Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I'm not sure who came up with the idea for JST connectors, but good lord they are fiddly and hard to grip. Any of you guys have any tips for messing with these tiny little things? I'm worried i'm going to end up yanking the wires out of my batteries for my 120 SR at this point, it's kinda tough to get the battery to disconnect from the heli itself.

Also, is it typical for a fixed pitch style heli to roll hard left if the battery is low? Whenever mine gets close to running out of juice, my Blade will pitch hard left and I can't seem to counteract it. Also, last dumb question, any suggestions for a beefier battery upgrade? Right now I have two 1S 3.7V 500mAh LiPo batteries, just wondering if there's anything out there that's the same size that will last longer and give me a bit more flight time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Should be some larger ones available, but honestly your best bet is more batteries. Bigger batteries are more weight, making the model sluggish. I use banggood for that stuff usually, though amazon would be a good try to.

So I wired in a separate 5v Bec, and it was putting out 5.3 volts.... Gets it closer to the RMRC unit powering the fpv gear. I'm going to try using the soft serial for telemetry.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

T1g4h posted:

Also, is it typical for a fixed pitch style heli to roll hard left if the battery is low? Whenever mine gets close to running out of juice, my Blade will pitch hard left and I can't seem to counteract it. Also, last dumb question, any suggestions for a beefier battery upgrade? Right now I have two 1S 3.7V 500mAh LiPo batteries, just wondering if there's anything out there that's the same size that will last longer and give me a bit more flight time.

The tail rotor can't produce enough thrust to counter-act the torque from the main motor when the battery starts to run low.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The tail rotor can't produce enough thrust to counter-act the torque from the main motor when the battery starts to run low.

Gotcha. Thanks, I was kinda worried that maybe I had screwed something up somehow. I'm trying not to ask too many stupid questions, this Blade is just my first "real" heli, everything else I've owned has been a coax of some form. I'm already looking at getting the Military style MD500E kit from here once I get good enough at flying that i'm not worried about immediately smashing it to bits :v:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
It was a success. Neither my friend or I wadded up our birds. The Quanam Goggles are pretty nice. I need to do something about the radio reception... I think that will involve moving the FPV antenna to the top of the HD camera mount.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
what the gently caress is wrong w/ my receiver (dtf uhf minirx) / naze32

my naze32 feature list http://pastebin.com/dMQx9HfJ

I have set up and binded my rx and tx together. on my rx, port one is set to ppm, min ppm sync time lowered to 2800 (also tried at 3000), rssi injected on channel 8 (also tried with all rssi related stuff disabled), ppm output limited to 8 channels (also tried without), no other featured enabled or changed. rx and tx are on latest firmware. channel order set identical on both ends (AETR1234) and signal monitor is showing the correct outputs on openlrsng configurator. 1 servo wire connected between port 1 on the receiver, and ground/5v/input 1 on the naze32. nothing shows up on the receiver tab of the naze32. I've tried reflashing the receiver (both were updated a few weeks ago). What am I doing wrong here? Does the openlrsng channel monitor show what the receiver is getting? (It says i have a good signal).

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

what the gently caress is wrong w/ my receiver (dtf uhf minirx) / naze32

my naze32 feature list http://pastebin.com/dMQx9HfJ

I have set up and binded my rx and tx together. on my rx, port one is set to ppm, min ppm sync time lowered to 2800 (also tried at 3000), rssi injected on channel 8 (also tried with all rssi related stuff disabled), ppm output limited to 8 channels (also tried without), no other featured enabled or changed. rx and tx are on latest firmware. channel order set identical on both ends (AETR1234) and signal monitor is showing the correct outputs on openlrsng configurator. 1 servo wire connected between port 1 on the receiver, and ground/5v/input 1 on the naze32. nothing shows up on the receiver tab of the naze32. I've tried reflashing the receiver (both were updated a few weeks ago). What am I doing wrong here? Does the openlrsng channel monitor show what the receiver is getting? (It says i have a good signal).

Did you enable ppm on the naze ? You need to do "feature ppm" in the cli.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
It looks like he did. "Feature PPM_RX". Another possible simple fix, are you powering the naze32 with 5v to the output/servo header? I find its just the internal sensors that work over the usb power.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My 450 quad flies like poo poo and I am guessing it's the terrible kk2.1 board.

Tell me what flight controller I should get that is good for stability with the eventual use of aerial photography.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Golluk posted:

It looks like he did. "Feature PPM_RX". Another possible simple fix, are you powering the naze32 with 5v to the output/servo header? I find its just the internal sensors that work over the usb power.

i had usb and battery plugged in

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
i dont know what i did, i just reseated everything though and it works godDAMNIT

edit: both the turnigy and taranis seems poor at handling the rf output of the uhf jr module. the turnigy I have it in has a lot of screen distortion, while my taranis has a buzzing sound over the speaker. I'm going to try and cover the inside of the case with copper tape I guess.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 27, 2014

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

i dont know what i did, i just reseated everything though and it works godDAMNIT

edit: both the turnigy and taranis seems poor at handling the rf output of the uhf jr module. the turnigy I have it in has a lot of screen distortion, while my taranis has a buzzing sound over the speaker. I'm going to try and cover the inside of the case with copper tape I guess.

Copper tape and a good quality antenna on your tx will help a lot. What antenna are you using at the moment?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Diamond SRH771. If I touch the base of it, the interference goes away. I'm pretty sure thats not optimal though. I know ibcrazy has a dipole for cheap - i thought I read somewhere that a dipole would reduce interference on the tx end.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Laserface posted:

My 450 quad flies like poo poo and I am guessing it's the terrible kk2.1 board.

Tell me what flight controller I should get that is good for stability with the eventual use of aerial photography.

What about the kk2 are you having trouble with. What firmware version?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Got a CX-20 open source version for Christmas and I'm having a blast with it. Tried flying it out of the box and the throttle response was atrocious. After hooking it up to mission planner and doing all the calibration stuff/tuning the PIDs it's flying like a dream now. Came with a GoPro mount but I don't have one of those yet so I hacked together a cell phone mount like one I saw on YouTube, threw my phone on it and flew it around. It'll hold me over until I get a Mobius or something so it's a little less risky than using an iPhone. :)

Now it's supposed to rain for three days straight, ugh. Gives me time to order a much better charger than the one included and a few extra batteries though. Are ZIPPY brand batteries decent?

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Welp. First a hawk, and now for something a bit more exotic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZjFz5iN8BE

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Golluk posted:

Welp. First a hawk, and now for something a bit more exotic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZjFz5iN8BE

Don't gently caress with things that have hands.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

helno posted:

What about the kk2 are you having trouble with. What firmware version?

version 1.2

it doesnt self level, with self level on, and doesnt just hover still - its always moving in somewhat of a circle on its own (front facing in). its got the battery centered, the sensors calibrated on a flat surface, all that poo poo. My Proto X and my friends blade nano QX are both multiple times more fun and easy to fly than this giant poo poo.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Get some new firmware. 1.2 is old as the hills and doesn't have the full autolevel implementation of the later versions.

The new versions have all kinds of tricks like CPPM and Sbus input as well as remote tuning.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

anyone have any experience with the Hubsan H107D
I am looking for something to get me started and I don't want to spend to much.
I have never flown Quadcopters before, Crashing a $200 wont' hurt as much as a $500 system.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

helno posted:

Get some new firmware. 1.2 is old as the hills and doesn't have the full autolevel implementation of the later versions.

The new versions have all kinds of tricks like CPPM and Sbus input as well as remote tuning.

Mine has CPPM in the options but when I enable it I cant arm the motors.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Do you have a CPPM capable receiver?

Just update the firmware before writing off the board. There were some vast improvements from the first versions to the latest.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

my problem is that I have to buy the cable to update it anyway, so why not just get a better controller and avoid further headaches?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

jadeddrifter posted:

anyone have any experience with the Hubsan H107D
I am looking for something to get me started and I don't want to spend to much.
I have never flown Quadcopters before, Crashing a $200 wont' hurt as much as a $500 system.

Just get the non fpv version for $40

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

I saw it, but thought the FPV would be fun.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Well.. got 6 seconds of FPV video before I had something "really" screw up on my quad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76FaaTeGDH8

One motor shut off. It flew fine after that though...

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Nerobro posted:

Well.. got 6 seconds of FPV video before I had something "really" screw up on my quad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76FaaTeGDH8

One motor shut off. It flew fine after that though...

interesting

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Laserface posted:

my problem is that I have to buy the cable to update it anyway, so why not just get a better controller and avoid further headaches?

Because if you have trouble with a KK2 which is one of the easiest to tune you are going to have a hell of a time with the others.

What are you thinking of upgrading to?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

helno posted:

Because if you have trouble with a KK2 which is one of the easiest to tune you are going to have a hell of a time with the others.

What are you thinking of upgrading to?

Naze32.

I guess I can try the cable to upgrade but my patience is wearing thin, especially with how lovely hobbyking are with parts supply and delivery times.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Man, i'm glad spare main rotors for this Blade are cheap. Overcorrected for wind drift and slammed it nosefirst into the grass at high speed, managed to snap off part of one of the main rotor blades and broke one of the tiny plastic bits on the flybar where it connects to the rotor hub. $27 got me a new flybar and 2 sets of main rotors though :v:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I really had a successful day Sunday of flying FPV. I decided to try flying in a more confined space, so I would have a better grasp of where I was in the world. I also stood around the corner so the sound of the quadcopter would be blocked somewhat.

It worked. I now have six or eight good minutes of FPV time. I feel like I could try doing some fast foward flight... that doesn't end up with me in a bush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mog0Jee7YQ

Laserface posted:

Naze32.

I guess I can try the cable to upgrade but my patience is wearing thin, especially with how lovely hobbyking are with parts supply and delivery times.

"Right now" if you're flying seriously, you're flying a KK2 or a Naze32. Saying the KK2 boards is something to upgrade "from" is really a strange thing to say. Have you watched David Wendenstals video on KK2 setup? It's specific for his tricopter, but it'll be useful for you too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ4AaI6KPhA

You don't need to order from HobbyKing to get a cable to program the KK2 board. It's just a normal Amtel ICSP/ASP programmer with I think a 6 pin adapter on it. They're all over ebay, in the US, for $10 or so. You could have the board in a day or three. (If you want to hate yourself, you can get a KK 5.5 and a programmer for $18..)

Is your plan to go racing? Or as a flying camera platform. If you're planning on the whole flying camera platform direction the KK and MultiWii based boards aren't really the direction to go. You'd want to be looking at the CC3D, APM, or one of the other GPS autopilot based flight control systems. Those can get you rock solid flights, versus the fast and through the woods stuff that the people racing 250 quads are looking for.

The acro boards (read kk2 and multiwii based boards) tend to not have a flux gate compass, barometer, sophisticated GPS integration, or facilities for "optical flow" to help maintain altitude and attitude. But you don't need those facilities if your goal is to fly fast.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I'd appreciate advice on buying my first quadcopter, trying to decide between:
  • $45 Hubsan X4 H107L
  • $80 Hubsan X4 H107C w/ 2 MP camera
  • $90 Blade Nano QX RTF
Being able to shoot aerial video is one of the main reasons I want to buy a quadcopter but everything I've read says that the Hubsan X4 with the camera doesn't fly as well as the non-camera one. The Blade Nano sounds like it's the best for flying but has no camera. Are there any other options in this price range? Should I just buy one of the non-camera models and learn to fly before moving up to a more expensive quadcopter that will do video?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Parker Lewis posted:

Should I just buy one of the non-camera models and learn to fly before moving up to a more expensive quadcopter that will do video?

Weight is CRITICAL. on an 18-30 gram quadcopter, the 5-15 grams for a camera is a huge load. Blade sells a 180qx with camera, because the bigger airframe handles the weight better.

If you just want to learn to fly, go without the camera now, and buy some spare props. The blade Nano QX is awesome, I still love mine.

Since you're looking to get in stick time, the $45 hubsan is probally the way to go. Buy one, wear out the motors, run the batteries till they have no capacity left, and decide then on where you want to go with your bigger quads. Be sure to practice nose in, and side on flight. keeping orientation, and control direction is critical practice!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

T1g4h posted:

I'm not sure who came up with the idea for JST connectors, but good lord they are fiddly and hard to grip. Any of you guys have any tips for messing with these tiny little things? I'm worried i'm going to end up yanking the wires out of my batteries for my 120 SR at this point, it's kinda tough to get the battery to disconnect from the heli itself.

A little late but I love these things: http://www.buddyrc.com/3s-ab-clips-5-sets.html

They snap onto the JST connectors and provide strain relief and a "tab" to safely reef on when inserting/pulling. Cheap, effective, clever :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

A little late but I love these things: http://www.buddyrc.com/3s-ab-clips-5-sets.html

They snap onto the JST connectors and provide strain relief and a "tab" to safely reef on when inserting/pulling. Cheap, effective, clever :allears:

Oh my god, thank you so much for this link. Seriously, those are going to come in super handy!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

T1g4h posted:

Oh my god, thank you so much for this link. Seriously, those are going to come in super handy!

If you still hate the JST connectors, you can go to Micro Deans as well, which are solderable, reusable, have no gender (battery and aircraft take the same connector), and are easy to join/separate.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nerobro posted:

I really had a successful day Sunday of flying FPV. I decided to try flying in a more confined space, so I would have a better grasp of where I was in the world. I also stood around the corner so the sound of the quadcopter would be blocked somewhat.

It worked. I now have six or eight good minutes of FPV time. I feel like I could try doing some fast foward flight... that doesn't end up with me in a bush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mog0Jee7YQ

"Right now" if you're flying seriously, you're flying a KK2 or a Naze32. Saying the KK2 boards is something to upgrade "from" is really a strange thing to say. Have you watched David Wendenstals video on KK2 setup? It's specific for his tricopter, but it'll be useful for you too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ4AaI6KPhA

You don't need to order from HobbyKing to get a cable to program the KK2 board. It's just a normal Amtel ICSP/ASP programmer with I think a 6 pin adapter on it. They're all over ebay, in the US, for $10 or so. You could have the board in a day or three. (If you want to hate yourself, you can get a KK 5.5 and a programmer for $18..)

Is your plan to go racing? Or as a flying camera platform. If you're planning on the whole flying camera platform direction the KK and MultiWii based boards aren't really the direction to go. You'd want to be looking at the CC3D, APM, or one of the other GPS autopilot based flight control systems. Those can get you rock solid flights, versus the fast and through the woods stuff that the people racing 250 quads are looking for.

The acro boards (read kk2 and multiwii based boards) tend to not have a flux gate compass, barometer, sophisticated GPS integration, or facilities for "optical flow" to help maintain altitude and attitude. But you don't need those facilities if your goal is to fly fast.

This was helpful.

I have a QA450 which I want to eventually be able to hang a GoPro on and film things. At the moment I just want the thing to fly so I can practice.

I also want a fast FPV setup in a 250 size so that will be later down the track. the KK board sounds like its better suited to that?

I have a Proto Estes FPV on the way so I will see how that pans out before I go dumping more money - I have a feeling that itll be good enough for my fast FPV fun.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Laserface posted:

I also want a fast FPV setup in a 250 size so that will be later down the track. the KK board sounds like its better suited to that?

A naze would be even better. the KK really has been superseded by the naze and cc3d.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Parker Lewis posted:

I'd appreciate advice on buying my first quadcopter, trying to decide between:
  • $45 Hubsan X4 H107L
  • $80 Hubsan X4 H107C w/ 2 MP camera
  • $90 Blade Nano QX RTF
Being able to shoot aerial video is one of the main reasons I want to buy a quadcopter but everything I've read says that the Hubsan X4 with the camera doesn't fly as well as the non-camera one. The Blade Nano sounds like it's the best for flying but has no camera. Are there any other options in this price range? Should I just buy one of the non-camera models and learn to fly before moving up to a more expensive quadcopter that will do video?

I think I am going to go with the cheap one to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
jesus christ im done assembling and basic configurin gently caress

i might have gone overboard with coolin on the vtx (it gets really loving hot tho. its 800mw but someone said it was putting out 1.5 on one channel)

also this is new sorta https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/shielded-mobius-case-now-available/

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 30, 2014