhere. also they've been out for a year now, they're the current gen consoles. at what point do they stop being new gen

for the record i know how console generations work, i play video games, i don't need the concept explain to me. i'm just arguing semantics because i hate change

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

"new gen" and "next gen" are literally interchangable, who cares? And poo poo starts becoming "current gen" more or less around the time when 360 and PS3 versions of big blockbuster games stop being made.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

what's your favorite gen of pokemon? i'm fond of gen 2, i tend to think gen 1 is very overrated

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cardboard Box posted:

why did people start saying new gen i still dont understand

People got super pedantic about 'next gen' not actually meaning next gen because "the consoles are currently out!!" and I felt it was an easy replacement term that didn't really matter

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i guess i get it, it still sounds weird to me

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

27/190 toward the last sting,16 hours to go. There should be time but it's going to be close.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

It is in my estimation, based solely on the stability improvements. 2k14 was literally an unplayable mess, 2k15 is pretty smooth. Anything is preferable to a game that requires you to hard reset your console on the regular

2K14 does seem to have some weird issues revolving around reading memory off the console. If I don't pick my guy first when another person is over playing, the game hard locks.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
Got my Rowan. Tried six 1-point matches towards red Survivor Sting, and won three of them. Yeah, this is about as far as I'm going to go.

The bottom half of my team is basically dead weight at this point--too many maxed solo Epics and untrained solo Legendaries. Plus, none of my Legend Pros are maxed...so really, it's kind of lucky that I made it as far as I did.

On the bright side, I got a lot of cards, which meant a lot of training...and I just pulled my second-ever Epic card from the table.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DoctorDelaware posted:

Got my Rowan. Tried six 1-point matches towards red Survivor Sting, and won three of them. Yeah, this is about as far as I'm going to go.

The bottom half of my team is basically dead weight at this point--too many maxed solo Epics and untrained solo Legendaries. Plus, none of my Legend Pros are maxed...so really, it's kind of lucky that I made it as far as I did.

On the bright side, I got a lot of cards, which meant a lot of training...and I just pulled my second-ever Epic card from the table.

This is the deck that I'm winning five point matches with going for Survivor Sting (currently have 80 points), sans Batista and plus unleveled Legendary Rowan (also my top four cards are higher leveled as I have just been working on maxing them with my card draws).

Sounds like it might be worse than your deck? Have you tried three and five point matches or did you just default to one pointers. With the size of the decks it wouldn't shock me if whatever formula they use to decide deck strength for your opponents is wonky.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

This is the deck that I'm winning five point matches with going for Survivor Sting (currently have 80 points), sans Batista and plus unleveled Legendary Rowan (also my top four cards are higher leveled as I have just been working on maxing them with my card draws).

Sounds like it might be worse than your deck? Have you tried three and five point matches or did you just default to one pointers. With the size of the decks it wouldn't shock me if whatever formula they use to decide deck strength for your opponents is wonky.

I did run some five-points for a while, and had much better luck. Then I stopped, and shifted down to three, which seems to be going all right at the moment.

And yeah, my deck is a lot better than that. This game is weird.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

DoctorDelaware posted:

I did run some five-points for a while, and had much better luck. Then I stopped, and shifted down to three, which seems to be going all right at the moment.

And yeah, my deck is a lot better than that. This game is weird.

This is the type of card setup you need to win the top level stings ..

I'm honestly not joking

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

VoLaTiLe posted:

This is the type of card setup you need to win the top level stings ..

I'm honestly not joking

This makes absolute sense to me, actually. Why uncommons instead of commons though?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah but "new gen" is like a weird replacement for next gen that came out of nowhere. also they've been out for a year now, they're the current gen consoles. at what point do they stop being new gen

for the record i know how console generations work, i play video games, i don't need the concept explain to me. i'm just arguing semantics because i hate change

It's the New Generation because HBK and Diesel are here.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
I enjoyed Road to Glory a lot more than I ever did People's Champion. the three Stings will make a very nice addition to my deck.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

This makes absolute sense to me, actually. Why uncommons instead of commons though?

Of course it is. Welp, time to redo my deck with my shittiest cards, and see how close I can get. Just need another 108 points for red Survivor Sting...

EDIT: Well spotted, IcePhoenix. Yeah, it probably won't work for me since I don't have manager cards (can't seem to draw the drat things past, like, Rare.) But putting in my best cards wasn't working either, so what the hell.

DoctorDelaware fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 28, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DoctorDelaware posted:

Of course it is. Welp, time to redo my deck with my shittiest cards, and see how close I can get. Just need another 108 points for red Survivor Sting...

The key to that deck is the managers, you won't be able to do it without them, I'd think.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Yeah managers are the most abusable card in RtG and making them as big a part of your deck as possible makes a lot of sense. You skip out on the board reward card potential but at this point those last few wins are the most important. I'm now 9 points from my 2nd blue sting, so think I'm home free. This has certainly been the most rewarding event so far, all of the PCCs are straight up impossible for me to get anything higher than top 20,000 on.

The whole incentivising you to not sleep thing is a little worrying if they decide to make things harder in future, but next time I might just use the low level method and make it much quicker

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I could have gotten enough points playing free to get my second blue Sting, but I ended up spending $2 to finish it off now (to make sure I didn't forget to log in or something). Best value I've ever gotten out of a FTP.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ever since I was a little kid I was always very anti "cheesing" and I've carried that over to today. So I can't bring myself to do that trick everyone seems to do where they tank their deck for easy wins. Its just principle, man.

I played Supercard yesterday for the first time in a week or so and I enjoyed the RTG. I joined in too late to get anything of actual value. I thought I might get the SR Yoko but the competition got way harder and I'm not interested enough in that card to obsess over it every hour. But its a cool game mode that seems like you can actually move up it by just playing without necessarily having to devote your life to the game. Then again I have no idea how many days the RTG went but if it was like 3 that seems like enough time to get a SR/UR/Epic card without losing sleep or taking away from life. Way more doable than the KotR that demands you stay on for 9 hours of playoffs.

Between the PC and the RTG there seem to be actual ways to pick up valuable cards without going crazy so I might keep playing after all. And the RTG is cool because it gives you a reason to care about more than a few cards from your deck. Even Divas. Suddenly I have a reason to train my lower level pros who were just sitting there doing nothing.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

And 2nd blue sting is mine. :toot:

Now to hold off on pro-ing it because it's probably better to have 2 'better than pro legendary' cards than 1.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

STAC Goat posted:

Ever since I was a little kid I was always very anti "cheesing" and I've carried that over to today. So I can't bring myself to do that trick everyone seems to do where they tank their deck for easy wins. Its just principle, man.

I played Supercard yesterday for the first time in a week or so and I enjoyed the RTG. I joined in too late to get anything of actual value. I thought I might get the SR Yoko but the competition got way harder and I'm not interested enough in that card to obsess over it every hour.

I'm pretty much stuck in EPIC Kotr matches due to really tough people in legendary, personally I think they really screwed with progression through KOTR when they changed things around.

As for RTG I agree its actually an event I can play and get a decent card in. I managed to get a legendard Rowan despite playing it fairly casually. I could have probably got the Red Sting if I was not occupied over Xmas with family and work.

The Peoples Champion events really suck in my opinion I really do not have the dedication, drive or actual time to compete with the sperglords who actually place in the top spots for the decent cards.

And yea the trick to cheesing it is all in the manager cards its a shame I don't really have any at the moment else I would have cheated like a little cheating bastard like everyone else

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

VoLaTiLe posted:

I'm pretty much stuck in EPIC Kotr matches due to really tough people in legendary, personally I think they really screwed with progression through KOTR when they changed things around.

As for RTG I agree its actually an event I can play and get a decent card in. I managed to get a legendard Rowan despite playing it fairly casually. I could have probably got the Red Sting if I was not occupied over Xmas with family and work.

The Peoples Champion events really suck in my opinion I really do not have the dedication, drive or actual time to compete with the sperglords who actually place in the top spots for the decent cards.

And yea the trick to cheesing it is all in the manager cards its a shame I don't really have any at the moment else I would have cheated like a little cheating bastard like everyone else

Yeah. I started playing right before the change in KotR. I think my first KotR I got my first couple of SR cards from and it seemed great. Seemed like a good way to reward moderate success with moderate moves up the ladder. But ever since the change I'm stuck at my level. If I'm too busy to pay attention and don't make the playoffs I get useless Uncommon cards. If I pay enough attention to make the playoffs but not win I just get a couple of Rares that don't actually help me. I have to win to make any progress and even then it keeps me on the SR tier I'm on.

The one PCs I played I scored an UR pair in so I think that's ok. I'm sure there's probably a plateau I'll eventually hit when I rise up but for now those events give me some forward progress, more than I got from the KotR.

But yeah, the RTG seems like something I can actually play and succeed in getting some useful cards. I came in too late because of my disinterest in the game and the holidays but I rose three levels in a couple of hours. If I had a few days and played well I imagine I could net an UR, Epic, or even Legendary card. So I look forward to the next one I can get in on the ground floor.

And yeah, I can't really cheat even if I want to. I only have 1 UR Lana that is really all that effective as a manager card. Nothing else I have makes much impact.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I replaced my four worst cards with commons, and I won five of my next six matches. Wish I'd tried this earlier in the day; I'm still 58 points away from Red Sting.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
I can't believe people still play that dumbass card game

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flatluigi posted:

People got super pedantic about 'next gen' not actually meaning next gen because "the consoles are currently out!!" and I felt it was an easy replacement term that didn't really matter

"Current gen" and "last gen" are the proper way to refer to them.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Monkeycheese posted:

I can't believe people still play that dumbass card game

I can't believe you post with that username.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

TheJoker138 posted:

"Current gen" and "last gen" are the proper way to refer to them.

Which one is the Wii U?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Which one is the Wii U?

Both, and neither. The Wii U is zen as a mother fucker.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man, played some 2K14 this weekend and it still baffles me how loving bad the 2k15 game is. I mean, that loving wrestling "creator," holy poo poo. How does a PS4 game have like 80% less options than the PS3 one while making grappling even worse? Like, the best part of 2k14 was all the freaks you could make, all the stupid poo poo you could download and paste to their face and shirt and then put their music as Kiss From A Rose. You can't do any of that poo poo in the new game.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

To be fair, the custom music part isn't something they could have fixed, as neither of the new consoles allows you to rip music onto them anymore.

Everything else is completely, 100% their fault, though.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I got 2K15 for Christmas because I like wrestling and I like games. Excited to play it despite the negative reviews thus far. '13 was really fun and looked like poo poo, so maybe it'll be worth it to have a game that looks good but plays like (maybe) poo poo? I dunno. I don't expect much out of these games, I'm just excited to have a new game to play especially considering I didn't play '14 at all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm getting a used PS3 sometime this week. What's the general consensus on whether to buy a 2K14 or 2K15? I thought I read that the last gen 2K15 games don't have the CAW/no females caps or do I need to go 2K14 for that?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

last gen 2k14 is the superior (and far cheaper) game in terms of content and game modes, unless you are devoted to playing the rivalry modes/desperately need official updated rosters and don't want to use CAWs to fill in current attires etc. A lot of the create-a-story/belt/finisher customization was torn out to ensure that the current gen versions didn't have fewer features than the last gen versions of 2k15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Buy WWE All Stars instead for your PS3. It is the best WWE game.