Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Animal
Apr 8, 2003

And a poo poo sandwich to go with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

CBJSprague24 posted:

Congratulations are in order (I hope)? What are the terms of this one? Did I hear E175s?

Guarantee of 40 175s. Sounds good until you consider that we're losing 46 CRJs and another 40+ 145s over the next 24 months.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
One of the instructors at my school is selling his personal Cessna 150, and my instructor has been hired to fly it to Florida (from Maine).
His insurance covers use as a training plane, so my instructor asked if I wanted to go for the ride (HELL YES). I'll get to log the whole trip as training time, he'll get to log it all as dual instruction. We both win. I'll basically get about 20 free hours of training time in my logbook for the price of an Amtrak ticket from FL to ME and an awesome experience. I'm wicked excited. This makes my checkbook to checkride ratio a lot less stressful :)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Make sure you post pictures.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Captain Apollo posted:

Make sure you post pictures.

I'll see if I can borrow a camera from someone to take for the trip. Mine died over the summer and I don't have a phone. Hoping for nice weather the whole way, but if we end up flying IFR I can log IFR training time, heh. I've already started studying instrument stuff because that's a rating I really want to work on right after I get my private.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

chrisgt posted:

One of the instructors at my school is selling his personal Cessna 150, and my instructor has been hired to fly it to Florida (from Maine).
His insurance covers use as a training plane, so my instructor asked if I wanted to go for the ride (HELL YES). I'll get to log the whole trip as training time, he'll get to log it all as dual instruction. We both win. I'll basically get about 20 free hours of training time in my logbook for the price of an Amtrak ticket from FL to ME and an awesome experience. I'm wicked excited. This makes my checkbook to checkride ratio a lot less stressful :)

This is awesome.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

AirAsia A320 missing in Indonesia.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

AirAsia A320 missing in Indonesia.

This hasn't been a good year for airlines based in Malaysia, but apparently the accident airplane was operated by their Indonesian affiliate carrier.

From what I've seen reported, there were some pretty massive thunderstorms along the route the flight was supposed to take, so I'm wondering if the crew didn't somehow divert themselves into the middle of a bad cell.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 28, 2014

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

chrisgt posted:

I can't decide what's worse-- a ride in a 150 that far, or the ride in the amtrak back.

Just kidding, the ride in the 150 will be awesome. I love those things. The ride in the amtrak though? ....

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Bob A Feet posted:

I can't decide what's worse-- a ride in a 150 that far, or the ride in the amtrak back.

Just kidding, the ride in the 150 will be awesome. I love those things. The ride in the amtrak though? ....

The ride back is gonna suck. I wish I had more time to spend in FL. My car is completely rusted out; I'd love to buy a new (to me, at least) car down there that hasn't been exposed to road salt for the last 25 years...

My instructor and I are both 6'2" and it's tight fitting in the 152.... The 150 is gonna be fun haha.

After doing the W&B we have about 3lbs each for luggage.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

azflyboy posted:

This hasn't been a good year for airlines based in Malaysia, but apparently the accident airplane was operated by their Indonesian affiliate carrier.

From what I've seen reported, there were some pretty massive thunderstorms along the route the flight was supposed to take, so I'm wondering if the crew didn't somehow divert themselves into the middle of a bad cell.

Wx was poo poo, looking at the radar, and sources are saying that it was going 100 kts slower than filed. But of course take all of that with the rest of the wild speculations that happen during the times like this.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Spaced God posted:

Wx was poo poo, looking at the radar, and sources are saying that it was going 100 kts slower than filed. But of course take all of that with the rest of the wild speculations that happen during the times like this.

What if it just kept climbing all the way to the moon?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

e.pilot posted:

What if it just kept climbing all the way to the moon?

Nah, the black hole would've gotten it first.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

chrisgt posted:

After doing the W&B we have about 3lbs each for luggage.

Don't worry too much about that. Plan the trip for long runways and low density altitude flying. By the time you taxi a bit and get going you'll be under gross the rest of the flight.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Captain Apollo posted:

Don't worry too much about that. Plan the trip for long runways and low density altitude flying. By the time you taxi a bit and get going you'll be under gross the rest of the flight.

What an awesome suggestion to give a student pilot. Especially one about to fly with his instructor. "The Internet told me not to worry about the W&B."

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

fordan posted:

What an awesome suggestion to give a student pilot. Especially one about to fly with his instructor. "The Internet told me not to worry about the W&B."

Calculate a legit told for what you have and then calculate separates for what contingencies you can have-- less/more luggage, less/more fuel, etc etc.

Ask any helicopter pilot that has flown on a hot day with pax. Theyll do it dozens of times. Best part is that whoever you're usually carrying will tell you how much they (or their squad/platoon) weigh and then bring five more people and a mortar tube and wonder why we have to replan everything or kick those guys off.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

An Actual Real Life CFI posted:

Don't worry too much about [W&B].

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
http://youtu.be/OVM3RRd1vf0

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

He had soooooooooo much room to abort after settling the first time.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

What an rear end in a top hat.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Captain Apollo posted:

Well we're delivering a plane that neither of us own, so it's probably best if we don't crash it. I used to work delivering boats; my crew and I were always wicked careful on those trips. It's kinda embarrassing crashing someone else's thing. Even if insurance does cover it...
Startup and taxi allowance is like 0.5 gallons or something, and you probably don't even burn that when you stop, take a piss, grab fuel and take off again.

Anyway, a friend of mine gave me his old camera to replace my broken POS, so I'll definitely take pics of the trip and stuff.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

chrisgt posted:

Well we're delivering a plane that neither of us own, so it's probably best if we don't crash it. I used to work delivering boats; my crew and I were always wicked careful on those trips. It's kinda embarrassing crashing someone else's thing. Even if insurance does cover it...
Startup and taxi allowance is like 0.5 gallons or something, and you probably don't even burn that when you stop, take a piss, grab fuel and take off again.

Anyway, a friend of mine gave me his old camera to replace my broken POS, so I'll definitely take pics of the trip and stuff.

You should set up some stop action camera somewhere. I've always wanted to try that while flying.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

chrisgt posted:

Bob A Feet posted:

You should set up some stop action camera somewhere. I've always wanted to try that while flying.

Find a friend with a GoPro, and time lapse the entire trip.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I have a relative interested in becoming a flight attendant. She's going to a hiring event next week. Any advice she should have (other than run away!)? I've been out of the airlines for a while now and am not sure of the current state of things.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

AzureSkys posted:

I have a relative interested in becoming a flight attendant. She's going to a hiring event next week. Any advice she should have (other than run away!)? I've been out of the airlines for a while now and am not sure of the current state of things.

As far as Delta flight attendant goes, she should NOT be too much of an individual. She should try to be a woman who is perfect and also nice. Be whatever they want you to be. If they ask about flaws give them some bullshit about how your friends think you like to work hard instead of going out to party with them. Once she gets the job and clears probation then she is free to be a huge rear end in a top hat to everyone.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
"Hey, we can't get people to use WingX over Foreflight, maybe if we give it away free to CFIs they'll recommend it to their students!"

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fordan posted:

"Hey, we can't get people to use WingX over Foreflight, maybe if we give it away free to CFIs they'll recommend it to their students!"

Apollo should get this. I bet it has a weight and balance function.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Hey guys I've been busy lately I just stopped by to wish you all a Happy New Year and catch u...:yikes:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Have any of you professional pilots tried job hunting in Asia?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_INDONESIA_PLANE_PILOT_SHORTAGE?SITE=OHCIN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Too soon.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Leviathor posted:

Find a friend with a GoPro, and time lapse the entire trip.

Hah, like the battery would last that long.

Seriously though, they never ever last in mine... I've never even come close to filling an SD card before I have to swap the little bricks out. :mad:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 5, 2015

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Duke Chin posted:

Seriously though, they never ever last in mine... I've never even come close to filling an SD card before I have to swap the little bricks out. :mad:

Yeah, I figured. That's why they can round out the remaining 3# or whatever of the W&B with GoPro batteries!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Duke Chin posted:

With the battery backpack I can get about 3 hours out of my 3+ silver.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

Yea, I do high altitude weather balloon stuff. They often go above 120,000 feet. And the stupid gopros almost never last the whole flight, even with extended batteries.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
New Year's Eve in a hotel room studying flows #pilotlife:toot:

e: posting about studying flows #goonlife

vessbot fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 1, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

chrisgt posted:

Yea, I do high altitude weather balloon stuff. They often go above 120,000 feet. And the stupid gopros almost never last the whole flight, even with extended batteries.

Can't you get a USB external battery?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Can't you get a USB external battery?

That would require putting a hole in the gopro case. Which risks the chance of air leaks, either through the hole or through the wire itself. The problem is, these sometimes land in lakes. Usually when the gopros go up the pressure inside the case is so great it lets air out, and when they come back down the vacuum is so strong it's incredibly hard to get them open. With that much vacuum it would be entirely possible to draw water in if it landed in a lake. It isn't out of the question, though. On one of the next launches I might fly an empty gopro case with an external battery setup, then dump it in water right away and see if i can make it air tight.
I've also built a vacuum chamber to simulate high altitude, so this will make a lot of these problems a lot easier to deal with.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I only have experience with the exact opposite (electronics for dives) where you can throw it all in a plexiglass case and have it be ip67. You might need a parachute though at that point though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

I only have experience with the exact opposite (electronics for dives) where you can throw it all in a plexiglass case and have it be ip67. You might need a parachute though at that point though

Yea, we run a parachute anyway. Payloads have to be less than 3 or 4 lbs per box as per the FARs to be legal as an unmanned unregistered balloon flight, though. So that's always a restriction.

• Locked thread