Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I hate having to wait for spoilers. I wanna be the first person to tell the whole world that the new cards suck and Magic is ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Veyrall posted:

I hate having to wait for spoilers. I wanna be the first person to tell the whole world that the new cards suck and Magic is ruined.

I hate the last few hours before spoilers. The months before that? I'm cool. But knowing that spoilers are coming :supaburn: TODAY :supaburn: just makes me all the more impatient for some reason.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Manifest is extremely strange and Ken Nagle is ruining magic.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Soulflayer seems unreasonably good... 6 mana 4/4 is already playable, and if it has any 2 abilities, then it becomes absurd... Hooting Mandrills is a great card, and this thing can be way better...

I guess the tough part becomes finding those abilities in a deck that plays black?

I'm talking about limited.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I like these cards. Because standard sanctioned non creature morphs, and yey more Delve.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

The elemental seems like a decent wrath preventer but manifest seems like it might be clunky.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Wow, Manifest is so neat. Even if at baseline it's just a way to make a bunch of Grizzly Bears, the fact that it'll (usually) be a surprise even to you when you have a creature to flip up makes it super exciting.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Manifest seems awkward as hell, but I hope it turns out OK. How does it work with double-faced cards? If you manifest a Delver of Secrets, can you morph it for U, and later end up transforming it?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Rinkles posted:

I like these cards. Because standard sanctioned non creature morphs

While I think I dig manifest, now you'll not only have to check your opponent's face-down cards after a game, you'll have to make sure they've indicated that any noncreatures and non-morph creatures were actually put into play with a manifest ability and not represented as a morph. Can't wait until people start tripping up over this :getin:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
I don't like Manifest. Even if it winds up playing alright, it seems like a huge rules / physical interaction headache that'll actually cause the sort of cheats people were afraid of with the Morph changes. At least it'll function way better on MODO, if there's still anyone left playing it by that point.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I can't wait to see the controversy when someone manifests a noncreature card and at the end of the game a pro insists they played it as a morph. But it's that players fault and not the pro for being scummy because

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Oh I missed the rules article, sorry guys.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Chamale posted:

Manifest seems awkward as hell, but I hope it turns out OK. How does it work with double-faced cards? If you manifest a Delver of Secrets, can you morph it for U, and later end up transforming it?

Well, double-faced cards can't be face-down. If you're unable to manifest your card, I guess the card just stays on top? I imagine we'll get a clarification.

EDIT: For the sake of IRL magic, it's shocking they didn't use some kind of counter to indicate a manifested card. I hadn't considered the rules confusion.

Myriad Truths fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 29, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

JerryLee posted:

While I think I dig manifest, now you'll not only have to check your opponent's face-down cards after a game, you'll have to make sure they've indicated that any noncreatures and non-morph creatures were actually put into play with a manifest ability and not represented as a morph. Can't wait until people start tripping up over this :getin:

I don't see why they would have to reveal Manifested cards. Just keep track of the cards that were cast as morphs and make sure they're actually dudes.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

JerryLee posted:

From the rules article:

I guess you're supposed to actually use the morph cards now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

JerryLee posted:

True, but I don't concern myself w/ the practicalities of the game too much - I play rarely nowadays and never at tournaments. I just think it's a neat mechanic.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

suicidesteve posted:

I don't see why they would have to reveal Manifested cards. Just keep track of the cards that were cast as morphs and make sure they're actually dudes.

Good point that there's probably no reason to actually make them reveal Manifested cards, just keep track of them. Still, it's gonna lead to some drama.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Dash seems like a really cool mechanic; even if that Heelcutter is the best version we'll be getting, for Boss Sligh it's 3 power with haste for 3 mana that pumps Foundry-Street Denizen.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chamale posted:

All sides of a double faced card are face up. It isn't possible for them to be face down. We'll have to wait for the rules dump to figure out how the hell that interaction works.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

Oh I missed the rules article, sorry guys.

Good poo poo. Looks like a pretty complex set for today's standards.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Manifest Kheru Spellsnatcher, spellsnatch for 3U unstead of 4UU. :getin:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

bhsman posted:

Dash seems like a really cool mechanic; even if that Heelcutter is the best version we'll be getting, for Boss Sligh it's 3 power with haste for 3 mana that pumps Foundry-Street Denizen.

Yeah I like Dash a lot, hoping it gets some neat cards. Nice, simple mechanic, but there's a lot of potential depth and design space.

Also, a blog I follow on Tumblr posted these two along with Whisperwood Elemental

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Could anyone rehost the images? The Wizards site is blocked where I'm at.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Good poo poo. Looks like a pretty complex set for today's standards.

I think small sets are allowed to be noticeably more complex, since you get fewer packs of them during limited, and they're designed to build on mechanics that have already been established. A reasonable design paradigm.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Manifest is great with this little guy:

2W mana for a 12/12 Trample, if you can stack the deck right.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Kolaghan is also in that art piece for Dragons of Tarkir, where she's seen leading the Mardu against the Abzan and their own dragon. Gonna be awesome when both the clans and dragons work together to wreck each other's poo poo. :allears:

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
You have to keep it clear what order morphed cards entered the battlefield so that your opponent can keep track of them, so they can't shuffle their morphs to keep you confused. I'm guessing you'll have to do the same thing with manifested cards, where if you ask your opponent "was this morphed or manifested?" they'll have to answer correctly. If there's any rules headache here it's one that already existed with morph.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Oh man, already there are a few cards for my cube. +1/+1 counters EVERYWHERE!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Btw manifesting isn't necessarily tied to the top card of your library (depends on the card, ofc)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Bolster is a bad mechanic and should have been reworked. People are gonna gently caress up with Honor's Reward so hard forever.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Bolster is a bad mechanic and should have been reworked. People are gonna gently caress up with Honor's Reward so hard forever.

I'm leery of manifest, but I honestly don't see what's wrong with bolster.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

For those that missed it, like I did.

Serperoth posted:

Also, a blog I follow on Tumblr posted these two along with Whisperwood Elemental

Khans or Dragons

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elyv posted:

I'm leery of manifest, but I honestly don't see what's wrong with bolster.

I want you, and not anyone else, to tell me what happens when I play Honor's Reward with an Akroan Crusader in play.

Then, tell me how many times that's going to result in a judge call.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

I'm leery of manifest

Isn't the potentially broken stuff the most exciting?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rinkles posted:

For those that missed it, like I did.

Khans or Dragons

I was waiting for someone else to point that out. I like the modal cards so far for FRF, especially since they flesh out the 'conflict' of the set very well.

EDIT:

Toshimo posted:

I want you, and not anyone else, to tell me what happens when I play Honor's Reward with an Akroan Crusader in play.

You gain four life, then put two +1/+1 counters on Akroan Crusader. Honor's Reward doesn't have the word "target" on it.
Even more technical, you choose the recipient of the counters on resolution, which is also when the toughnesses are checked.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 29, 2014

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Toshimo posted:

You put two +1/+1 counters on your smallest creature, since Honor's Reward doesn't target?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Outpost Siege is really good....

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So say I blink a facedown sorcery, what happens?

mcmagic posted:

Outpost Siege is really good....

Red Future Sight, woo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Manifest is the coolest goddamn mechanic I've seen since Phyrexian mana.

• Locked thread