Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Outpost Siege is really good....

I agree, both abilities are designed to go perfectly with the new dash mechanic. Don't know if it'll see play but it seems like a fun card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo this set looks excellent.

Soul summons looks like a good limited card, at it's worst it's a grizzly bear.

I don't feel like Outpost Siege is that fantastic though, it looked really good to me when I saw the first ability but I would say Chandra, Pyromaster does the same and more in a lot of the instances where you want it.

E: though ones an enchantment and ones a walker with the associated weaknesses so that could be a big deal.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Colorless 2/2s forever, but otherwise I'm not super-hype on Manifest. It's not bad, just weird to me.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Ramos posted:

So say I blink a facedown sorcery, what happens?

Red Future Sight, woo!

It gets exiled and doesn't come back. Non-permanents that would enter the battlefield stay in their current zone instead.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Ramos posted:

So say I blink a facedown sorcery, what happens?

I assume it would just be a 2/2 forever until it dies, then goes to the exile/graveyard as a sorcery.

Soulflayer though... Finally, an exciting delve card. :allears:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Soulflayer + Gurmag Swiftwing. Who's going to live the dream at the pre-release?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So what are the best combat keyword creatures in Modern/Legacy?

E: vv I meant to put "commonly played" before that, sorry dude

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 29, 2014

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Akroma, Angel of Wrath

e: and everyone's favorite, Chromanticore.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

TheKingofSprings posted:

A quick search for double strike brings up Drogskol Reaver.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If you Dash something out and it dies it doesn't return to your hand right?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

If you Dash something out and it dies it doesn't return to your hand right?

Correct, because once something changes zones it becomes a new gameplay object.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Manifest is the absolute coolest thing on magic in a very long time even if it is pretty complex

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Not commonly played, but realistically: Vampire Nighthawk.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Thalia?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wurmcoil, and both phyrexian and mirran crusader both see a little play as well.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Toshimo posted:

I want you, and not anyone else, to tell me what happens when I play Honor's Reward with an Akroan Crusader in play.

Then, tell me how many times that's going to result in a judge call.

Post of the year.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also finally, another way to play a land as a morph without getting disqualified. :getin:

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
I want to build some goofy-rear end deck with Soulflayer and Buried Alive.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Manifest is the absolute coolest thing on magic in a very long time even if it is pretty complex

Its gonna be another season of rules debate though. "What if he says he manifested that spell?!"

TheKingofSprings posted:

Holy poo poo this set looks excellent.

Soul summons looks like a good limited card, at it's worst it's a grizzly bear.

I don't feel like Outpost Siege is that fantastic though, it looked really good to me when I saw the first ability but I would say Chandra, Pyromaster does the same and more in a lot of the instances where you want it.

E: though ones an enchantment and ones a walker with the associated weaknesses so that could be a big deal.

The last point is pretty huge. Chandra very rarely stays on the battlefield while she's repeatedly drawing you cards. You can also cast multiples of Outpost Siege if you want to have tons of cards. That's not to say Chandra is "strictly" worse or anything, but I think most of the time Outpost Siege is probably just better.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 29, 2014

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Kraus posted:

I want to build some goofy-rear end deck with Soulflayer and Buried Alive.

That sounds like a lot of work for not enough upside.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
If there isn't a card named "Manifest Destiny" then gently caress Wizards.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Holy hell Eldrazi with manifest and blink effects in Modern.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I want to go Rageform, flip Phyrexian Dreadnought.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Elyv posted:

That sounds like a lot of work for not enough upside.

Casual, dude.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Emerson Cod posted:

Holy hell Eldrazi with manifest and blink effects in Modern.

Seems easy to disrupt since you need to resolve a spell on a creature that dies to bolt.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Seems easy to disrupt since you need to resolve a spell on a creature that dies to bolt.

Yeah. It's like 10x the effort of just reanimating one.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Serperoth posted:

Yeah I like Dash a lot, hoping it gets some neat cards. Nice, simple mechanic, but there's a lot of potential depth and design space.

I like Dash too, especially if they can do a good value one or play around with alternative costs.

Now, the dragon is interesting, it's watermark is like the Mardu symbol, but modified. It's also in an allied colour pair, which were not in Khans.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
:toot: Finally won my first draft! Temur Ferocious is pretty hilarious with stuff like Crater's Claw, Barrage of Boulders, etc. I mean, I even passed a Charm for a second pack fetch, and then accidentally drafted a Refuge in the wrong colors, but my pack one pick one Savage Knuckleblade just wrecked every single person I played. I also drew my first round 1/1/1, which was infuriating because I had the game otherwise, but I attribute that to my opponent both having a durdly as gently caress Simic morph deck and then playing slowly and constantly talking off to the side (which I mean, I know he's been playing Magic an order of magnitude longer than I have because he owns Power), but I'm way too timid to call slow play on someone at a Sunday afternoon draft. I know I ultimately came out on top and shouldn't be bitter, but my first prerelease ever I got knocked out by another slow play who would rather draw than concede in spite of losing either the next turn or the turn after, so it's a bit of a pet peeve.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Toshimo posted:

Yeah. It's like 10x the effort of just reanimating one.

Eldrazi are kinda hard to reanimate

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

If there isn't a deck named "Manifest Destiny" then gently caress SCG's boring naming template.
:agreed:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

I like Dash too, especially if they can do a good value one or play around with alternative costs.

Now, the dragon is interesting, it's watermark is like the Mardu symbol, but modified. It's also in an allied colour pair, which were not in Khans.

Reading Matt Tabak's article right now, he mentions five clans (the ones we know) and five dragon broods, so that's presumably the dragon brood symbol.

Also, Hooded Assassin is going to be part of a cycle of modal ETB cards. Creatures, presumably.

EDIT: Ken Nagle's post also has some info about the set, and maybe a spoiler-ish thing about Dragons of Tarkir? He posted a playtest card that read "When CARDNAME dies or is exiled from your graveyard to delve a spell, draw a card.". His comment on it was that it was good with KTK delve cards, but became too blank in the later draft format. Interesting.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 29, 2014

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Manifest being in the same Standard as Scry is going to be fun

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Chamale posted:

Manifest is great with this little guy:

2W mana for a 12/12 Trample, if you can stack the deck right.

Boy I'm sure glad I sold my extras Friday!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Nah the deck should be called White Khan's Burden.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Okay I posted a bit in a previous post about the Nagle article but it's actually a better read than an edit.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/designing-your-fate-2014-12-29

Possibly important bits:
-Maybe no delve in Dragons
-Legendary Dragon cycle is two-colour, all ally colours. Maybe broods are the same?
-Each of them has an attack triggered ability
-A bear ate a lot of Ken Nagle's apples from his apple trees
-Three modal cycles in FRF that use "Choose X or Y"
-Funny playtest names. Personally hyped for Phantom Lancer

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm wondering about Snicker-snack myself.

New Equipment? Vorpal balde of some sort?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Serperoth posted:

EDIT: Ken Nagle's post also has some info about the set, and maybe a spoiler-ish thing about Dragons of Tarkir? He posted a playtest card that read "When CARDNAME dies or is exiled from your graveyard to delve a spell, draw a card.". His comment on it was that it was good with KTK delve cards, but became too blank in the later draft format. Interesting.

Probably because in Dragons the sleight of hand will be completed and Delve / Prowess / Ferocious will be replaced with their respective brood keyword

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Cernunnos posted:

I'm wondering about Snicker-snack myself.

New Equipment? Vorpal balde of some sort?

Something either pro dragons or destroy a dragon on an equipment.

quote:

Recruit Two Ducklings
Oh HELL yea!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I just realized something clever about Ugin, the Spirit Dragon. He's a very powerful planeswalker, and he can exile any planeswalker upon being cast except Nicol Bolas or Karn. If a Nicol Bolas Planeswalker and Ugin the Spirit Dragon are both in play, Nicol will win the battle, just like he did in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Serperoth posted:

Okay I posted a bit in a previous post about the Nagle article but it's actually a better read than an edit.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/designing-your-fate-2014-12-29

Possibly important bits:
-Maybe no delve in Dragons
-Legendary Dragon cycle is two-colour, all ally colours. Maybe broods are the same?
-Each of them has an attack triggered ability
-A bear ate a lot of Ken Nagle's apples from his apple trees
-Three modal cycles in FRF that use "Choose X or Y"
-Funny playtest names. Personally hyped for Phantom Lancer

Theory: Fate is like Dragon's Maze (except with dragons in) so has all ten faction keywords from the other sets. Dash and Bolster, along with the other presumed keywords, are for the dragon-alligned parts of the clans, who may occupy the allied pair, so no black bolster or white dash. Then in Dragons you have a focus on allied instead of enemy pairs, also strengthening the case for enemy fetches for symetry, though for that they have would need to be in Fate too.

E: what dragon enthusiast said, and they should know.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 29, 2014

• Locked thread