Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

HalloKitty posted:

Oh, nice, didn't hear about this.

It would be amusing if Nintendo, with its forgotten and little-loved Wii U, suddenly had the most powerful of the 3 machines. Maybe they could include a controller designed for human hands with a good battery life!

I need to clarify my previous statement. It appears that AMD has only won a contract to provide the guts for the next living room console, which differs from what I was originally told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

thebigcow posted:

They hired a bunch of guys from DEC that worked on the Alpha right around the time Compaq bought what was left of DEC. Those were the people that made the Athlon.

And the leftover guys made...Itanium.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Intel needs amd to stick around in the desktop cpu space so they don't get hit by monopoly regulators. The (undoubtedly low margin) console deals and the useful idiots still buying amds for gaming both help them in a way

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pointsofdata posted:

Intel needs amd to stick around in the desktop cpu space so they don't get hit by monopoly regulators. The (undoubtedly low margin) console deals and the useful idiots still buying amds for gaming both help them in a way

I don't think this true anymore, see Intel's complete dominance of the server market, and the fact Apple exists in the desktop market.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Chuu posted:

and the fact Apple exists in the desktop market.

I don't see how Apple buying intel cpus is helping intel avoid regulators.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Riso posted:

I don't see how Apple buying intel cpus is helping intel avoid regulators.

It doesn't, but apple has the resources to design something in house if intel took things too far.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Blorange posted:

It doesn't, but apple has the resources to design something in house if intel took things too far.

They absolutely do not, unless "Intel taking things too far" involves leaving Apple half a decade lead time.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

They absolutely do not, unless "Intel taking things too far" involves leaving Apple half a decade lead time.

Yeah, they'd need to have a track record developing their own processors and have put in the resources to snipe top talent from other chip markers.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Chuu posted:

Yeah, they'd need to have a track record developing their own processors and have put in the resources to snipe top talent from other chip markers.

With how ridiculous the CPU is in the iPad Air 2, I could see them adding 1 or 3 more cores and dropping it into a Macbook Air. Good point.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

It doesn't matter, adobe isn't going to port photoshop again.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Twerk from Home posted:

With how ridiculous the CPU is in the iPad Air 2, I could see them adding 1 or 3 more cores and dropping it into a Macbook Air. Good point.

No you really can't, it's quite slow and people would really notice. Especially if Apple's going to expect them to keep paying Macbook Air prices.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

No you really can't, it's quite slow and people would really notice. Especially if Apple's going to expect them to keep paying Macbook Air prices.

I'm not saying it would compare favorably with Haswells, I think it would compare with the quad core Bay Trail Atoms that go in Windows tablets, netbooks, and small computers. The Z3740 and other similar processors. This could be a way towards extreme battery life. Are Macbooks Airs really that expensive? My wife got a 2014 13" MBA for $750 a couple months ago, it was cheaper than any comparable windows devices we could find.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm not saying it would compare favorably with Haswells, I think it would compare with the quad core Bay Trail Atoms that go in Windows tablets, netbooks, and small computers. The Z3740 and other similar processors. This could be a way towards extreme battery life. Are Macbooks Airs really that expensive? My wife got a 2014 13" MBA for $750 a couple months ago, it was cheaper than any comparable windows devices we could find.
paid 3/4 of a grand for a tablet with a keyboard lol

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 29, 2014

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

You paid 3/4 of a grand for a tablet lol

I'm really not understanding the Macbook Air hate going on here. It's a very nice combination of light weight, great battery life, passable CPU, really fast SSD for about what you would pay for a decent mainstream laptop anyway.

I was just trying to speculate that given the success of Bay Trail atom CPUs creeping into so many products, it's not crazy that apple would put a similar speed CPU in its devices.

Edit: They're laptops, not tablets, right?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
To stop the derail, the fact is that Apple doesn't vertically control the process to make processors for ~all~ potential markets from design to fabrication like Intel does. You might as well have said Samsung could compete instead and that would have been a better response--those guys actually work their own silicon for multiple projects.

Edit: these days there's no distinction between laptop and tablet aside from keyboard not sold separately. Windows PCs with full-on versions of the desktop OS, using those Bay Trails you mentioned, cost downwards of $150 (and that's just straight up retail).

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 29, 2014

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

To stop the derail, the fact is that Apple doesn't vertically control the process to make processors for ~all~ potential markets from design to fabrication like Intel does. You might as well have said Samsung could compete instead and that would have been a better response--those guys actually work their own silicon for multiple projects.

The A8X and similar chips may just be ARM implementations, but they're definitely designed by Apple and produced by TSMC. It's not very far off of laptop class performance.

This is an AMD thread, so we had probably focus on AMD again. However, ever since they went fabless AMD doesn't "vertically control the process to make processors for ~all~ potential markets from design to fabrication like Intel does", so I guess they aren't technically a chip manufacturer either.

Edit: Yeah the Bay Trails are extremely cheap and have great battery life. It looks like the A8X is faster than a Bay Trail Atom, and could maybe help Apple push the entry level Macbook Air down to $650 or $700 like it helped push entry level Windows shitboxes from $250-300 to $150.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Twerk from Home posted:

so I guess they aren't technically a chip manufacturer either.
That's correct, they're a chip designer now.

Someone in the thread spoke to the amount of "resources" companies had to do things re: Intel and then this happened.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Twerk from Home posted:

The A8X and similar chips may just be ARM implementations, but they're definitely designed by Apple and produced by TSMC. It's not very far off of laptop class performance.

With an extra core it scores lower than last year's midrange that's missing 1/3rd of it's clock speed. It's really tempting to cobble together a guess from the boiled-down leftovers from popular press, but you're making statements based on generalities of generalities and every single data point underneath them doesn't add up the way you want it to.

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!

That's correct, they're a chip designer now.
This breakdown is pure pedantry. It doesn't say anything towards your original point, which was (I believe) that Apple is incapable of producing chips for markets above tablets.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

With an extra core it scores lower than last year's midrange that's missing 1/3rd of it's clock speed. It's really tempting to cobble together a guess from the boiled-down leftovers from popular press, but you're making statements based on generalities of generalities and every single data point underneath them doesn't add up the way you want it to.

I'm not saying it would be faster or even as quick as Haswells. Bay Trail is the better comparison. I'm saying that 95% of consumers would probably be OK with this in the Macbook Air, and those that care could look at it as more reason to get the Pro.

This is mostly moot speculation, but in general consumers have way more CPU performance than they need and wouldn't miss much by going down to something slower.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Twerk from Home posted:

It would not compare favorably with the Atom processors, because there is no rewritten full OS X designed to be ready to go on ARM at a moment's notice, and even if Apple has been keeping a secret one ready to go there's the entire rest of the mac app store that needs to be moved over.

Also yes they are "that expensive" as they sell new for $900 for the cheapest 11 inch and $1000 for the cheapest 13 inch. People are not going to accept suddenly vastly slower devices for the same price because "intel went too far" in some vague way. The whole reason you get an Air is that it actually is reasonably fast and all that! I mean these things come standard with a full Core i5.

Anyone who would accept the slow speeds already buys significantly cheaper devices like low end Atom computers, or Chromebooks running ARM. You could buy several of them for the same price.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm not saying it would be faster or even as quick as Haswells. Bay Trail is the better comparison. I'm saying that 95% of consumers would probably be OK with this in the Macbook Air, and those that care could look at it as more reason to get the Pro.
2 years ago we'd be laughing you out of the thread for even speaking of the Atom line as something that anyone anywhere would want. Comparing Atoms to ARMs is nothing special. You specifically said the A8X could be dropped into laptops, backed it up with a lovely popular press article, and are now backing off that terrible point.

Twerk from Home posted:

This is mostly moot speculation, but in general consumers have way more CPU performance than they need and wouldn't miss much by going down to something slower.
The Moore/Gates taketh away quote still applies. Whatever you give people in terms of hardware, there's a new js framework eager to suck up as many of those cycles as possible to make a pig dance.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Menacer posted:

This breakdown is pure pedantry. It doesn't say anything towards your original point, which was (I believe) that Apple is incapable of producing chips for markets above tablets.

Wait, they aren't? I didn't know that. My original point was that applesux and intel literally roolz

I like OS X from a helpdesk perspective in that Average Jane/Joe doesn't have to learn how/why the OS works in certain ways to use it without loving up

edit: it doesn't take a brain to post, baby! Ham it up!

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 29, 2014

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Ah, you didn't have a cogent point or a reason for posting. My mistake.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Menacer posted:

Ah, you didn't have a cogent point or a reason for posting. My mistake.

lets fite

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000

JawnV6 posted:

lets fite
the company whose products i purchase could beat up the company whose products you purchase

step off

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Menacer posted:

the company whose products i purchase could beat up the company whose products you purchase
lol is this OoO posting

Menacer posted:

step off
step #10

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
i have an in-order commitment to interrupting your bullshit and explaining your faults. no exceptions.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
people should probably take CPU perf measurements with power figures between phone/tablet and laptop/desktop with a huge grain of salt because measuring actual power consumption and accounting for process differences is Hard; NOP; NOP; NOP

(it is an ia64 post)

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Intel is benevolent. They have been adjusting their prices pretty much to inflation since the 486 if I recall correctly.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
Last time I built a computer, I paid like $100 for an AMD proc. What am I looking at these days for ~$100-150 from AMD?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I am not a book posted:

Last time I built a computer, I paid like $100 for an AMD proc. What am I looking at these days for ~$100-150 from AMD?

An Intel processor. Come to the computer parts picking thread and post your needs.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I am not a book posted:

Don't buy an AMD CPU. If you are near a Microcenter, $160 gets you an Intel Core i5, and if you're not then $60 gets you an Intel G3258. These are better options than anything AMD has.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
I run various linux devel channels. I want an AMD proc specifically because fewer people buy them.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I am not a book posted:

I run various linux devel channels. I want an AMD proc specifically because fewer people buy them.

You're a saint. I think FX6350 and FX8320s are in that range. 6 and 8 cores, respectively.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You're a saint. I think FX6350 and FX8320s are in that range. 6 and 8 cores, respectively.

Thank you!

Also, I never realized how close to the bone the "goons are spergs" thing really cut until now. Jesus Christ people the OP of both this and the hardware picking threads say "Buy Intel", how much does Andy Bryant pay you all to suck his dick if it's silly that I can't get a god damned recommendation for AMD when I specifically ask for it.

I am not a book fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 30, 2014

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I am not a book posted:

Thank you!

Also, I never realized how close to the bone the "goons are spergs" thing really cut until now. Jesus Christ people the OP of both this and the hardware picking threads say "Buy Intel", how much does Andy Bryant pay you all to suck his dick if I can't get a god damned recommendation for AMD when I specifically ask for it?
In their defense the thread does regularly get an AMD fanboy from the days when AMD was performance champion who is asking for an AMD recommendation on the assumption that their price / performance is still close to Intel. For those people the recommendation to just buy Intel is good advice.

If you had included a single sentence explaining why you were requesting AMD specifically, you might have gotten the response you wanted.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I am not a book posted:

Thank you!

Also, I never realized how close to the bone the "goons are spergs" thing really cut until now. Jesus Christ people the OP of both this and the hardware picking threads say "Buy Intel", how much does Andy Bryant pay you all to suck his dick if I can't get a god damned recommendation for AMD when I specifically ask for it?

Maybe because you posted in a thread for recommending hardware that is a good purchase, you ignorant oval office. If you had come in saying "I specifically need AMD for *this* reason, irrelevant of it being worse" you would've got recommendations. Asking vaguely "what is a good AMD processor?" is going to get you recommended Intel because for the same money the Intel processors are objectively better.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 30, 2014

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
^^^ "You ignorant oval office". You are mad mad mad about melted sand. Have you considered alcohol and/or sex? ^^^

Rastor posted:

In their defense the thread does regularly get an AMD fanboy from the days when AMD was performance champion who is asking for an AMD recommendation on the assumption that their price / performance is still close to Intel. For those people the recommendation to stop being a fanboy is good advice.

If you had included a single sentence explaining why you were requesting AMD specifically, you might have gotten the response you wanted.

If I wanted to justify myself to goons more than I had to, I'd post in E/N. OP hasn't been updated in years, and the fact that fanboys exist doesn't mean that everyone who wants to buy AMD is a 1337 haxxor.

I am not a book fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I am not a book posted:

If I wanted to justify myself to goons more than I had to, I'd post in E/N. The fact that fanboys exist doesn't mean that everyone who wants to buy AMD is a 1337 haxxor.

We aren't fanboys, we just have a functioning brain and can read benchmarks.

And being nice guys, we warn people who don't have one of those two traits. If you don't put in more effort than a single sentence, we will be cautious and assume you may lack one of them. We like to play it safe.

• Locked thread