Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Little Mermaid might be viable, same with Pirates. Do you know specifically what freaks you out or is it just a general feeling of not comfortable?

I know I am good on Pirates because I have been to it before. It's the overhead water that weirds me out along with large creatures like whales and sharks (even the goofy Nemo shark startles me sometimes). The video of the Seas is enough to bring on the NOPE because I picture myself going through it.
When I was at Disney last time I was very freaked out while I rode Maelstrom because of the potential for scary sea stuff. It ended up being fine but wondering anxiously about it the whole time takes the enjoyment out of actually riding so that's why I was hoping for some insight about non obvious stuff. It's a very odd and specific (and annoying) fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Lincoln posted:

HEY BRAKSGIRL,

Do you know of a Disneyland version of this:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/disney-rates.htm

I'm trying to find a rack rate calendar for the Grand Californian.

Unfortunately, I do not. I've looked pretty much everywhere I have access to and I don't think such a thing exists. If I come across something, I'll post a link.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

Unfortunately, I do not. I've looked pretty much everywhere I have access to and I don't think such a thing exists. If I come across something, I'll post a link.

It used to but to the best of my knowledge that site has now closed. Unfortunately.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
In other Disney news: I have two weeks in a row of 51 hours of work. Happy Holidays! (I am actually kind of psyched because I got deployed to a new area annnnnd I hardly get close to 40 hours, so this is gonna be money in the bannnk)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

In other Disney news: I have two weeks in a row of 51 hours of work. Happy Holidays! (I am actually kind of psyched because I got deployed to a new area annnnnd I hardly get close to 40 hours, so this is gonna be money in the bannnk)

If it makes you feel better, the call center I've been dicking around at getting a job with scheduled me and several others for 72 hours one week and 84 hours the next. We're all quitting and going to Disney World for the holidays. Maybe you could meet up with us and... I... oh. Oh man. I'm sorry. :ohdear:

(for real though being overscheduled is awful I'm sorry dude, and yes the call center thing is real too)

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
After the week I've had, and the Saturday I'm doomed to endure, I might endeavor to sneak booze into the parks for the first time ever.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Word is the parks are a cluster right now. Godspeed goon..

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Uh yeah don't go to the park during a time like this. Unless you're trying to find more reasons to drink.

Me and my friends weren't paying attention to what time of the year it was, and went one day during spring break. Christ. The area where Peter Pan and Small World is, imagine two currents of water side by side, flowing in opposite directions. That's what it was like except it was a billion people and not water.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
How accurate are the refurbishment dates on WDWMagic.com?

I'm really hoping Splash Mountain opens back up a little early next month so that I don't miss it on my trip.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

demonR6 posted:

Word is the parks are a cluster right now. Godspeed goon..

Macaluso posted:

Uh yeah don't go to the park during a time like this. Unless you're trying to find more reasons to drink.

Me and my friends weren't paying attention to what time of the year it was, and went one day during spring break. Christ. The area where Peter Pan and Small World is, imagine two currents of water side by side, flowing in opposite directions. That's what it was like except it was a billion people and not water.

If some friends from out of town weren't coming in town we wouldn't be going, probably. It's going to be a poo poo show. The only other reason we're going is just to see the Christmas decor while we can before they take it down.

The wild card is that I'm really hoping we get insanely lucky that Downtown isn't too bad off in terms of foot traffic.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Downtown Disney is in much better shape now than in September. I also didn't find foot traffic too terrible tonight. Although there's also more room to maneuver now.

Although I'm determined to score a Baymax vinylmation.

We'll see how bad MGM and one other park are tomorrow.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

So getting deployed to the Transportation and Ticket Center for parking support was a blessing in disguise. I came in at 10am yesterday to start my shift, and the park as in phased closure by 10:45. I didn't have to deal with the crowds much at all. A friend posted a picture of Frontierland at like noon and it was just wall to wall people not moving. My idea of hell.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Are you staying at TTC?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

Are you staying at TTC?

No. I should, if things work they way they are supposed to, be going back to Fantasyland on the 4th.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Ha post the pic

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

So getting deployed to the Transportation and Ticket Center for parking support was a blessing in disguise. I came in at 10am yesterday to start my shift, and the park as in phased closure by 10:45. I didn't have to deal with the crowds much at all. A friend posted a picture of Frontierland at like noon and it was just wall to wall people not moving. My idea of hell.

We left to go to MK at 8:30, and never made it. The traffic was so bad that it took us nearly an hour from the I4 exit just to find somewhere to make a u-turn. So we just went home. MGM and Epcot the day before weren't too bad.

But you should post that pic.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Doronin posted:

We left to go to MK at 8:30, and never made it. The traffic was so bad that it took us nearly an hour from the I4 exit just to find somewhere to make a u-turn. So we just went home. MGM and Epcot the day before weren't too bad.

But you should post that pic.

Trying to go to MK on a Saturday is bad.. on a holiday worse, on this holiday in particular is the worst idea ever.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Found the photo.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Time to play my favorite easywdw game: Count the smiles

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Found the photo.

:stare:

dear god

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
As terrible as that is, it still makes me a little nostalgic for our vacation there last year over Christmas. I'm kind of broken inside I know

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Found the photo.

and that boys & girls is why you NEVER EVER COME TO DISNEY ON A MAJOR HOLIDAY EVER. Unless of course you enjoy being in a herd of cattle being groped by foreigners then by all means see you on Easter break.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Found the photo.

Holy crap. I don't see how you can enjoy yourself at all in that.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You don't. But gently caress all if Walt Disney management gives one single gently caress about the guest experience. If you were in that mess you would be absolutely miserable with a sea of people on all sides of you, horrific lines for everything.. food, rides, restroom, merchandise shops. God help them if something bad happens at one of the parks it would be pandemonium but hell if they will let the opportunity to lose out on making one single dollar because they did not let another person in.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Found the photo.

Holy. gently caress. Glad we gave up on that when we did.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

demonR6 posted:

Trying to go to MK on a Saturday is bad.. on a holiday worse, on this holiday in particular is the worst idea ever.

I've never had much problems with Saturdays in general, but no way we are braving a major holiday again.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

You don't. But gently caress all if Walt Disney management gives one single gently caress about the guest experience. If you were in that mess you would be absolutely miserable with a sea of people on all sides of you, horrific lines for everything.. food, rides, restroom, merchandise shops. God help them if something bad happens at one of the parks it would be pandemonium but hell if they will let the opportunity to lose out on making one single dollar because they did not let another person in.

We have been turning away quite a few people these past few days. It's just that MK has a pretty high capacity but the spaces can get narrow (especially in Frontierland after the parade rolls through, which is when I think that photo was taken)

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.
Heading to WDW with my girlfriend next week. We're from Toronto and my parents have a place near Fort Lauderdale, so we're staying there but making the 3-hour drive to Orlando on Sunday Jan 4. We're trying to keep it relatively cheap. Gonna stay at a cheapie hotel on Sunday night, but we booked Monday and Tuesday nights at All Star Sports and doing 3 days at the parks. It's the off season starting Monday the 5th so we got a good deal on the room, $68 USD a night so it's not much more than the cheap hotel I found and we get magic hours and can plan FastPass+ ahead of time.

I was at WDW about 10 years ago, and she was last there when she was 8 so it's been a while. I've been nerding out on researching and we settled on Magic Kingdom, Hollywood and Animal Kingdom. We're more interested in the rides and Epcot just wasn't doing it for us so we're skipping it.

Monday is MK. It's open 9 AM - 10 PM. I couldn't get FP+ for the 7 Dwarf thing so we're gonna make a beeline for that when the parks opens and go from there. I booked morning FP+ for Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear, and Thunder Mountain in the afternoon. After we ride Space Mountain and Buzz we can use the app to book whatever looks interesting.

Tuesday is Hollywood. You can only book FP+ for 1 of Rock n Roller Coaster or Toy Story Mania so I chose Toy Story in the afternoon. I think we'll head straight to Rock n Roller Coaster at open and ride that and Tower of Terror and go from there. We really want to see the Fantasmic show that ends the night at 7 PM so I booked a FP+ for Tower of Terror, which is right by the Fantasmic line, for around 6:30 so we can ride it and get straight into line.

Wednesday is Animal Kingdom. It opens at 8 AM for early magic hours. I booked the safari at 9:30 so I'm thinking that we could complete the Dinosaur area first thing in the morning, since it seems out of the way from the rest of the park, and then head to Africa for the safari and go from there. I also booked Everest and I'm waiting to see how the weather is before I book the river rapids. The park closes at 5 PM which is perfect for us since we have a long drive.

Is that a reasonable itinerary? I'm trying not to schedule too much but I'm trying to be strategic with the FP+ so we don't miss out on the big stuff. The whole FP+ system is pretty neat and I like that I can change it up on a smartphone app instead of going to the kiosks.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can non florida residents buy a Universal Annual Pass?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yes but I am pretty sure you won't get the Florida resident discount because they all require you to show a valid Florida ID.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

demonR6 posted:

Yes but I am pretty sure you won't get the Florida resident discount because they all require you to show a valid Florida ID.

This is correct.

To qualify for the FL discount you have to be a current resident with FL drivers license, or if you're working in FL and dont plan on living here permanently, you have to provide an employee ID with an address. Universal and Disney have about the same policy. Busch Gardens/SeaWorld will just take your word for it most times.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Unless you use the tried and true "look for the team member that looks like they don't give a poo poo method" which worked for me back in 2011. Got the Florida rate when I was on my college program even though I still had a California ID.

They may have since begun enforcing that more.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I would try Sea World, maybe Universal but since Potter is so strong now they may have tightened up their policies. Don't even try it at Disney, you'll get laughed at.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

A discount dropped this morning out of the blue. Again, I'll offer my services to anyone who wants help planning a vacation.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Hello Disney-loving goons!

Went on my second WDW trip of 2014 with my entire family last month, 13 of us in all, and had an incredibly fantastic time. I make a vacation video each year as a Christmas gift to my family, so I thought maybe you'd like to see this year's. I was able to integrate footage from the SDMT and ToT MemoryMaker videos, which was great video to take advantage of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm5HNKKqZrw
http://youtu.be/Tm5HNKKqZrw

Don't worry, it's not 30+ minutes of people wandering around airports and hotels with 5 minutes of interesting stuff. This is just under 5 minutes of all the best footage. Take a watch and let me know what you think!

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 29, 2014

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

geese posted:

Is that a reasonable itinerary? I'm trying not to schedule too much but I'm trying to be strategic with the FP+ so we don't miss out on the big stuff. The whole FP+ system is pretty neat and I like that I can change it up on a smartphone app instead of going to the kiosks.
That all looks reasonable, though Magic Kingdom always seems super busy on Mondays. I guess because that's the first thing people associate with Disney World and go there first? Or they want to visit it again at the end of a long weekend? No idea.

The holiday crowds should be pretty much gone by Tuesday, to the point where the lines will be short enough that you won't need a fast pass for many rides. They didn't have FP+ last time I went (and there's no harm in using it), but it was during a similar time of year, and most lines ranged from 5 minutes down to "you don't have to get off Test Track if you don't want to -- go around again?". There are a few exceptions, especially the coasters in Magic Kingdom.

Try to get on the earliest Safari possible at Animal Kingdom. Even better if you can get it on an early Magic Hours day. The animals are fed right before the parks open, so a lot of them are more active during that first safari. Last time I went, we had a giraffe decide to take a nap right in the middle of the train track. Later in the day, a lot of the animals are asleep.

For that matter, you may not need all day at Animal Kingdom. The only significant thing they've added since I last visited is Expedition Everest, and I felt like I saw everything in the park after about half a day.

Personally, I think you're crazy for skipping Epcot; it's my favorite park. Sure, it's lighter on rides (but Test Track is cool, and Mission Space is neat if it doesn't make you barf). However, the World Showcase is huge and awesome, and it has many of the best restaurants inside of a park. Epcot is also worth it just for the spectacular aquarium at The Seas.

As an adult with no kids, I'd sooner skip the Magic Kingdom. I like Big Thunder Mountain, and the dwarf mine train thingie sounds cool, but Space Mountain just gives me an aching neck, and Splash Mountain is nine minutes of boring followed by five seconds of fun followed by half an hour of "I really wish I were dry". Most of the other stuff in MK is more targeted at children.

I hope you enjoy your visit! My wife and I are planning a trip back in the fall, and we're really excited. I get more out of the food than the rides these days though.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Saturdays are the no-go day for MK being the busiest in the week. I am only using my in-law's guidance since he works the parks and has an idea what the guest volume is. Whenever we do family events he firmly says hell no to MK on Saturdays. In our experience being CM's in the past and present AP holders, MK feels much more busy on Friday/Saturday than other days, holidays notwithstanding since it is a hell-hole right now.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Both times I've gone to MK on a Monday morning it was insanely busy compared to the other parks, and it was relatively light later in the week. I've heard the same thing from friends, but it's still a pretty small sample size.

The only other major thing is to avoid parks with morning extra magic hours (unless you're trying for an early morning Safari at Animal Kingdom), because people tend to flock there first. I'd rather spend that extra hour or two having a nice breakfast and going to a less crowded park.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Braksgirl posted:

A discount dropped this morning out of the blue. Again, I'll offer my services to anyone who wants help planning a vacation.

Thanks for posting this. They weren't able to give us the deal, but gave us an even bigger discount just for calling in :shrug:

They must know we will just spend that money in the parks anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Reservations for two at BOG on my birthday opened up long enough for my wife to yell "OMG reservations opened at BOG!" and when she clicked, they were gone. RIP my birthday dinner.