Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Phrosphor posted:

Cheers, this and Keylan + BWing/E2 + Kyle Katarn + Push the Limit was what I was looking at the start with till I get some more models. Thanks for the info.

I've actually really liked the A-Wing from the start, before Rebel Aces; RA just made them better. I find those zippy little fucks fun as hell to fly, and unless your up against turret only squads, I find it easy to stay out of firing arcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

alg posted:

After everyone said the E-Wing would get a great dial for its cost I'm a little cautious about looking forward to new dials.
Well yeah but this is a 14 point ship and the high agility and low HP (although really, it has HP distribution which is better than the one for the intie) seems to suggest that it shouldn't be too bad.

As I said in my first reply, it all depends on the dial: it's either gonna make or break this ship.

enigmahfc posted:

I've actually really liked the A-Wing from the start, before Rebel Aces; RA just made them better. I find those zippy little fucks fun as hell to fly, and unless your up against turret only squads, I find it easy to stay out of firing arcs.
Arc-Dodging only really works if you have high PS though, but that's something all high maneuverability ships suffer.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think A-Wings are rad but my rebel aces set won't arrive till the end of January. Welp, that's what I get for going for the cheapest seller on Amazon sometimes.

I don't really care if something is out of scale, to be honest. That said, I've never played with a Tantive IV or Rebel Transport so I don't really know how that works. Can't say I was too terribly inclined to get them when the Rebels were the only faction to have big ships.

In Armada, the Victory Star Destroyer is already kinda big and pricy... I wonder how big an Imperial Class is going to be. And then the Executor would be table-sized. Hopefully they do add Imperial-class Destroyers, Mon Cal Crusiers and an (out of scale) Executor because the Star Wars capital ship game would be kinda disappointing without its most iconic capital ships.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Phrosphor posted:

Cheers, this and Keylan + BWing/E2 + Kyle Katarn + Push the Limit was what I was looking at the start with till I get some more models. Thanks for the info.

Edit: For my first 100 point imperial list I am currently looking at:

Darth Vader (Tie Advanced) - 29pts
    Proton Rockets - 2pts
    Squad Leader - 2pts
Carnor Jax (Tie Interceptor) - 26pts
    Opportunist - 4pts
Saber Sqd Pilot (Tie Interceptor) - 21pts

Winged Gundark (Tie Fighter) - 15pts

Any thoughts?
You really want to have PtL on Interceptors, to be honest. Being able to do two actions at once is key in being able to do damage in an Interceptor. I can see the synergy you are trying for but I still feel getting two actions is better than one extra dice only when certain conditions apply.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think A-Wings are rad but my rebel aces set won't arrive till the end of January. Welp, that's what I get for going for the cheapest seller on Amazon sometimes.

I don't really care if something is out of scale, to be honest. That said, I've never played with a Tantive IV or Rebel Transport so I don't really know how that works. Can't say I was too terribly inclined to get them when the Rebels were the only faction to have big ships.

In Armada, the Victory Star Destroyer is already kinda big and pricy... I wonder how big an Imperial Class is going to be. And then the Executor would be table-sized. Hopefully they do add Imperial-class Destroyers, Mon Cal Crusiers and an (out of scale) Executor because the Star Wars capital ship game would be kinda disappointing without its most iconic capital ships.

It's not even the physical scale that's the problem with something like a an ISD in X-Wing. It's the scale of the firepower involved too! Armada has a much more abstract approach to scale, so an ISD or even bigger stuff is definitely more likely.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

pbpancho posted:

It's not even the physical scale that's the problem with something like a an ISD in X-Wing. It's the scale of the firepower involved too! Armada has a much more abstract approach to scale, so an ISD or even bigger stuff is definitely more likely.

the ISD is gonna be part of wave two of Armada most likely :ssh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Has anyone here played Armada yet or known anyone who has? I'm curious as to any similarities with the old Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures game.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Tekopo posted:

You really want to have PtL on Interceptors, to be honest. Being able to do two actions at once is key in being able to do damage in an Interceptor. I can see the synergy you are trying for but I still feel getting two actions is better than one extra dice only when certain conditions apply.

I get what you are saying, the reason I didn't use the PtL's is I had already used them when buidling my Rebel 100pts and didn't want to have cards crossing between the two groups! I will take another look.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
When was the 3rd faction announced? I haven't been paying much attention to X-Wing since my gaming group has been doing exclusively 40K, even though we have 5 X-Wing starter sets among the 5 of us. This could be something that will get us to pick up playing again.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

krushgroove posted:

When was the 3rd faction announced? I haven't been paying much attention to X-Wing since my gaming group has been doing exclusively 40K, even though we have 5 X-Wing starter sets among the 5 of us. This could be something that will get us to pick up playing again.

Announced at GenCon.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
How are z95s? If I wanna use em as meat shields for two good xwings, is this a good or bad idea?

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

How are z95s? If I wanna use em as meat shields for two good xwings, is this a good or bad idea?

I like them. I typically run Blount with ion missiles to screw over decimator players.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

soulfulspinster posted:

I like them. I typically run Blount with ion missiles to screw over decimator players.

It must be hard to hit a 0 agility ship.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Leo Showers posted:

Yeah, I much prefer point Blount w. Ion Pulse at Soontir or something else that lives or dies one actions and movement and is usually hard to hit.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

pbpancho posted:

Well, the ISD's main firepower is kind of irrelevant in X-Wing. "They're so small they're evading our turbolasers" and all that. The 72 TIE fighters they carry are pretty relevant, though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ten Numb with VI is also something that tends to kill Inties dead. You get unlucky with that crit and it's very easy to cripple the ship. You can even add an HLC and have Etahn fly along.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Is it pretty common in X-Wing for upgrades to not be specific to a faction, but only accessible by buying a faction/ship you don't want. I'm trying to get an idea about how expensive Armada might get. Thanks!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Is it pretty common in X-Wing for upgrades to not be specific to a faction, but only accessible by buying a faction/ship you don't want. I'm trying to get an idea about how expensive Armada might get. Thanks!

It kind of depends on when you're asking. To start with, you wanted Advanced Sensors for your B-Wings but didn't want to buy a Lambda Shuttle to get them; or Push the Limit for your Interceptors but they were living with Tycho in the A-Wing blister. If you're getting into the game now, though, you can get the sensors with an E-Wing and PTL in Imperial Aces.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Until we actually find out how upgrade cards shake out in all the individual Armada packs there's really no way of knowing.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Is it a really big deal if you don't have all the cards or have only one of a card you are using a few times? Just trying to figure out how hard this is going to hit my wallet.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Chiwie posted:

Is it a really big deal if you don't have all the cards or have only one of a card you are using a few times? Just trying to figure out how hard this is going to hit my wallet.

If you are going to play at Worlds you need as many copies of the card as you're using. If you're playing at a tournament at your local store you might not be able to get away with proxies. If you're playing on your kitchen table do whatever the gently caress you want.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
It depends. You can play and win and have a great time only getting the ships you like and think are cool. You can also just proxy poo poo for fun. That being said, certain ships/pilots are very under powered without some upgrade cards that they might not come with. Like, Soontir (a pilot from the interceptor xpac) basically requires having push the limit and while the card does come in the imperial aces box (an xpac with 2 interceptors), it still doesn't come with the tie interceptor xpac where Soontir comes in. So basically, if you wanna fly Soontir the way he was meant to be flown, you have to get both.

Granted, if you get one you'll probably want both anyway just because you probably want to fly interceptors but even still, I think it's kinda crappy that a card that changes how you fly a pilot so significantly as in this example doesn't even come with the pilot.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Soontir also works pretty well with Opportunist, because that also gives you a stress immediately that gets you a focus you can then use on the attack you've just made.

EDIT: and I don't think I need to explain how much a Soontir with (for example) five dice at short range with a TL and focus hurts.

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Leo Showers posted:

Yep, its super hard to bring that thing down.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

soulfulspinster posted:

Yep, its super hard to bring that thing down.

I just would've thought that using Blount specifically to shoot at a Decimator is a little overkill, as you could use a standard Z-95 for a bit cheaper.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I was about to chime in and say that it's possible to blank three dice, but then I remembered that munitions failsafe is cheaper than an upgrade to Blount. I mean, I can see the utility in guaranteeing the hit now instead of eventually, but I'd rather take the ion pulse on a bandit and then give Blount an Assault or something.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah, I was going to mention the Munition Failsafe thing. I think Blount is an extremely good pilot with a variety of uses, however I think one of the few situations where his utility is diminished is when firing something at a Decimator, the fattest ship in regular play.

e: I guess the PS thing might be a consideration too, but :shrug:

e2: I'm also willing to concede that you might take Blount against a Decimator squad if you expect to face a Decimator plus Interceptors or something with a Stealth Device, but you are starting to get into the exceptional corner cases.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 30, 2014

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Leo Showers posted:

I just would've thought that using Blount specifically to shoot at a Decimator is a little overkill, as you could use a standard Z-95 for a bit cheaper.

Yeah but having blount gives my list a little more flexibility than just a stock zed. I'm not insulted , I'm fishing for other eqys of dealing with decimators actually.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Poopy Palpy posted:

If you are going to play at Worlds you need as many copies of the card as you're using. If you're playing at a tournament at your local store you might not be able to get away with proxies. If you're playing on your kitchen table do whatever the gently caress you want.

Ok cool.

Is this a sane place to start? I love Xwings/Z-95s.

100 points

Pilots
------

Wedge Antilles (36)
X-Wing (29), R2 Astromech (1), Flechette Torpedoes (2), Marksmanship (3), Munitions Failsafe (1)

Red Squadron Pilot (24)
X-Wing (23), R2 Astromech (1)

Tala Squadron Pilot (16)
Z-95 Headhunter (13), Ion Pulse Missiles (3)

Airen Cracken (24)
Z-95 Headhunter (19), Ion Pulse Missiles (3), Deadeye (1), Munitions Failsafe (1)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
In a list like that I'd rather downgrade the Tala to a Bandit and lose the missile in order to run Biggs with R2-D2. I'm biased for Biggs and R2-D2 because I am awesome at flying him (and not a whole lot else), but there's so much utility if you use him correctly. I played a game just a couple days ago where Biggs managed to regenerate drat near a dozen shields over the course of the game and survived clear to the end. MVP.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Biggs or Luke with R2D2 is literally cancer, and it's been around forever too. I remember a game I had where I had a lone TIE chasing after Luke and I just couldn't kill him.

gently caress

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Luke with R2-D2 is better if you're expecting to split up your guys, Biggs is better if you're expecting to spread the fire around while going after a single target (or maybe two, depending on your opponent's maneuvers). Biggs is generally better against the mid-size lists in terms of ship numbers, where you can focus ships down and hopefully isolate them, and Luke is better against lists with just a couple ships or a lot of ships because they'll have to shoot him eventually and when they do he just says lolnope. Against very few ships, he can afford to go on the offense and lose almost no defense, and against very many ships his defense bonus goes through the roof in terms of effectiveness.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah, I'm just salty because it's a good combo

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Devlan Mud posted:

Until we actually find out how upgrade cards shake out in all the individual Armada packs there's really no way of knowing.

I know, I'm just curious what the precedent in FFGs other Star Wars ship battlin' game

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I'm really split on armada. I'm hyped cause it looks cool but the price point is unnerving, coupled with the fact that I can't imagine as many people will get into it as x-wing. I kind of look at it like this: Mage Knight MSRPs for $90 and is a complete game with a load of stuff in it. Armada MSRPs for $100 and will most likely be a tutorial kinda like the x-wing core. I get that the licensing factors in more for armada, it'll prolly have higher quality miniatures, etc., etc. but it's still hard to look at both of those and not feel ripped off by armada. I get that there's a difference with one being more a miniatures game and the other a board game but it's still a hard pill to swallow, at least for me.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I was totally hyped for Armada until I saw the price point, and then decided, eh, I'm already invested into X-Wing, I don't need a different game that does mostly the same thing.

I doubt I'm the only one.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Devlan Mud posted:

I was totally hyped for Armada until I saw the price point, and then decided, eh, I'm already invested into X-Wing, I don't need a different game that does mostly the same thing.

I doubt I'm the only one.

Yeah. I love the whole dogfighting part of Star Wars above all else. Sure, I think Star Destroyers are cool, as are people fighting on the ground, but X-Wings and TIE Fighters are the coolest.

I might get into Armada eventually but it's just such a big investment and I'm already balls deep into X-Wing. I'm not even really a miniatures guy honestly, I just like Star Wars and boardgames and think X-Wing is fun. I've had friends try to get me into 40k but I just can't justify spending all the required time and money on that. Especially when I don't really care for its universe or its general aesthetic.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
As someone who preordered armada and all of wave 1 (Aside from the assault frigate. I hate that ship. Rebels should be fast and light), I think its great. Not like there are very many choices for a aramada capital ship game, and judging from xwing they know how to make it fun

If need be, I'll roll down to my FLGS and get people to play using my own ships. Pretty sure lots of xwing players would be happy to play it

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 30, 2014

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I want to get some Armada but it'll probably depend on how much Scum ships I end up getting. And then there's the Raider coming out ugh...maybe I should skip Armada...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Most of the people I know that play X-Wing seem to be driven away from Armada due to the price-point. I'm not going to buy Armada since I'm too much into X-Wing and honestly I prefer the dogfighting to cap ship battles.

• Locked thread