Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

wouldn't have thought to double feature those two, but it's a neat idea.

Haven't done it yet. Just thought about it now and it seemed like a pretty great fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm on the second season of The X-Files and it's so drat good. The frame stories for each season are kind of meh (though they did a great job writing around Gilian Anderson's pregnancy in season 2), but the stand-alone episodes are really entertaining. It's fun to see them rip off The Silence of the Lambs or The Thing.

I found it lost complete steam after the movie season. Which I think is Season 6. But before that, it's too much fun

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah seasons 7-9 blow. The one with the t-2000 is hard to watch.

I'll check out Shooter. it sounds sort of interesting.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
After season 5 or so, the plot arc is irredeemable, but there's still a handful of good standalones.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"X-Cops" is in season 7 and is the best episode though.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Speaking of Gillian Anderson, is The Fall any good?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Boywhiz88 posted:

Speaking of Gillian Anderson, is The Fall any good?

Yes. It's a fairly unique detective show in that the murderer is the first character you are introduced to instead of being as in the dark as the police characters. Season 2 gets added Jan 16th, I think.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
If you're in the mood to watch Sylvester Stallone get beat up in a garage full of novelty cars by a man in a gimp mask and lycra bodysuit complete with cape and the scene is played completely straight and also Gimpman is the main character with a tragic backstory, you can't really go wrong with Death Race 2000.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Edminster posted:

If you're in the mood to watch Sylvester Stallone get beat up in a garage full of novelty cars by a man in a gimp mask and lycra bodysuit complete with cape and the scene is played completely straight and also Gimpman is the main character with a tragic backstory, you can't really go wrong with Death Race 2000.

And also gimpman is irl auto-erotic asphyxiation enthusiast David Carradine. God rest his gentle soul.

Death Race 2000 is an awesome movie. That said, I'm not sure anything in that movie is played completely straight.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Death Race 2000 is alot of things, most of them awesome, but "played" straight" it is not.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

david_a posted:

Yes. It's a fairly unique detective show in that the murderer is the first character you are introduced to instead of being as in the dark as the police characters. Season 2 gets added Jan 16th, I think.

I like plots like those, the cat and mouse aspect of it and how they put together the pieces. Like Silence of the Lambs

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I love Kurt Russell, and I finally got around to watching The Art of the Steal. I really liked it, and maybe I am just a fool, but I didn't see the ending coming.

It was pretty formulaic for most of the movie, and that is why I didn't guess the ending. They made Matt Dillon and Kurt Russell's girlfriend look so shady throughout that when when Dillon's character got burned in the end I was pretty happy and surprised. I sometimes get bored of happy endings in movies, but I was really pleased when this one was over.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I want to watch this 30 For 30, Big Shot, but Kevin Connolly is shrapnel to my brain.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Edminster posted:

I love posts like this where someone discovers a crazy bonkers cult classic.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Got really drunk one night and watched DEATH RACE 2000 and CHERRY 2000 back to back, starting at 2am. It was a weird and feverish night.

Both those movies own hard by the way.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rough Lobster posted:

Got really drunk one night and watched DEATH RACE 2000 and CHERRY 2000 back to back, starting at 2am. It was a weird and feverish night.

Both those movies own hard by the way.

Aw, you had me thinking Cherry 2000 was up.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah seasons 7-9 blow. The one with the t-2000 is hard to watch.

I'll check out Shooter. it sounds sort of interesting.

The Burt Reynolds episode in I think season 9 is the best episode of late-period X-Files.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Shooter is very good.

Is that the one that stars one of those pro-wrestlers and he uses an IV of sugar water after treating a wound? When I saw the trailers for it I thought it was poo poo, when I saw it it actually kinda captivated me. Although when I saw it I wasn't exactly in a very judgmental state of mind and it was all we had that night.

Also netflix would have a lot less disgruntled instant users if they had the balls to post a god drat list every month. This month Gladiator, Tombstone, Hotel Rwanda, Tim Burton's Batman (which they just added), the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Mad Max, Braveheart... ooo that just hurts to think about. Not to mention that's just me peaking at my list. I know it sounds entitled but poo poo, keep us in the know.

I think the best thing netflix could do would make it so when something goes off someone's personal list it's bookmarked as a DVD/BD. That way we keep our little list of movies and still have a way of viewing them. Netflix saves face on not having to post a list because whenever something is put on a personal list it's "bookmarked" at the same time in the disk library.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 28, 2014

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

NeoSeeker posted:

Is that the one that stars one of those pro-wrestlers and he uses an IV of sugar water after treating a wound? When I saw the trailers for it I thought it was poo poo, when I saw it it actually kinda captivated me. Although when I saw it I wasn't exactly in a very judgmental state of mind and it was all we had that night.

Also netflix would have a lot less disgruntled instant users if they had the balls to post a god drat list every month. This month Gladiator, Tombstone, Hotel Rwanda, Tim Burton's Batman (which they just added), the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Mad Max, Braveheart... ooo that just hurts to think about. Not to mention that's just me peaking at my list. I know it sounds entitled but poo poo, keep us in the know.

I think the best thing netflix could do would make it so when something goes off someone's personal list it's bookmarked as a DVD/BD. That way we keep our little list of movies and still have a way of viewing them. Netflix saves face on not having to post a list because whenever something is put on a personal list it's "bookmarked" at the same time in the disk library.
Shooter stars Mark Wahlberg although I had to double-check because John Cena also seemed plausible (I haven't seen it).

Netflix's queue is kind of weird - they invisibly keep movies in your queue when they get taken off and they magically reappear when re-added. How they get re-added seems pretty brain dead; I had grouped a movie with its sequel and suddenly one day there were two movies between them.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
You might be thinking of The Marine, which starred John Cena and also featured a scene in which he charged a machine gun nest holding a bulletproof vest in front of him to stop the bullets.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

You might be thinking of The Marine, which starred John Cena and also featured a scene in which he charged a machine gun nest holding a bulletproof vest in front of him to stop the bullets.

The logic is sound.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Sleeveless posted:

Please do not sell American hero John Cena short. He held up a bulletproof vest to stop bullets while driving a Camaro police cruiser towards a van full of people shooting at him.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah, it was pretty dumb now that I remember. I don't think I finished it.

Thank god the confusion is put to rest. Off to watch shooter.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The Marine is great as long as you treat it as a parody. The tone is all over the place.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Or chemically lobotomized.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Shooter is great, don't pass it up!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The Marine is great as long as you treat it as a parody. The tone is all over the place.

The good one is 12 Rounds. The Marine is sure something.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

As far as making a new list (shooter is now up, as I mistook it for The Marine) I have a bunch of asian crime dramas to watch. Outrage was my first because the guy from Battle Royale is in it. I love the guy, he goes off the hinge so calmly you can never tell what he's feeling.

Is Beyond Outrage any good? Ichi the Killer is on deck. I fuckin love yakuza movies.

And would the Station Agent cater to anyone who just loves pete dinklage?

For that matter is there anything going down that anyone strongly recommends?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 29, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

NeoSeeker posted:

As far as making a new list (shooter is now up, as I mistook it for The Marine) I have a bunch of asian crime dramas to watch. Outrage was my first because the guy from Battle Royale is in it. I love the guy, he goes off the hinge so calmly you can never tell what he's feeling.

Is Beyond Outrage any good? Ichi the Killer is on deck. I fuckin love yakuza movies.

If you liked Outrage, you owe Sonatine a watch.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

poo poo I had completely forgotten about my quest to watch that. Now it's on instant, thanks!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Watched The Machine last night. Really enjoyed it except for that old sci-fi chestnut of the comically evil military figurehead. Caity Lotz gave quite a good performance, which was surprising after watching her on Arrow.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Anonymous Robot posted:

If you liked Outrage, you owe Sonatine a watch.

Sonatine is really really good. Probably my favorite of Takeshi 'Beat' Kitano's movies. The scene where the yakuza toughs go to the beach and draw a circle in the sand and pretend to be paper sumos is a particular favorite.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

NeoSeeker posted:

If you haven't seen it, I quite liked Infernal Affairs. Be warned, since Scorsese completely lifted the exact plot for "The Departed" and moved it from Hong Kong to Boston, you will, in a sense, have seen the film before, there's only one significant change. I really liked it though, a lot more than I thought I would.

It's been on cable TV recently but the cable versions I recorded were dubbed into English (ugh). Even though I don't speak Cantonese I much prefer to hear the film in its intended language, with subtitles.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

NeoSeeker posted:

Yes.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I understand why people like Outrage but I thought it was really dumb and pointless. There's no reason to care about any of the characters beyond criminal archetypes that you like.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

North Korean favorite Simon Sez is on HBOgo. It was a religious experience in the empty theater for me.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

NeoSeeker posted:

Yes, with the caveat that the tone could not be more different from GoT. If you like slow paced, thoughtful, introspective character pieces then you'll love it. Peter Dinklage is great in it to be sure, but tonally it is much more akin to, say, The Man Who Wasn't There than to Game of Thrones or the "that wizard is from the moon!" video game he was in.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Do I really need to sit through three poor seasons of DS9 to get to the good poo poo?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The first three seasons of DS9 are a little rough but they're not, like, season 1 of TNG bad. It's a solid show from front to back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I don't think they even introduce the main antagonists in DS9 until the second season, and that's in like one episode by name. Three you're barely introduced to them. Then poo poo just hits the fan and it becomes this sci-fi wartime/conspiracy series with Star Trek races and space ships.

• Locked thread