Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
eh, the one time i was in a private drop with 24 other goons, at least two on my team were aggrivated because i kept suggesting we set a tonnage limit and once we got steamrolled by the other team who was dropping in mostly heavy and assault clan mechs, nearly half the team left the private group in tears and went on for five minutes on how dumb PGI and private lobbies are. that whole incident left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

though i'm sure it can work if somebody sets it up well in advance with some pre-determined rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Pycckuu posted:

What would you suggest as a first mech for a new player? The easy choice is a stormcrow running streaks and MPLs so people can learn movement and positioning with a little bit of shooting, but you can't run a stormcrow in IS CW and it's a lot of money to spend on something that can only be used in public queue. We had a guy raging the other night because someone told him to buy a hunchback 4SP, and he started playing during tryhard primetime so it wasn't going well.

Fil5000 posted:

If we're expecting people to get used to the snipey peek poke metagame then either a Thunderbolt 9S or the Cent AL should do the trick. Thud build is two ERPPCs in the RT, one in the LT, endo steel, fill the rest of the tonnage with engine, armour and heat sinks. The Cent AL is a 260 standard engine, 2 LL in the arm, one LL in the CT, endo and heat sinks. The Cent is probably the cheaper one to get up and running(I think it's 8m for the cent and 10m for the thud).

I would do the Thunderbolt 9S. You can just about get one out of the 25-match reward system, and it is a solid 'mech. Also, it forces you to get good at using projectile weapons at range, so that's a plus.

garth ferengi posted a Shadowhawk with 3 ER LL at some point. It would be pretty good for the range game, but it looked like it would run hot. Heat Management Skills - Go!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

OB_Juan posted:

I would do the Thunderbolt 9S. You can just about get one out of the 25-match reward system, and it is a solid 'mech. Also, it forces you to get good at using projectile weapons at range, so that's a plus.

garth ferengi posted a Shadowhawk with 3 ER LL at some point. It would be pretty good for the range game, but it looked like it would run hot. Heat Management Skills - Go!

I'm wary of only coming up with one recommended newbie build, as if we DO end up with a few newbies at the same time they'll all have heavies which is a pain for non-CW drops.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I agree, I was answering "What would you suggest as a first mech for a new player?" Off the top of my head that would be the one. The SPL firestarter, AC20 Hunchback (admittedly, the current meta isn't it's strong suit) would be other ones.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

I'm wary of only coming up with one recommended newbie build, as if we DO end up with a few newbies at the same time they'll all have heavies which is a pain for non-CW drops.

Who the gently caress cares about non cw poo poo?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Drewjitsu posted:

Who the gently caress cares about non cw poo poo?

You don't seem to be too bothered either way so I'm surprised to see you post about it.

Also there were plenty of people on earlier playing not-CW. So I guess those people. And me.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I guess a Mech that does work both in CW and normal play would be the best thing for new players. For CW one might want to consider which trial mechs are viable for CW and which normal play Mech would contribute nicely to those.

Current Trial Mechs IS:
Light
Firestarer 5xMl + 2x AMS
Jenner 3x Ml, 3x SL

Medium
Wubment 3x SRM4 + 2x MPL (2x AMs is nice against LRM heavy teams)
Lunchback with 9xML (HOT)

Heavy
Dragon 2x LL, 1x Gauss
Cataphract 3d 2x ML, 2x LL, LBX

Assault:
Stalker XL Engine, 4x ML, 4x LRM15 TAG - poo poo don't use
Pubbie Reaper Atlas, Std engine, 2x LRM15, Gauss, 4x ML, AMS

Both lights are fine builds. The Wubment isn't a powerhorse but at least does dish out damage. The Lunchback is way to hot for a new player and gently caress playing it on any Hot map. Dragon is okay and the Phract is a mess (at least without XL). Which the Stalker has. WTF :pgi: Atlas is a pubbie build, but it's "useable".

So Jenner, Firestarter, Centurion and Atlas/Dragon. Even with an Atlas you'd end up with only 220 tons. So there is enough room to switch any mech with something heavier. Another Centurion or a Thunderbolt would fit in nicely.
Firestarter, Centurion, Centurion, Atlas = 235 tons
Firestarter, Jenner, Thunderbolt, Atlas = 235 tons
Firestarter, Centurion, Thunderbolt, Dragon = 210 tons

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Fil5000 posted:

You don't seem to be too bothered either way so I'm surprised to see you post about it.

Also there were plenty of people on earlier playing not-CW. So I guess those people. And me.

More people seem less interested in CW than do, at least right now with the bonus prizes poo poo going on. Plus it's more constant playing of the game besides staring at a screen and hoping something happens. I mean I like the faction rewards n poo poo but.. It's not worth the time right now especially for folks working on say Clan mastering or some joke mechs or various gimmick fun builds with their new hoopties.

Most people probably don't want to have to play portable games waiting for their computer game to actually reach the loving PLAY GAME STATE, itself having lots of sitting about doing gently caress all.

CW can be fun but to say its the only way to play nowadays is a bit shortsighted really. Plus outside of faction rewards it is kind of pointless. Yay numbers on map change whoop de shitboggle. Your imaginary faction has a higher score that means nothing woo go Packers Red Sox Nation yeah!

(Well I guess the nutters who are actually trying to Roleplay in this game might care but honestly the only non sexy times sort of RP I want to engage in has dungeon maps and hit points and friends around a table who are all paying attention to whatever bugfuck stupid campaign idea the GM is running. Usually me jamming everything together and making a mockery of genre or setting canon. Because Shoggoths should in fact be able to eat Kender from Dragonlance and Draconians can time travel and have Elves in hover tanks. Phantasy Star and Ultima 1 knew what was up!)

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well for me the CW gameplay is a lot better than Viridian "too small" bog map and other atrocities of :pgi: map design. I admit that I do enjoy the normal queue. And it can be fun and entertaining. BUT CW has attack/defend gameplay which is a lot better than team deathmatch.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Captain Rufus posted:

CW can be fun but to say its the only way to play nowadays is a bit shortsighted really. Plus outside of faction rewards it is kind of pointless. Yay numbers on map change whoop de shitboggle. Your imaginary faction has a higher score that means nothing woo go Packers Red Sox Nation yeah!

Devil's advocate: What part of any computer game amounts to something more than numbers changing on a screen?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Even though I literally don't own any other than the freebie Champion Centurion, I think that Mediums are probably the best place for a complete newbie to start off. Your survivability is tied up in your mobility, so you learn quickly not to pretend you are a turret the moment enemies appear, but you still have enough armour that you don't instantly fall over at the slightest mistake. You have enough firepower to make an impact, but you typically aren't a high-priority target. Play about with a medium for a bit to get the basics of how MWO plays, then if you like being mobile experiment with lights and if you want a bit more punch try a heavy.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that because Assaults have the most armour and the most big guns that they are the best. They absolutely are not and many people consider them excruciatingly boring to play. They also tend to die very quickly as they are high priority targets and don't have enough mobility to escape a team's focused firepower.

Ask for advice on mech builds but feel free to experiment and tweak them to best suit you.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Fil5000 posted:

As a moontimer, I end up playing random pug matches because Liao CW is generally a no show during my prime playing period. Both Liao & Davion groups tend to be most active during US primetime which is fantastic for me on weekends, but not happening for the rest of the week.

One day the Flaming Drongos will get our chance on taking down the Fighting Cocks a peg.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Here are some crab builds I use, I've tried to make them cheap to make, but Double Heatsinks tack on an extra 1.5mil no matter what.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=239&l=1e5485eae3ea7ab430b44d09f3989932562202ec

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=238&l=4a0d8c1235a6bc06a0f5b73dadca179ef32ed9a0

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=238&l=7f418a714186bfcd85e08b189d163493791d0ae6

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=238&l=1d0559aae2b4a96fab79c441d03614c8d196d771

And here's a Dire Star that doesn't melt when you fire it: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=173&l=4ad16eefec4b734633b4fd715a8b4160bd4be2a0

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Here's a quick idea of what I was thinking of. The idea would be for a new pilot to pick one out of each weight class. I tried to keep original engines where I could, or swap to common engines from other chassis. I also tried to keep AMS a/o BAP on as many as possible, and TAG could be added to a few without too much trouble. These are particularly focused on CW, but I would imagine they would largely work ok in the group queue as well. There are some LRM builds in there as well. LRMS aren't horrible on defense, and sometimes you just want to play something different for your third variant of a chassis.

I am a little worried we'd be a little short on ECM, but it's hard to say.

Light:
Firestarter (35T) -
* FS9-A
FS9-H
FS9-S

Raven (35T) -
RVN-3L (3x ML, 2x SRM4)
RVN-3L (2x ERLL)

Medium:
Centurion (50T) -
* CN9-AL (3x LL)
CN9-A (3x ASRM6, 2x ML)
CN9-D (LBx10, 2x ML, 2x SRM4)

Hunchback (50T) -
* HBK-4G (AC20)
HBK-4SP (2x SRM6, 3x ML)
HBK-4J (2x LRM10, 2xML)

Shadow Hawk (55T) -
* SHD-2K (3x ERLL)
SHD-2D2 (4x LRM5, 2x ML)
SHD-2H (Gauss, ERLL)

Heavy:
Jaeger (65T) -
* JM6-S (Gauss x2)
JM6-A (2x ERLL, 2x LRM15) Above, but with an XL300 (could be borrowed from the Cent-D, or just use an XL295 out of one of the light builds.)
JM6-DD (3x UAC5, MLs - or trade the MLs in for more ammo)

Thunderbolt (65T) -
* TDR-9S (3x ERPPC)
TDR-9SE (3x LPL)
TDR-5SS (MPL)

Assault:
Stalker (85T) -
(need Stalker builds for the 3F, 5M, and another)

Atlas (100T) -
AS7-D-DC

Edit: Some of these might be kinda bad. I threw them together kinda fast, and might have not QA'd them as thoroughly as possible. Let me know if there is something really terrible in here. Or just that can be improved.

Additional Edit: Got some feedback. Updated the Atlas, CN9AL, removed a JM6A.

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 29, 2014

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Whelp enough had MC bucks from stocking stuffer to grab the huginn, that thing is silly if you get into the zone where the enemy is distracted by many mechs,

Then you're dumping missiles like a spammy UAC/5:unsmigghh:

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

If I earn a bit more MC I'll probably buy a hero. Maybe a medium mech. Gridiron worthwhile?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

OB_Juan posted:

Here's a quick idea of what I was thinking of.

What do the asterisks denote?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Buy this one first.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

OB_Juan posted:

Medium:
Centurion (50T) -
* CN9-AL (2x LL, 2x SRM4)
CN9-A (3x ASRM6, 2x ML)
CN9-D (LBx10, 2x ML, 2x SRM4)
You're probably going to get a few folks doing this to you but I recommend this for the Centurian CN9-AL, and you have no where near enough ammo for the Cent CN9-D - I run this and have often run out of ammo.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Captain Rufus posted:

(Well I guess the nutters who are actually trying to Roleplay in this game might care but honestly the only non sexy times sort of RP I want to engage in has dungeon maps and hit points and friends around a table who are all paying attention to whatever bugfuck stupid campaign idea the GM is running. Usually me jamming everything together and making a mockery of genre or setting canon. Because Shoggoths should in fact be able to eat Kender from Dragonlance and Draconians can time travel and have Elves in hover tanks. Phantasy Star and Ultima 1 knew what was up!)

Jesus loving christ

OB_Juan posted:

Edit: Some of these might be kinda bad. I threw them together kinda fast, and might have not QA'd them as thoroughly as possible. Let me know if there is something really terrible in here. Or just that can be improved.

Almost all of these are incredibly bad

Some of them still have stock armour levels and don't even have the minimally required 10 heat sinks

e:

ZombyDog posted:

You're probably going to get a few folks doing this to you but I recommend this for the Centurian CN9-AL, and you have no where near enough ammo for the Cent CN9-D - I run this and have often run out of ammo.

I'm not sure why you guys are allergic to ferro(and sometimes even endo), there's zero reason to not run ferro then max out the armour and put a larger engine in(I used a 255 back in the day)

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 29, 2014

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

OB_Juan posted:

Actually the thunderbolt seems like a really good idea. They are beefy, fairly fast, and you can run a snipey one and a brawly one. I run my 9s with STD 275, 2 ERPPCs, 3 ML and 2 AMS with 3 tons of ammo. It's not as punchy as 3 ERPPC version but its nice against LRM-heavy groups. If we got a lot of people running these we could get pretty good AMS coverage across our attacking waves.

I'm not sure about starting off on medium mechs because they are pretty fragile unless you move around a lot or have the patience to get in a good position before you engage. You also need to be very careful if you want to do a lot of damage, and the mechs themselves don't carry that much ammo. New players might have trouble with all of that.

I personally like the 80 ton LRM boats because they are fairly easy to use (once you figure out movement and positioning) and you can rake in the cash doing around 1000 damage per match in public drops. Awesome 8R and Battlemaster 1S can run an LRM60 build and I had a lot of good experience with it both in CW and pub drops. They might be very expensive builds, though.

/edit: Just thinking about it real quick, you could run Thunderbolt 9S, Thunderbolt 5SS, trial Hunchback 4P(C) and a trial Jenner. In other words, you only need to buy 2 mechs and you can have a pretty good drop deck then and there.

Pycckuu fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 29, 2014

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

garth ferengi posted:

I'm not sure why you guys are allergic to ferro(and sometimes even endo), there's zero reason to not run ferro then max out the armour and put a larger engine in(I used a 255 back in the day)
I endo everything, I'll admit I don't think about ferro outside of lights because I often don't have the crits to spare, but hey, it free's up a tonne for the CN9-AL so you can go up an STD 260 or throw in another heatsink, but ferro won't fit in the CN9-D - ferro & bigass ballistics just don't get along.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm having fun with this Mad Dog but I just realized that if I hop back into WoL I won't ever get to use it for serious and that's sad.

book
Nov 29, 2014

garth ferengi posted:

Almost all of these are incredibly bad

What general guidelines do you use for building a mech then? I ask this seriously since I'm new, and I've only followed the Thunderbolt build so far.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

book posted:

What general guidelines do you use for building a mech then? I ask this seriously since I'm new, and I've only followed the Thunderbolt build so far.

Constructive criticism is not her strong suit.

A lot of mech building comes down to role and weight, so even general guidelines vary wildly between weight classes and the mech's purpose. Narrow down the advice you're looking for and you'll be more likely to get a useful response.

book
Nov 29, 2014

MilkmanLuke posted:

Narrow down the advice you're looking for and you'll be more likely to get a useful response.

In my short playing time, I've enjoyed med/heavy the most (sniping or brawling is fine). I got linked to that HBK-4G with AC20 when I wanted a medium with ACs, but I assume that the build isn't great due to smaller engine and non-maxed armor? It did feel insanely slow when I played it, though I was warned of this in advance.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

I'm having fun with this Mad Dog but I just realized that if I hop back into WoL I won't ever get to use it for serious and that's sad.

Then join FLJK, the goon-clan unit.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

book posted:

In my short playing time, I've enjoyed med/heavy the most (sniping or brawling is fine). I got linked to that HBK-4G with AC20 when I wanted a medium with ACs, but I assume that the build isn't great due to smaller engine and non-maxed armor? It did feel insanely slow when I played it, though I was warned of this in advance.
With the HBK-4G with AC20 you're stuffing an oversized gun into a small robbit, and subsequently you're going to be making sacrifices to fitting it in, made even trickier because the AC20 is in a side torso and you wont fit an XL engine to free up weight. Endo steel and Ferro will help, you can max out armour, take 2 MLs, upgrade to double heatsinks and drive this robbit at 84kph. The first drawback is 21 shots with 3 tonnes of ammo, everyone is going to shoot your hump so your AC20 and ML hanging off that arm won't last the whole match and you'll be running around with one laser.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

ZombyDog posted:

Yeah, I like the 3x LL better. Will edit the list. I haven't really run many Cents, so thanks for the specific advice. That is what I'm hoping for.

Took another look through the other ones. Made some updates, removed a couple of intermediate builds.

Can anyone toss me some Stalker builds? I've never driven one, and am not sure where to go...

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 29, 2014

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

book posted:

Always try to find ways to easily fit endo/ferro, never run an engine at one of the heat sink breakpoints(every 25 points, so 250 engines have 10(the minimum required amount) heat sinks inside, 275 is 10 with the potential to hold one more, etc) unless you're hurting for crit slots, try to put weapons in locations that make for effective peeking and poking(whether it's high mounts on the mech or by making an assymetric build to peek around corners with), and that's basically all the general advice that I have.

Here, let's just do a quick compare and contrast with my builds versus some builds OB_Juan and others have posted/that I've seen people using

ZombyDog's Centurion AL

My Centurion AL that is completely unchanged from its pre-ghost heat, pre-clan days

ZombyDog's has 16 crit slots free but doesn't actually throw ferro on to make use of it. I just do that, max out the armour(maximum armour is pretty important, since every single part of the centurion needs to be as tough as possible), and upgrade the engine a tad for good measure.

This is the Thunderbolt 9S build that I see used the most. It's not terrible.

But there's no real reason to mount a STD275 when you have 3 crit slots free. Downgrading to a 270(and moving a heatsink from your CT to your arm, which isn't really a big deal) gains you a full ton of arm armour, and the arms on the thunderbolt are almost as good of shields as the centurion. You could even go lower if you really wanted to. I experimented with it a tad and have settled with the 270.

My Thunderbolt 9S

It's also really important to just not load up mechs with lots of extraneous garbage. Things like beagle active probes(especially on things that don't even use missiles that need a lock, although if you're using something that needs a lock to fire you should probably just drive something more useful), AMS(which is a joke), and more than 2 jump jets(you will never need to jump that high unless you're trying to bring the poptart days of old back) clogging up tonnage and crit space can really make a mess of a build.

OB_Juan's Thunderbolt 5SS

This thing is pretty easily fixed. Just drop a single external heat sink, rip out the beagle active probe and AMS, throw in endo and a bigger engine, and voila!

A wonderful, near-perfect murder robot

Was this at all helpful?

e: Also in the current environment I would never ever recommend IS mediums to any new player. Or any player at all really. They're pretty bad.

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 29, 2014

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Yes. Thank you very much. Got any Stalker builds?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Here's a rhino build. STK-3H Probably better for attacking than defending, as the short range and slow speed makes it not much good for quick repositioning to deal with threats. Could still be okay for bursting down lights at omega I guess?
There's a laser drill build in the OP but I don't think I've ever run a laser drill, at least not since ghost heat became a thing, and I'm not sure how it's supposed to work now. I guess you can get away with chainfiring lasers somewhat on defense where they won't (usually) be shooting back as much but idk. Maybe someone else can shed some light on why they're still a thing that's recommended but idgi. If you do run the one in the OP I'd drop some arm armour and put it on legs since everyone loves legging in CW. I don't find I lose arms that often in stalkers anyway. Even if you do you still have 4 LL so whatever.
You can also boat PPCs on them as I've been doing in CW due to my limited selection of mechs, but with quirks the ER PPC thunderbolt is probably a better chassis for that ton-for-ton. Here's a build for it. STK-4N Bit hot for the sulphur map but it owns on boreal where you can sit on the sniper hill and snipe/surpress guys shooting the gates then fall back along whichever path they rush and put a lot of hurt down. Nice on attack too where a volley or two will usually make exposed enemy snipers/lurmers gently caress off for a bit while the blob moves up, and drops turrets pretty quick if you're not running too hot already.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 29, 2014

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I dropped $400 on computer upgrades and now MWO is cock-blocking me with this whole "I can't log you in because the server is undergoing maintenence right now, looser". It's similar to what these chumps are experiencing, I've tried all the things and now I get to twiddle my thumbs till the 5th because Canada has long vacations I guess.

The thing I love about this is that it looks like my ticket response is going to be "not our problem" which I suppose is what I get for activating the 70 odd days of premium a week or two ago.

:pgi:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

So what are some good builds for the ADR-PRIME (or any Adder variant really)?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

I like those. Saw this AFTER I got done making some. Could do with some opinions here -

STK-4N 4x LL - Put them in left/right side fire groups, snipe away.

STK-5M 4x ASRM6, 4x ML - Ambush 'mech. position yourself somewhere the opposing team has to move through, remove armor as needed. Two missile groups, one for lasers. Probably want to hold off on the lasers until a section need special attention.

STK-5S 4x ML, 2x LPL, 2x SRM6 - Another shorter range 'mech, but energy weapons this time.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

YellerBill posted:

So what are some good builds for the ADR-PRIME (or any Adder variant really)?

I see lots of double ER PPC Adders, I don't know how good that is. It's probably a default build. :v: You can also be an alleyway mugger with 4xSRM6+A (found this one on mechspecs) http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=169&l=bd204ebaabe716d1cfc9c3051b2594e22ab34bee

OB_Juan posted:

I like those. Saw this AFTER I got done making some. Could do with some opinions here -

STK-4N 4x LL - Put them in left/right side fire groups, snipe away.
I'm not super familiar with Stalkers but I took a look by metamechs and mechspecs with my own build experience. That's not terrible if it's aimed at a new player, you could potentially add endo and drop the engine by 10 to cram in two more lasers (also pull 3 heatsinks out)

OB_Juan posted:

STK-5M 4x ASRM6, 4x ML - Ambush 'mech. position yourself somewhere the opposing team has to move through, remove armor as needed. Two missile groups, one for lasers. Probably want to hold off on the lasers until a section need special attention.
That doesn't seem terrible, but consider putting some lasers in the CT for the zombie. Maybe a LL? You could also cram more SRMs in: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=46&l=dad405a96327d42d7841d9f6ea833102711d2e57 But overall, not terrible. The LL adds some ranged punch. Make sure to chain fire the SRM6s though if you're going to do that for obvious reasons.

OB_Juan posted:

STK-5S 4x ML, 2x LPL, 2x SRM6 - Another shorter range 'mech, but energy weapons this time.

The SRM6s seem like an after thought here. I put two large pulses in each of the arms, dropped the engine by 10 (STD300 is an "engine happy spot" and works in a lot more mechs than just these 3), put in a medium laser on each side torso, and threw the extra half ton into the leg. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=50&l=0f3c15b48c313e9772e50fdf3d17cda16584f7de YMMV.

These are overall pretty decent IMO. I'd just consider dropping the engine to 300 on each of them. Again, take my advice with a grain of salt, I don't really play Stalkers. :shobon:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

OB_Juan posted:

Two missile groups, one for lasers.

gently caress that poo poo. Ghost heat isn't that bad on 4 SRMs and they don't run that hot anyway. Ignore ghost heat and alpha those SRMs and then twist the gently caress away, use those big side torsos to your advantage. You can't afford to stare guys down volleying your SRMs.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I have had a lock of good experience with the centurions in cw. You don't need to be very fast when you are part of a larger group. When you are solo they are all good brawlers. The hitboxes are great and it makes it easy to torso twist and spread the damage to the arms. Playing an -AL with 2LL and 2 ML i managed 2 solo kills, took down a gate gen, and two turrets. If you don't have a lot of money to start you can stick with the standard engine and use a lot of extra heatsinks while saving for endo and DHS.

book
Nov 29, 2014

garth ferengi posted:

Was this at all helpful?

Good stuff. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Is PGI's attempt at the 64-bit client a horrific disaster or is it worth trying? I ask because I tried it and the game crashed and I used their repair tool to fix it but it deleted a crucial .pak file so I had to reinstall the entire game from scratch so the verdict is ever so slightly weighted on the "horrific disaster" side.

• Locked thread