Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ballz posted:

Well to give them a slight bit of credit, it's then followed up with a prompt asking you to put in a specific word from a specific page of one of the books.

I've been doing my re-read of AFFC/ADWD using this order. Aside from the occasional perspectives doubling up on each other, it's amazing how much better it all flows.

I was actually reading that they were a single book originally (called A Feast for Crows), but the manuscript got so massive that it couldn't feasibly be a single book, so it was split by characters rather than in half. Given that, I wonder if A Ball of Beasts could really be considered the true order, one that we only didn't get because no one wants to put a 2000-page book together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Sort of... it was a bit more complex than that.

GRRM originally wanted to do something like a 5-year time skip between A Storm of Swords and the next book. Somewhere along the way he changed his mind and had to pretty much start over from scratch and fill in all the gaps that he originally planned on skipping. He knew where he needed all of his characters to be at the end of the book, but writing it out and getting everyone in place -- and doing so in a somewhat logical time frame -- turned out to be an even bigger nightmare. If you ever hear mention of "the Meereenese knot," that's basically a reference to a sex position GRRM's writing dilemma at the time.

In the end, GRRM had to split the massive tome in two and for whatever reason split them by geography rather than linearity. And without going into too much detail, some stuff he intended for these books STILL got cut -- his publisher basically got tired of waiting for A Dance With Dragons and made him axe the book's loving climax and save it for The Winds of Winter.

On the plus side, the day that ADWD was published, GRRM already had about 250 pages of Winds of Winter done and in the can. Clearly that must mean he's almost finished writing it by now, right? Right? :suicide:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ballz posted:

On the plus side, the day that ADWD was published, GRRM already had about 250 pages of Winds of Winter done and in the can. Clearly that must mean he's almost finished writing it by now, right? Right? :suicide:

He's probably got about two years to get it out before we can just watch it on TV.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

There's some strong indication that this upcoming season will begin diving into Winds material, at least for some storylines.

By season 6 we should be fully beyond Feast and Dance, although the way the show's been changing up storylines and moving stuff around, it's getting more and more nebulous to say such things.

Soon, my sweet summer children. Soon, you will be the ones giving the spoilers rather than receiving them. :getin:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I still laugh when I remember that guy on GRRM's blog complaining about HBO spoiling the books after the baby transformation scene.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I read on the show wiki that GRRM isn't writing an episode this season because he is concentrating on finishing book 6. Is that a good indication that it will be finished in the next year. or am I being a non-book reading sweet summer child?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Lycus posted:

I still laugh when I remember that guy on GRRM's blog complaining about HBO spoiling the books after the baby transformation scene.

I hope it's just a hint of things to come.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

or am I being a non-book reading sweet summer child?

Pretty much.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Binged through this show and I gotta say, it is really entertaining and takes you places you never would have expected.

Cant wait for season 5, when we continue the journeys of Tyrion Lannister, who despite the many threaded storyline, is in fact the main character of this show.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Dany, Jon, Tyrion, Arya maybe, I'd say are the main characters of the show. It's hard to dismiss that they knew to boost Cat and Robb up a ton in screen time, though. Same with Ned, who sure seemed to be the main character for a while!

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I read on the show wiki that GRRM isn't writing an episode this season because he is concentrating on finishing book 6. Is that a good indication that it will be finished in the next year. or am I being a non-book reading sweet summer child?

He claimed that he had book 5 already written and good to go in a short epilogue at the end of book 4....in 2005. Book 5 did not come out until 2011. He hasn't even pretended that he has any part of book 6 really done, and it seems very unlikely that it will come out before the show literally finishes the story. I'm not doubting he'll finish book 6. I just don't see it happening in the next few years at all. He actually intends the next two books to be 1500 manuscript pages each (which is slightly shorter than book 5, but he had most of book 5 done in 2005, so....).

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Apoplexy posted:

Dany, Jon, Tyrion, Arya maybe, I'd say are the main characters of the show. It's hard to dismiss that they knew to boost Cat and Robb up a ton in screen time, though. Same with Ned, who sure seemed to be the main character for a while!

So what are Sansa and Bran, then?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Chopped liver

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I think Game of Thrones, along with some of the other well written shows of recent years, is different because the characters aren't truly the focus. The show isn't about what happens in the lives of these people, rather, how these people interact and respond to an overarching story.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

lifts cats over head posted:

I think Game of Thrones, along with some of the other well written shows of recent years, is different because the characters aren't truly the focus. The show isn't about what happens in the lives of these people, rather, how these people interact and respond to an overarching story.

actually, I think its exactly the opposite.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

whowhatwhere posted:

Starks. They can't be main characters. Snows and "no one" only.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

TomViolence posted:

You poor sod. You really should've stopped two books ago.

Finished today. I enjoyed them. Probably helped that I didn't have to wait six years. Now I wait with everybody else.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

Sarcastro posted:

Finished today. I enjoyed them. Probably helped that I didn't have to wait six years. Now I wait with everybody else.

I feel you. I read them earlier this year and now I understand. I get it. :smith:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

whowhatwhere posted:

A way to provide dramatic irony

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

He claimed that he had book 5 already written and good to go in a short epilogue at the end of book 4....in 2005. Book 5 did not come out until 2011. He hasn't even pretended that he has any part of book 6 really done, and it seems very unlikely that it will come out before the show literally finishes the story. I'm not doubting he'll finish book 6. I just don't see it happening in the next few years at all. He actually intends the next two books to be 1500 manuscript pages each (which is slightly shorter than book 5, but he had most of book 5 done in 2005, so....).
The more time that passes, the more I'm convinced that GRRM will never finish the books.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Josh Lyman posted:

The more time that passes, the more I'm convinced that GRRM will never finish the books.

Would you?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think he will (not before the show ends, though). I think everyone will super loving hate them too, but that's maybe a different discussion.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's going to be like Lost where the ride is amazing and the destination is awful.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
D&D said the ending is the best thing about the series by a large margin for what it's worth and it's something they look forward to working to.

GRRM also said he hated LOST's ending with a passion, he's also planned the ending out long ago so I doubt the ending will be poo poo.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Of course, I wouldn't expect them to say that it sucks, whether or not they planned on changing it.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I doubt they would call it poo poo, but they wouldn't go out of their way to say it's something they really look forward to. GRRM has probably given them the bare bones and general outline and has pretty much sold them with that. He couldn't of told them everything down to the final letter.

It could be a brilliant idea that can end horribly but D&D have time to get ready for that. I have faith in GRRM and some in D&D, they aren't the producers/writers of Dexter and they seem to be fairly confident in the ending from what we have seen.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The everything after Tywin's death sucks because GRRM was planning to breeze over it and get to the next fun part.

Instead we have affc and adwd. And the TV adaptations thereof.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Binged through this show and I gotta say, it is really entertaining and takes you places you never would have expected.
Same. Gave it a miss at first because "I've read the books, I know what's going to happen"... Yeah well, I've enjoyed it so much I think I'll probably skip the next books and just watch the series.

kiimo posted:

It's going to be like Lost where the ride is amazing and the destination is awful.
Here's my idea for an ending:

You ditch the rest of the characters and rename the show "Arya and the Hound's Eternal Quest for Chickens". I don't care how much that screws with cannon and/or continuity, I'd watch the gently caress out of it and so would the rest of you.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

tooterfish posted:

Same. Gave it a miss at first because "I've read the books, I know what's going to happen"... Yeah well, I've enjoyed it so much I think I'll probably skip the next books and just watch the series.
Here's my idea for an ending:

You ditch the rest of the characters and rename the show "Arya and the Hound's Eternal Quest for Chickens". I don't care how much that screws with cannon and/or continuity, I'd watch the gently caress out of it and so would the rest of you.

Totally. The hound just needs his Nandos, give the guy some peri peri goodness already!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I've finally gotten to A Ball of Beasts and I'm a few chapters in. After looking at the publication dates and seeing which characters feature in Feast and Dance respectively, it occurred to me that readers had to wait ELEVEN loving YEARS to continue the stories of some of them.

I feel like I'm watching a wintery storm from within a heated room.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
EDIT: ^^^^ The funny thing about A Feast for Crows is that it literally does not include chapters for any of the "main characters" you guys were talking about a few posts up. Six loving years man.....

In theory, the books are different from LOST in that LOST was a TV show bound by the unpredictable nature of actor contracts, unknown numbers of seasons, studio interference and writer strikes that all combine to make it impossible to predict where your show is going and make trying to plan it out a foolish endeavour. One of the single most planned out TV shows that I know about is Babylon 5, and even that show had several actors leave the show unexpectedly (the lead actor was literally seeing hallucinations and was insane, and another actress got pushed off the show because one of the other actors decided he hated her), an uneven paced plot because they always thought they were about to get cancelled, followed up by an extra season after they had completely finished all the show's stories. Meanwhile, the TV show Breaking Bad is considered by lots of people to be a tightly woven masterpiece, but the actual writers from the show were literally making stuff up as they went, and often wrote the opening flashbacks of the seasons long before they even knew what events those flashbacks would be showing.

In contrast, A Song of Ice and Fire does not have to worry about actors, studio interference, cancelled seasons, etc. leaving GRRM free to write the exact story he wishes to write. In theory...

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

If GRRM sacrifices even a single thing in order to actually write, and he actually does write I think it's a good indication that we might see book 6 within the next five years.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

To be fair to GRRM, there are completed chapters for book 6 on his website available as previews.

I hate to be mr no-fun but some people seem to think that it's a fact that he doesn't write ever, rather than just a joke about his current glacially slow progress. You do realize that it's a joke, right?

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

CountFosco posted:

You do realize that it's a joke, right?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

tooterfish posted:

Not if it pre-empts "Arya and Tywin Drive Around in a Van and Solve Mysteries."

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Season 5 premiere: April 12.

Four more months. :ducksiren:

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Ballz posted:

Season 5 premiere: April 12.

Four more months. :ducksiren:

Three more months. :eng101:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I watched seasons 1 - 4 over the course of a week. This is going to be painful :ohdear:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Something I thought people might be interested in - a couple of original based-on-GoT songs by Miracle of Sound.

Halfman's Song: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/7086-Half-Mans-Song-Game-of-Thrones

When Winter Comes: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/9525-When-Winter-Comes-Game-of-Thrones-Song

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

CountFosco posted:

To be fair to GRRM, there are completed chapters for book 6 on his website available as previews.

I hate to be mr no-fun but some people seem to think that it's a fact that he doesn't write ever, rather than just a joke about his current glacially slow progress. You do realize that it's a joke, right?

The funniest thing is that GRRM isn't actually a slow writer at all. Some other author compared the word count/time taken to their own and a few other authors output and GRRM is about average. It just feels slow because the books are huge tomes that nerds binge-read in a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Started re-watching this in anticipation of next season, it's so weird how young/alive some of these characters are in the first season.

Also my fiancee's kind-of sheltered friend is staying with us while she applies to grad school, we watched the first episode and the first words out of her mouth were "Oh poo poo". Now she's hooked :allears:

• Locked thread