Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Probably Drew, who is a manlier man than you or I tenfold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Has anyone read Air Force Gator?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

al-azad posted:

I like the guy who stays silent during wrestling conversations, who is that guy?

Ryan

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Let me elaborate more what I'm looking for. I don't visit any game news websites regularly but want to stay in the know about new games announced and released. I want a structured gaming podcast that covers that with minimal tangents. I checked IGN and am enjoying it but all the different consoles are spread across multiple podcast which I don't have time to listen to all of them. That description spark any new suggestions?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Let me elaborate more what I'm looking for. I don't visit any game news websites regularly but want to stay in the know about new games announced and released. I want a structured gaming podcast that covers that with minimal tangents. I checked IGN and am enjoying it but all the different consoles are spread across multiple podcast which I don't have time to listen to all of them. That description spark any new suggestions?

a rss feed?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

Well, to be fair, Crash Bandicoot was made by MIT doctorate computer scientists who broke the PSX over their knee and which observers literally thought had to be fake because graphics like that just couldn't be done.

If you are interested in the making of Crash Bandicoot and how they squeezed so much power from the Playstation this is a riveting read - http://all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah, seems to me this could be covered in about five minutes of looking at a web site each week.

First web search result: http://www.gamespot.com/new-games/

Horrible Butts
May 7, 2012

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

You inspired me to make a podcast!
Here it is https://soundcloud.com/yesssss-2/video-games-newspaper
I'll work on having more release dates in the next one for sure

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Horrible Butts posted:

This is the greatest thing

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I think what you need is the Giant Bomb gaming minute.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ghosts are pretty quiet, yeah.

(:smith:)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Horrible Butts posted:

Like I said, All Things Considered Vidya Edition. Make more if you have time.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Horrible Butts posted:

Subscribed.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Horrible Butts posted:

Nice. Unfortunately I don't think you will ever get sponsored by stamps.com because your persona does sound like they would enjoy a stroll to the post office after lunch.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Horrible Butts posted:

In it, voted 5. I really enjoyed Captain Invictus' reader mail, highlight of the episode.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: Dan is far more of a persona than anyone else on the staff. While he genuinely believes a lot of the nonsense he spouts, he also says a bunch of stuff just to rile people up. The problem is when he doesn't know when to turn the gimmick off, or says something genuinely stupid/ignorant and you start questioning what's real and what's an act. His TSA tweet was probably the worst of that.

If you'd asked me to elaborate on why he gets on my nerves, this would be it: a lot of the time I can't tell when he's playing the "Dan" character and when he's genuinely being dumb. Did he really not know what a mortgage is, for example?

But the best case scenario, that he's playing a character all the time, is actually worse. Part of why I used to like the Bombcast is that it was just dudes with likable personalities talking about games and not goofy contrived personas like THE GRUMPY GAME GUYS or whatever. When it was funny, it was funny because the original group were genuinely funny guys and not due to a shtick or gimmick. I like Dan even less when it's an act than I do when he's being an actual moron.

Horrible Butts posted:

lol

Baku fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 29, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Unfortunately, the reason Jeff probably doesn't find much joy in games anymore is because his best friend and coworker died in a pretty tragic way. I always saw them as a pair, like Abbott and Costello or siskel and ebert, they played off each other perfectly, and nobody else on staff really has the repartee they did. Combined with vinny and patrick leaving and the site has had some dramatic changes in the last year and a half, his overall demeanor seems to have gotten less tolerant of things. Brad though...dota/destiny is a helluva drug.

I like Dan, but he definitely has the ability to rile people up far better than others. And if the game informer videos he has done are any indication, or Jason's word to be taken, he's genuinely Forrest Gump-ish. He bumbles obliviously through life common sense-wise but is incredibly booksmart. Gets it from his father, it seems.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Ok I'll bite: how exactly is Dan "booksmart"?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

EC posted:

He's smart enough to know books exist

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

EC posted:

I don't know if I'd call Dan booksmart but the guy has wrote a trilogy of novels, that much at least should be appreciated.

Unless they are total garbage, don't know myself.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
I finally got around to the last Retronauts, and it was so relevant it was creepy. I've recently started going through some old genesis games including Valis, but also Sol-Deace and another Wolf Team game I don't remember the name of, and Telenet keeps popping up on title screens all over the place. I had been looking into the divide between Star Ocean and the Tales games so it was weird for that to come up at all. Casual observation showed a lot of Wolf Team's games using sci-fi instead of or coupled with fantasy, so maybe that's the chunk that split off to do a space opera?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Zombies' Downfall posted:

But the best case scenario, that he's playing a character all the time, is actually worse. Part of why I used to like the Bombcast is that it was just dudes with likable personalities talking about games and not goofy contrived personas like THE GRUMPY GAME GUYS or whatever. When it was funny, it was funny because the original group were genuinely funny guys and not due to a shtick or gimmick. I like Dan even less when it's an act than I do when he's being an actual moron.

From an outsider's perspective (my own), it seems like Dan initially riled people up because his hire came at a time when it would have been perfect to add a woman/non-bro to the Giant Bomb crew. That's the reaction I witnessed, anyway. Most big sites only have women in the "non-editorial video spokesbabe" role, so a lot of people were disappointed this open slot went to another white dude--and his manbaby persona (put-on or not) added salt to the wound. I'm a white guy in the biz and it's very rare for an editorial staff to NOT be only white guys that are 25-35.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ramagamma posted:

I don't know if I'd call Dan booksmart but the guy has wrote a trilogy of novels, that much at least should be appreciated.

Unless they are total garbage, don't know myself.

Air Force Gator. I need to get around to reading them, but they sound stupid as hell in the best possible way.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Dan isn't stupid, he just keeps himself in a state of blissful ignorance. Two different things.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
(But not that different.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

bobservo posted:

From an outsider's perspective (my own), it seems like Dan initially riled people up because his hire came at a time when it would have been perfect to add a woman/non-bro to the Giant Bomb crew. That's the reaction I witnessed, anyway. Most big sites only have women in the "non-editorial video spokesbabe" role, so a lot of people were disappointed this open slot went to another white dude--and his manbaby persona (put-on or not) added salt to the wound. I'm a white guy in the biz and it's very rare for an editorial staff to NOT be only white guys that are 25-35.

Yeah, I remember seeing a lot of vocal people on Twitter complaining about Giant Bomb hiring him.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

He doesn't believe in water scarcity, he is a shithead.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, I remember seeing a lot of vocal people on Twitter complaining about Giant Bomb hiring him.

Mr. Klepek and his posse being some in particular. I would actually like to see a woman on the show or some diversity, but not for diversity's sake. If a person has good chemistry with the crew and can bring something to the table, I don't really care who or what they are. If a transvestite Mexican Jew Lizard is on the staff, fine by me. I just want dumb poo poo and occasional video games, no social commentary (outside of wrasslin') or "are games art".

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Warbird posted:

Mr. Klepek and his posse being some in particular. I would actually like to see a woman on the show or some diversity, but not for diversity's sake. If a person has good chemistry with the crew and can bring something to the table, I don't really care who or what they are. If a transvestite Mexican Jew Lizard is on the staff, fine by me. I just want dumb poo poo and occasional video games, no social commentary (outside of wrasslin') or "are games art".

The thing is that there are 100% definitely women/non dude bros out there who fit this criteria. It'd be easy to hire one. No one likes working with people they don't like so you don't really have to worry about diversity for diversity's sake. Due to the field being what it is, it might take them a lil more time to diversify but there are enough goofball dumbshit women out there that they could do better without compromising their vibe.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

No but don't you see women who like video games and are funny and interesting people are literal unicorns and people who want to see more diversity in the industry are concerned with diversity only and no other considerations because we're all rabid idiots I guess.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Horrible Butts posted:

btw this is beautiful

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

He doesn't believe in water scarcity, he is a shithead.

A few more people like him, a good month of drought and we might be finally rid of the Californian scourge forever.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Woffle posted:

The thing is that there are 100% definitely women/non dude bros out there who fit this criteria. It'd be easy to hire one. No one likes working with people they don't like so you don't really have to worry about diversity for diversity's sake. Due to the field being what it is, it might take them a lil more time to diversify but there are enough goofball dumbshit women out there that they could do better without compromising their vibe.

That's pretty much where I stand, but I'm concerned that the "SJW" crowd that was screaming so hard about Dan getting hired might force their hand. I don't see Jeff letting something like that happen, but if they end up hiring a poor fit that is endorsed by the socially conscious, getting rid of them would cause a clusterfuck of epic proportions and I'm pretty sure their CBS overlords wouldn't like that. I'm sure I'm worrying about nothing worth worrying about though.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Warbird posted:

That's pretty much where I stand, but I'm concerned that the "SJW" crowd that was screaming so hard about Dan getting hired might force their hand. I don't see Jeff letting something like that happen, but if they end up hiring a poor fit that is endorsed by the socially conscious, getting rid of them would cause a clusterfuck of epic proportions and I'm pretty sure their CBS overlords wouldn't like that. I'm sure I'm worrying about nothing worth worrying about though.

Yeah it's not usually worth worrying that a fictional construct would have forced them to hire another fictional construct.

That said Dan is entertaining enough to make me enjoy the Bombcast despite the fact that they completely blew the chance to hire someone with even the slightly differentest perspective.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Warbird posted:

What they need to do is steal Mary from Gamespot since shes already proven to be a great fit with everyone, and completly embarrassed Brad at one point by being able to talk about Dota better than he could.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
In the opposite corner I've heard people complaining when Danielle joined Idle Thumbs, as if she was gonna ruin all the dumb manbaby injokes over on Idle Thumbs no less, or that a female perspective was there just for the sake of it. Did any of that happen? Quite the opposite, really. People on the internet are stupid like that.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Warbird posted:

That's pretty much where I stand, but I'm concerned that the "SJW" crowd that was screaming so hard about Dan getting hired might force their hand
Were these SJWs riding jabberwocks as they screamed?

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Warbird posted:

If there was a bad fit and they replaced her with another lady, I don't think the SJWs would be mad. Honestly, I don't think this is a thing that is likely to happen.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Considering Giant Bomb and Gamespot are interchangable since they crossover so much, there's really two females that can regularly get in their works. Mary Kish has been in a lot of streams and premium podcasts/videos, and I assume Alexia Cor Ray is going to join in at some point since she's had plenty of podcast time with Patrick and Alex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'd totally be down for some O'Dwyer shenanigans. Mary seems like a good fit too. And it's an understood point, but (Drunk)Lang and DanDad should have permanent seats at the table.

TetsuoTW posted:

Were these SJWs riding jabberwocks as they screamed?

Jabberwocks were excluded for not being able to be snarky enough on Twitter. The claws don't make well for forming concise insults and kneejerk reactions.

• Locked thread