Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Poroshenko has been busy today. He signed the law to remove Ukraine's non-aligned status and declared if fighting resumes he will impose martial law.

https://twitter.com/euromaidan/status/549557261878951936

He also stated that Moscow has agreed to January 15 being a possible date for the Norman Format.

quote:

President of Ukraine Poroshenko said at a press conference on 15 January in Astana to take part in the meeting of the leaders of Germany, France, Russia and Ukraine. Moscow confirmed that on 15 January is one of the possible dates for the meeting in the "Norman format" on the situation in the Donbas

This was stated Tass Russian diplomatic source. "Indeed, January 15 - a date and called as a possible future meeting for the" Norman format "- the source said.

As reported Espreso.TV , Poroshenko said that January 15 will meet in Astana "Norman format".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bignose
Mar 21, 2006
fucked up

waitwhatno posted:

Bold statement.

Let's start with the idea that speaking of western media is inaccurate. Here in Germany, TV news on public channels are some of the most watched programs overall. Millions of people use them every day to form opinions about things. All opinions on public TV are completely monolithic, due to the requirement of being apolitical. A single news paper is dominating the national market completely.

Mass media is not homogenous, but largely dominated by few monopolies that decide public opinion.

Huh, are you one of the "Systempresse!" guys or one of the Ulfkotte supporters? We still have a pluralistic media landscape in Germany even though mistakes were made after the downing of MH17. Check Misha Anouks Analysis on http://indub.io/blog/2014/11/03/systempresse/ or Niggemeier's piece on Krautreporter https://krautreporter.de/46--die-wahrheit-uber-die-lugen-der-journalisten (sorry, both in German)

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Mightypeon's posts are always interesting to read. He 'lies by omission' to an extent, and the emotional outbursts that his rhetorical approach seems to provoke are probably being intentionally elicited in order to make his arguments seem more valid by virtue of being comparatively even-toned.

What does mightypeon really think? I'm not 100% sure. That makes me suspicious of his arguments, but there's a certain informative value to them, to an extent.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Always looking for two sides of an issue is just a convenient lazy way out for people who don't care about the truth (extremely common in US media, BTW).

What? How can reading different opinions be considered lazy? Nobody is forcing you to embrace these different opinions and of course you are an idiot if you do so blindly.

For example, one thing I have learned from listening to the Russian perspective is that Ukraine is not an independent actor. This is a goal, something to strive for but not reality right now. Future European policy should slowly work toward making it more independent in terms of economy, military and energy. But right now it's co-ruled from Moscow. If you live in a horrible abusive relationship you gotta plan your escape carefully, trying to make a stand during a drunken rage fit only gets you killed. (Not that Europe has any plans to help Ukraine out)

The Russian reaction was supposedly predictable, if someone bothered to listen to Kremlins crazy ramblings. Not to me though, or most other people in Europe because we thought that Ukraine is a independent country and can do whatever it wants. A narrative that persists to this day.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
"Reading" different opinions isn't lazy. But "news" reporting them is. There is no public service in "reporting" cynical, bigoted
propaganda of a irredentist state.

And good to see you reveal you managed to pick up Russian contempt of the Ukrainian people, and apparently
now think that Ukrainians don't have a fundamental right to decide their own destiny.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

OddObserver posted:

"Reading" different opinions isn't lazy. But "news" reporting them is. There is no public service in "reporting" cynical, bigoted

And good to see you reveal you managed to pick up Russian contempt of the Ukrainian people, and apparently
now think that Ukrainians don't have a fundamental right to decide their own destiny.

Dude, come on. Your second paragraph just proved his point. :cripes:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Disco Infiva posted:

Dude, come on. Your second paragraph just proved his point. :cripes:

If his point is that understanding Russian bigotry will help predict their actions than I apologize, as it's certainly true, but to me it sounds an awful lot like he feels it ought to be appeased, which means denying Ukrainians rights to chose their own path, merely because a previous president was a puppet.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Who decides what is mindless hate mongering and what is an insight into another world view? I don't agree with mightypeon most of the time but he has never expressed any hate towards anyone AFAIK.

About Ukrainians, of course they do. But there is a nice German saying: Being right and getting justice are to different things.

No matter how unjust it is, but right now Russia decides Ukrains fate. Because no one else is willing to do anything about it, because of decades of Soviet economic integration, because it's just what it is. It doesn't have to stay that way though, and hopefully won't.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Poroshenko has been busy today. He signed the law to remove Ukraine's non-aligned status and declared if fighting resumes he will impose martial law.

https://twitter.com/euromaidan/status/549557261878951936

He also stated that Moscow has agreed to January 15 being a possible date for the Norman Format.

I might've missed something, what's the Norman Format?

Also, what are the practical implications of imposing martial law, and what constitutes resuming fighting considering quite a lot of fighting has continued regardless?

I had wondered about those landmines. When you mine an area it also denies it to your own army, so it's not too smart to do a lot of mining if you're planning a big, general offensive, and leaving mine fields at your back creates other problems. Could that be a sign that the separatists are settling for keeping the territory they have? With the deaths of those Russian marines and the general competence of separatist leadership I wouldn't be too surprised if they set a bunch of mines and then blundered into them in their next attack.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Normandy format. Ukraine, Russia, Germany and France.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MP has been saying the same apologist bullshit for months, there's a reason his word vomit is ignored. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut on occasion, but that doesn't make wading through its poo poo worth it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Russia has apparently decided that the most effective way of dealing with potential January 15th protests on Navalny brothers' sentencing on that day
(better than having social networks block mentions of them) would be to... have the verdict delivered tomorrow instead.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/russian-court-brings-forward-navalny-fraud-verdict-1419866430

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Because when hastily taken decisions did ever go wrong.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Regardless of whether he is or not, I vastly prefer to think of Mightypeon to be a Kremlin propaganda agent, simply because I want to live in a universe where someone has to write a classified intelligence report to their boss using our forum names.

"The 'Teddybear' is skeptical of my intentions, and 'SMERSH Mouth' enjoys my posts, although he is imploring me to eat the eggs."

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

OddObserver posted:

Russia has apparently decided that the most effective way of dealing with potential January 15th protests on Navalny brothers' sentencing on that day
(better than having social networks block mentions of them) would be to... have the verdict delivered tomorrow instead.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/russian-court-brings-forward-navalny-fraud-verdict-1419866430

This should get interesting. And a link not behind a paywall.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-29/russia-brings-forward-verdict-in-case-of-putin-opponent-navalny.html

If you're writing a news article about it, how is it a secret trial? According to this report, people who protested against Annexation of Crimea will be facing criminal charges in a secret court trial.

http://www.khpg.org/en/index.php?id=1419727403

quote:

More details have emerged of the secrecy behind the separate and closed trial of Gennady Afanasyev whose testimony is probably the only ‘evidence’ in the ‘Crimean terrorist plot’ charges against four opponents of Russia’s annexation of the Crimea, including renowned film director Oleg Sentsov and left-wing activist Oleksandr Kolchenko. Information about his conviction and sentencing to 7 years imprisonment and a further 1.5 years restriction of liberty coincided with the court hearings into Kolchenko and Sentsov’s detention. Both hearings ended with the detention being extended until April.

As reported, it was the investigator at the hearing on Kolchenko’s detention who first revealed that Afanasyev’s case was being heard in separate proceedings, and that he had been sentenced to 7 years. The verdict had been passed four days earlier by the Moscow City Court in a trial held behind closed doors. The very fact that his case was already at ‘trial’ stage had not been revealed, meaning that the lawyers representing Sentsov and Kolchenko had no opportunity to cross examine the person whose testimony (together with that of Oleksy Chirny) forms the only basis for the charges against their clients.

Kolchenko and Sentsov’s lawyers believe that Afanasyev made a deal with the investigators, giving false testimony against the others in exchange for the minimum sentence envisaged for ‘terrorism’. This corresponds to the account given by Sentsov who, together with Kolchenko, has repeatedly asserted that he was subjected to torture and pressure while in detention in Simferopol. The 38-year-old film director and solo parent says that the investigators tried to get him to make false assertions about EuroMaidan which he actively supported and the new Kyiv administration. He was told that if he did not, he would face even more serious charges. He refused and is now charged with being the ‘mastermind’ of a Right Sector ‘plot’.

Questionable secrecy over dubious charges

There was secrecy over the arrests and initial detention of all four men, with access even to lawyers being initially denied. The first public statement from Russia’s FSB came on May 30, after the men had been taken to Moscow. The alleged terrorist acts in that statement do not correspond with those which Afanasyev has been convicted of. This, and the fact that there is no hard evidence, only confessions, to back the claim that Sentsov ‘masterminded’ the alleged ‘plot’, make it especially suspicious that the other defendants’ lawyers were not informed of the proceedings and allowed to attend.

It is unclear whether there was an actual trial as such, and who was present at the pronouncement of sentence on Dec 17. The human rights website Mediazona first reported the result on Dec 25, but had almost certainly only been present at the hearing on Kolchenko’s detention. Their report repeated the FSB May 30 statement claiming that Afanasyev was part of a group led by Oleg Sentsov which in April 2014, acting on the instructions of the Ukrainian Right Sector, created a ‘diversionary-terrorist group’ in Simferopol. According to this version, Afanasyev, Chirny and Kolchenko, as well as “other unidentified individuals” had, on Sentsov’s instructions, carried out arson attacks on buildings of the Russian Community of the Crimea on April 14 and the local branch of the United Russia party on April 18. In both cases it was earlier reported that a Molotov cocktail had been thrown, with the Russian Community having a door slightly burned, and United Russia – a window damaged.

The prosecution also asserts that, again following Sentsov’s instructions, Chirny and Afanasyev obtained homemade explosive devices which were supposed to be used for two terrorist acts on May 9 – blowing up the monument to Lenin at the railway square in Simferopol and the Eternal Flame memorial. It claims that the explosions did not happen since both men were arrested first. While Afanasyev does appear to have been detained before Sentsov who was arrested late on May 10, the first mention of Oleksy Chirny came considerably later in May. Chirny is the least known of any of the four men, but significantly the only one whose social network page indicated a moderate degree of support for the far-right national ‘Right Sector’.

The first mention of ‘Right Sector’ came in the FSB statement on May 30. That version claimed that the main aim of what they termed a ‘Right Sector diversionary terrorist group’ was to carry out ‘diversionary-terrorist’ acts in Simferopol; Yalta and Sevastopol, and in the last of these to destroy a number of buildings, railway bridges and power lines.

The FSB claim to have carried out searches and found: “explosive devices, firearms; ammunition; canisters with inflammatory substances; construction helmets (similar ones were used during the disturbances on ‘Maidan’; respirators; gas masks; aerosol paint cans; nationalist symbols, etc.”

Once again, if these ‘were found’, it must have been at the homes of the two men who have given ‘confessions’, since nothing of the kind appears to have been found at either Sentsov or Kolchenko’s homes. All the more reason for the latter’s lawyers to have been present at Afanasyev’s trial and allowed to ask questions.

The secrecy does not, unfortunately, end there. All lawyers have been forced to sign a commitment that they will not reveal any details of the case. There are undoubtedly cases where details about a terrorist act or conspiracy may be concealed to protect informants or for other reasons. The present case, however, is gravely flawed and there are enough disturbing elements to justify the suspicion that the efforts underway are aimed at hiding the damning lack of any substance to the charges facing Sentsov and Kolchenko.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 29, 2014

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

OddObserver posted:

No, it's not a complicated issue.

RUSSIA BAD, EVERYONE ELSE GOOD

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

AllanGordon posted:

RUSSIA BAD, EVERYONE ELSE GOOD

Russia bad, others not so bad atm

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Baracula posted:

Russia bad, others not so bad atm

Russia bad seems like an understatement tbh.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sergiu64 posted:

Russia bad seems like an understatement tbh.

Exactly. No nation is a pure force of good naturally, but Russia is still pretty bad.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Ruble's at 58.8 to the dollar again and going up like a rocket.

I did predict it.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

And oil's dropped to $57.00. I heard earlier 7% drop for the ruble but this is even better. :getin:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Warcabbit posted:

Ruble's at 58.8 to the dollar again and going up like a rocket.

I did predict it.
I think there are if only a few of us in this thread who thought that rouble became eternally stable in turn with Great Chieftains conference.

Does anyone have some oil-related news to read?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

In three days we have:

Lithuania converts to the Euro.

Latvia chairs the Eurozone.

Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Armenia launch the Eurasian Union.

It's almost as if this oil price war were planned.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I saw the edit. :v:

Wonder, how much will, in fact, change with the Eurasian Union.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
This is a bit random, but a website that specializes in interviewing international relations scholars landed an interview with everybody's favorite -- Alexander Dugin. I haven't raked through it yet, but figured I'd throw it out there.

http://www.theory-talks.org/2014/12/theory-talk-66.html

Dugin posted:

Today, Russia thinks of itself as a nation-state. Putin is a realist; nothing more. Walt is right about that. But the Theory of a Multipolar World and the Fourth Political Theory, as well as Eurasianism, are outlines of a much broader and large-scale ideology, directed against Western hegemony and challenging liberalism, globalization, and American strategic dominance. Of course, Russia as a nation-state is no competition for the West. But as the bridgehead of the Theory of a Multipolar World and the Fourth Political Theory, it changes its significance. Russian policies in the post-Soviet space and Russia’s courage in forming non-Western alliances are indicators. For now, Putin is testing this conceptual potential very gingerly. But the toughening of relations with the West and most likely the internal crises of globalization will at some point force a more careful and serious turn toward the creation of global alternative alliances. Nevertheless, we already observe such unions: The Shanghai Cooperation Organization, BRICS, the Eurasian Union—and they require a new ideology. Not one like Marxism, any universalism is excluded, but also not simple realist maneuvers of regional hegemons. Liberalism is a global challenge. The response to it should also be global. Does Putin understand this? Honestly, I don’t know. Sometimes it seems he does, and sometimes it seems he doesn’t.

edit for clickbait

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 29, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

If you're writing a news article about it, how is it a secret trial? According to this report, people who protested against Annexation of Crimea will be facing criminal charges in a secret court trial.

It's secret in that the proceedings will be even less available to the public when compared with other proceedings under the relevant legal system.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

kalstrams posted:

I think there are if only a few of us in this thread who thought that rouble became eternally stable in turn with Great Chieftains conference.

I mean I predicted, in this thread, it would skyrocket while the central bank is on Christmas break.
Stabilized at 58.4 or so.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Warcabbit posted:

I mean I predicted, in this thread, it would skyrocket while the central bank is on Christmas break.
Oh, sorry, I did miss that.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Warcabbit posted:

Russia doesn't celebrate Christmas in December though.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
That's why their break is extended. They shut down with the world markets, and then extend for their Christmas.
I suspect they're not fully closed this year, but they're not at full capacity and half of everyone's gone. It'll limit their reaction speed.

Expect a bumpy recover-and-boost series of events for the next week or so. I'm sure the bigwigs who have to sign off on decisions are gone but reachable by cell, but who wants to make the call? If it gets very bad, they'll come back in eventually.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 29, 2014

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

In three days we have:

Lithuania converts to the Euro.

Latvia chairs the Eurozone.

Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Armenia launch the Eurasian Union.
The 'we have always been at war with Eurasia' jokes get even easier

It's almost as if this oil price war were planned.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Forgall posted:

Why on earth is there an organized effort to prevent conflict with fools who can't even celebrate Christmas correctly?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

El Perkele posted:

Why I call you a hivemind is because I see dozens of posts that are similar to your "astute observations" written in many languages. They are so similar that they raise suspicions. The point is that you are not original and your point of view is continously employed as propaganda. That's why I think you are also a tool for propangada. I am not quite certain if you do it wittingly, but hey, if it quacks like a duck..

You can call pretty much anyone hivemind then. No opinion is so unique that you couldn't find a dozen people sharing it. And it's really weird that you count the fact that people from different countries/languages are expressing a similar opinion, as an argument against the validity of that opinion.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Warcabbit posted:

I'm disappointed that I didn't get the chance to repeatedly refresh the Google conversion calculator and watch the value plummet second by second.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Forgall posted:

American with a Russian family, two Christmas celebrations! :toot:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Turns out the new ad for the chief Russian TV hatemonger Dmitry Kiselev was copied from the Robocop remake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBHdE4cMWnc

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Here is an interesting video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axv6Pf_rGl8

Cossacks speak out against LNR authorities and demand they resign. Go into settings to turn on English subtitles.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

With little surprise I discover that the issue again is Zionist plot.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

kalstrams posted:

With little surprise I discover that the issue again is Zionist plot.

So is their dispute on whether it's a Jewish plot or Jewish[*]-Masonic plot?

In response, someone actually posted this on Twitter, commenting on how Cossacks never change:

I am kinda wondering if it's a photoshop though, the resemblance is a bit too much.... and I just found the RHS
image on Google with posts from as early as 2010. Wow.

[*] Not actually the word used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Could some Balkan goons weigh in on credibility of http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/police-raids-bosnia-s-most-popular-online-media-newsroom website?

OddObserver posted:

So is their dispute on whether it's a Jewish plot or Jewish[*]-Masonic plot?
Sorry, didn't get time to watch it completely.

• Locked thread