Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Buu is a better tactician than Gohan and the guy doesn't exactly have a history of ending fights as quickly as he could or should. Goku made the right call keeping him far the hell away from Buu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

He was getting his rear end kicked by Gobuu, until the fusion wore off.

Also Mystic is what he is called after the Old Kai powerup.

It is used in all forms of media I have seen, like games and such.

Every video game since Budokai Tenkaichi has used Ultimate Gohan and before that he wasit was just called Old Kai's Unlock Ability in the Budokai series. IIRC Mystic has only been used on a couple American toys and in a Funimation DVD booklet.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Horrible Taste posted:

Every video game since Budokai Tenkaichi has used Ultimate Gohan and before that he wasit was just called Old Kai's Unlock Ability in the Budokai series. IIRC Mystic has only been used on a couple American toys and in a Funimation DVD booklet.

It's an old fandom term that's been used since forever, like, Ultra Super Saiyan or you know, how the term Super Saiyan 2 was coined.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It seems like Ultra should always be better then Super but it never plays out that way.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

WickedHate posted:

It seems like Ultra should always be better then Super but it never plays out that way.

I think I've seen Ascended Super Saiyan referred to as Ultra Super Saiyan Grade 3 or something like that before.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Hobo Siege posted:

Buu is a better tactician than Gohan and the guy doesn't exactly have a history of ending fights as quickly as he could or should. Goku made the right call keeping him far the hell away from Buu.

Yeah, Gohan hosed up big time against Perfect Cell - he could have easily ended the fight at any time after achieving SS2. Thanks to his hubris, Goku and Trunks died, Cell got a massive power up, and Gohan got his arm hosed up. Gohan doesn't exactly handle Ultimate Power very well.

Oddly enough, the most pragmatic guy in the series was trained by (an alternate timeline version of) him - Future Trunks. Had Future Trunks received the Mystic power up, he probably would have defeated Buu within 5 minutes. For all we know that's how it actually got resolved in his timeline.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Trunks didn't die, did he? I thought he was just in critical condition the whole time.

Zonekeeper posted:

Had Future Trunks received the Mystic power up, he probably would have defeated Buu within 5 minutes. For all we know that's how it actually got resolved in his timeline.

I doubt it'd even take him five.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Trunks didn't die, did he? I thought he was just in critical condition the whole time.

Nah, he died. I think in the dub they maintained a "he's just barely hanging in there!" deception but once they get to Kami's Lookout, he is revived with the dragonballs.

Which means Cell killed Trunks twice.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
To be fair, Gohan usually is very practicle, but he got overwhelmed by the sadism and bloodlust transforming into SSJ2 for the first time was causing him, which was further spurred by his desire for revenge for Cell who had just killed 16 and had his Cell Jrs. gently caress up all his friends.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah mystic is entirely an invention of the western fandom

the closest thing that form ever got to a name was a guide just calling it "Saikyou no Senshi" which is why it's always Ultimate in games

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Can we at least agree that Gohan is not as much of a dick as Gotenks, who had two whole family lines (and the entire Earth) murdered by Buu both before and during their fight and was still dicking around and treating things like a joke?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Can we at least agree that Gohan is not as much of a dick as Gotenks, who had two whole family lines (and the entire Earth) murdered by Buu both before and during their fight and was still dicking around and treating things like a joke?

Wasn't he only loving around before he knew Buu killed his mom(s)? I remember him getting super pissed and wrecking Buu after finding that out.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Wasn't he only loving around before he knew Buu killed his mom(s)? I remember him getting super pissed and wrecking Buu after finding that out.

No. He still had time to steal Tien's volleyball move.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I finally got round to watching Battle of Gods after getting the blu-ray for Christmas. Gotta agree with everyone that the writing was pretty fantastic and it was a nice return to having the fights be more about martial arts then energy blasts.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Testekill posted:

I finally got round to watching Battle of Gods after getting the blu-ray for Christmas. Gotta agree with everyone that the writing was pretty fantastic and it was a nice return to having the fights be more about martial arts then energy blasts.

It's gonna suck when Toriyama gets tired of writing the movies and we have to go back to Toei's bland-rear end poo poo

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Broly vs Beerus

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Covok posted:

Gohan turning Super Sayian might be a case of either Old Kai's magic wearing off, him attempting to get stronger despite the futility of it all, or the writers/animations forgetting super sayian Gohan doesn't work canonically. In reference to to the latter, remember, an entire character vanished simply because Toriyama forgot she existed.

Which character was that?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

my cat is norris posted:

Launch, from the original series.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Flytrap posted:

Who?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I prefer Lunch

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Flytrap posted:

That poor girl.

I've always known her as "Lunch", too.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Genocyber posted:

He's stronger because he trains. Gohan's not a fighter, so despite his innate superior ability he ends up worse overall due to not training.

He should of taken some "with great power comes great responsibility" lessons from Spider-Man

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

my cat is norris posted:

The girl who turned into a psychopathic blonde when she sneezed.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I think the default response for anything dragonball related should be 'Toriyama forgot'

If he can forget about Vegito, all bets are off with him.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Parrotine posted:

I think the default response for anything dragonball related should be 'Toriyama forgot'

If he can forget about Vegito, all bets are off with him.

Where did he forget about Vegito?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

Where did he forget about Vegito?

I dunno if this is a joke or not.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So DBM and BoG pretty much revived my interest in this silly franchise and reminded me why I love it so much. I've started rewatching the original Dragon Ball from the beginning as a result (And eventually will move onto Kai which I've never seen before, and then GT despite what people have warned me about).

One thing I find different now as a young adult is that I find myself actually wanting Jackie Chun to win the first World Martial Arts Tournament. His fear about Goku and Krillin losing interesting in fighting if they win now actually seems kind of prescient considering the galactic threats such as Raditz that would utterly destroy the planet in just a decade or two. Toriyama is infamous for making things up as he goes along, but thankfully it all kind of works.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

It's just a fan comic, but, if you think about it, it could happen. Vegitio showed up for like 3 issues in a 40 volume manga he started writing 31 years ago and, honestly, didn't really do anything lasting in the overall plot. Sure, he's a fan favorite, but Akira Toriyama isn't, presumably, a fanboy.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Lunch is cool because her reaction to not getting front-row places for a martial arts tournament is unloading a machine gun into a crowd.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Raxivace posted:

So DBM and BoG pretty much revived my interest in this silly franchise and reminded me why I love it so much. I've started rewatching the original Dragon Ball from the beginning as a result (And eventually will move onto Kai which I've never seen before, and then GT despite what people have warned me about).

One thing I find different now as a young adult is that I find myself actually wanting Jackie Chun to win the first World Martial Arts Tournament. His fear about Goku and Krillin losing interesting in fighting if they win now actually seems kind of prescient considering the galactic threats such as Raditz that would utterly destroy the planet in just a decade or two. Toriyama is infamous for making things up as he goes along, but thankfully it all kind of works.

Are you familiar with the works of Team Four Star?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Some Numbers posted:

Are you familiar with the works of Team Four Star?

Oh I watch DBZ Abridged too, but it isn't quite the same thing.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Raxivace posted:

I think that was the most surprising thing to me too, after I rewatched the series as a 23 year old or whatever. Despite the fact that the show is clearly making fun of itself, the themes all come together decently well in the end. I guess that's the benefit of following good ol' martial arts themes ("there's always someone stronger", constant self improvement, etc.) and sticking with them no matter how insane the story elements get.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Firstborn posted:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/animation-styles/
This guide made me realize my favorite style is Maeda's. I think my least favorite is probably Uchiyama. What's yours?

My personal favorite is Ebisawa, but I am so not a fan of Uchiyama. I remember even hating that style as a kid.

Also, I was hypedfor that new movie with Freeza the second I saw Roshi fighting in that trailer. Anything that has the non-Saiyan characters fighting and being relevant again gets my interest.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder if Roshi's been sneaking in some training, because he should be way weaker than those guys. But, yeah, seeing him do stuff again is cool.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
He probably just helps to hold off the Planet Trade Organization soliders. We're shown throughout the series that the unnamed fodder soliders were usually pretty weak. Even by Yamcha standards.

EDIT: Does anyone know if Xenoverse is going to invalidate DB Online or does it serve as a prequel? Online takes place in Age 1000 while Xenoverse takes place in Age 850, but I don't recall Online ever claiming that the Time Breakers are a recurring enemy.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 29, 2014

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
Even if they're weak, I can't wait to see Roshi fight again. Between this movie and that new Xenoverse game, I feel like I'm 12 again. Definitely gonna watch some of the old eps while I'm on vacation.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
drat it, I'm watching Goku's fight with Piccolo Jr and it's sooooo goooooood. I almost forgot how smug Piccolo is in this arc, especially when he gets Kami in that bottle using the reverse mafuba and taunts Goku with it.

Goku: Hey, give me that bottle.
Piccolo: You man THIS bottle? *holds it n Goku's face*
Goku: Yeah.
Piccolo: *swallows it* Well try gettin it now motherfucker hahahaha

Also reminds me how Piccolo got some interesting characterization all through the fight. Despite being Piccolo Sr.'s son, he actually follows the rules of the tournament all the way through the end, doesn't kill anyone, and enjoys fighting Goku. It's not surprising that it all works out after Goku gives him that senzu bean at the end, he seems less vicious than his "dad", like somehow being spit up meant he also had less evil in him. He ends up being a parallel to Kami up until they fuse back and his character arc is more or less done. I almost wanted to see more of their rivalry, it's too bad Goku keeps dumping and upgrading his rivals every time a new one comes along. From Tien --> Piccolo --> Vegeta --> Buu/Uub(?), though It makes sense each time (he beats Tien, Piccolo kills Goku and technically gets what he wanted, etc.).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

yoyomama posted:

I almost wanted to see more of their rivalry, it's too bad Goku keeps dumping and upgrading his rivals every time a new one comes along. From Tien --> Piccolo --> Vegeta --> Buu/Uub(?), though It makes sense each time (he beats Tien, Piccolo kills Goku and technically gets what he wanted, etc.).

It's just the way it's supposed to go.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, by this logic, the new DBZ movie ends with Goku and Frieza just deciding to go watch a sports game after beating the crap out of each other for a few hours?

...You know, if that happened I wouldn't even be mad. That'd be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

WickedHate posted:

It's just the way it's supposed to go.

I know, but a lot of manga only have one rival/frienemy, and then main villains. Goku keeps getting new rivals like he's trying new flavors of ice cream

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, by this logic, the new DBZ movie ends with Goku and Frieza just deciding to go watch a sports game after beating the crap out of each other for a few hours?

...You know, if that happened I wouldn't even be mad. That'd be fantastic.

I also would not mind this. Toriyama did say this movie was going to be really funny, you never know.

• Locked thread