Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
The Kickstarter hit its $75k stretch goal, which guarantees that a Trope API will be developed.

Chris and/or Drew posted:

Soon all of you programmers out there will be able to harness the troperverse for your own projects.

I'd rather not.

Oh, and more comments:

Aris Boch posted:

The only way this is not gonna be a waste of money is, when you somehow (I ain't no net-biz-man, you know more about bankrolling sites than I do by far) break free from Google Censorship (yeah, Google loves to censor and to support censorship. 1984 is on us! Big Brother is on us and it is not state, it's corporate, sometimes doing the state's dirty jobs (I'm talking about you, China. Or Germany)) and stop pussying out of anything that has more controversy in it.

Literal :pedophiles:, how lovely.

Tobo Boldwin posted:

I love TVTropes. It's my go to site if I want to learn something about a TV show/anime/book.

Concerning the targeted improvements, I agree with Aris. The most important step would be to get out of under the censoring thumb of Google. TVTropes libre!

BlueDude fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Literally anyone who opposed Google in that event was a pedophile.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Annointed posted:

Literally anyone who opposed Google in that event was a pedophile.

Be fair. Some of them were just into loving ponies.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Darth Walrus posted:

Be fair. Some of them were just into loving ponies.

It's generous of you to imply that that excludes the literal toddler ponies.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

im pretty sure even a regular MLP character is supposed to be a child

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Travis343 posted:

im pretty sure even a regular MLP character is supposed to be a child

I can speak on this because I have seen far too much of the first season-

The main characters of MLP are supposed to be young adults, each holding down their own jobs and living on their own- 19 to 24 kind of age.

However that is subject to change and the emotional maturity of the writing is skewed much younger for very obvious reasons.

So basically stop wanting to gently caress ponies. Stop it right now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
there are tropers that want to gently caress the ponies that are explicitly much younger than all the other ponies tho. no saving grace.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Burkion posted:

I can speak on this because I have seen far too much of the first season-

The main characters of MLP are supposed to be young adults, each holding down their own jobs and living on their own- 19 to 24 kind of age.

However that is subject to change and the emotional maturity of the writing is skewed much younger for very obvious reasons.

So basically stop wanting to gently caress ponies. Stop it right now.

Those Equestria Girls movies pretty much say the regulars are all high school aged.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

Those Equestria Girls movies pretty much say the regulars are all high school aged.

As said, season 1, where they all have jobs and poo poo.

I can't help what fresh pit of hell the show unleashed after

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Awesome, glad to read a debate about which ponies are legal

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Travis343 posted:

Awesome, glad to read a debate about which ponies are legal

There is no such debate. Merely a debate about lovely writing for an overrated cartoon.

And that people really shouldn't want to gently caress cartoon ponies.

Or ponies in general really.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Burkion posted:

There is no such debate. Merely a debate about lovely writing for an overrated cartoon.

And that people really shouldn't want to gently caress cartoon[...]s.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Are animes okay?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

BlueDude posted:

The Kickstarter hit its $75k stretch goal, which guarantees that a Trope API will be developed.

I'd rather not.

What would you even use it for? :psyduck:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

What would you even use it for? :psyduck:

Creating a new trope-based roguelike text adventure.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Don Gato posted:

Creating a new trope-based roguelike text adventure.

Binding of Isaac where you collect/become random tropes. Also rape.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Are animes okay?

Apparently.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I know there's gotta be a picture of a face on the big lump at the top but all I see is three triangles so it looks like he's snogging a bedsheet ghost.

Dire Chinchilla
Mar 27, 2013
Or an overweight member of the Ku Klux Klan.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
Relevant to the discussion about tropers and classic literature:

Creator/LittleKuriboh posted:

Few people can be credited with starting an entire genre. In 1818, Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein, launching the entire field of Science Fiction. In 1841, Edgar Allan Poe wrote "The Murders in the Rue Morgue", singlehandedly creating the Detective-Story genre.

...and in 2006, Little Kuriboh (born Martin Piers Billany) one of a few, blessed people, joined their ranks.

For fun, he made a Gag Dub of Yu-Gi-Oh!, but instead of doing the whole episode, he followed the abridging format of some online scripts. He called his video Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series, and thus The Abridged Series was born.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

But that's wrong.

Literally wrong in every sense of the word.

Does he not know what a genre is? There's a difference between a long recognized way of writing and I don't know a style of comedy. Wikipedia doesn't see talking over a cartoon a comedic style. It seems to be under parody as I know abridged series to be. So it would be a style in a genre in an already established method of humor. What an innovator of our times. I like LittleKuriboh but seriously troper stop worshiping producers.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Tropers are gonna worship anyone who can create anything that isn't a TVTropes tropes page or forum post.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Sober posted:

Tropers are gonna worship anyone who can create anything that isn't a TVTropes tropes page or forum post.

And no matter how many times that's been said in these threads it's still saddens me. Because creation is easy. Really easy. Anyone can make a scarf or a lego tower with a kit or make crude drawings with a pencil. Sure it'll likely be bad but there's joy in making. Even though that reminds me that tropers just want to have success and skill handed to them on a silver platter. Always the audience, never the actor.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Annointed posted:

And no matter how many times that's been said in these threads it's still saddens me. Because creation is easy. Really easy. Anyone can make a scarf or a lego tower with a kit or make crude drawings with a pencil. Sure it'll likely be bad but there's joy in making. Even though that reminds me that tropers just want to have success and skill handed to them on a silver platter. Always the audience, never the actor.

I think you may have stared into the Crappy Mawkish Abyss a little too long.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Annointed posted:

Maybe we've had it all wrong this entire time. Maybe the point of fiction isn't a way for people to try to come to terms with or evaluate various subjects or morality and society, or as a way to evaluate the human condition or anything like that ... maybe it really is just all about the tropes.

OH GOD WHAT HAVE I BEEN DOING WITH MY LIFE UP UNTIL THIS POINT?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ague Proof posted:

Like this troper would have ever heard of Macbeth if not for the play.

I prefer the Orson Welles film myself, which would have you believe that Inverness is a doom fortress atop a mountain. Historical immersion ruined.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I have not paid attention to TvTropes for many years, glad to see that they still bitch and whine about the pedo purge.

Did anyone on there expressed strong opinions about the ending of Legend of Korra? Back when I was reading the original mock thread, there were definitely a lot of tropers who would be very upset and rant about what is the telos of eros. Also, about feminism.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I've only skimmed the reviews page of Korra post-finale, but it seemed like it was mostly people complaining about how their relationship wasn't made more explicit obvious before the ending. I'd imagine there's potential gold nuggets to be found that I skipped over, though.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
The Kickstarter's been funded at a bit over $100,000, hitting a stretch goal that allows production of a third season of Echo Chamber. Remember Echo Chamber? Nobody in this thread does, apparently.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

I've only skimmed the reviews page of Korra post-finale, but it seemed like it was mostly people complaining about how their relationship wasn't made more explicit obvious before the ending. I'd imagine there's potential gold nuggets to be found that I skipped over, though.

I'm curious how much overlap there is between the "ugh, why's everybody got to read gay into Korra and Asami's interactions" crowd and the "ugh, Korra and Asami's relationship came out of nowhere" crowd.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MechaCrash posted:

I'm curious how much overlap there is between the "ugh, why's everybody got to read gay into Korra and Asami's interactions" crowd and the "ugh, Korra and Asami's relationship came out of nowhere" crowd.

You know exactly how much overlap there is.

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster

DoctorWhat posted:

You know exactly how much overlap there is.

didn't read any of this thread and i REFUSE to just wanted to say your avatar is gay and if its you then LOL

namaste

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Out of curiosity, I went to the site and typed Legend of Korra into the search box. The first (non-ad) hit? The page for "Ho Yay." Curious, I clicked on it. Not a single mention of Asami.

The page for the show did not show up at all in those search results, but I got "reviews" and "headscratchers" and poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MechaCrash posted:

Out of curiosity, I went to the site and typed Legend of Korra into the search box. The first (non-ad) hit? The page for "Ho Yay." Curious, I clicked on it. Not a single mention of Asami.

The page for the show did not show up at all in those search results, but I got "reviews" and "headscratchers" and poo poo.

No you see Ho-Yay is specifically for gay men. You're looking for Les-Yay for lesbian couples.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

MechaCrash posted:

Same here. Hot link the page when the user types the title correctly in the search box? That's crazy talk. Pages of raunchy gay speculation is where the money's at.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

Ho Yay is supposed to be for hysterical fandom bullshit, not canon gay couples or subtext. The sort of stuff the Supernatural fandom's marinated in, for instance.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Annointed posted:

But that's wrong.

Literally wrong in every sense of the word.

Does he not know what a genre is? There's a difference between a long recognized way of writing and I don't know a style of comedy. Wikipedia doesn't see talking over a cartoon a comedic style. It seems to be under parody as I know abridged series to be. So it would be a style in a genre in an already established method of humor. What an innovator of our times. I like LittleKuriboh but seriously troper stop worshiping producers.

The best/worst part is that kuriboh wasn't even the first person to do the whole "overdubbed re-edited anime footage parody" thing either, nerds have been doing that as long as video editing software has been available on the internet.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

No you see Ho-Yay is specifically for gay men. You're looking for Les-Yay for lesbian couples.

Last I checked, "Les Yay" just redirected to "Ho Yay" anyway. The page did feature Korra, but her with Lin or Jinora or basically anybody except the one she actually wound up with. However...

Darth Walrus posted:

Ho Yay is supposed to be for hysterical fandom bullshit, not canon gay couples or subtext. The sort of stuff the Supernatural fandom's marinated in, for instance.

So I guess that explains that!

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

MechaCrash posted:

Last I checked, "Les Yay" just redirected to "Ho Yay" anyway. The page did feature Korra, but her with Lin or Jinora

The 12 year old? Last I checked Korra was like 16 and not even 14 like Katara was. Goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Killjoy posted:

The 12 year old? Last I checked Korra was like 16 and not even 14 like Katara was. Goddamnit.

Eighteen. Twenty-one as of the final season. That's TVTropes for you, I guess.

And yeah, Korra and Asami used to have a huge section before the 'holy poo poo the fans weren't just imagining things, they actually went through with it' series finale.

• Locked thread