Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

McDragon posted:

My favourite part of Skye shooting Ward is how shocked and hurt he looks. He really thought she'd forgive him. Crazy Ward is the best thing this show has done

I don't know if it's the best thing they have done. But it has delivered pretty well so far. Especially the part with his brother being kidnapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I am legitimately (and pleasantly) surprised that they stuck with the whole "Ward is loving nuts and no one has forgiven him" thing. I was sure they'd either have some kind of redemption arc by now or have Ward dial back the "Look what I did for you, because I'm such an awesome guy!" schtick. Him continuing to be crazy and everyone continuing to despise him has been great.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Wait.. what.. is Ward dead?

I haven't had time to catch up with season 2...

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Dalael posted:

Stop reading and catch up.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Pander posted:

Stop reading and catch up.

Sadly, I don't have much time lately for watching shows. And since i have started several at once, I can only keep up with a few.
I really don't mind spoilers, so I read about stuff I can't catch up with. Knowing that something happens only makes me anxious to learn how it got to that point. Something along the lines of its not the destination, its the journey

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dalael posted:

Sadly, I don't have much time lately for watching shows. And since i have started several at once, I can only keep up with a few.
I really don't mind spoilers, so I read about stuff I can't catch up with. Knowing that something happens only makes me anxious to learn how it got to that point. Something along the lines of its not the destination, its the journey

It's pretty much one of those things you have to see. Words can not express Season 2 Ward. Brett Dalton brought his A Game, and more.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Guess it'll be the boring variety of vibration powers, then. :sigh:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Whst would be not boring? We already know Skye can make earthquakes, and now apparently she has Flash-like focused vibration powers. That's a whole lot of range she can use the power with.

Predicting a training montage set to Shake It Off. And then another one to Good Vibrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

And the final one set to You Shook Me All Night Long.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

McDragon posted:

My favourite part of Skye shooting Ward is how shocked and hurt he looks. He really thought she'd forgive him. Crazy Ward is the best thing this show has done

That was a close second, but the best part of her shooting him was just how loving quickly she did it and with how little hesitation and witty banter. I expected her to try and get him to drop his weapon and Ward to try and convince her he was good. But nooooope. Just loving shot him cold blooded with no remorse.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I like how everyone expected Ward would be redeemed somehow, and then his entire arc this season has been pretty strong proof that is never, ever, ever going to happen. I wouldn't be surprised if Ward ends up as the final villain of the series.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I like that they're building up Skye to be a great agent first and that her powers will be secondary to her skill set, instead of the other way around. That said, I'm all for tacky training montages!

(God I'm excited to see how they keep using Secret Warriors as inspiration for the show. I hope we get to see bits and pieces of Daisy's future team as the show goes on. We already have Creel running around so Stonewall should be an easy in! And with Whitehall getting offed, and the whole, cut off a head and 2 more grow in its place, we have evil May as the obvious analogue for Madame Hydra, would it be too far fetched for Ward to eventually take on the Kraken persona?)

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 29, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It's even better because Ward was redeeming himself in his own eyes. So for Ward, he was on this redemption arc and was going to get the girl, but he just got shot instead. It was wonderful.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dalael posted:

He got better and has now run off with a brainwashed former shield agent who got stuck with May's face after being electrocuted. They're probably gonna either go be crazy together or take over Hydra. Or both.

I'd say I'm surprised they went full comic-book this season, but with GotHam's camp second only to Adam West Batman, Arrow having R'as al Ghul fighting Oliver Queen shirtless on a snowy mountaintop, and Flash fully embracing silver age comic status (complete with running up buildings, Reverse Flash and time travel), Shield is actually the most grounded of the comic TV shows this year. It's a wonderful time to be a geek.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Bruceski posted:

It's always been a wonderful time to be a geek.

Fixed that for you!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Skye shooting Ward was
the Mal kicking that dude into the engines in Firefly.
Or Angel killing Jenny Calendar.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

redshirt posted:

Skye shooting Ward was

If she'd shot him dead, yeah. As it is, it just feels like a cool, but phony moment.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

redshirt posted:

That was a wtf moment if I ever seen one. Then the realization of what happened sinks in, and you tend to start laughing.

God I miss that show. :argh: Fox :bang:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dalael posted:

That was a wtf moment if I ever seen one. Then the realization of what happened sinks in, and you tend to start laughing.

God I miss that show. :argh: Fox :bang:

The best part is when he pulls up the next dude and starts giving him the exact same speech.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

BreakAtmo posted:

The best part is when he pulls up the next dude and starts giving him the exact same speech.

Oh yeah! That was priceless :)

But my favorite part ever is in the episode Shindig, after the sword duel.

Mal: "Mercy is the mark of a great man *pokes with the sword* I guess I'm just a good man. *pokes with the sword again * Well I'm alright."

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dalael posted:

Oh yeah! That was priceless :)

But my favorite part ever is in the episode Shindig, after the sword duel.

Mal: "Mercy is the mark of a great man *pokes with the sword* I guess I'm just a good man. *pokes with the sword again * Well I'm alright."

Also good. Though we should probably just stop now before the inevitable derail gets out of hand. You could fill 5 pages with Firefly quotes.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

BreakAtmo posted:

Also good. Though we should probably just stop now before the inevitable derail gets out of hand. You could fill 5 pages with Firefly quotes.

Agreed.

Back to the original thread. From what I've been reading, season 2 seems weird. Skie has superpowers now? What gives?
I think I need to rewatch the episode in season one in which Coulson gives her more information about her past. I missed most of that part due to being busy at the time, and I never went back to it. Unless anyone feels like reminding me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Probably best to watch the episodes or read the wiki.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dalael posted:

Agreed.

Back to the original thread. From what I've been reading, season 2 seems weird. Skie has superpowers now? What gives?
I think I need to rewatch the episode in season one in which Coulson gives her more information about her past. I missed most of that part due to being busy at the time, and I never went back to it. Unless anyone feels like reminding me.

Long story short Skye is not entirely original as a character, she's actually a very loose adaptation of Daisy Johnson.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

BreakAtmo posted:

Long story short Skye is not entirely original as a character, she's actually a very loose adaptation of Daisy Johnson.

I'm not very versed in comic books, so I had to go read the wikipedia entry..
Seems interesting.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

redshirt posted:

Skye shooting Ward was

Or Mal just shooting the guy holding Kaylee hostage without breaking stride.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Dalael posted:

Agreed.

Skye's background is pretty much The major story arc of season 2 so far.

Summary if you don't mind having the entire thing spoiled:

Season 1:
According to SHIELD files, Skye was found in a chinese village where the entire rest of the population had been killed. She was placed in a SHIELD-managed orphanage and her background was buried. The agents who found her then went into hiding after someone started killing them off one by one. Raina tells Ward (after he betrayed the team) that Skye's parents were "monsters" and she meets with Skye's apparent father at the end of season 1.

Season 2:
The season mainly concerns itself with an alien artifact called "The Diviner" which is sought by both Hydra and Skye's father, and which kills anyone who touches it directly and is not "worthy". Raina is revealed to be "worthy". The artifact turns out to be connected with the mysteries writing that Coulson is compelled to carve as a result of being resurrected with the GH serum that is derived from the blood of the alien race called Kree. Skye possibly being of alien origin is suggested since she has had no reaction to the serum. Skye's dad joins forces with Hydra and reveals himself to be very knowledgeable about the diviner's function and purpose.

It turns out Skye's mother was exposed to the Diviner during WWII by Hyrdra and was deemed "worthy" by it. Several decades later, she was found by Hydra again and turns out not to have aged in the meantime. She is killed while being experimented on by Hydra. She is also revealed to have been Skye's mother, and Skye's dad real motivation is revenge against the current leader of Hydra. It was actually Hydra who murdered everyone in the chinese village when they captured her mother. Raina informs Skye that Raina was found by Skye's dad afterwards, and told of an alien race called the Kree who in ancient times created a sub-species of humans who were gifted and "worthy" to inherit the earth. Coulson's writing is revealed to be a map to a buried city created by the Kree, and the Diviner is a key to activating something there.

Skye confronts her dad, and he reveals his real name to be Calvin, and hers to be Daisy. Skye is exposed to the Diviner and deemed "worthy" as well. The episode ends with Raina activating the Diviner in the ancient city, while she, and Skye and Agent Triplett is in the chamber with it. The Diviner unfolds and reveals crystals which emit a gas that encases Skye and Raina in a shell of stone. Triplett is turned to stone by the diviner while trying to stop it, and falls apart in front of Skye when she emerges from the stone shell with her newly-given power to create earthquakes. Raina emerges as well, having gained a monstrous appearance instead, and makes a discreet escape.

TL;DR
Skye is actually Daisy Johnson AKA "Quake" from the comics, and a member of the inhuman race. The series so far has been one big origin story for her MCU incarnation and the introduction of Inhumans to the MCU.

Edit: Beaten apparently

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 29, 2014

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Just caught up with everything up the mid season finale today.

The second series has been non-stop awesome as far as I'm concerned and I think Marvel are putting down a pretty huge marker for the show by introducing the Inhuman element through it. I thought Kyle MacLachlan was bloody brilliant as well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dalael posted:

"Bruceski posted:

It's always been a wonderful time to be a geek.
Fixed that for you!

Fair enough, no argument from me on that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sorvah posted:

The second series has been non-stop awesome as far as I'm concerned and I think Marvel are putting down a pretty huge marker for the show by introducing the Inhuman element through it. I thought Kyle MacLachlan was bloody brilliant as well.

Yeah, he's been wonderful on character and delivery. "Make Ward and Skye's character arcs not horrible" may be what most folks notice about season 2 so far, but MacLachlan has been a surprise gift.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
http://io9.com/in-the-first-shield-comic-coulson-and-crew-meet-all-th-1675926155

Cool Covers and previews of the SHIELD comic.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Clark Gregg must be the happiest little fanboy on the planet right now :3:

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, he's been wonderful on character and delivery. "Make Ward and Skye's character arcs not horrible" may be what most folks notice about season 2 so far, but MacLachlan has been a surprise gift.

I'm looking forward to him unleashing the monster a bit in the second half of the series. I imagine he'll be tearing through Hydra and SHIELD now that Skye (are we still calling her Skye or Quake?) has 'awakened'.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Would you say she's "Quakened"?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Clark Gregg must be the happiest little fanboy on the planet right now :3:

Except for the part where he's sharing a cover with Black Cap and Girl Thor, all but ensuring that no one will ever read that comic after 2015.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014

Rocksicles posted:

Would you say she's "Quakened"?

I would from now on, and claim it to be my own invention.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I like the May, Simmons and Marvel ladies cover. Though its funny how Spider-Gwen is on there, and Kamala Khan, not exactly two heroes who are part of the wider universe yet.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hooray, Fitz got his monkey at last.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Ha, this pretty much ignores what littlle has been established of 616 Coulson's history for the sake of making him a facsimile of the MCU version. But nobody liked Battle Scars, so I can't say anything of value was lost here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I like the May, Simmons and Marvel ladies cover. Though its funny how Spider-Gwen is on there, and Kamala Khan, not exactly two heroes who are part of the wider universe yet.

Who's the chick on the left(may's right) in the Black and white spider-man looking costume(Not Gwen)?

• Locked thread