Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

BigRed0427 posted:

Well, I bit the bullet and got my Wii U today. I bought the set from Target that includes Mario 3D World and Nintendo World. I also got Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2.

Mario 3D is ok. I played the first couple of stages. To me the best Mario games are the ones that have an element of exploration to them. Where you could find something in a level that leads to a whole slew of other places to go (Super Mario World, 64, Galaxy to an extent) I don't know how long I can stick with it if it's just Point A to point B. Hyrule Warriors was AMAZING! I can already tell you I am dumping hours into this. Are any of the other Dynasty Warrior games worth picking up? I haven't tried Bayonetta or Nintendo Land yet.

I also got a Link figure. Kind of wish they picked a pose that didn't require that clear piece to be there to keep him up.

Edit: Also, gently caress the dude at Target that sold it to me. He tried to tell me I needed to buy a Wii-mote for it because it doesn't come with one and the games are unplayable with the tablet. Mario 3D and Warriors worked just loving fine with the tablet.

It's crazy because like 100% of games work with the tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: Also, gently caress the dude at Target that sold it to me. He tried to tell me I needed to buy a Wii-mote for it because it doesn't come with one and the games are unplayable with the tablet. Mario 3D and Warriors worked just loving fine with the tablet.

I can't imagine a situation where I would choose to play with a wii mote and the gamepad is excellent. Has nintendo ever made a version of the wii mote that you can charge without batteries or third party devices? That's always been the biggest downside of the wii mote to me.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

13/f/cali posted:

I can't imagine a situation where I would choose to play with a wii mote and the gamepad is excellent. Has nintendo ever made a version of the wii mote that you can charge without batteries or third party devices? That's always been the biggest downside of the wii mote to me.

Nintendo made an official rechargeable battery and charger for the Wii Remote, but it's a bit pricy. $40 at the US online Nintendo store, and $50 to import it from Play-Asia. It only comes in black.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Energizer-Panel-Induction-Charger-Nintendo/dp/B0027IS82K

I use this and it rules.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The PS2 singlehandedly kept 3d platformers alive with Sly Cooper, Jax, and Ratchet and Clank. They're not all amazing games (the first ratchet and clank suffers from terrible controls), but that's NINE really drat good platformers.

I think its drat near impossible to try and compare game consoles across generations:

Hardly anything from the nintendo 64 era holds up, at all. But try and play any PS1 game and you'll run into similarly terrible problems.

So far, the Wii U hasn't just delivered the annual entries in longrunning franchises - there's a good argument to be made that they're the best entries in the franchise. Smash Wii U might actually be better than Melee, Mario Kart 8 is the best console entry, etc etc.

I mean, good lord - Smash and Mario kart and bayonetta 2 and tropical freeze and captain toad? In 12 months?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I think you need a wiimote for some of the minigames in Nintendoland. Nintendo's online store sells refurb wiimote plus with a nunchuck for $25 though, which is a good price.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BigRed0427 posted:

I also got a Link figure. Kind of wish they picked a pose that didn't require that clear piece to be there to keep him up.

They matched the amiibo poses to the Smash Bros roster art renders. This is a pretty telling decision, because there's no way all those "needs massive supports" poses would have been approved if that had been the intention all along.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah, seriously. I mean look at this secret character's art, he's going to need quite a bit of support the way he was rendered. Spoiled just in case.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am ashamed of myself for leaving Mario Kart 8 on the shelf while I LPed bad games, it's freaking fantastic. My 6 and 10 year old cousins were very excited that there were more babies too.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
So now that I finally have a pro controller and it's battery of eternity, I was wondering... Is it really necessary to only charge it from the Wii U? I see Nintendo recommends not using a PC or any other device. My Wii U is pretty close to where I sit, so it's kind of annoying to charge and play at the same time.

Also drat. I put a few hours into Bayo 1 before making the switch from gamepad to pro controller. The slightly different hand positioning is taking a little getting used to, as I keep hitting the pad as though it were rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh geez, I wonder how many other clerks spread absurd misinformation like this. Not quite every bit of every game supports the tablet (I think you need a Wiimote+ for the on-foot Metroid Blast content, and you'll often need plenty of Wii remotes for multiplayer), but if you're just one dude who wants to play his brand new Wii U, the chance that you'll need a Wii remote for anything you play is extremely slim.

MaxDuo posted:

So now that I finally have a pro controller and it's battery of eternity, I was wondering... Is it really necessary to only charge it from the Wii U? I see Nintendo recommends not using a PC or any other device. My Wii U is pretty close to where I sit, so it's kind of annoying to charge and play at the same time.
I believe I've heard people say they've had no issue charging their pro controller with a computer or one of those wall sockets for a phone, but I could be misremembering. I'm not entirely sure why Nintendo would recommend otherwise, honestly.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ultigonio posted:

I believe I've heard people say they've had no issue charging their pro controller with a computer or one of those wall sockets for a phone, but I could be misremembering. I'm not entirely sure why Nintendo would recommend otherwise, honestly.

My initial charges for all my pro controllers were off my PC. Nintendo is probably just playing it safe by officially only recommending charging off your console, so they don't get threatened with a lawsuit when someone uses some shoddy dollar store wall charger and blows up the battery or something. They can just point to the documentation and say "hey, yeah, we told them not to do it"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BigRed0427 posted:

Well, I bit the bullet and got my Wii U today. I bought the set from Target that includes Mario 3D World and Nintendo World. I also got Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2.

Mario 3D is ok. I played the first couple of stages. To me the best Mario games are the ones that have an element of exploration to them. Where you could find something in a level that leads to a whole slew of other places to go (Super Mario World, 64, Galaxy to an extent) I don't know how long I can stick with it if it's just Point A to point B. Hyrule Warriors was AMAZING! I can already tell you I am dumping hours into this. Are any of the other Dynasty Warrior games worth picking up? I haven't tried Bayonetta or Nintendo Land yet.

I haven't played any other DW game but be sure to get the season pass for Hyrule Warriors. It's insane how much content it's added and only two of the four packs are out now.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The battery in the Pro controller is practically eternal anyway.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i love how bright and sunny wind waker is. it's like a tropical zelda vacation

i want to know how the boat picked me up in the middle of the ocean and brought me to this island with no sail though. you're telling me you need one but you're lying to me boat!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Awesome! posted:

i love how bright and sunny wind waker is. it's like a tropical zelda vacation

i want to know how the boat picked me up in the middle of the ocean and brought me to this island with no sail though. you're telling me you need one but you're lying to me boat!

Link was unconscious. The spirit in the King of Red Lions was just holding R for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I vaguely remember the Wii balance board being updated somewhat, but I can't find any info on that actually happening. Am I misremembering or has the balance board just been the same thing over the years? Also, is there a black one? Where can I buy a black one.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just wanted to chime in that another Wii-Mote game would be Pikmin 3 which is one of the best games.

I mean you CAN use the gamepad but it's not as good...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

noirstronaut posted:

I vaguely remember the Wii balance board being updated somewhat, but I can't find any info on that actually happening. Am I misremembering or has the balance board just been the same thing over the years? Also, is there a black one? Where can I buy a black one.

The Balance Board itself it still the same hardware. There's been 3 different iterations of Wii Fit though.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I always have, and always will, prefer the Gamepad for Pikmin 3.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Yeah that guy doesn't know what he's talking about--the tablet is a great controller.

If I was going to get extra controllers I would get the pro controllers not wii motes (although I have like 4 wiimotes, 2 pro controllers and some random stuff since I also had the original wii.)

There are some other good Mario games for Wii U, and the wii Mario Galaxy games are amazing if you've never played them. I'm sure you could pick those games up cheap. Get mario kart.

ascii genitals fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 28, 2014

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just wanted to chime in that another Wii-Mote game would be Pikmin 3 which is one of the best games.

Stylus controls reign supreme

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Looper posted:

Stylus controls reign supreme

How so? Last I played the only way to retreat/throw pikmin at the same time was with the Wii-Mote/Nunchuck and that's super super useful and quick as hell.

Also unrelated but got to the last bit of Captain Toad (well the end of book 3 anyway) and noticed some horrible HORRIBLE screen tearing on the gamepad during the Golden Realm level and a few after it. The audio would get kinda crackly and the screen would split horizontally across the middle, top half struggling to animate properly and bottom half being a still image. It would go away after a second but still.

Does the gamepad do that if it's having trouble connecting to the console? I'm only about a foot or two away at most but I'm hoping it's some bizarre glitch and nothing serious.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How so? Last I played the only way to retreat/throw pikmin at the same time was with the Wii-Mote/Nunchuck and that's super super useful and quick as hell.

Also unrelated but got to the last bit of Captain Toad (well the end of book 3 anyway) and noticed some horrible HORRIBLE screen tearing on the gamepad during the Golden Realm level and a few after it. The audio would get kinda crackly and the screen would split horizontally across the middle, top half struggling to animate properly and bottom half being a still image. It would go away after a second but still.

Does the gamepad do that if it's having trouble connecting to the console? I'm only about a foot or two away at most but I'm hoping it's some bizarre glitch and nothing serious.

That's exactly your problem. It happened to me when I tried to take the gamepad with me to the kitchen.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BigRed0427 posted:

Haha yeah that guy swindled the gently caress out of you. On the other hand, why would you ever think a console would not come with everything you need to play games on it?

raditts fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 28, 2014

night slime
May 14, 2014

raditts posted:

Haha yeah that guy swindled the gently caress out of you. On the other hand, why would you ever think a console would not come with everything you need to play games on it?

He was probably confused and meant it about Wii mode, which makes more sense.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

MaxDuo posted:

Is it really necessary to only charge it from the Wii U? I see Nintendo recommends not using a PC or any other device.

I've only ever charged it with the usb wall adapter for my android devices and haven't had any issues. Works like a champ.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I can think of literally one Wii U game that you can't play using the gamepad at all and that's virtual console Duck Hunt, for the obvious reason of "how would that work?"

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

13/f/cali posted:

I can think of literally one Wii U game that you can't play using the gamepad at all and that's virtual console Duck Hunt, for the obvious reason of "how would that work?"
Actually you could still theoretically play it assuming the Gamepad's IR bars remain active while emulating NES games.

Of course you'd still need a Wiimote to actually shoot anything.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I sort of meant that's the only Wii U game I can think of where you can't use just the gamepad to control it (aside from random Nintendo Land minigames and such).

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

13/f/cali posted:

Tap the screen to shoot ducks, activate easy mode

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Looper posted:

Or how about this: The player on the TV uses the Wiimote and does the shooting. The player on the gamepad uses the stylus and drags the duck around. If the shooter misses than you can blow into the mic to make the dog laugh.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Looper posted:

Duck Hunt: Easy Mode is pointing your Zapper at an artificial light source.

KillGizmo
Jul 11, 2001

Run you little bastard! Run!
Wife bought me Donkey Kong for Christmas. drat this is a beautiful game. Soundtrack is fantastic. I'm sure it's been said a million times. OK I'll shut up now

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Lagomorphic posted:

I think you need a wiimote for some of the minigames in Nintendoland. Nintendo's online store sells refurb wiimote plus with a nunchuck for $25 though, which is a good price.

That's only available in the US right? I cant see a refurb section on the uk store (although the uk store is pretty shite).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
US dudes, you can get the 32GB Mario 3D World/Nintendo Land bundle from this site for $247.99 using the promo code TOYBONUS :

http://www.yoyo.com/p/nintendo-wii-u-deluxe-set-mario-3d-world-and-nintendo-land-1154296

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh hey, regarding amiibos, how rare is the Zelda one? Is it looking like it can be grabbed later or is it limited supply and all the mouthbreather scalpers are stockpiling them?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Saoshyant posted:

Oh hey, regarding amiibos, how rare is the Zelda one? Is it looking like it can be grabbed later or is it limited supply and all the mouthbreather scalpers are stockpiling them?

Goddamn that's an angry post about plastic dolls. Anyways there's an Amiibo thread (link's in the OP) where the Americans complain about how rare everything is, if you're in Europe/Japan you can buy them at MSRP everywhere.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They've said that there will be a number of "core" figures that they intend to always keep in stock, characters such as Mario, Link, and Zelda are among them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They've said that there will be a number of "core" figures that they intend to always keep in stock, characters such as Mario, Link, and Zelda are among them.

Cool, thanks.

• Locked thread