Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well have fun with that. Be warned that it's a really ambitious design that doesn't quite reach the heights it set out for. The funnels won't stay on, the transformation bits are kind of loose, the hands are hilariously fragile, the gun is too heavy, the bazooka doesn't attach all that well... I'm making it sound a lot worse than it is.

But yeah, the Nu vKa is a cool kit that is probably just going to stand on your shelf in one pose forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Oh, wow, the 1/144 Victory kits are cheap. I think I could get over the 25 year old engineering for $4 a kit. They would make for great practice fodder.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The Nu gundam ver ka is one of the best builds I ever did but the hands are annoying as hell and pose it before you put the funnels on.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

Oh, wow, the 1/144 Victory kits are cheap. I think I could get over the 25 year old engineering for $4 a kit. They would make for great practice fodder.

Depends on what you want to practice. :v:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

BlitzBlast posted:

Well have fun with that. Be warned that it's a really ambitious design that doesn't quite reach the heights it set out for. The funnels won't stay on, the transformation bits are kind of loose, the hands are hilariously fragile, the gun is too heavy, the bazooka doesn't attach all that well... I'm making it sound a lot worse than it is.

But yeah, the Nu vKa is a cool kit that is probably just going to stand on your shelf in one pose forever.

Yeah I heard the funnels were a pita. I'm not really expecting to move this model around a bunch, just want to build it for fun.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Monaghan posted:

The Nu gundam ver ka is one of the best builds I ever did but the hands are annoying as hell and pose it before you put the funnels on.

The Emotion Manipulators are the worst thing to happen to MG kits in a while. They should just take a page from their Tamashii Nations lines and use the swivel-ball joint like on the SH and Robot Spirits lines. Full range of ball joint motion, but with the stability of a good old fashioned hole and peg.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Condiv posted:

Yeah I heard the funnels were a pita. I'm not really expecting to move this model around a bunch, just want to build it for fun.

Easy tip for the funnels: take a piece of scotch tape and use it on the back of the funnels once you have them all attached. As for the hands, make sure to apply a gentle, even pressure when you're freeing up all the joints to minimize the chances of you breaking fingers.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Mecha Gojira posted:

The Emotion Manipulators are the worst thing to happen to MG kits in a while. They should just take a page from their Tamashii Nations lines and use the swivel-ball joint like on the SH and Robot Spirits lines. Full range of ball joint motion, but with the stability of a good old fashioned hole and peg.

yeah some people like them, I don't see why. I know some people hate the mg wing kits hands, but I love them. I never have stuff falling out of them and they are easy as hell to paint.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Does anyone have any advice for making joints tighter? I finished the G-Self's body, and it has some serious problems with the shoulder and hand joints popping out. I... uh... also cracked one of the photon frames when I was trying to remove it. I'm guessing there's no way to get replacement parts in the States outside of buying another G-Self, huh?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I managed to get a replacement part from bandai for my scopedog kit so you should be able to get one for your G-Self. iirc I emailed bandai action kits or a similar email address

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Warmachine posted:

Does anyone have any advice for making joints tighter? I finished the G-Self's body, and it has some serious problems with the shoulder and hand joints popping out. I... uh... also cracked one of the photon frames when I was trying to remove it. I'm guessing there's no way to get replacement parts in the States outside of buying another G-Self, huh?

You can try putting a very small square of tissue paper or paper towel between the ball and the socket.

--

Still building my MG Acguy. Finished the body and almost done with the head. It is so drat cool. Doing a body part over the course of two weeks to avoid getting burnt out.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
dip em in floor polish

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Does anyone have any advice for making joints tighter?

Topcoat it, cover it in dried superglue, put some teflon tape on it, do literally anything that increases friction.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

BlitzBlast posted:

cover it in dried superglue

This worked so well when I was fixing up a twelve-year-old SEED HG that it now takes both hands to pose the arms. Well, without breaking them, at least. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Any idea what's next on the G-Reco release calendar? Because the designs are a mishmash of 0079, Victory, and Turn A with modern Gunpla technology, it is my catnip, and the only thing keeping me from blowing my whole budget on everything in the range right now is the tiny pool of available designs (nothing from the Capital Army, the first half's main antagonists? Really, guys?).

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
The Elf Bullock's coming in February, I believe, and the Mack Knife's being released in March, if it's Capital Army suits you want.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i want some of those towasanga zanscare lookin suits, their eyes look awesome

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

John Carstairs posted:

The Elf Bullock's coming in February, I believe, and the Mack Knife's being released in March, if it's Capital Army suits you want.

Honestly, I want them all, but it especially seems like a shame to only have hero suits without some villains to balance them out. Mask's machines are a good start, but in addition to the neat Towasangan stuff, I could definitely go for some Wuxias and Caitsiths.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, I want them all, but it especially seems like a shame to only have hero suits without some villains to balance them out. Mask's machines are a good start, but in addition to the neat Towasangan stuff, I could definitely go for some Wuxias and Caitsiths.

I'm surprised the Rectens weren't a launch/near-launch kit for the line.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

cover it in dried superglue

This was the first thing I thought of, but second opinions are nice.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Could someone with an AB1 do me a favor and measure its dimensions? I'm looking into making AB decals but I'm at my parents' home for Christmas and can't measure the thing myself.

I need the width/length (pretty sure it's equal) of the octagonal part as well as the length of one of the edges.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Can anyone tell me when the model kits from Buddy Complex will be out? Need to achieve NICE COUPLING. All I ever find when I google them are the pictures from dengenki via gundamguy blogspot.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Never, the show wasn't popular enough. Those were scratchbuilds.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mecha Gojira posted:

I like the 2.0 hands a lot. The Turn A's hands can suck my whole dick. That's my thoughts on the hands for plastic robots, peace.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm surprised the Rectens weren't a launch/near-launch kit for the line.

iirc they thought the show wouldn't be as popular as Build Fighters, so they had a lot less gunpla lined up for it. Now it's doing pretty well though (I think it might be doing better than build fighters?) so they're putting more kits from it out.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

Could someone with an AB1 do me a favor and measure its dimensions? I'm looking into making AB decals but I'm at my parents' home for Christmas and can't measure the thing myself.

I need the width/length (pretty sure it's equal) of the octagonal part as well as the length of one of the edges.

13.3cm for width/length, and 5.5cm per octagonal edge.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 29, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Red Bones posted:

iirc they thought the show wouldn't be as popular as Build Fighters, so they had a lot less gunpla lined up for it. Now it's doing pretty well though (I think it might be doing better than build fighters?) so they're putting more kits from it out.

Its really hard to put a finger on how toys are doing because of the gap in markets but the story right now seems to be that Bandai wasn't expecting some of the suits to sell as well as they did, primarily the Grimoire, so they didnt ship as many units. Everything else seems to be selling par to what they were expecting.

And BFHG are on average selling better than just about any other single line because you dont even need to like BF to get their suits, since they tend to be higher quality and more plentiful/cheaper than their older counterparts.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/hobby/2189374051

Then again, this is amazon rankings which have already been shown to be volatile, but it gives you a general idea of what is selling right now.

e-Oh god I just noticed that the Yuki's Hi Nu has a loving bird backpack gimmick. Yuki you were above these dumb gimmicks :negative:

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 29, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

13.3cm for width/length, and 5.5cm per octagonal edge.

Thanks!

In other news, translating sketches into actual images on Adobe Illustrator is hard. :downs:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 29, 2014

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Cao Ni Ma posted:

e-Oh god I just noticed that the Yuki's Hi Nu has a loving bird backpack gimmick. Yuki you were above these dumb gimmicks :negative:

The backpack he made for the Amazing Exia could turn into a bird, Yuuki has always been an enormous loving nerd.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

ActionZero posted:

The backpack he made for the Amazing Exia could turn into a bird, Yuuki has always been an enormous loving nerd.

Dude's a fan of Soundwave, don't be hating.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Nobody calls Yuuki uncrasamatic!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

DigitalRaven posted:

Nobody calls Yuuki uncrasamatic!

Yuu inferior. Mejin superior.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

BizarroAzrael posted:

Dude's a fan of Soundwave, don't be hating.
How could I hate Yuuki? He's the best. He's a massive dork but he is the best (because he is a massive dramatic dork).

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 29, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well it's a start.

When I was originally designing this layout I thought the AB1 was a hexagon, so I had the colored bar start from the top left and then angle into a straight rectangle. It being an octagon messed that up, though, so I ditched the initial angled part entirely. Same goes for the planned gradient; aside from the fact I don't really know if Samuel Decal can print a gradient, it ended up just looking kind of awkward. Freed up space to put a GP logo too.

I considered putting a list of weapons at the bottom, but not only would that be kind of boring, but the GPs also have completely idiotically named weapons. So I decided to write up a blurb instead, like how Samuel occasionally just copy and pastes from the Gundam wiki. I don't know if the text (4 point) will actually be readable if this gets printed out though. If you're curious:

quote:

Originally a general-purpose MS, the Zephyranthes was designed to be capable of operating on earth or in space through swapping Core Fighters. Unfortunately, the GP01's pilot recklessly charged into space combat before the proper adjustments could be made, resulting in a critically damaged Zephyranthes. The remains were recovered and sent to a lunar branch of Anaheim Electronics for repairs, and in just two days the GP01 "Full Burnern" was completed. A massive overhaul, the GP01-Fb was designed solely for use in space. Additional thrusters and verniers were added all over the MS for this purpose, with the most noticeable additions being the two Universal Booster Pods on the back. Thanks to these, the revived Zephyranthes featured mobility far beyond the norm of the time period, with a theoretical maximum acceleration of 3.16 G. After failing to stop the destruction of the Earth Federation space fleet, the Full Burnern engaged its hijacked sister unit the Physalis in combat. The result was mutual destruction.

So yeah, any thoughts? I'm not really a fan of the blue I used for the bar, so if anyone has a more "Gundam" color I'd be glad to try it out.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're wondering why I didn't start with Gundam X, it's because I've decided to get off my rear end and work through my backlog this upcoming year. I plan to use the GPs as practice for full on painted builds, and then move on to my beloved holy grail.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
For clear showroom finishes, is tamiya polishing compound a good alternative to urethane clear.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nope forget it, I misread the question.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ActionZero posted:

The first time you see the 10-second Amazing Booster docking animation in Build Fighters, it should be absolutely clear what kind of person Yuuki is.

He's like if Ryusei Date was also the hot senior at the school.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Man, the Ez-SR is such a cool looking kit, especially since it's three designs in one, but the one thing that drives me up the wall about it is the colours.

It looks unpainted. Please tell me I'm not the only one who is annoyed by this.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Man, the Ez-SR is such a cool looking kit, especially since it's three designs in one, but the one thing that drives me up the wall about it is the colours.

It looks unpainted. Please tell me I'm not the only one who is annoyed by this.

This is a surprisingly easy fix. :v: But yeah, unless I was going about trying to make some prototype RX-78-3 style Ez-8, I'd slap traditional Ez-8 colors on it. Honestly, the parts in the Ez-SR kit could make some nifty OYW dioramas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
The answer is always Dragonar colors you gat drat plebs.