Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
Other than the Nazrin connection, it has often been thought to be a reference to the iron mouse legend - the one brought up in that FS story with Udonge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

amuayse posted:

Oh wait you're right

Who's this artist again? I like the art, but I can't remember their name, hurr.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Who's this artist again? I like the art, but I can't remember their name, hurr.

Kurokoori
https://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=126319

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Kurokoori knows that all touhous are jerks

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

amuayse posted:

How do the tengus walk with that funky footwear
They were originally worn by mountain-dwelling monks (the inspiration for tengu). It helped them climb up steep inclines.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Well, it's Christmas day. You know what that means? More fake PC-98 remakes!
Man SoEW was weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGo_oTAEvTk

HGH fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 26, 2014

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
It's been a long, hard road, but I've finally reached the end...

For now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

leather fedora posted:

For now.

Finally! For a while, I thought we might never finish it!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Does anyone really care about Raiko and the Tsukumo sisters? They seem to be the least popular Windows characters outside the Aki sisters and Hina.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
medicine says hi

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

amuayse posted:

Does anyone really care about Raiko and the Tsukumo sisters? They seem to be the least popular Windows characters outside the Aki sisters and Hina.

They have the best themes from DDC and thus are pretty drat cool. I also like their designs in general.

They'll be more popular once Zun eventually releases Touhou 14.9, a Rhythm Game based on a battle of the bands between The Prisimrivers, Choujuu Gigaku, and the Tsukumogami's.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Tsukumogami are the new youjuu (animal youkai). Basically they seem pretty generic with no interesting twists to them. But does anyone really care about, say, Wriggle either? She gets thrown into the stage 1-2 idiot boss team sometimes, but does anyone care about her personally? I think the main key to popularity is to be connected to other characters, so people can easily imagine them interacting with each other. On their own, pretty much all the early stage characters are boring, because ZUN doesn't put much effort into their backstories or personalities. The Aki sisters and Medicine are unpopular because they exist in a character vacuum with no interactions with others. I think the instrument tsukumogami have a similar problem, but it would be easy to fix. Maybe it won't be fixed, but it would be easy.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Zun actually likes Wriggle.
I think most of the attention Wriggle gets is because of the whole ambiguous gender shtick.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

leather fedora posted:

For now.

I don't know what this is but that cover is amazing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Tsukumogami are the new youjuu (animal youkai). Basically they seem pretty generic with no interesting twists to them. But does anyone really care about, say, Wriggle either? She gets thrown into the stage 1-2 idiot boss team sometimes, but does anyone care about her personally? I think the main key to popularity is to be connected to other characters, so people can easily imagine them interacting with each other. On their own, pretty much all the early stage characters are boring, because ZUN doesn't put much effort into their backstories or personalities. The Aki sisters and Medicine are unpopular because they exist in a character vacuum with no interactions with others. I think the instrument tsukumogami have a similar problem, but it would be easy to fix. Maybe it won't be fixed, but it would be easy.

They've got the 3 of themselves to interact with and that already puts them in a better position than the stage 1-3 bosses of Touhou 14. But those early game bosses are still more popular because Touhou fans are weird and tend to like characters for arbitrary reasons separate from anything they actually do in canon.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They've got the 3 of themselves to interact with and that already puts them in a better position than the stage 1-3 bosses of Touhou 14. But those early game bosses are still more popular because Touhou fans are weird and tend to like characters for arbitrary reasons separate from anything they actually do in canon.

Well, that was sort of my point. Wriggle isn't unpopular because people like to stick her into a group dynamic, despite that having absolutely nothing to do with her as an individual. Her popularity has nothing to do with who she is, but rather who she's perceived as hanging out with. Nazrin and Ichirin are popular because they're part of the Myouren cast, people always have Parsee and Yuugi hanging out with each other because they're neighbors, etc. By sheer coincidence or unluckiness, the Aki sisters and Medicine just don't have anyone the fans have designated for them to hang out with.

As for the instruments, they're also new, which puts them in a bad position. EOSD characters aren't 50 times more popular than DDC ones because they're better characters, but because we've been exposed to them for so much longer. Also, I don't know about you, but even if there are three instruments I can't actually imagine them doing anything. They don't really have any personalities to bounce off each other... Having two sisters isn't really helpful when they're treated as a single unit (as the Akis can tell you).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Well, that was sort of my point. Wriggle isn't unpopular because people like to stick her into a group dynamic, despite that having absolutely nothing to do with her as an individual. Her popularity has nothing to do with who she is, but rather who she's perceived as hanging out with. Nazrin and Ichirin are popular because they're part of the Myouren cast, people always have Parsee and Yuugi hanging out with each other because they're neighbors, etc. By sheer coincidence or unluckiness, the Aki sisters and Medicine just don't have anyone the fans have designated for them to hang out with.

As for the instruments, they're also new, which puts them in a bad position. EOSD characters aren't 50 times more popular than DDC ones because they're better characters, but because we've been exposed to them for so much longer. Also, I don't know about you, but even if there are three instruments I can't actually imagine them doing anything. They don't really have any personalities to bounce off each other... Having two sisters isn't really helpful when they're treated as a single unit (as the Akis can tell you).

Oh, ok. I misunderstood you, that makes a lot more sense. Also explains why the people who do care about Medicine always have her hang out with Yuuka and Letty with Cirno despite there only being tenuous connections between them.

I feel like comparing the Tsukumo's to the Aki's is a bit of an exaggeration though, they're really more like the Prisimriver's mk 2. The Aki's have the problem of their most defining characteristic being "sisters" but one has no dialogue or personality thanks to being a midboss. At least the instruments all get lines and their designs are distinct enough from each other that you can at least get inklings of a personality. There's the cool more world-wise older figure, the calmer middle kid, and the more energetic younger one. It's not much at all but it's basically all the Prisimriver's had, and they're far more popular. I think, like you said, it's just due to it being a far more recent game, the Taoists and the Buddhists managed to avert this by basically having every character connected to the plot so even the early stage characters would be fought for a reason besides simply being in the way.

I wish they were more popular though because then maybe their themes would get remixed more often. Illusionary Joruri and Pristine Beat are some of Zun's best works.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
It's a shame because I like Medicine and her whole doll emancipation thing. It's refreshing to have an estranged outsider who's kind of bitter in a world that's usually a giant tea party. And there's the obvious angle of her meeting up with Alice. 'Tis a shame that the best character in the best game (:can:) dropped off the face of the earth.

The Prismrivers also have the whole storyline with Layla and becoming ghosts that adds a lot to their popularity, I think. It's not quite the same as the DDC sisters (though I haven't actually read the DDC dialogue...).

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

amuayse posted:

Zun actually likes Wriggle.
I think most of the attention Wriggle gets is because of the whole ambiguous gender shtick.

She's also a big Kamen Rider reference, so there's that too.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Gamerofthegame posted:

It really is true that there's a Touhou pic for everything. The chalkboard says "Draw a picture of the person in front of you"

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment
I've noticed a few artists on Tumblr really like Raiko, but I never see anyone talking about Benben and Yatsuhashi. I think those two are even less popular than the Prismrivers because they're even more thinly developed. ZUN literally describes them like this: "Benben plays the part of the cool, grown-up older sister, and Yatsuhashi plays the part of the hot-blooded, reckless younger sister" in the DDC omake txt. So they're tropes-- like a lot of other Touhou characters when they're first introduced. At least the Aki sisters had kind of an interesting relationship, each feeling superior to the other while Shizuha is secretly envious of her younger sister's popularity with humans.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I can't see how anyone could forget Raiko after listening to Pristine Beat. That drum solo, maaan :circlefap:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

dranxis posted:

I've noticed a few artists on Tumblr really like Raiko, but I never see anyone talking about Benben and Yatsuhashi. I think those two are even less popular than the Prismrivers because they're even more thinly developed. ZUN literally describes them like this: "Benben plays the part of the cool, grown-up older sister, and Yatsuhashi plays the part of the hot-blooded, reckless younger sister" in the DDC omake txt. So they're tropes-- like a lot of other Touhou characters when they're first introduced. At least the Aki sisters had kind of an interesting relationship, each feeling superior to the other while Shizuha is secretly envious of her younger sister's popularity with humans.

They haven't been in a data book yet, which is where the vast majority of characterisation exists for most characters. So it's not at all surprising that they're nothing more than a few weak tropes. They're just kind of a noteworthy case because it's usually about stage 4 that the bosses start to actually have vaguely unique personalities and they're only slightly more interesting than your average stage 1-2 boss.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They haven't been in a data book yet, which is where the vast majority of characterisation exists for most characters. So it's not at all surprising that they're nothing more than a few weak tropes. They're just kind of a noteworthy case because it's usually about stage 4 that the bosses start to actually have vaguely unique personalities and they're only slightly more interesting than your average stage 1-2 boss.

I think it's the fact that they come as a pair. Groups tend to have the same total amount of personality divided up among their members.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CommissarMega posted:

I can't see how anyone could forget Raiko after listening to Pristine Beat. That drum solo, maaan :circlefap:

To say nothing of all-but-literal rhythm action danmaku. I wish more ZUN bosses had creative wrinkles like that. Or like what Seija did, as infuriating as it was to actually deal with.

(Yes, I just admitted to wanting more gimmicky boss fights in Touhou as opposed to the standard stuff. One can only differentiate "okay this part is aimed, this is static, this is semi-random" so many times before it all blurs together into bland.)

Gamerofthegame posted:

I forget; was that intentional on ZUN's part, or something that evolved out of the fandom after Wriggle's newbie-ambush entry?

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 28, 2014

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

KataraniSword posted:

I forget; was that intentional on ZUN's part, or something that evolved out of the fandom after Wriggle's newbie-ambush entry?

She's a bug-motif character who enters the screen with a dynamic kick.

Pretty sure it was intentional.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
Ah but the Wriggle kick meme itself exists only because IN Stage 1 on Easy is so unthreatening every new player would naturally stay at the top of the screen, until the boss enters with a collision hitbox. It's not like she had a special kicking sprite.

Interpersonal relationships only matter to fans who have an emotional investment in the characters. There are non-geeks who haven't heard of Touhou, and know Touhou characters purely as internet culture icons. At that level, the characters have already become meaningless symbols, and all the lore details in the world wouldn't matter one bit. For example, Sanae and Nue are two of the most popular post-PCB characters, far eclipsing the Taoists and Buddhists, and most people must know them as "girl with frog and snake hair accessories" and "girl with asymmetrical wings"

For our not-so-popular characters, Medicine was adopted by Eirin in her ending, but this connection is tucked away in an ending most fans would never see.

I like Yatsuhashi more: by being idiotic enough to invent "impossible spell cards" that stretches the definition of legal danmaku in ISC Stage 1-1, she dragged all Gensokyoans into a 10-day escalating war between impossible danmaku and a desperate Seija armed with cheat tools :black101:. It literally was the constitutional crisis of Gensokyo. The way I see it, the crisis only ended when Yukari gave everyone an out by using a reasonable spell card in 10-10, so that Seija could beat her fair and square.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

AdorableStar posted:

I don't know what this is but that cover is amazing.
It's a listening CD for a Touhou-themed English textbook that I wrote and a bunch of artists illustrated. The CDs are recordings of the books read by native English speakers so it gives people who don't know English a better reference as to what words sound like.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So anyone knows what is happening here?

https://twitter.com/kenichiro_taka/status/549225044467912704

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
ZUN's always at some podcast, conference or meeting of sorts with people in gaming lately. Plus he has a ton of friends in the industry. It's probably just some roundtable discussion.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

That doesn't explain the shirtless guy.

Does it?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

ZUN is talking to the Senran Kagura people to learn their advanced boob technology.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

leather fedora posted:

It's a listening CD for a Touhou-themed English textbook that I wrote and a bunch of artists illustrated. The CDs are recordings of the books read by native English speakers so it gives people who don't know English a better reference as to what words sound like.

Please let whatever incarnation of the thread know if you ever make a 4th book, I have the first 3 sitting on my shelf.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh my.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

What am I seeing here.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder

the wildest rear end posted:

What am I seeing here.

not Mima

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

What am I seeing here.

Poster for the ULiL demo at Comiket. With Kasen on it. I've also seen a screenshot confirming she's playable.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

What am I seeing here.

Definitely not an oni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Clarste posted:

Poster for the ULiL demo at Comiket. With Kasen on it. I've also seen a screenshot confirming she's playable.

Yeah, that's what I thought it was.

Now I hope Yuugi is in it