Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Just strap it to the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

veedubfreak posted:

Just strap it to the roof.

The aftermarket roof rack situation on the FR-S leaves much to be desired and bungee cords would scratch the paint.

dissss posted:

I really don't think you'll comfortably fit a baby seat into a Fiesta (any Fiesta) - definitely check that out.

I did already. It fits in the middle with the front seats all the way back just fine.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

SperginMcBadposter posted:

This is based off of the "build your own" option on ford's site. The non-lovely colors are locked in SE trim and higher. Also the non-ST trims are 120hp not 90, and about the same weight as my zx2, so I would consider them semi-sporty which would be nice with a 6 speed.
I am not just a poor but a dumb poor, because I bought a Fiesta S new this past spring, and I can attest to the fun colors being restricted by trim level.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I had some keen teen talk my ear off for 15 minutes about my Civic type R, he managed to hit every stereotype.

"Is that Japanese? I just love JDM. It's my dream car but I can't afford the insurance. Me and my mates take our red Sports and stance 'em. I love it when the VTEC kicks in" etc etc.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

veedubfreak posted:

Well VW announced pricing on the new R. The dealership I normally use is ordering a bunch but they're only going to be blue/dsg/nav/tech and be around 39600 :( The manual transmission won't be available until 2016. VWOA is so hateful.

I still think it's stupid that if you move off of the S trim you are forced into leather seats. I want a sunroof and plaid seats just like I have now on my MkV, is that too much to ask VW?

Edit: On the GTI, that is. I realize that the R will only ever have leather.

Hansolio fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 23, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GutBomb posted:

I did already. It fits in the middle with the front seats all the way back just fine.

What car seat? The combination of a Graco baby bucket and our MS3 for eight months was pretty much reason number one why I have a CRV instead now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

IOwnCalculus posted:

What car seat? The combination of a Graco baby bucket and our MS3 for eight months was pretty much reason number one why I have a CRV instead now.

Britax Marathon 70. It was around $250.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Well VW announced pricing on the new R. The dealership I normally use is ordering a bunch but they're only going to be blue/dsg/nav/tech and be around 39600 :( The manual transmission won't be available until 2016. VWOA is so hateful.

so the manual version is around $36k? I have no interest in navigation, and as far as package go, I'm only interested in the lighting, which I think comes standard on the Golf R?

What is DCC and is it worth extra money?

If not, and this is about $36 for a manual version, this is a pretty compelling car. It's about a $5k premium over a GTI and you get about 80 extra HP and AWD.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

tijag posted:

so the manual version is around $36k? I have no interest in navigation, and as far as package go, I'm only interested in the lighting, which I think comes standard on the Golf R?

What is DCC and is it worth extra money?

If not, and this is about $36 for a manual version, this is a pretty compelling car. It's about a $5k premium over a GTI and you get about 80 extra HP and AWD.

Exactly why I want it. A fully kitted out GTI with power pack is 30k. All I want is the sunroof and maybe the nav depending on if it gets me up to the 8" screen. The DCC is probably going to be an option that doesn't really do much. Xenons and leather are standard on the R.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Britax Marathon 70. It was around $250.

That'll help. We didn't switch ours to a convertible until a few months after we got the Honda (Britax Advocate, basically that thing plus some giant poofy side protection things).

Now that she's front-facing I think I could get her into a much smaller car no problem again, but it'd be down to convincing my wife to go back down to a smaller hatchback, and I bought that Honda planning to run it into the ground.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
3 hours into a 3.5 hour drive I hit the mother of all potholes in my ST. I've gotten my tire changing time down to about ten minutes, not including the unpacking the trunk in driving rain in the dark :v: here's to hoping I can get the bend straightened!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I bent a rim on my FiST too, was about $70 to get it straightened. Tire was fine though!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Voltage posted:

I bent a rim on my FiST too, was about $70 to get it straightened. Tire was fine though!

Yeah for once my tire looks fine as well. I put four new ones on this summer and have had three flats since. I'm a lucky man! Pics for anyone interested.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Well, I just put a deposit on a silver Focus ST (ST2). It's a dealer trade, so I should get it, and join the 'hatch' crowd on Friday.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Well, I just put a deposit on a silver Focus ST (ST2). It's a dealer trade, so I should get it, and join the 'hatch' crowd on Friday.

Congrats! The ST Army is taking over.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I literally just bent another rim today - hit a horrible pothole and I have terrible wheel shake now but my tire is fine yet again. Low profile tires are the worst.

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

I got my 14 FoST two week ago and love it so much after going years without a car in sf. Was shopping for a wrx wagon even used was about the price I ended up paying for a black base model st. Had to debadge that ugly focus emblem right away but everything else is perfect

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Now my decision on a FiST is a bit more unclear. I test drive a Golf R, a Veloster turbo, and an MS3. I really liked the MS3. It had a lot of torque and a lot more room than the fiesta. The Golf R was a bit sedate for what it is, and the Veloster was a horrible cheap vibrating mess.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 26, 2014

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
What is the story with getting a 7th gen VW Golf R in 2015? They are doing their initial sale of 500 on January 8th, but what about after that? Any ideas on how long it would take to order one and get it delivered? If there is some delay? I am interested in one (its between the GTI, R, or FoST) and wondering if they will be available around March/April timeframe.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

GutBomb posted:

Now my decision on a FiST is a bit more unclear. I test drive a Golf R, a Veloster turbo, and an MS3. I really liked the MS3. It had a lot of torque and a lot more room than the fiesta. The Golf R was a bit sedate for what it is, and the Veloster was a horrible cheap vibrating mess.

On my second MS3 - terrific car. Also looked at everything else - Golf R, Focus RS, etc... MS3 had the biggest fun factor. The VW was super nice, and I liked the AWD, but not hooligan enough, and also more money.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Aren't those other cars competing more directly with the Focus rather than the Fiesta?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The Locator posted:

Aren't those other cars competing more directly with the Focus rather than the Fiesta?

Forgot to mention that I did test a focus st also and while it was alright, I preferred the fiesta. I haven't really thought about it since the test drive which I think speaks volumes, since the fiesta has been on my mind since.

I also tested an evo (awesome but loud and uncomfortable so that's a no from the wife) and a wrx hatch on bags (loving terrible, why would you ever do that?)

I have to drive the fiesta one more time to be sure but I'm probably going to end up with an MS3.

Hit an Apex posted:

On my second MS3 - terrific car. Also looked at everything else - Golf R, Focus RS, etc... MS3 had the biggest fun factor. The VW was super nice, and I liked the AWD, but not hooligan enough, and also more money.

The Golf R was on par comfort-wise and fun-wise with the 335 xi that I drove a few weeks ago, but it was just kind of muted. Not fun. Not boring. Just a really nice car. Also only 2 doors so that makes the baby seat annoying.

The Hyundai... What a piece of poo poo. Sounded like a Hyundai accent, drove like an ox, vibrated like a coin operated motel bed. About on par with a Yaris.

The clutch in the MS3 is a lot heavier than the FR-S, but I'm pretty sure I'd get used to it quickly.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 26, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

GutBomb posted:

Forgot to mention that I did test a focus st also and while it was alright, I preferred the fiesta. I haven't really thought about it since the test drive which I think speaks volumes, since the fiesta has been on my mind since.
Different strokes.
I test drove a FoST and loved it (albeit its still a FWD hot hatch and not a Mustang GT). Sat in a FiST and the ergonomics sucked in addition to less space.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
God damnit:

Luckily got it fixed for $40!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Done deal.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Voltage posted:

God damnit:

Luckily got it fixed for $40!

Is this the weekend of hot hatch bent rims? Glad you got it fixed. No wheel repair places around my parents house so I have to drive the 200 home on the FoST spare. That's safe to do, right? Full size and all.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Very nice. 'Grats.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Nice, I see we're twins. Now just get some goodies and you're set to go.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

howling_mad posted:

Nice, I see we're twins. Now just get some goodies and you're set to go.

No real 'goodies' I want for it really. I plan to daily drive it and also occasionally autocross, so once I wear out the F1's that are on it I will probably pick up a 2nd set of wheels and put RS-3's or Direzza's or whatever the current hot 'street' tire is on the spare set to autocross and probably something that will last longer than the F1's for daily driving. It's the king of the hill in GS, so no real desire to make it go into a money-pit class.

Only other thing would be to look into a way to replace/supplement the factory sub, as I already miss the pair of Punch 10" (with a 500w Punch amp) I had in the old Fiesta. I don't want to go with a giant box like those are in and eliminate the utility of the hatch though, so I'm conflicted.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I saw a FoST today from the front and was sad that my province requires front plates. Shame to cover up that cool grille!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

priznat posted:

I saw a FoST today from the front and was sad that my province requires front plates. Shame to cover up that cool grille!

No front plates here, which makes me glad. The dealership wasn't stupid and didn't put on the front plate holder like they did on the Fiesta either.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Hit an Apex posted:

Still on my first, and thinking about replacing it with No. 2 when (if)* they come out mid-late 2015.

*Yes, it's just speculation at this point, though I'm cautiously optimistic we'll see a 2016 model, as a number of press articles have suggested.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Had some 'hot hatches' over the years

My second ever car:

My first Viggen:

Second Viggen:

All very fun, sloppy chassis, overpowered, slightly modded, FWD cars. Spent the last several years riding around in boring trucks until I finally got a company rig. Traded in my truck and motorcycle and got a '14 ST with 7k miles last month. No Recaros, they never felt right on my back, I just wish they offered the stock seats in leather.

Really happy with it so far. Enough power to have fun and the steering feel is amazing. The only thing I hated was the huge amount of wheel hop, I know it's been a problem for others before I bought it, just had no idea how bad it was until I romped on it for a while. Recently installed the Boomba rear motor mount and the wheel hop is 90% gone and the shifting feels much more solid from first to second. The vibrations under load at around 800 to 1200 RPM are annoying though, hopefully it 'breaks in' after a while.

Will have to take a nice picture of it at some point as well...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I decided on the molten orange FiST over the MS3 after another test drive. Ordered a set of winter tires from tire rack. Hope it doesn't snow this week.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Mcqueen posted:

The only thing I hated was the huge amount of wheel hop, I know it's been a problem for others before I bought it, just had no idea how bad it was until I romped on it for a while.

I had no idea how bad the wheel hop on my Audi A3 was until I installed the poly insert and holy poo poo it can put power down now. Taking off fast and having a smooth transition from wheel spin to grip is amazing.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 232 days!)

Mcqueen posted:

My first Viggen:

Second Viggen:

Go on..

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
To Focus ST Owners:

Has anyone noticed an unusual amount of wear on the rear brakes (passenger side especially)?

I just got a scheduled service around 25,000 miles and was told by the dealership mechanic that my passenger side rear brakes were in need of replacement with only around 10-15% left on the pads.

For having owned the car a year and a half (and auto-x'd in twice) I'd say that's an alarming wear rate and probably points to a mechanical issue, however the dealer is insisting I pay for it out of pocket for reasons.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

GutBomb posted:

I decided on the molten orange FiST over the MS3 after another test drive. Ordered a set of winter tires from tire rack. Hope it doesn't snow this week.

Hell yeah. I love that color and wish it was available on the Focus.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

RCR just did a FiST review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw-3zLZheII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Had one wheel straightened only to discover the other on the same side is bent as well. Beautiful. At least it's holding air. I've put about $1500 into maintenance on the tires/wheels of this car alone. Its getting old.