Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So I'm thinking Colonel Cumpa is going to assassinate the Space Pope next episode and blame it on the Moon people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

So I'm thinking Colonel Cumpa is going to assassinate the Space Pope next episode and blame it on the Moon people.

There is no way Pope survives the series.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
If anything Mask can be similar to Gyunei in CCA who was mocked for bring bad at times for only being a cyber newtype instead of a full one. Of course its a movie but they dont hammer it in ir anything. It motivated him to show he could be better than the rest.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I hope Steer continues to take off her normal suit, for no reason.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

I hope Steer continues to take off her normal suit, for no reason.

A lot of guys on the internet do too. Giggity.

Speaking of Steer, nothing did come out of her moment with Aida, huh?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

A lot of guys on the internet do too. Giggity.

Speaking of Steer, nothing did come out of her moment with Aida, huh?

I'm one of them!!

I hope that scene eventually gets expanded, just because I like steer and want to know more about her.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I want a side episode that's just steer and gisela and the nurse lady and tailor lady having a fun day together.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Steer is a fun character and it'd be cool if she got more screentime but if she doesn't, that's also fine.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

I like Ringo, he's a cutie. I want him to join the Megafauna crew, but I already know he's just going to get killed off or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jellycat posted:

I like Ringo, he's a cutie. I want him to join the Megafauna crew, but I already know he's just going to get killed off or something.

He isn't in the ED, not even in the conga line. He's so dead.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

If you want more Ringo, you can just watch F91. He's in like two or three scenes.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

ImpAtom posted:

I know. I know. Sigh...

MonsieurChoc posted:

If you want more Ringo, you can just watch F91. He's in like two or three scenes.

F91 is one of the only UC things I haven't seen yet for whatever reason, so I guess I should do this!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand, both Dellensen and Cahill are in it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

On the other hand, both Dellensen and Cahill are in it.

That's what I mean. He's less important than those guys.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

That's what I mean. He's less important than those guys.

Well, he already avoided G-Self shooting him in the stomach.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't want this to be true, so I checked the ED, 'cause I didn't exactly look closely before and... yeah, it's even got that high strung blond Towasanga ace, so it's not like they don't have Towasanga guys.

:smith:

But on the bright side, I never noticed Mask doing a loving split sticking his leg straight up in the air, while all the other dudes just do a kind of halfhearted kick, so that's hilarious. Belri's making a spirited attempt too, in comparison to everyone else.

I can't believe how much I love all the characters in this show, now that I think about it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I love how apparently the Towasangan combat uniform under their normal suit includes an ascot.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Ringo looks like an escaped Inovade.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Saying a racist thing is doing a racist thing.

Like even if absolutely no racism exist. If everyone was 100% equal and everything was great? If a child grows up constantly having someone degrade them and insult them and use their heritage as shorthand for something distasteful? That's still racist as poo poo, even if they don't have an iota of other suffering in their life.

Here's how you can easily tell the Kuntala thing is a prevalent long-held rascist stigma; Everywhere they go, in separate conversations amongst people from a wide spectrum of status, nationality and position, they all poo poo on the Kuntala with derogatory remarks. That says more than any blatant act ever could.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This was the second-whitest derail about racism I've ever read.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Ringo looks like an escaped Inovade.

He knew where S2 was going and jumped ship before it got bad.

Sharkopath posted:

I'm one of them!!

I hope that scene eventually gets expanded, just because I like steer and want to know more about her.

We need more badass ship maneuvering and random engrish command echos.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

I want a side episode that's just steer and gisela and the nurse lady and tailor lady having a fun day together.

If we get a hot springs episode I'm blaming it on you.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

John Carstairs posted:

I'll try to translate some more of it if I get time later.

Here's the Grimoire bits, because the Grimoire is also totally sweet:

Gundam Ace Feb 2015 Issue posted:

Grimoire

* There were many variations of the head. There was even one with twenty eyes, but, as you can imagine, Tomino told us, "that's too many."
* It took quite a while to work out the Grimoire('s design). Akira Yasuda, Kenichi Yoshida, and Shigeto Koyama drew ideas at each mecha meeting, and I distilled the design from those.
* Akira Yasuda adjusted the proportions around the chest and added the glowing bits and rotating thrusters on the skirt, among other things. His method of incorporating and displaying mecha details taught me a lot.
* It hasn't been shown in the anime, but the cockpit block in the stomach area is designed to be removable.
* That their weaponry, the hand grenades (made from explosive Photon Batteries), plasma knives, beam wires, et cetera, seems like equipment used by special forces teams is intentional. In "Mobile Suit Gundam," you can see shades of the WWII military, so from modern militaries, we used special forces equipment for reference.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

John Carstairs posted:

Here's the Grimoire bits, because the Grimoire is also totally sweet:

Neat, I've also seen a bunch of the old designs for the grimoire, some of them are pretty crazy.

Today is a special screening of I think episodes 7 and then 13-15, which becuase of the new year won't air until next week.

Tomino's been out and about and doing a bunch of signing stuff, here's him with the VA for Aida, Klim, Mask, and Bellri.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Can he do Mask's high kick?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Whoah.

Im jealous, I want one of the mask masks.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I just did a marathon of episode 4-14 and I don't even know how to feel about this show. The pacing and the storytelling is all over the place.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The new OP is amazingly bad, it's hilarious.

Raraiya's sudden, dramatic recovery from broken phrases and scattered moments of clarity to full on sentences and complete consciousness probably should have been eyeraising, but at this point G-Reco has trained me to just accept poo poo like that. Ditto for everyone's reactions to her being just "oh that's cool". Meanwhile Mask and Klim are really starting to develop as characters. It's nice that even in this huge cast, there isn't a single character I really dislike. Nice group dynamics too.

I like how the G-Self is actually using its vast wardrobe of backpacks as needed. Tricky, Flight, and High Torque will probably have to wait till the cast returns to Earth, but Reflector, Space, and Assault look to be getting a good showing in the meantime.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

I just did a marathon of episode 4-14 and I don't even know how to feel about this show. The pacing and the storytelling is all over the place.

Here's how to feel: it's good.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I like it but it is still weird to watch. Is the only reason the g-self gets a new pack every episode is to sell kits?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Raraiya's sudden, dramatic recovery from broken phrases and scattered moments of clarity to full on sentences and complete consciousness probably should have been eyeraising, but at this point G-Reco has trained me to just accept poo poo like that. Ditto for everyone's reactions to her being just "oh that's cool". Meanwhile Mask and Klim are really starting to develop as characters. It's nice that even in this huge cast, there isn't a single character I really dislike. Nice group dynamics too.

I like how the G-Self is actually using its vast wardrobe of backpacks as needed. Tricky, Flight, and High Torque will probably have to wait till the cast returns to Earth, but Reflector, Space, and Assault look to be getting a good showing in the meantime.

Raraiya's been getting progressively better since she's been in space pretty much, stuff where in like 13 she called the elevator for everybody.

The weird part about that scene was that seeing Dorette was what shocked her back into lucidity, and she had a plain conversation with Noredo, pointing out both her own role in the Towasangan military but also the ranks of all the assembly that she knew, but the CONGRATULATIONS RARAIYA bit happened way after that, and like why are you congratulating her for recognizing you and knowing your names, she's been doing that for a while.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sorry but "getting progressively better" doesn't mean going from 0 to 50 over 13 episodes and then straight to 100 in between episodes.

If you think it works then good for you, but I don't!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Actually her snap back to lucidity was a pretty clear point - she freaks the gently caress out the moment she hears the General's name while in the G-Selfs cockpit, and then fakes a fever to avoid going in with everyone else.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Aida's father also had a comment awhile back about how Raraiya is smarter than she seems.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Sorry but "getting progressively better" doesn't mean going from 0 to 50 over 13 episodes and then straight to 100 in between episodes.

If you think it works then good for you, but I don't!

She went from being catatonic to a state that was very close to her normal demeanor over the course of the show, and Dorette's name triggered something in her that brought the remainder of her memories back, it's not that weird.

Like she'd been speaking normal for the last handful of episodes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Unless muttering "Nobell and Chuchumy" is speaking normally, then she was still speaking broken dialogue in 13.

She manages some one/two word statements in 12, but she throws a fit over the Assault pack earlier on in very basic japanese so no good there either.

She has to be tied up in 11 to stop her from chasing the G-Self out into space, and quite literally only says "No!" the entire episode.

She parrots some stuff she's heard around the Megafauna in 10 and still has to be pacified with Chuchumy to get her to stop running around.

You get the point.

Flipping through the thread, I'm not really sure why you're all so dedicated to trying to prove that it's a natural growth. It's really not, it's slightly rushed like a bunch of other things in this show since corners have to be cut to make it fit in two cours. That's not a bad thing, it's just how it is.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I love Raraiya.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Flipping through the thread, I'm not really sure why you're all so dedicated to trying to prove that it's a natural growth. It's really not, it's slightly rushed like a bunch of other things in this show since corners have to be cut to make it fit in two cours. That's not a bad thing, it's just how it is.

It is a natural growth though. I mean you're perfectly free to dislike it but people have been talking about Raraiya recovering for a while now and there was a big dramatic event which prompted her recovery. It wasn't like she recovered with something prompting it.

The thing is that it isn't just her dialogue. You really have to pay attention to her actions. The way she acts in Episode 1-2 and the way she acted even before her recovery are markedly different. She acts more focused and responds to things differently. Characters comment on this onscreen and point it out. You can say "well, that doesn't count" but it was foreshadowed and developed.

It's also worth pointing out that recovered Raraiya is not a completely different character. She still acts silly, she still talks to Chuchumi, she still is weird. She just isn't suffering from the full effects of her injury. She is capable of remembering people and focusing but that doesn't mean she also isn't going to have G-Self freakouts, just that she might explain them better.

It isn't a genius super-awesome plot twist that blows your mind but it isn't really out of nowhere either. It's a pretty generic "big shock makes someone fully recover from amnesia" plot twist.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 29, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

I love Raraiya.

She seems like she will be an enjoyable character now that she's not Space Retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Since I have been out of the loop on this show since October how likely is it now that it is just leading up to Turn A?

• Locked thread