Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

Well, how comfortable are you with rocking the boat?

If you weren't hired with the expectation you would be on call over weekends, I'd let your manager know this and follow up with HR.

When I questioned my manager about a new policy that made me the 24/7/365 primary on call person for <critical app> (when my position has never contained any on call support nor does it have any in the description) I was told that I should be happy to have this job and that there is an "other duties as assigned" line at the bottom of the description (so get to work slave). They can't seem to understand why my morale would be low. The joys of living in the middle of nowhere in an "at will" state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

n3rdal3rt posted:

I was told that I should be happy to have this job and that there is an "other duties as assigned" line at the bottom of the description (so get to work slave).

Just wait until you put in your notice: The sociopath will berate you for being a "mercenary".

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

n3rdal3rt posted:

When I questioned my manager about a new policy that made me the 24/7/365 primary on call person for <critical app> (when my position has never contained any on call support nor does it have any in the description) I was told that I should be happy to have this job and that there is an "other duties as assigned" line at the bottom of the description (so get to work slave). They can't seem to understand why my morale would be low. The joys of living in the middle of nowhere in an "at will" state.

aaaaaaand that's the point where you spend every possible moment finding a new job

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Just wait until you put in your notice: The sociopath will berate you for being a "mercenary".

I was called a whore by someone else in the organization when they found out I had applied for a new job solely because it paid better. They were only partially joking.
I unashamedly agreed.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

aaaaaaand that's the point where you spend every possible moment finding a new job

Have to sell my house first. The closest reasonable work area is an hour and half commute each way. I've been looking though.

n3rdal3rt fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 29, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I feel like your avatar is especially fitting right now.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Thanks for forwarding my desk phone to my cell phone. No, it's just the flu, I'll be fine, glad to help.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pudgygiant posted:

Thanks for forwarding my desk phone to my cell phone. No, it's just the flu, I'll be fine, glad to help.

If you don't have a sore throat, this is the time to hack as loudly and continuously as you can directly into the receiver.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Good news: being let out early because of the snow.

Bad news: CTO came over to my desk and said to me, "You should think about getting snow tires because I don't want to have to feel like I need to let you leave early because you don't have the proper tires. They're an inexpensive investment and will make you that much safer."

gently caress you. First of all, snow tires do not make driving in snow or ice safe. Driving in snow and ice is dangerous, period. I don't care what you're driving, it's always dangerous. If the conditions are such that driving in all-seasons warrants going home/closing the office, then winter tires will not make the conditions safer to drive. You're not invincible in your all-wheel drive vehicle and that attitude endangers the lives of others on the road.

Second of all, if you're saying that I need to buy snow tires as part of my job, then buy them for me. I don't even have a place to store an extra set of tires in my tiny rear end apartment, let alone the cash to drop hundreds of dollars of my own money because some bitch at work told me to.

Third of all, you make a quarter of a million dollars in salary, don't tell me what's affordable you bourgeoisie son of a bitch. If you cared about my safety, you'd foot the bill. You don't; you care about the metrics. Kill yourself.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Glorious rant, but 'all seasons' aren't.
Proper tires really do make a difference, to the point where border patrol here in Norway have taken to just applying wheel locks to foreign trucks arriving off the ferries if they lack proper tires+snow chains in the winter.

All seasons is bullshit because no rubber mix exist that performs satisfactorily over a large temperature range. Winter tires will disintegrate in a few weeks of driving in high summer, and any tire that doesn't will become far too hard in the cold to get any sort of grip on snow or ice.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
gently caress that, the only poo poo I need to be on site to fix is printers. If everyone else has hosed off home, so shall I. I will be happy to hop on the VPN. I may not be sober when I do so.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Would heed the Norwegian's advice regarding winter tyres tires.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Sure, I'll accede that if you live in a place like Norway where helium is constantly in a liquid state, snow tires make a difference. But all-season tires are actually very good in all seasons, and are good enough for everything but the most extreme climates.

Doesn't change the fact that laying the fault of weather and physics on my shoulders and trying to guilt trip me into buying something expensive that doesn't actually make driving in dangerous conditions not dangerous just so you can make me come into work when I shouldn't is beyond asinine.

Coming into work is not worth sacrificing my safety, and I shouldn't be expected to do that.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

All season tires are garbage unless you get the really good (expensive) ones and even then they're worse than winter or summer tires during their respective seasons. There's a reason all seasons are frequently called 'no season' tires.

If it's routinely less than 40*F wherever you are then you should have winter tires even if there isn't any snow or ice. If there's snow or ice then winter tires should be mandatory. Those 'dangerous' conditions suddenly become not at all dangerous when you have tires that actually work in the conditions.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Your boss is a bitch but winter tires really are that much better than all seasons if you live somewhere with real winter, even on dry pavement.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So I have a bit of a quandary now that maybe you guys could help with. As part of the 'Christmas bonus' my boss has stipulated two things:
1. Take a 3 month 'mentorship' with an entrepreneur's programme wherein an incredibly rich successful person mentors me (he's been through the same thing) at company expense
2. Choose a 4-5 day professional development conference and go to it. On anything, anywhere in North America. Also at company expense

So 1. will take care of itself, but 2. is interesting because I've never been to anything at all like that, and wanted to pick your guys' brains about what would be a good one to go to, or maybe something you guys are already going to. My interests/responsibilities are incredibly broad, since what we do is usually take a small company, insert efficiencies based on our past experience/software engineering, and then grow it into a larger company, which means I've done everything from phone support to accounting to specc'ing enterprise servers to writing REST interfaces. This is kind of what I 'want' to do with this conference/seminar though:
- .NET development/MSSQL, but not newbie stuff, and not desktop stuff
- Mobile/App development, iOS/Android
- This new fangled Docker/Container stuff and integrating it with existing cloud services
- eCommerce in general
- Some big company specific conference? Google IO/MS Dev Days? Do you guys go to these?
- Some crazy good futurist/conceptual conference you guys know about that I don't?

What I don't want:
- Anything SEO/Marketing related. Good god you can't turn over a rock without finding some marketing event.

Unfortunately he didn't accept Burning Man as an option, but more because it's so far away, I think he's shooting for Q1/Q2. Do you guys have any exposure to any upcoming events that would be cool to go to?

Lastly it was a very nice surprise that I'm not sure should be posted in this thread since it seems to run counter to its thesis.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I vote, "Whichever event is in Las Vegas."

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

psydude posted:

Second.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Someone complained about my helpdesk guy to HR (he didn't do anything wrong) about the 'VPN not working'

It's like they picked the five dumbest people in the company to give laptops too.

"I can't get my email"

Sure you can. You don't even need to be on VPN. *opens outlook* oooooooh

"I can't get on the VPN"

Of course not. There's no internet access at your Montana ski cabin. We went over this last winter when you went there.

"I can't get my files"

Sure you can. You just have to connect to VPN first. *double-clicks company vpn icon on desktop* ooooooh

"I can't connect to the VPN"

You're sitting at your desk in the office. You don't need to. *opens file* ooooh

:argh:

You'd think after putting help desk tickets in 5-6 times, or frantically calling in and being walked through this over the phone multiple times, that people would figure this stuff out. Ugh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Chalets the Baka posted:

Sure, I'll accede that if you live in a place like Norway where helium is constantly in a liquid state, snow tires make a difference. But all-season tires are actually very good in all seasons, and are good enough for everything but the most extreme climates.
You sound like a guy who has never driven on snow tires!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Someone complained about my helpdesk guy to HR (he didn't do anything wrong) about the 'VPN not working'

It's like they picked the five dumbest people in the company to give laptops too.

"I can't get my email"

Sure you can. You don't even need to be on VPN. *opens outlook* oooooooh

"I can't get on the VPN"

Of course not. There's no internet access at your Montana ski cabin. We went over this last winter when you went there.

"I can't get my files"

Sure you can. You just have to connect to VPN first. *double-clicks company vpn icon on desktop* ooooooh

"I can't connect to the VPN"

You're sitting at your desk in the office. You don't need to. *opens file* ooooh

:argh:

You'd think after putting help desk tickets in 5-6 times, or frantically calling in and being walked through this over the phone multiple times, that people would figure this stuff out. Ugh.

I'm so glad DirectAccess is A Thing.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

psydude posted:

Also, one that is sponsored by a big-name company so there are more free-booze events.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Scaramouche posted:

So I have a bit of a quandary now that maybe you guys could help with. As part of the 'Christmas bonus' my boss has stipulated two things:
1. Take a 3 month 'mentorship' with an entrepreneur's programme wherein an incredibly rich successful person mentors me (he's been through the same thing) at company expense
2. Choose a 4-5 day professional development conference and go to it. On anything, anywhere in North America. Also at company expense

So 1. will take care of itself, but 2. is interesting because I've never been to anything at all like that, and wanted to pick your guys' brains about what would be a good one to go to, or maybe something you guys are already going to. My interests/responsibilities are incredibly broad, since what we do is usually take a small company, insert efficiencies based on our past experience/software engineering, and then grow it into a larger company, which means I've done everything from phone support to accounting to specc'ing enterprise servers to writing REST interfaces. This is kind of what I 'want' to do with this conference/seminar though:
- This new fangled Docker/Container stuff and integrating it with existing cloud services
- eCommerce in general
- Some big company specific conference? Google IO/MS Dev Days? Do you guys go to these?
- Some crazy good futurist/conceptual conference you guys know about that I don't?

What I don't want:
- Anything SEO/Marketing related. Good god you can't turn over a rock without finding some marketing event.

Unfortunately he didn't accept Burning Man as an option, but more because it's so far away, I think he's shooting for Q1/Q2. Do you guys have any exposure to any upcoming events that would be cool to go to?

Lastly it was a very nice surprise that I'm not sure should be posted in this thread since it seems to run counter to its thesis.

http://www.buildwindows.com/

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I've complained about how stupid my company is many times in other threads, but today takes the cake. I just need to vent. For whatever the gently caress reason, minimal viable product in the management's eyes means "Write the shittiest poo poo from scratch you can poo poo out as quickly as possible." Instead of something sane like, "Don't reinvent the wheel."

Today I had to implement cookies and sessions in our homespun web server from scratch. We're using Node.js (:suicide:) and I was explicitly told not to use Express or anything else that's ALREADY WRITTEN AND WORKS because, "There's too much of a learning curve." My boss wrote the web server we're using, and had "code" in place to handle sessions, but none of it worked at all because his understanding of cookies is that it's just another query string sent to the browser, and he figured some pseudo-code to make MongoDB the session storage was good enough. He had "get", "set", and "delete" methods, but they would only throw errors and crash the whole server.

What the actual gently caress. If we had been using something anywhere near sane as our base for this project, I wouldn't have had to spend a day working loving cookies and sessions into our lovely web server. COOKIES AND SESSIONS. What other "production ready" web servers are out there, that don't come with cookies and sessions built in?

:negative:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

- eCommerce in general

What I don't want:

This isn't something in your list but I'll throw it out anyway for the benefit of anyone in a similar but more (network) security oriented position. Take a SANS class instructed by Mike Poor in whatever location suits your fancy. He's a great instructor and has loving awesome stories.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mogomra posted:

I've complained about how stupid my company is many times in other threads, but today takes the cake. I just need to vent. For whatever the gently caress reason, minimal viable product in the management's eyes means "Write the shittiest poo poo from scratch you can poo poo out as quickly as possible." Instead of something sane like, "Don't reinvent the wheel."

Today I had to implement cookies and sessions in our homespun web server from scratch. We're using Node.js (:suicide:) and I was explicitly told not to use Express or anything else that's ALREADY WRITTEN AND WORKS because, "There's too much of a learning curve." My boss wrote the web server we're using, and had "code" in place to handle sessions, but none of it worked at all because his understanding of cookies is that it's just another query string sent to the browser, and he figured some pseudo-code to make MongoDB the session storage was good enough. He had "get", "set", and "delete" methods, but they would only throw errors and crash the whole server.

What the actual gently caress. If we had been using something anywhere near sane as our base for this project, I wouldn't have had to spend a day working loving cookies and sessions into our lovely web server. COOKIES AND SESSIONS. What other "production ready" web servers are out there, that don't come with cookies and sessions built in?

:negative:

:stare:

It's time for you to :getout: of that "job" Jesus Christ.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Spent a lot of the weekend doing tech support for my mum, migrating her from a prescott-era Celeron D system with 512MB of RAM that overheats so badly it's throttling the majority of the time it's running (:suicide:). I've set her up with my old gaming PC from 8 years ago that still runs Office etc. perfectly well and an external HDD so all her work is finally backed up. I'm gonna get her a crashplan/backblaze sub for her birthday too. :unsmith:

Worst moment, 9pm on a Saturday night, listening to the pathetic processor fan spin at 100% while the cursed thing grinds away and fails for the umpteenth time to run Sysprep so I can just slam the hard drive into the new PC and not re-install a multitude of programs. If anybody else ever has sysprep mysteriously fall over on Windows 7 and all the registry bullshit google pulls up fails, kill the Windows Media Player loving Network loving Sharing Service and run it.

I don't work in IT, but I know why it makes you drink.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
On a related note, whichever one of you recommended me a little program called FreeFileSync a while back, thank you - it just saved my parents when their HDD decided to try to ruin christmas. The UI might look a bit like it's living in the 90s but the underlying functionality (particularly batch jobs and shadow copy integration to avoid locked file bullshit) works really well.

I managed to train my parents to plug in an external HDD and hit the icon which says "backup" once every couple of weeks and that's the only interaction they needed to have with it. After the initial backup the diffing functionality works so well it's usually done in under 10 minutes.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

- eCommerce in general

What I don't want:

Not sure that it has anything to do with any of your requirements but EMC World is a pretty fun trip. Nice Vegas hotel, lots of free booze and food, vendors give out lots of stuff, and there is a good bit of information dispensed. http://www.emcworld.com/index.htm

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Chalets the Baka posted:

Joining the "once you go snow you don't go back" pile here, I live in Northeast Ohio and I tell everyone I know to buy them. From your post history it looks like you're in Wisconsin, so you would definitely benefit from a set. Don't cheap out on your tires, like a PC's power supply they're the thing everything else depends on to work. Every time it gets bad around here I'm comfortably driving along in my RWD 3 series passing 4x4s on all seasons who landed in the ditch. They are that much better, anyone who has to drive in snow/ice conditions regularly should have them.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I got a call from a recruiter who doesn't have a accent and speaks fluent english. He even has knowledge of the position he is recruiting for, AND he read my resume.
Should I play the lottery?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

ratbert90 posted:

I got a call from a recruiter who doesn't have a accent and speaks fluent english. He even has knowledge of the position he is recruiting for, AND he read my resume.
Should I play the lottery?

Worst case is you get an offer and decide to walk away from it, soooo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ursine Asylum posted:

Worst case is you get an offer and decide to walk away from it, soooo

Well it's for a job doing exactly what I am doing now, except on the other side of the country and 40k more with a 20k increase in cost of living. I already talked to the wife and she said go for it, so hopefully something comes of it!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

jammyozzy posted:

Spent a lot of the weekend doing tech support for my mum, migrating her from a prescott-era Celeron D system with 512MB of RAM that overheats so badly it's throttling the majority of the time it's running (:suicide:). I've set her up with my old gaming PC from 8 years ago that still runs Office etc. perfectly well and an external HDD so all her work is finally backed up. I'm gonna get her a crashplan/backblaze sub for her birthday too. :unsmith:

Worst moment, 9pm on a Saturday night, listening to the pathetic processor fan spin at 100% while the cursed thing grinds away and fails for the umpteenth time to run Sysprep so I can just slam the hard drive into the new PC and not re-install a multitude of programs. If anybody else ever has sysprep mysteriously fall over on Windows 7 and all the registry bullshit google pulls up fails, kill the Windows Media Player loving Network loving Sharing Service and run it.

I don't work in IT, but I know why it makes you drink.

I did some family tech support this boxing day. My nephew was playing PC game with my eldest kid and the PC kept resetting itself. I asked if this was a regular thing and got some vague shrugs.

Went and checked and the thing was running at like 5 degrees below Tj max just sat at the desktop. Opened it up and it was entirely full of dust - filling up the fans, wedged in between the fins on the CPU heatsink, basically anywhere it could be that could stop heat from escaping. Their last PC died of pretty much the same problem.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
This one was clean inside, especially considering it had never been opened and cleaned before, because some cock at Asus never put vents in the front. The metal case itself has a hopeful space for a fan to go and holes present, but the plastic front is solid. No vents, not even little tiny ones up the sides, nothing.

The cursed thing was still overheating with the case sides off as I got ready to shut it down for the last time, and I even managed to burn my finger on a heat pipe as I popped the hard drive out. I forgot just how loving hot Prescott chips got, and I straight up melted a Thunderbird chip back in the day.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ratbert90 posted:

Well it's for a job doing exactly what I am doing now, except on the other side of the country and 40k more with a 20k increase in cost of living. I already talked to the wife and she said go for it, so hopefully something comes of it!

:toot:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

:yotj: already!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Crowley posted:

:yotj: already!

I'm hoping! :yotj: The only snag is being relocated. Not that I am against it, just the company will have to be willing to move myself, two kids, a wife, and a dog.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

I'm hoping! :yotj: The only snag is being relocated. Not that I am against it, just the company will have to be willing to move myself, two kids, a wife, and a dog.

The kids will be fine on their own. Build them some character. Where's the potential job at? Also don't sell yourself short on the salary side of things. They'll probably be willing to go a lot higher than what they're communicating now.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

The kids will be fine on their own. Build them some character. Where's the potential job at? Also don't sell yourself short on the salary side of things. They'll probably be willing to go a lot higher than what they're communicating now.

Albany NY, I am in Boise ID at the moment. Right now I am making 70ishk a year; what would be a good salary for a job that requires kernel module programming/system programming in C/C++ for the embedded Linux in Albany?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

wolrah posted:

Joining the "once you go snow you don't go back" pile here, I live in Northeast Ohio and I tell everyone I know to buy them. From your post history it looks like you're in Wisconsin, so you would definitely benefit from a set. Don't cheap out on your tires, like a PC's power supply they're the thing everything else depends on to work. Every time it gets bad around here I'm comfortably driving along in my RWD 3 series passing 4x4s on all seasons who landed in the ditch. They are that much better, anyone who has to drive in snow/ice conditions regularly should have them.

I'm in the UK where we only get snow for a few weeks a year, and yet the country is in absolute chaos due to fuckwits who can't drive, while the Canadians and the Vikings point and laugh.

Meanwhile I lived on the side of a valley, commuted over the tops of two other valleys, had no problem. Winter tyres rule, and make a hell of a lot more difference than AWD or anything like that.

The first time you have to brake suddenly, you'll realise just how worthwhile they are. Even when it's just cold, and with no snow, they're a big improvement.

poo poo that pisses me off? I went for a third date, supposed to be just cuddling up and watching a film. She asked me to fix her laptop!