Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

funkybottoms posted:

probably waaaay too late on this, but if they have any Speedway variants, drink the hell out of them.

Well, here's the taplist
(Why yes I am in the UK, so I can handle getting gouged on the prices)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spuckuk posted:

Well, here's the taplist
(Why yes I am in the UK, so I can handle getting gouged on the prices)

What's with the fractions on the prices? Is it like how at gas stations the price is precise enough to be in ten thousandths of a cent? I didn't know the brits paid that much attention to detail on their beer.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Spanish Manlove posted:

What's with the fractions on the prices? Is it like how at gas stations the price is precise enough to be in ten thousandths of a cent? I didn't know the brits paid that much attention to detail on their beer.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. :laugh:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

We serve beer in pints, or proportions thereof.

That you serve beer in ounces is equally strange to us.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Spuckuk posted:

Oh. I thought that was saying 1/3 of a pence. So a third of a pint? Makes sense.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Spuckuk posted:

"it comes in pints?!"

they didn't bring anything crazy, so if you haven't already gotten your fill, my opinion is that they make solid beer across the board, so go with whatever style you prefer and you should be fine. personally, i'd go with Speedway and the Wee Heavy.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Midorka posted:

So since Super Hassler is in Philly until Jan 3rd,

But first I'll be around beautiful Central PA over the next coupla days on semi-related, semi-unrelated tourism, as you'll see in a little while!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

But first I'll be around beautiful Central PA over the next coupla days on semi-related, semi-unrelated tourism, as you'll see in a little while!

If you're anywhere near Selin's Grove I recommend stopping in. The atmosphere is amazing especially on a cold dreary day like today. I wish I was sitting by their fireplace with a glass of Scottish pub ale right now.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spuckuk posted:

Is that an imperial pint, liquid pint, or dry pint?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is that an imperial pint, liquid pint, or dry pint?

Imperial, that's the only pint measure used in the UK.

20 imperial fluid ounces or to use a sane measures system we should all adopt, 568ml

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 28, 2014

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

HatfulOfHollow posted:

If you're anywhere near Selin's Grove I recommend stopping in. The atmosphere is amazing especially on a cold dreary day like today. I wish I was sitting by their fireplace with a glass of Scottish pub ale right now.

On it! I am touring around Gettysburg right now and plan to bed in Hershey so it is not a terrible trip.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Spuckuk posted:

20 imperial fluid ounces or to use a sane measures system we should all adopt, 568ml

There's a nice round number... in base 71.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

SUPER HASSLER posted:

On it! I am touring around Gettysburg right now and plan to bed in Hershey so it is not a terrible trip.

sipping on a Pickett's Charge Red Ale?

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

krustster posted:

Finally made it Russian River tonight, only to be greeted with...a long line! Apparently it's been like this all year. It took about 40 minutes to enter the building.

Inside... more lines! except not actually a line, more of a giant disorganized crowd. We got a table after another hour or so.

Also it took like 40 minutes from when I said "we'll take the bill" until we were able to actually pay and leave. What a madhouse.

Honestly most of the beers outside of the big names were a bit dull but hey, a good time was had anyway. Bottles were plentiful and I got a few to take home.

This is the Russian River experience in a nutshell. I've gone a couple of times and every time wished I stayed at another brewery instead of trekking out to Santa Rosa.

My current MO is to hit RR, buy bottles of whatever I want to buy, then go somewhere else where I can sit in a non-crazy crowded area and enjoy a beer.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spuckuk posted:

Imperial, that's the only pint measure used in the UK.

Ahaha I'm just messing with you guys, but that is new to me that people measure drinks in fractions of imperial pints.

My sister gave me some imperial pint sized glasses for christmas and I like them a lot, it's nice to not worry about having to perfectly pour beer or else it overflows.

I found some founders breakfast stout while getting coffee at whole foods and I'm into this. I've had better breakfast stouts but the one I'm thinking of was a labor of love from a local brewer. Also if anyone has any tampa friends (like your catador trustee) tell them about coppertail, their night swim porter is pretty fuckin good for a tiny little new brewery.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 28, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
So Forgotten Boardwalks Title Deed coffee stout is on par with any I've had. Also I'm all time #1 skeeball champ here now with 62,000!

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

MunchE posted:

This is the Russian River experience in a nutshell. I've gone a couple of times and every time wished I stayed at another brewery instead of trekking out to Santa Rosa.

My current MO is to hit RR, buy bottles of whatever I want to buy, then go somewhere else where I can sit in a non-crazy crowded area and enjoy a beer.

Luckily it was less than half an hour away, but yeah, it was quite a pain. We went last year and it was super busy but without a line to get in, and we got drinks fairly easily (but no table). If there is a next time it'll be get bottles and maybe a drink at the same time, then beat it. I can't wait to see the stories/pics of the next Pliny the Younger release.

Oh also our secondary motivation was to hit the "secret" bottle shop Rincon Valley Wines, which has slightly higher prices than most places but their inventory sticks around for much longer because people just don't know it's there. They had like 10 different Almanac sours (including barrel aged stout Tequila Noir, which turned out to be very infected to my great irritation), multiple Pugachevs sitting there, I got Sucaba, Arctic Saison and a couple other things. They also had 3F Oude Gueuze and when my boy right here inquired about Cantillon they said they had Fou Foune and San Gilloise or whatever "in the back" but they didn't know what to do with them because they didn't want to piss off any of their customers. Still a pretty wild selection which caused us to rush around in a panic because we were super far behind schedule to to the RR shitshow.

krustster fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 28, 2014

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

krustster posted:

Luckily it was less than half an hour away, but yeah, it was quite a pain. We went last year and it was super busy but without a line to get in, and we got drinks fairly easily (but no table). If there is a next time it'll be get bottles and maybe a drink at the same time, then beat it. I can't wait to see the stories/pics of the next Pliny the Younger release.

Considering people are camping outside of liquor stores to get BCBS it will probably have a lineup a few days early. I think last year there were some idiots who camped out the day before for PtY so I'm sure some neckbeard will have to one up them and camp out even longer.

What's even funnier about that is that they release PtY every day for 2 weeks straight so it's not that hard to get at the brewery, but people still are fighting to yell "FIRST!"

That being said I might try to get Drake's Hopocalypse Black Label this year and if the schedules match up I might head over to RR in my downtime for Younger

Nerd Grenade
Mar 27, 2010

SUPER HASSLER posted:

If you haven't already left Gettysburg, hit up Battlefield Brew Works. They make the best Pumpkin Beer I've ever tasted.

http://battlefieldbrewworks.com/

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I feel unworthy of my avatar since I missed today's Tired Hands bottle release because I was too hung over.

That's why, though.

50+ bottles including some solid whaley poo poo.

Lowlights: Hill Farmstead Fear & Trembling (every loving variant). Gross.
Veritas 009 wasn't bad by any means but it was not even remotely up to expectations. Solid dark sour with some fruit, that's it.
A bunch of BA'd dark things were really samey.
Grey Monday is booze central and I didn't particularly enjoy it

Highlights: '11 Fou was loving perfect
Prop '14 is better than '13 and both were amazing
Everything SARA was real real good
Casey poo poo is amazing, ISO forever
Rare was the tits, you can totally taste the bottle count and the Pappy

EDIT: Tequila Mexican Cake was goooooooooood too
FLORA oh man Flora was insane

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 29, 2014

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

a worthy uhh posted:

I feel unworthy of my avatar since I missed today's Tired Hands bottle release because I was too hung over.

FLORA oh man Flora was insane

what batch? had the most recent last night and it was definitely the highlight of the evening (not that we were popping lots of crazy poo poo). not as tart as previous batches, i think, and seriously something i could crush pints of all evening. also really good were Allagash Old HLT, CS Passionfruit Petite Sour (much better than Blueberry), and a goon-provided CS Batonnage. not so good were Fantome Magic Ghost, which has green tea in it and doesn't really taste like beer; a two-year old Hardywood Bourbon Sidamo, which tasted like wood; and a goon-provided Deschutes Planete Rouge, which was, surprisingly, sweet to the point of being cloying. it wasn't terrible, but it was a bit disappointing that i was over it after a few ounces. the other two bad ones were pretty much as expected, though.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

funkybottoms posted:

what batch? had the most recent last night and it was definitely the highlight of the evening (not that we were popping lots of crazy poo poo). not as tart as previous batches, i think, and seriously something i could crush pints of all evening. also really good were Allagash Old HLT, CS Passionfruit Petite Sour (much better than Blueberry), and a goon-provided CS Batonnage. not so good were Fantome Magic Ghost, which has green tea in it and doesn't really taste like beer; a two-year old Hardywood Bourbon Sidamo, which tasted like wood; and a goon-provided Deschutes Planete Rouge, which was, surprisingly, sweet to the point of being cloying. it wasn't terrible, but it was a bit disappointing that i was over it after a few ounces. the other two bad ones were pretty much as expected, though.

Newest batch Flora. 100% agree with you.

Sad to hear you didn't like Magic Ghost. Been wanting to try that one for a while.

I have yet to drink a beer from Crooked Stave that wasn't at minimum 'awesome'. That brewery is crazy.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

a worthy uhh posted:

I have yet to drink a beer from Crooked Stave that wasn't at minimum 'awesome'. That brewery is crazy.

Cherry Origins tasted like bad cough syrup.

Your welcome.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

Cherry Origins tasted like bad cough syrup.

Your welcome.

i really dislike the Nightmare series, but CS is definitely way more hit than miss.

also, the current batch of HF Arthur is way less tart than the one from earlier this year (May?); it actually tastes like a saison this time.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

i really dislike the Nightmare series, but CS is definitely way more hit than miss.

I've mostly only had their shelf stuff and it is all very good. Was pumped when I was at a bottle share where someone brought Cherry Origins but ended up pretty disappointed. Really syrupy to me.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

poo poo, how could i forget this year's Vanilla Rye? oh, right, because i didn't like it! tasted like International Delight French Vanilla coffee creamer. i ended up dumping a bunch of Pizza Boy Sunny Side Up into my glass to make it bearable.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

funkybottoms posted:

poo poo, how could i forget this year's Vanilla Rye? oh, right, because i didn't like it! tasted like International Delight French Vanilla coffee creamer. i ended up dumping a bunch of Pizza Boy Sunny Side Up into my glass to make it bearable.

My ~1.5oz taster was more than enough. I enjoyed it but am glad I didn't wait in line or trade an arm and a leg for a bottle.

Sunny Side Up is like $8 and loving awesome.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

Based on a lot of comments, it appears as if the bottled version of VR is significantly different than the glass i had at FOBAB (from a keg). I thought it had a prominent but not overpowering vanilla aspect, with some spiciness from the rye barrels. I liked it a lot, even if it wasn't close to the awesomeness of 2010's, either fresh or with age.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

now that i think about it, Vanilla Rye might've tasted more like a vanilla Tootsie Roll than coffee creamer.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Vanilla Rye's vanilla was super strong and it was borderline undrinkable from the bottle. Didn't have the keg.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

danbanana posted:

Based on a lot of comments, it appears as if the bottled version of VR is significantly different than the glass i had at FOBAB (from a keg). I thought it had a prominent but not overpowering vanilla aspect, with some spiciness from the rye barrels. I liked it a lot, even if it wasn't close to the awesomeness of 2010's, either fresh or with age.

I enjoyed it at FOBAB and one place here got a keg, heard identical comments as you. The bottles are probably going to need some time, but I liked the big vanilla flavor as it is from the draft.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Philly folks - what are some good places (brewpubs preferred) to kill time tomorrow before Tired Hands opens at 4? Looked over the wiki but nothing is jumping out at me, most places seem to open at 4-5 on weekdays.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Podima posted:

Philly folks - what are some good places (brewpubs preferred) to kill time tomorrow before Tired Hands opens at 4? Looked over the wiki but nothing is jumping out at me, most places seem to open at 4-5 on weekdays.

Monk's Cafe is open for lunch and has some good stuff.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Going to Austin for New Year's. Gonna be downtown NYE, then back in that area Friday (2nd). Any spots I should subtly hint at checking out? Any brews out right now that are must-tries? Bottle shops would be cool, too. Especially if I can lug a case of Yellow Rose back with me...

I'm trying to make a trip to Jester King, too, but their hours aren't matching well with our plans.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Podima posted:

Teresa's is not a brewpub but is a great beer bar and is in the next town over from TH.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

a worthy uhh posted:

Casey poo poo is amazing, ISO forever

CO goons: is their stuff distributed? I've been hearing good things lately but haven't tried any of their beers. I'll be in Denver in October...

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

danbanana posted:

Going to Austin for New Year's. Gonna be downtown NYE, then back in that area Friday (2nd). Any spots I should subtly hint at checking out? Any brews out right now that are must-tries? Bottle shops would be cool, too. Especially if I can lug a case of Yellow Rose back with me...

I'm trying to make a trip to Jester King, too, but their hours aren't matching well with our plans.

I'd swing by the Austin Beerworks and Hops and Grain taprooms. Draughthouse is my favorite bar in all of Texas, but if you're wanting to stay specifically downtown, you could hit Craft Pride and Banger's for a good 1-2 combo along Rainey St.

East 1st Grocery would be the first place I'd check for bottles, you could even grab some crazy awesome BBQ at Kerlin which is practically across the street. As far as what to try, only things that come to mind right away are Austin Beerworks Sputnik and whatever Real Ale's Mysterium Venum that you happen to run into.

e: I also have heard a ton about this place. There are numerous groceries/gas stations/liquor stores in Austin that stock craft beer, but the city finally got a dedicated bottle shop:
http://whichcraftbeerstore.com/

air- fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 29, 2014

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Podima posted:

Teresa's Next Door is just a few miles down the road.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

I'd swing by the Austin Beerworks and Hops and Grain taprooms. Draughthouse is my favorite bar in all of Texas, but if you're wanting to stay specifically downtown, you could hit Craft Pride and Banger's for a good 1-2 combo along Rainey St.

East 1st Grocery would be the first place I'd check for bottles, you could even grab some crazy awesome BBQ at Kerlin which is practically across the street. As far as what to try, only things that come to mind right away are Austin Beerworks Sputnik and whatever Real Ale's Mysterium Venum that you happen to run into.

e: I also have heard a ton about this place. There are numerous groceries/gas stations/liquor stores in Austin that stock craft beer, but the city finally got a dedicated bottle shop:
http://whichcraftbeerstore.com/

Thanks! I'd suggest a get-together but more and more stuff is getting planned...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Philly goons, quick! I'm at Dock Street and was wondering what's near to go to next?