Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Peztopiary posted:

You win man. 'Watering hole pappy incest' has soundly defeated my half-baked arguments and I withdraw mortally wounded, all my contentions about JFK for naught. Congratulations. I'm going to talk about the Inner Earth now, maybe. Or maybe something more ridiculous.

"you guys are so mean refusing to engage with the same poo poo that's been debunked at face value! I'm talking my ball of dumb bullshit and going home!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That still raises the issue of how you manage to specifically shoot kennedy in the head without hosing down half the street with gunfire.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Oh wow I've never seen that picture.

OwlFancier posted:

I didn't think the M16 had been invented then honestly.

The AR-15 hadn't been adopted as a service weapon, but a select-fire AR is the same as an M16. The AR-15 was invented in the late fifties and JFK apparently shot one on his boat.

They are also loud, it's funny to think that nobody would notice it going off at street level.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

That still raises the issue of how you manage to specifically shoot kennedy in the head without hosing down half the street with gunfire.

It's select fire. He could have had it on single shot as opposed to fully automatic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

It's select fire. He could have had it on single shot as opposed to fully automatic.
Yeah I know, but doing that from one moving vehicle to another, in one shot, without trying seems a bit far fetched.

I've watched the matrix, they spent like half an hour trying to do that with machineguns and it didn't work. And if there's one historical source I can trust, it's the matrix.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 29, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

MothraAttack posted:

Joking aside, I know a guy who served in the CIA during early parts of the Vietnam War who said that members of the Company in that era were firmly convinced that LBJ was behind it all. He kind of half subscribed to it himself (I don't), but it does speak to unorthodox attitudes among spooks in the mid-to-late '60s. It also probably reflects on them a good deal since the CIA isn't known for its support of social progress and all that.

I prefer my own theory where Kennedy nobly arranged his own assassination so that Johnson cculd use the political goodwill to enact their legislative agenda

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 29, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
This is all very interesting because it just goes to show you that the Secret Service was thinking about a lot of poo poo, even back then. We know about the crazy Lincoln in which JFK was killed, the armor and special plexiglas top that wasn't used. I'm sure SS would have preferred that they always use the closed top, but it was hard to convince a politician that you should put a barrier between them and the people.

Likewise, it makes all the sense in the world for the follow car to have an AR-15 on board, even in its early stages of development. With proper cleaning and maintenance, the AR would have been the perfect medicine, for urban counter-sniper to laying down suppressing fire to get out of an ambush. No doubt agents tried that poo poo out on the range and were like "yes please."

From reading the wiki synopsis, it looks like the author of Mortal Error tries to make the AR-15/M16 out to be an unreliable or dangerous platform, using examples of weapon failures in Vietnam. But we all know those failures weren't because of the design, they were because proper maintenance procedures weren't used or taught. They certainly didn't involve any indictment of the AR as an unsafe design. It's exactly the kind of sloppy elision you find over and over in conspiracy lit.

e:

PupsOfWar posted:

I prefer my own theory where Kennedy nobly arranged his own assassination so that Johnson cculd use the political goodwill to enact their legislative agenda

The Last Temptation of JFK

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 29, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hmm, I guess AddMEonFacebook fled once he figured out that he doesn't have any proof for his accusations. I think that we at least managed to convince him that anecdotal evidence is bullshit, maybe

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I know, but doing that from one moving vehicle to another, in one shot, without trying seems a bit far fetched.

Ya think? :)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

As a bit of an aside I was introduced to the Mysterious Universe podcast by some friends and it is great fun. In 4 episodes I've learned about fairies, goatmen, psychics, and that apparently there are things that are too crazy for even the hosts of this podcast to believe.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

QuarkJets posted:

Hmm, I guess AddMEonFacebook fled once he figured out that he doesn't have any proof for his accusations. I think that we at least managed to convince him that anecdotal evidence is bullshit, maybe

Nah he/she just went to work, or sleep, or something. There's no winning that battle.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

AddMEonFacebook posted:

Tolstoy basically predicts WW1 in 1894.
People have been predicting war with China over Taiwan since the 1940s. That does not mean that, if such a war happens, we can point to all those people and say "THEY WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG AND WE SHOULD HAVE LISTENED".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SedanChair posted:

This is all very interesting because it just goes to show you that the Secret Service was thinking about a lot of poo poo, even back then. We know about the crazy Lincoln in which JFK was killed, the armor and special plexiglas top that wasn't used. I'm sure SS would have preferred that they always use the closed top, but it was hard to convince a politician that you should put a barrier between them and the people.

In Kennedy's defense, he was in that car with the top down all the time and he only ever got murdered once.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm pretty sure an easy target like that is asking for it. Given the way he presented himself, he should be happy for all the times he didn't get shot.

Edit: Gobbo, come back! We miss you! Also, how do your parents feel about the current police discussion going on in America? I have to imagine Vancouver can feel the heat of our southern winds.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 30, 2014

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

QuarkJets posted:

Nah. I'm still here. I did like your points on anecdotal evidence, and I'm going to have to watch that philosophy video. I wasn't trying to strawman your point about it, I was just saying that people do use a lot of anecdotal evidence just naturally because it helps fill up their world-view. It'll just happen subconsciously.

You laid out scenario a and and scenario b for what happened on 9/11, but really there are a number of alternatives to both scenarios. The "total conspiracy nut" might go for scenario b and "the sheeple" might go for scenario a, but come on, there are definitely other possibilities. Maybe they simply funded Osama Bin Laden to carry out the attacks and because they knew the date, they were able to use it as a cover for the other things they did that day like destroying building 7. Why did noone die in building 7? It seems like they knew something was going to happen to that building.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster
The logic does flesh out that you are accepting a number of premises on faith to believe the official story. Questioning the official story doesn't necessitate believing everything that anyone ever said about 9/11. The only premise you have to accept to question the story is that there was probably a bomb that destroyed building 7. Just that one premise vs. the half dozen premises that lead to the conclusion that it was terrorists and the government wasn't involved. What is the evidence that building 7 was destroyed by terrorists? It didn't even get hit by a plane. That's undeniable.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Now you reveal not having done even a little research about WTC 7.

Here's what you are not getting. There are a million "possibilities" but none of them has been borne out by investigation, whereas the "official story" has been, and not just by the government. You can talk about the statistical likelihood of this thing or that thing happening but that's not the way life works. All you have is a vague sense of being lied to and that's true, but your perception of what you're being lied to about is totally wrong.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

SedanChair posted:

Now you reveal not having done even a little research about WTC 7.

Here's what you are not getting. There are a million "possibilities" but none of them has been borne out by investigation, whereas the "official story" has been, and not just by the government. You can talk about the statistical likelihood of this thing or that thing happening but that's not the way life works. All you have is a vague sense of being lied to and that's true, but your perception of what you're being lied to about is totally wrong.

How do you think science ever advances without people making hypotheses? If I know I'm being lied to, why accept the lie? Why not be annoying instead? It should bother you when you know you're being lied to. Demand the truth! The investigation was not satisfactory with regard to building 7.

AddMEonFacebook fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 30, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

AddMEonFacebook posted:

How do you think science ever advances without people making hypotheses? If I know I'm being lied to, why accept the lie?

Hypotheses are supposed to be informed by observation. You're supposed to learn what has already been discovered before you go asserting a new hypothesis. In this case, if you truly wanted to be qualified to weigh in on what caused building 7 to collapse, you would want to read the official explanation for why it did. Do you know what that is?

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster
I would be interested in seeing anything that proves fluoride in water improves dental health. What is added to our water isn't dental grade anything. It's toxic waste that comes off of fertilizer plant scrubbers, and these scrubbers are installed exactly for the purpose of keeping the toxic fluoride from escaping into the environment and poisoning it. The industrial plants, instead of losing money disposing of this toxic waste, actually make money by selling it to municipalities.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

SedanChair posted:

Hypotheses are supposed to be informed by observation. You're supposed to learn what has already been discovered before you go asserting a new hypothesis. In this case, if you truly wanted to be qualified to weigh in on what caused building 7 to collapse, you would want to read the official explanation for why it did. Do you know what that is?

The official explanation, I believe, is that debris from the towers caused it to collapse. Further up the line, that all this happened because of Al-Qaeda and Bin Laden being angry over US military bases in Saudi Arabia

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Yeah, I mean, the obvious answer is that fluoride was put in the water so corporations could save money. Everything else is ridiculous.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AddMEonFacebook posted:

I would be interested in seeing anything that proves fluoride in water improves dental health.

Recorded history.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

AddMEonFacebook posted:

Further up the line, that all this happened because of Al-Qaeda and Bin Laden being angry over US military bases in Saudi Arabia

I think even reading about the subject for five minutes could yield a slightly more penetrating analysis than this, even if all you read was Al-Qaeda communiques in translation.

Edit: And not just the 9/11 one in isolation.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nintendo Kid posted:

Recorded history.

There have been so many advances in health, especially dental health. What makes you think it's the fluoride in municipal water supplies that is actually helping people's teeth? This is much different from dental grade fluoride treatments, which I know have good research involved with them. I'm talking about the WATER SUPPLY, not the DENTIST'S OFFICE!

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

Disinterested posted:

I think even reading about the subject for five minutes could yield a slightly more penetrating analysis than this, even if all you read was Al-Qaeda communiques in translation.

It's paraphrased, duh. I'm not trying to create a penetrating analysis of their motives.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AddMEonFacebook posted:

There have been so many advances in health, especially dental health. What makes you think it's the fluoride in municipal water supplies that is actually helping people's teeth?

Recorded history.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nintendo Kid posted:

Recorded history.

Quote an article or something. You're just being arrogant.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

AddMEonFacebook posted:

No you're being willfully ignorant. Is the character you're playing capable of believing anything it's told?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AddMEonFacebook posted:

Quote something that shows it isn't true.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

AddMEonFacebook posted:

The industrial plants, instead of losing money disposing of this toxic waste, actually make money by selling it to municipalities.
You should look into the government regulations and corporate policies on the disposal of toxic waste for the time period when fluoridation of municipal water supplies became widespread.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was a WTC 7 skeptic but in the early pages of this very thread a reasonable argument is laid about regarding

a) The loss of water pressure and failure of the fire suppression system (no sprinklers)
b) Completely unprecedented damage from debris

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

AddMEonFacebook posted:

Thats ignorant, you're just so ignorant. Why don't you quit being so ignorant? God, you're just ignorant and I can't respond to you.

Move to somewhere without safe water supplies and then complain about flouridation. I have a sneaking suspicion your delusions on 9/11 and a global healthcare agenda causing ww1 are related to your thoughts on jews, banking, and the holocaust.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nintendo Kid posted:

Quote something that shows it isn't true.

Ok.

quote:

Reputable researchers from such as Harvard and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and numerable other research investigators, have shown that fluoridation of drinking water can result in brain and other physiological damage producing such abnormalities as:

Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
Hyperactivity or passive malaise -- depending on whether exposure is pre- or postnatal
Alzheimer's disease or senile dementia
The death of brain cells directly involved in the decision making processes
Cracked, pitted and brittle teeth and bones
Higher hip fracture rates
Reduction in intelligence and increased learning disability

http://www.apfn.org/THEWINDS/archive/medical/fluoride01-98.html

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

(citation required)

Can you link the research from EPA and Harvard?

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

My Imaginary GF posted:

(citation required)

Can you link the research from EPA and Harvard?

fixed. np

quote:

REFERENCES:

1. "Fluoride, Teeth and the Atomic Bomb", Griffiths & Bryson, 1997. Author Griffiths indicated that this URL contains an accurate reproduction of their article.

2. John R. Lee, MD, article: "The Truth About Mandatory Fluoridation", April 15, 1995.

3. "Review of Fluoride Benefits and Risks", Department of Health and Human Services, February 1991, p. 7 & p. 31.

4. The Journal of the Canadian Dental Association, Vol. 53, pp 763-765, 1987.

5. "Neurotoxicity of Sodium Fluoride in Rats", Mullenix, P. Neurotoxicology and Teratology", 17(2), 1995.

6. The New England Journal of Medicine -- January 8, 1998 -- Volume 338, Number 2 [SPECIAL ARTICLE] "Conflict of Interest in the Debate over Calcium-Channel Antagonists", Henry Thomas Stelfox, Grace Chua, Keith O'Rourke, Allan S. Detsky.

7. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, Vol. 825 "Neuroprotective Agents, Third International Conference." Title: "Toxin-Induced Blood Vessel Inclusion caused by the Chronic Administration of Aluminum and Sodium Fluoride and their Implication for Dementia." Robert. L. Isaacson, et al, p. 152-166.

also

Robert J. Carton, Ph.D., Former EPA scientist. Article: "Corruption and Fraud at the EPA"

now you

AddMEonFacebook fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 30, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

AddMEonFacebook posted:

fixed. np

now you

http://www.cdc.gov/fluoridation/safety/nas.htm

National Academy of Sciences on Fluoride in Drinking Water

quote:

What is the National Academy of Sciences and why is its opinion important?

The National Academy of Sciences (NAS) is one of four organizations that comprise the National Academies — the other three are the National Academy of Engineering, the Institute of Medicine, and the National Research Council (NRC). The National Academies perform an unparalleled public service by bringing together committees of experts in all areas of scientific and technological endeavor. These experts serve pro bono to advise the federal government and the general public on scientific and technological issues that affect people's lives worldwide.

There have been several reports and booklets by the NAS and NRC with references to water fluoridation.

The 1951 NRC Fluoridation Report

NRC first reported on fluoride in drinking water November 29, 1951, and found that fluoridation was safe and effective. It was recommended that any communities with a child population of sufficient size, and that obtained their water from sources free from or low in fluoride, should consider adjusting the concentration to optimum levels for oral health. This report is not available through the NRC at this time, although copies may be found in libraries. A summary and presentation of the findings of the original report was published in the January 1952 edition of Journal American Water Works Association Vol 44, no. 1, p1–8, January, 1952. National Research Council Fluoridation Report, Kenneth F. Maxcy, J.L.T. Amleton, Basil G. Bibby, H. Trendley Dean, A. McGehee Harvey, Francis F. Heyroth. Journal of Public Health Dentistry, Volume 12, Issue 1, Pages 24–33, 1952 by the American Association of Public Health Dentistry.

The 1977 NRC Report on Drinking Water and Health

In this 1977 report, the NRC included ingestion of fluoride in drinking water as part of its evaluation to support the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in the effort to comply with the 1974 Safe Drinking Water Act on the scientific basis for the Interim Primary Drinking Water Regulations that were part of the Act. This scientific study specifically considered potential adverse health effects of substances in drinking water. The central effort of the study was an assessment of the long-term biological effects of ingesting the variety of different substances present in trace amounts in drinking water. The volume included an extensive analysis on fluoride intake and concluded that "There is no generally accepted evidence that anyone has been harmed by drinking water with fluoride concentrations considered optimal." Only two adverse health effects were identified including dental fluorosis and skeletal fluorosis "occurring when fluoride is at levels in excess of the concentrations recommended for good oral health." This report can be purchased from the National Academy of Sciences and is identified as Library of Congress Catalog 77–089284 or International Standard Book Number 0-309-02619–9.

The 1993 NRC Report on Health Effects of Ingested Fluoride

In 1993, the NRC concluded that the EPA maximum contaminant level of 4 mg/L in drinking water was an appropriate standard and was safe for ingestion at levels considered optimal for oral health. The report also identified additional studies to address fluoride intake, dental fluorosis, bone strength, and carcinogenicity.

The 2006 NRC Report on Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA's Standards

In 2006, the NRC stated in this report that in developing regulatory standards for high levels of fluoride in drinking water, three adverse health effects warranted consideration: severe enamel (dental) fluorosis from exposure to these high levels between birth and 8 years of age, risk of bone fractures, and severe forms of skeletal fluorosis (a rare condition in the United States) after lifetime exposure.

See the Community Water Fluoridation: Questions and Answers for further information about the responsibilities of the EPA for setting standards for fluoride in water.

The 2007 NRC Report on Earth Materials and Health: Research Priorities for Earth Sciences and Public Health

In this report, the NRC considered research issues related to the medical geology field on connections between earth science and public health, addressing both positive and negative societal impacts. This report identified fluoride as a mineral that can positively influence human health, and although earlier NRC reports were not conclusive in their opinions, this report concluded that fluoride was considered to be an element essential for human life based on its role in cellular functions involving metabolic or biochemical processes. The report further stated that fluoride in drinking water has two beneficial effects: preventing tooth decay (dental caries) and contributing to bone mineralization and bone matrix integrity.

Does CDC consider the opinion of the NRC on fluoride in drinking water in its own recommendation on community water fluoridation?

Yes, CDC considers comprehensive reviews by the NRC and other systematic scientific studies in its recommendation that community water fluoridation is a safe, effective, and inexpensive method to reduce tooth decay among populations with access to community water systems. Water fluoridation should be continued in communities currently fluoridating and extended to those without fluoridation.

Gee, who should I trust to have a better understanding of science, the National Academy of Science, or Joe Schizophrenic on SA?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

You linked a made up website good job. Recorded history shows otherwise.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

AddMEonFacebook posted:

fixed. np

now you

Do you even read this poo poo? The relied upon statements in the 1991 EPA study are:

quote:

Bone Fractures. There is some suggestion from epidemiological studies that the incidence of certain bone fractures may be greater in some communities with either naturally high or adjusted fluoride levels. However, there are a number of confounding factors that need resolution to determine whether or not an association exists. Additionally, other studies do not show an increase in the incidence of bone fractures; one study provided evidence of a lower incidence of bone fractures in an optimally fluoridated community as compared to a similar community with trace levels of fluoride in the water. Therefore, further research is required.

and

quote:

Optimal fluoridation of drinking water does not pose a detectable cancer risk to humans as evidenced by extensive human epidemiological data available to date, including the new studies prepared for this report. While the presence of fluoride in sources other than drinking water reduces the ability to discriminate between exposure in fluoridated as compared to non-fluoridated communizes, no trends in cancer risk, including the risk of osteosarcoma, were attributed to the introduction of fluoride into drinking water in these new studies. During two time periods, 1973-1980 and 1981-1987, there was an unexplained increase of osteosarcoma in males under age 20. The reason for this increase remains to be clarified, but an extensive analysis reveals that it is unrelated to the introduction and duration of fluoridation.

Further epidemiological studies are required to determine whether or not an association exists between various levels of fluoride in drinking water and bone fractures.

Well-controlled studies have not demonstrated a beneficial effect of the use of high doses of fluoride in reducing osteoporosis and related bone fractures.

These are not negative remarks - neutral at best. Meanwhile....

quote:

Extensive studies over the past 50 years have established that individuals whose drinking water is fluoridated show a reduction in dental caries. Although the comparative degree of measurable benefit has been reduced recently as other fluoride sources have become available in non-fluoridated areas, the benefits of water fluoridation are still clearly evident. Fewer caries are associated with fewer abscesses and extractions of teeth and with improved health. The health and economic benefits of water fluoridation accrue to individuals of all ages and socioeconomic groups, especially to poor children.

The only way you can read that EPA report negatively is if you cannot read at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster
Did you even read that? They say it's dangerous.

• Locked thread