Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, they make a big deal out of Ricin being 100% incurable, you die in 12 hours, period, end of discussion so I'm not sure how that would have worked and not seemed dumb.

afaik ricin can be cured?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Akumos posted:

afaik ricin can be cured?

http://emergency.cdc.gov/agent/ricin/qa.asp

Apparently no.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, they make a big deal out of Ricin being 100% incurable, you die in 12 hours, period, end of discussion so I'm not sure how that would have worked and not seemed dumb.

My favorite line in the whole movie is literally exactly what i said in my head when that scene was happening.

"He's gonna poo!?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

BlackJosh posted:

We really don't know much about Un but Kim Jong Il was definitely super duper into american cinema, if I remember correctly.

His father definitely was very into American cinema, one of the few things we know about Un is that he is very much into American basketball, which made the Basketball scene so excellent. Dennis Rodman has been a guest of Uns' on more than one occasion, and there is a great Vice documentary about it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He probably goes for the docile Korean pussy

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Rodman got real-life honey dicked and is now NK's biggest supporter. No wonder he didn't want this moving coming out because it skewers him much more than it does Lil' Chubs.

Tim Chuma
Dec 19, 2009
The cinemas that are screening it seem to be going OK.

The Red Chapel is going to be screened at the Cinefamily also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aQRC_4LheY

The directors of Aim High in Creation (Anna Broinowski) and Comrade Kim Goes Flying (Nicholas Bonner) complained bitterly about Mads Brügger loving things up for everyone. To his credit Mads Brügger replied "oh well, they have to server their masters in Pyongyang".

I was later contacted by a community organisation "Stop CSG Sydney" Anna Broinowski had mis-represented what she was going to do in that movie, they were mad enough to go out looking for people to set the record straight with.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Old Man Pants posted:

His father definitely was very into American cinema, one of the few things we know about Un is that he is very much into American basketball, which made the Basketball scene so excellent. Dennis Rodman has been a guest of Uns' on more than one occasion, and there is a great Vice documentary about it.

That's right! Although so was Il, he even had his own scoring system. I remember a few years back a guy in the NBA threads around here was tracking NBA scores and converting them to the Glorious Leader's modified scoring system, it was great (I remember missing free throws lost you points and certain shots were worth more at certain times)

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
This movie is horrible, if NK hadn't tried to get people to not watch I doubt many would have. It's got a few good moments but overall it's pretty poo poo.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If they were going to war over a movie, it'd be Team America

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
It was really, really bad.

I can't believe we're still making ching chong ding dong jokes in 2014 but here we are

the guy who played Kim Jong Un was the best part of the movie, he did a really good job and I hope to see him in better movies someday

Troposphere fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 28, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Frijolero posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with most of you?

This movie is objectively bad. There is minimal character development. The writing is god loving awful. The acting is mediocre. The story is a bunch of Jewish virgins got together and watched a CNN special about North Korea.

Worst of all, it is mostly awkward and unfunny. "You are the Samwise to my Frodo" ?? That joke is 12 years old now. Rob Lowe is balding?? LOLZ! What else is current and funny? Oh a 2010 song by Katy Perry! gently caress off.

Nobody in this thread thought the movie was good, they were just honey dicking you.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
The fact that people are memeing lines from the movie tells us it has redeemable qualities.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I enjoyed the whole "Hector's Rectum is Real!" bit.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I liked it. I laughed at the jokes. They were funny to me.

Just watched it and :agreed:

I'm probably never gonna watch it again, but it was good for at least one watch.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

raditts posted:

Just watched it and :agreed:

I'm probably never gonna watch it again, but it was good for at least one watch.
Yeah, I doubt I'm gonna buy it on Blu-Ray or anything (if it even gets released that way), but I've found myself thinking about the term "honeydick" and laughing to myself a couple times over the past few days.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I loved it. I still love it.

But then again, I've been looking forward to this flick since This is The End's credits rolled. Ya'll honeydicked yourselfs with the hype.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

CelticPredator posted:

But then again, I've been looking forward to this flick since This is The End's credits rolled. Ya'll honeydicked yourselfs with the hype.

I'm not a fan of Rogen, but I like Franco and just wish he'd make another movie as good as Your Highness.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Your Highness is my least favorite movie by them. If it were a bit tighter, I would've enjoyed it more. But it has good moments.

Also, where the gently caress was McBride in this flick? Probably the most disappointing aspect.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Troposphere posted:

I can't believe we're still making ching chong ding dong jokes in 2014 but here we are

the guy who played Kim Jong Un was the best part of the movie, he did a really good job and I hope to see him in better movies someday

IMO most of the criticisms of the movie are absolutely spot on but... in a comedy my first criteria is whether I laughed. And I did, quite a bit, and so while it's not a great movie by any measure, I don't regret spending the time to watch it, which is how the really lovely movies differentiate themselves.

Yeah Randall Park is the same guy who plays Chung on Veep, where he's also great, so check that out if you haven't yet. Also, I think I saw Jonad in there too, which was a nice surprise.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, I doubt I'm gonna buy it on Blu-Ray or anything (if it even gets released that way), but I've found myself thinking about the term "honeydick" and laughing to myself a couple times over the past few days.

Same. Luckily I didn't actually pay for it. Just got high (like you should) at my buddy's house and we watched it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

The fact that this movie isn't "Objectively Good" is part of what gives it charm. Any ainters-gonna-aint who thought this was going to be brilliant are loving delusional. The interactions between Rogan and Franco were the best, Franco played his dumb part up extremely well. I actually think the whole cartoony over the top representation of Kim Jong was the worst part about the movie but I understand what they were setting out to do. I'll definitely check out whatever Franco/Rogan bromance comedy comes out next.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I honestly can't complain about anything they did with any of the characters. I half expected Un to turn out to be gay and just having a huge crush on Franco, and all the things he's done to his people were forced upon by his staff or something. I did not actually see him being a huge loving master manipulator despite us being told constantly he was.

I WAS MANIPULATED! :negative:

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

UoI posted:

I WAS MANIPULATED! :negative:

He straight up honeydicked you

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It was good. I laughed a lot(watched it with friends later and laughed even harder) and Franco absolutely killed it. He wasn't really clicking with me the first time I watched it until the "stink dick" part.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Troposphere posted:

I've no idea what you're referring to.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Bananaquiter posted:

I've no idea what you're referring to.

Yeah that came across like a comment from someone who didn't see the film to me, I don't remember any such thing.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Yeah that came across like a comment from someone who didn't see the film to me, I don't remember any such thing.

Me so solly.

E: Liked the movie, but the cab scene was a miss.

Sono fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 29, 2014

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Oh, so you mean a "ching chong ding dong" joke in the same sense that Colbert and The Simpsons did them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

IGN has posted some box office numbers...

quote:

And what of the last-minute, rescheduled limited release of The Interview? The controversial comedy played on 331 screens at indie theaters with an estimated $1.8 million for 16th place at the weekend box office and a total of $2.9 million since opening Christmas Day. (UPDATE: Variety reports that The Interview made over $15 million in online revenue over the weekend.)

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
there is a "lol the place is called dong!! like penis!!!" joke and lot's of pointless "haha asian people talk funny" jokes, which is what I was referring to. it's just really low-hanging fruit for a movie about a place as bizarre and strange as north korea. like really, that's the best they could do with all that material? seth rogen saying me so solly is the joke that made it through the editing process?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Troposphere posted:

there is a "lol the place is called dong!! like penis!!!" joke and lot's of pointless "haha asian people talk funny" jokes, which is what I was referring to. it's just really low-hanging fruit for a movie about a place as bizarre and strange as north korea. like really, that's the best they could do with all that material? seth rogen saying me so solly is the joke that made it through the editing process?
I think those jokes aren't making fun of Asians as much as they're showing the main character to be a buffoon who's bad at relating to Asians.

"Me so solly" is something he blurts out because he first thought the person on the phone was his friend pranking him, and he was in the middle of making asian accent jokes. When he realizes his mistake, he tries to show the person on the other side respect but fumbles his words and says something disrespectful. It's portrayed as something dumb, the movie isn't endorsing making fun of asian accents.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 29, 2014

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Steve Yun posted:

I think those jokes aren't making fun of Asians as much as they're showing the main character to be a buffoon who's bad at relating to Asians.

"Me so solly" is something he blurts out because he first thought the person on the phone was his friend pranking him, and he was in the middle of making asian accent jokes. When he realizes his mistake, he tries to show the person on the other side respect but fumbles his words and says something disrespectful. It's portrayed as something dumb, the movie isn't endorsing making fun of asian accents.

it's still not funny

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

Troposphere posted:

it's still not funny

Glad we cleared this out to your satisfaction.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Troposphere posted:

it's still not funny

I laughed.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Troposphere posted:

it's still not funny

Actually being part Asian and having lived in Japan, it was quite spot on and accurate with how Americans act around Asians. So, yes, funny.

e: fun fact: literally none of the Korean is accurate so being offended makes this even funnier. Did you think this movie was supposed to be a serious interpretation of Korean culture through the lens of American tourists?

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 29, 2014

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
what's also really funny is when straight dudes act like gay dudes because the gays are hilarious, but you see they aren't really gay because they love PUSSY, also poop

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Troposphere posted:

what's also really funny is when straight dudes act like gay dudes because the gays are hilarious, but you see they aren't really gay because they love PUSSY, also poop

I'm glad we cleared up that you miss the point of things.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

CelticPredator posted:

I'm glad we cleared up that you miss the point of things.

what exactly did I miss? it's so hilarious when james franco gently caresses seth rogen's cheek in a romantic way, because it's funny when guys do that to each other because haha they're not gay they're straight! bromance definitely isn't getting to be a tired joke that has been beaten into the ground a million times, by these same actors, again and again. it's new and fresh every time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You made a conscious decision to watch a Seth Rogan movie and then get offended that it's a Seth Rogan movie.

• Locked thread