Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Reynold posted:

A wonderful paint job as usual, sir, but I just can't get over how terrible those treads are. I'm mostly a GW model/parts purist (for whatever reason), but I just HATE the treads on that vehicle.

Come to think of it, the whole drat thing really. I'd have to try to find a 28mm scale halftrack or something.

the treads seem to make some sort of sense when the army is painted up all snowy like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cataphract posted:

the treads seem to make some sort of sense when the army is painted up all snowy like.
Why is the snow on the treads where it gets crushed then, and not anywhere else on the tank? This bugs me. It'd be 10x better without the snow.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Just sold a bunch of stuff and bought another installment for my AdMech (thank you Hencoe for helping me with that magos). Can't wait to use a Krios Venator/actually get to use the bullshit Triaros.

I do hope you double checked the pictures to make sure, just in case I messed that up. Both tanks are rad but fragile past that front arc.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

edit number whatever: does anyone have any pointers for putting the legs on Thallax? They always look way too close together and it's weird.

The legs are marked for each hip, just make sure you do them first, then the torso.

VVV yep, there are dots on the joint that match to the hips.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 29, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Hencoe posted:

I do hope you double checked the pictures to make sure, just in case I messed that up. Both tanks are rad but fragile past that front arc.

The legs are marked for each hip, just make sure you do them first, then the torso.

I spent a lot of time squinting at photos of Myrmidons, don't worry.

Do you mean each leg pair goes to a specific hip? That might be the problem I was having.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

SRM posted:

I've got a ride for my first Stormtrooper squad now:
The new Stormtroopers and their rides look so much better painted in "gritty, realistic" schemes than in the silly official blue color. Even the treads look better than usual, especially given the snowy theme. Nice work!

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Why is the snow on the treads where it gets crushed then, and not anywhere else on the tank? This bugs me. It'd be 10x better without the snow.
It wasn't being snowed on. I drove my car to the store not three hours ago through several inches of snow on the ground. It's not snowing, so the top is clear - but the wheels and bottom are covered in muck. It's actually not unusual to get a big accumulation of snow in the back or sides of the wheel well, which will eventually fall off with a messy clunk like an automotive turd.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PeterWeller posted:

Looks great, but I am super surprised you didn't go with the missiles for full scale WW2 Soviet stylings.
The next one has those Katyusha-esque rockets on the back!

Pierzak posted:

It's supposed to be driving over snow, so there's some snow stuck in and around the treads. The snow is a lot less bright now that it's dried, and it looks more like the treads on my other vehicles.

BuffaloChicken posted:

The new Stormtroopers and their rides look so much better painted in "gritty, realistic" schemes than in the silly official blue color. Even the treads look better than usual, especially given the snowy theme. Nice work!
Thanks! While a lot of folks complained about the Taurox when it came out, I thought the dinky treads would look good for a snowfaring vehicle. If I was painting it in a different scheme, I'd probably get some of the conversion wheels that folks keep putting out. And that official baby blue scheme sure is silly. I think if they debuted the Taurox in even the standard Cadian green it would have gone over way better.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Hencoe posted:

VVV yep, there are dots on the joint that match to the hips.

Where on the hip joint are the dots? I find them on the legs but didn't see any on the hips.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cataphract posted:

It's still got the problem where the design of the treads and their relationship to the body make it seem more like a toy than a practical vehicle, even by 40k standards. If it was something like

then it'd be a lot better in my book.

That said, absolutely can't fault SRM's paint job.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Where on the hip joint are the dots? I find them on the legs but didn't see any on the hips.

I might be mis-remembering if it had specific hips (I got mine when the castellax came out), I'm looking at them and I dont see any real difference, I just did the lower half pretty much all at once and held it how i wanted it to sit on the base. Sorry I cant be of more help.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Triangle wheels, Rhombus wheels - both look just as silly. Can't we all just get along?!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hey guys, I'm not really keeping up on the thread lately, but wanted to drop in and say that if anyone is looking for one of those small plasma balls I used for a vortex marker and BuffaloChicken used for a void shield generator, I have a small stash of them that I'm willing to sell for less than you will find them elsewhere (my project decreased in scope quickly) and you can just drop me a PM if you are interested, yes? Yes!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Reynold posted:

A wonderful paint job as usual, sir, but I just can't get over how terrible those treads are. I'm mostly a GW model/parts purist (for whatever reason), but I just HATE the treads on that vehicle.

Come to think of it, the whole drat thing really. I'd have to try to find a 28mm scale halftrack or something.

There are quite a few options to change the tracks. Zinge sells both wheeled conversion kits, and track units more like that Hummer picture. Victoria sells an awesome wheeled APC conversion kit. Blood and Skulls has a 6 wheel conversion kit.

I think there are more but can't remember them off hand.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

NTRabbit posted:

There are quite a few options to change the tracks. Zinge sells both wheeled conversion kits, and track units more like that Hummer picture. Victoria sells an awesome wheeled APC conversion kit. Blood and Skulls has a 6 wheel conversion kit.

I think there are more but can't remember them off hand.

I've got the blood and skulls kit, it owns but it cannot be used to make a half track straight out of the box as the wheels are taller

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

PantsOptional posted:

I'm looking into getting a Stormtalon but I just can't stand the way it looks. Is there anywhere that offers a conversion kit to make it a little more like an actual plane, or does everyone just improvise their own conversions?

GIS "Stormtalon conversion." There are plenty of ways of doing it, some people use the rudders from the drop pod kit.

Some people are colorblind, too.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Who even fights in space in 40k?

If I had any sort of patience for making terrain I would make a Rok board with multiple vertical corridors. One of the Chicago Games Day events had a pick up and play station with Guardsmen versus Orks in a boarding action, it was one of the most fun things I have experienced related to 40k. Guardsmen versus Orks is the best matchup in the game, made even more fun by the edition of elevators and such.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 29, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Combat on one of those Starcraft style orbiting platforms would be pretty cool

Srsly though, SRM and BuffaloChicken for Ham of the year 2014

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 29, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This just showed up in the latest Forge World bulletin:

:confused: What? :confused:

Edit: What we can see of the top half basically looks like what would happen if the Imperium built a Mad Cat. Giant autocannons, entombed corpse-pilot, and all. I am not sure if this is a good thing.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 29, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Not keen on the boob-marine chest, but the arms and missile racks look awesome.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Safety Factor posted:

One of the other dreadnoughts from epic I guess? That's where the Contemptor came from.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

GIS "Stormtalon conversion." There are plenty of ways of doing it, some people use the rudders from the drop pod kit.

Some people are colorblind, too.

Okay those are some pretty good conversions. The second one almost looks like a dwarf A10, probably should've put the front missile pods there instead I think.

Speaking of Taurox, once Zinge comes out with their wheel kit and it turns out to be good I am definitely getting one to turned into a wheeled MRAP.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
So with the rumored Necron codex incoming, maybe, possibly. I have started up a Necron test scheme based on my old Slaanesh marines I did ages ago.

and original marines I tested on ages ago.

So keen to start pumping out pink and cream Necron warriors all over the place.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Definitely going to have to see another angle on that Dreadnought, but the idea of a Mortis+++ which just has ridiculous amounts of firepower is pretty boss. You might be able to swap out the torso anyway, we'll have to see what the overall kit looks like.

drat, FW have been killing it these past few years. Bizarre to think what they used to be like.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lord Twisted posted:

Bizarre to think what they used to be like.

Explain? "These past few years" is as long as I've been in this hobby. Did FW used to suck or something?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm browsing old catalogues, and so far it most resembles something called an 'Imperial Contemptor Robot' nope, zoomed the image in, not a match

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 29, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

Edit: What we can see of the top half basically looks like what would happen if the Imperium built a Mad Cat. Giant autocannons, entombed corpse-pilot, and all. I am not sure if this is a good thing.

Can't wait for the Chaos version where those autocannons are Heavy 2, twin linked, range 36"

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

JerryLee posted:

Explain? "These past few years" is as long as I've been in this hobby. Did FW used to suck or something?

Not bad, just a bit bland with some cool looking vehicles. They were expensive (still are), and were completely unincorporated into normal 40K (no real indicator of how to fit things into FoC, or whether something was suitable for "normal 40k" or not).

Releases were also slow as balls. Weren't any monthly updates then!

Now its far more mainstream and "accepted" to have FW in your army.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Safety Factor posted:

You've got it all wrong, it's White Glint out of Armored Core: For Answer

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Post 9-11 User posted:

Can't wait for the Chaos version where those autocannons are Heavy 2, twin linked, range 36"

I can't wait for the AdMech version with ER PPCs.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Played some rad games of 40k yesterday with some rad dudes--ANAmal.net and Shadow Daishi.

The first game was 2500 pts, me (Iron Warriors, Unbound) vs. ANAmal (Dark Angels) and Daishi (Space Wolves). I basically brought the house with 2 Warpsmiths and 8 Heavy Support Choices (3 Vindicators, Forgefiend, Land Raider, Havocs, Defiler, Obliterators). This game saw the Dark Angels and Space Wolves forces putting aside their differences to assault a fortified Iron Warriors position in the middle of a ruined city.

Deployment:

Moving around:

poo poo's about to go down:

Overall, a fun game, but I narrowly lost when Daishi was able to drop a squad in my deployment zone at the end of the game to get line breaker. Those Space Wolves flyers are hard to bring down!

The second game was a smaller affair -- 1,250 points with me and ANAmal vs. Daishi this time around. White Panthers and Dark Angels vs. Space Wolves fighting over control of an old air strip in the desert. This one was a bit more lop-sided as we got savaged by SW flyers, especially after they took out all of our Skyfire units. A lucky shot on the LRC in Turn 4 sealed the deal.

E: The whole album, for those interested: http://imgur.com/a/MfPEQ

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 29, 2014

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Post 9-11 User posted:

Yeah, I had seen those but I had hoped there might be a prefab kit out there. I think I'll likely end up using the drop pod rudder conversion in the end, and move the missiles to under the wings.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Played some rad games of 40k yesterday with some rad dudes--ANAmal.net and Shadow Daishi.

The first game was 2500 pts, me (Iron Warriors, Unbound) vs. ANAmal (Dark Angels) and Daishi (Space Wolves). I basically brought the house with 2 Warpsmiths and 8 Heavy Support Choices (3 Vindicators, Forgefiend, Land Raider, Havocs, Defiler, Obliterators). This game saw the Dark Angels and Space Wolves forces putting aside their differences to assault a fortified Iron Warriors position in the middle of a ruined city.

Deployment:

Moving around:

poo poo's about to go down:

Overall, a fun game, but I narrowly lost when Daishi was able to drop a squad in my deployment zone at the end of the game to get line breaker. Those Space Wolves flyers are hard to bring down!

The second game was a smaller affair -- 1,250 points with me and ANAmal vs. Daishi this time around. White Panthers and Dark Angels vs. Space Wolves fighting over control of an old air strip in the desert. This one was a bit more lop-sided as we got savaged by SW flyers, especially after they took out all of our Skyfire units. A lucky shot on the LRC in Turn 4 sealed the deal.

Table owns, models own, games owned. Trying to take on two Space Wolfs Jets with a single Flakk missile was probably a bad strat, but even when the things dropped into hover we still couldn't hit poo poo (two turns of our entire army firing at the same jet, and we did exactly one hull point), so whatever.

This was my contribution to the first game:

I got more compliments on Dice Crater than I ever have for my painting or tactics, which is probably about right.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
If I take two Triaros (Triarii?), how huge of an rear end in a top hat am I being?

Also, has anyone got a response from FW about the Cybertheurgy relic?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheChirurgeon posted:

Deployment:

No offense, but this reminds me of the game I played over the weekend. Orks + tyranids vs necrons + blood angels. UGH! We had a cool looking board made of the plastic plants you would usually put in fish bowls with a couple short rock formations. My tyranids and the ork trucks were forced behind the terrain we could get, seeing as nothing blocked line of site. Having first turn I left my genestealers a little out of terrain but still in range of the malenthropes. Of course they seize initiative and manage to kill half my army because you can barely see the toe of a model through the plants.
Didn't help that the orks immobilized three trukks and a battlewagon with a deffrolla on the first turn.

What I'm saying is that bad dice rolls on the first turn are demoralizing.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Toxicrene assembly status report: The "correct" way to build the model where all arms and legs correctly fit their socket shapes has the tendril arms droop literally 3" below where the base/table would be. If you don't put them arms/legs into the sockets in the "correct" way the pieces have noticeable detail missing or have obvious holes where it was intended to fit into the socket against the body of the model.

I love the look of the model but this is a very terrible design flaw and has made me mad accordingly. I now have to go hunt down some tree bark to make as rocks for the base so the model can rise to the level to actually be fieldable on a table. :sigh:

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

That dread may or may not have the ballin' Siccarius Accelerator cannons.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So, I'm working on my AdMech list.

HQ
Magos Prime + Arch-Magos + Djinn-skein + Myrmidax + phased plasma-fusil + phased plasma-fusil + Abeyant + corposant stave + cortex controller
265 points

Magos Dominus
65 points

Magos Dominus
65 points

Troops
Thallax Cohort + 3x Heavy Chainblades + photon thruster + Destructor
200 points

Thallax Cohort + 3x Heavy Chainblades + photon thruster + Destructor
200 points

Castellax + Enhanced targeting array + power blades
110 points

Castellax + Enhanced targeting array + power blades
110 points

Castellax + Enhanced targeting array + power blades + multi-melta
330 points

Designated Transports
Triaros Armored Conveyor + Blessed autosimulacra
140 points

Triaros Armored Conveyor + Blessed autosimulacra
140 points

Heavy Support
Thanatar + Enhanced targeting array
255 points

Thanatar + Enhanced targeting array
255 points

Krios Venator + Volkite Sentinel (2)
Krios Venator + Volkite Sentinel (2)
360 points

I'm kind of happy with my list where it is at 2.5k points, but I'm a little worried about the jump to 3k. At 3k is when I'll probably start seeing the 'big' super-heavies, and I'm not too sure how to deal with them. The Krios and the multi-melta squad are my primary AT, but I'm a little worried about armor saturation when I'm dealing with super-heavies and 'basic' armor at the same time. I haven't done the math yet, but I think I'll be able to fit in a Knight and another Krios at 3k, which could help, but I'm still not sure.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

Toxicrene assembly status report: The "correct" way to build the model where all arms and legs correctly fit their socket shapes has the tendril arms droop literally 3" below where the base/table would be. If you don't put them arms/legs into the sockets in the "correct" way the pieces have noticeable detail missing or have obvious holes where it was intended to fit into the socket against the body of the model.

I love the look of the model but this is a very terrible design flaw and has made me mad accordingly. I now have to go hunt down some tree bark to make as rocks for the base so the model can rise to the level to actually be fieldable on a table. :sigh:

I have built two and haven't had this problem. Granted I don't have the instructions anymore to tell.

There are two ways to build the torso; a low way and a tall way. The low way won't work, and is probably were you are having your problems. On the right leg the "hip bone" should just be above the thigh carapace. If the "hip bone" is even with the carapace it's the low way.

EDIT: By the way, the model looks okay without the terminator and should assemble fine.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Safety Factor posted:

The pointy chest does also seem to be hiding yet another gun (heavy bolter?). I really want to see more of the legs cause at the moment it looks a bit... boat-like.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

You guys are hamming it up right. That table is really nice looking while still allowing a lot of play. How did you do the landing strip?

I've got three games with three different folks scheduled between now and the 4th, and I'm pretty excited about it. The only war or ham I've gotten up to over the past few weeks was beating my sister at Monopoly for the first time in 24 years and having ham for dinner on Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Safety Factor posted:

It looks like a Mad Cat and a Rifleman IIC had a baby. In the Imperium.

• Locked thread