Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i don't know enough japanese to know if this translates, but could Shigeru Sugie's name be a reference to EVA composer Shiro Sagisu? they kinda sound alike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Considering that he's a composer and not an animator or that the names don't actually sound alike, I'm going to have to say no.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 28, 2014

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Can anyone ID the ship in Kanno's room? If the two benches were references to Eva Unit 01 and Unit 02, I'd guess the ship would be related to Rei, but a quick GIS shows that it looks nowhere near the Ayanami-class destroyer... It seems to have the French flag, too.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Davincie posted:

i don't know enough japanese to know if this translates, but could Shigeru Sugie's name be a reference to EVA composer Shiro Sagisu? they kinda sound alike

i thought the old guy was supposed to be toshiyuki inoue who they actually got to do the key animation for the last episode

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

Can anyone ID the ship in Kanno's room?

I guessed it was actually meant to be Yamato.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Guyver posted:

New top image on the website for the second half.

Who's the girl in the bottom left? The others I remember, but I'm drawing a blank regarding her.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Schneider Heim posted:

Can anyone ID the ship in Kanno's room? If the two benches were references to Eva Unit 01 and Unit 02, I'd guess the ship would be related to Rei, but a quick GIS shows that it looks nowhere near the Ayanami-class destroyer... It seems to have the French flag, too.

That's the French submarine cruiser Surcouf.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

.Clash posted:

I guessed it was actually meant to be Yamato.

This was my first thought too. But did he work on Yamato, either the original or 2199?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

ViggyNash posted:

This was my first thought too. But did he work on Yamato, either the original or 2199?

He storyboarded the OP for 2199, which is quite close to the original one.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Mikl posted:

Who's the girl in the bottom left? The others I remember, but I'm drawing a blank regarding her.

I don't recognize her either, so she must be someone we've not met yet.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

That's the French submarine cruiser Surcouf.

And possibly a reference to Submarine 707R

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A doujinshi about true love.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

I didn't need to see this. Why, Japan, why?

drat fujoshis.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Please stop drawing. :catstare:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Guys this is like the least weird doujin, calm the gently caress down.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm glad somebody else likes Honda.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Guys this is like the least weird doujin, calm the gently caress down.

It's kinda weird, but it's not like it's some Waita stuff

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Honda has a surprisingly huge fan community that is also surprisingly vulgar. I don't suggest looking at the pixiv honda tag.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Get me a copy :eyepop:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Link to one of the scans from it, very mildly NWS.
The picture of Aoi they put above it. So perfect. :allears:

quote:

we're glad this exists. Every character deserves to find love and happiness.
:colbert:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't see how getting stuck with that sadsack director is happiness

He's really just a slightly more functional Tarou

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
The art reminds me of one punch man

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
So when does the second half of the series start? Google has failed me so maybe the next air date hasn't been announced but I'm impatient dammit.

Also how has no one mentioned the kickass Ghibli/Nausicaa reference yet? The plane/Giant Warrior using its weapon would make a good gif.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mentat Radnor posted:

So when does the second half of the series start? Google has failed me so maybe the next air date hasn't been announced but I'm impatient dammit.

Crunchyroll says two days away. Not sure if that's true.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

Crunchyroll says two days away. Not sure if that's true.

Unless there's a production delay they're usually correct.

Mentat Radnor posted:

Also how has no one mentioned the kickass Ghibli/Nausicaa reference yet? The plane/Giant Warrior using its weapon would make a good gif.

The Ghibli reference was kind of out of place. If I remember right, they were discussing studios for a loving otaku planes anime? That doesn't seem Ghibli like at all.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

The Devil Tesla posted:

Unless there's a production delay they're usually correct.

The Ghibli reference was kind of out of place. If I remember right, they were discussing studios for a loving otaku planes anime? That doesn't seem Ghibli like at all.

Glad we'll have more Shirobako soon.

Just the fact that it involves planes makes the reference make some sense since Ghibli and Miyazaki frequently use planes and flight as themes in a lot of their works. I guess it was out of place, but I liked it anyway.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The blurays come with staff interviews conducted by Aoi's voice actress and in a change of pace someone actually subbed the first one with pa works' CEO, Horikawa Kenji.

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=642589

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Guyver posted:

The blurays come with staff interviews conducted by Aoi's voice actress and in a change of pace someone actually subbed the first one with pa works' CEO, Horikawa Kenji.

That was worth the watch and I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Miyazaki got the name "Ghibli" off of an airplane.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I can't remember the exact conversation, but my interpretation of the Gibhli reference was that the creator of the original work they were adapting had requested Gibhli as the studio, but none of the businesspeople involved with the decision were taking that at all seriously. It was either a joke request or just someone who's an anime fanboy but totally out of touch with business realities.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
it was strike witches :colbert:

Damegane
May 7, 2013
It's not Strike Witches. It's some LN series that's really just girls flying planes.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Clarste posted:

I can't remember the exact conversation, but my interpretation of the Gibhli reference was that the creator of the original work they were adapting had requested Gibhli as the studio, but none of the businesspeople involved with the decision were taking that at all seriously. It was either a joke request or just someone who's an anime fanboy but totally out of touch with business realities.

Yeah they were saying "all the creator wants is Gibhli" or something like that, but isn't the idea another moeblob show? It wouldn't make any sense budget-wise nor stylistically.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Guyver posted:

How/why are there already blurays out?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

Cash stream.

I'm always amazed by how the industry can sustain itself on 4-figure sales numbers. That's a lot of starving Emas.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

They release 1 BD a month with 2-3 episodes generally starting at the end of the 3rd month after the shows start airing. Some are earlier, some are later, and some series just get BD boxes.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sincx posted:

Cash stream.

I'm always amazed by how the industry can sustain itself on 4-figure sales numbers. That's a lot of starving Emas.

They are $100 each.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

aers posted:

They release 1 BD a month with 2-3 episodes generally starting at the end of the 3rd month after the shows start airing. Some are earlier, some are later, and some series just get BD boxes.

That's weird.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There is nothing about anime that makes any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Guyver posted:

Just watched this. I think it's pretty cool that they gave an average-looking but talented VA a chance to both voice the lead character and to show her in a live action special on the Bluray.

• Locked thread