Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

So buy a Toyota????

No. Buy a Chrysler. They're American :italy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
You guys better be careful what you say, might get a big red title.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Vanagoon posted:

I do love a good GM Hate-fest. After my family had 2 Luminas with the miserable L82 3100 that died for the same stupid reason I realized GM does suck as much as I've heard.

Apparently the forumula is 3100 V6 + Dexcool ('Death-cool') = Rotten Intake Manifold Gaskets - Which leads to overheating and sometimes even wiped bearings as some of the coolant ends up in the bottom end of the engine (!?)

gently caress off and die General Motors.

The best part about this is that they were sued in a class action lawsuit and the consumers won, but GM went bankrupt just as they were supposed to pay out, and the US government ain't paying anyone poo poo, so no one got anything

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

As a valet who drove hundreds of cars, I can say GM and all the companies under it's umbrella are the WORST. Seriously, even a poverty-spec mid-2000s Ford is better then some the best stuff GM had to offer.
Why yes, I do want to drop $20,000 for a sheet plastic interior, lovely seats, and an underpowered engine. I swear someone had to go out of their way to make the interiors on those cars as lovely as they were. Also, they most certainly proved that manual trans =/= better. I think the HHR with a manual might be the worst car I drove there. Urg.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Vitamin J posted:

You guys better be careful what you say, might get a big red title.

ExplodingSims posted:

As a valet who drove hundreds of cars, I can say GM and all the companies under it's umbrella are the WORST. Seriously, even a poverty-spec mid-2000s Ford is better then some the best stuff GM had to offer.
Why yes, I do want to drop $20,000 for a sheet plastic interior, lovely seats, and an underpowered engine. I swear someone had to go out of their way to make the interiors on those cars as lovely as they were. Also, they most certainly proved that manual trans =/= better. I think the HHR with a manual might be the worst car I drove there. Urg.

I still want a Buick :ohdear:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

Every hummer ever...high dollar suv with plastic that fell off all over the place.. maybe it's just because valets see a lot of them because no one wants to park em. But I agree with the above... most gm products fall to poo poo 5-7 years after purchase.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

tater_salad posted:

Every hummer ever...high dollar suv with plastic that fell off all over the place.. maybe it's just because valets see a lot of them because no one wants to park em. But I agree with the above... most gm products fall to poo poo 5-7 years after purchase.

Good God, I could write an essay on how lovely the H2s are. I'll never understand how they convinced people to dump so much cash on those . Kudos to the engineer who figured out how to make such a caverous space feel claustrophobic though.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Honestly, there's not too much bad I can about Buick. Most of the 2000-2010 stuff is just rebadged Chevies, with leather interiors. Most of the older one's I saw were in decent shape, but then again they're mostly owned by older people who drive them like twice a week. The newer stuff (2012+) Doesn't seem all that terrible though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

josiahgould posted:

My brother-in-law says my wifes car needed a new harmonic balancer. Didn't realize how bad it actually was until I drove it to work on Friday. We replaced it on Saturday.

It had a slight rattle before... Who am I kidding, I could hear this thing a mile away.

The metal damage was caused by us trying to get the bolt off. Tried for an hour before we got the suggestion to crank the motor once. Popped right out after that.

That was always a decent solution to getting crankshaft bolts off MX-5 engines - put a big breaker bar in place under the chassis rail on the right hand side of the engine bay, looking backwards, and tickle the starter just once. Never failed. You couldn't get a rattle gun in there without taking the radiator out, and the engine would just turn over when you tried to do it by hand.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Collateral Damage posted:

Put your nuclear arms reserve to good use and put Detroit out of its misery already.

In all seriousness, I want to see Detroit completely evacuated and just watch and record how nature reclaims a modernish city.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ExplodingSims posted:

My Mother owned a second gen Cavalier that she liked then got T-boned and written off. She was looking at new cars and was floored at how garbage the third gen Cavalier and they some how engineered the car to be worse in every single way.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Nothing says horrible mechanical failures like rednecks and poorly built monster trucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx8gmT5gnAA

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Why yes my vehicle is whizzing out gas after wrecking and rolling over, but let's extract the driver, cheer for the crowd and then do a walk around of the now trashed scrapheap before turning anything off. It's a fjord, idles great!

Edit; I want to see rednecked trophy trucks. Monster trucks are passé, and that course looks prime for a butchered impression of a TT to try to complete.
\/\/\/

stone soup fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 30, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Why put in less than a foot of lift and properly design the suspension/drivetrain/chassis when you can jack it to the sky and do everything wrong? :cool:

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

kastein posted:

Why put in less than a foot of lift and properly design the suspension/drivetrain/chassis when you can jack it to the sky and do everything wrong? :cool:

The suspension is what really does it for me. It's all jacked up without a hint of travel. I'm surprised it can go around those corners without flopping over.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Godholio posted:

In all seriousness, I want to see Detroit completely evacuated and just watch and record how nature reclaims a modernish city.

Someone should do a "Detroit or Chernobyl?" series where you take pictures of the two and try and figure out if they're from Detroit or Chernobyl

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

rscott posted:

Someone should do a "Detroit or Chernobyl?" series where you take pictures of the two and try and figure out if they're from Detroit or Chernobyl

Comparing Pripyat to Detroit isn't really fair. One is a deserted post apocalyptic third world wasteland, full of horrible toxins in the soil that cause all manner of cancers,, the other is just a little radioactive.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Wally Joyner posted:

Why yes my vehicle is whizzing out gas after wrecking and rolling over, but let's extract the driver, cheer for the crowd and then do a walk around of the now trashed scrapheap before turning anything off. It's a fjord, idles great!

What's a keeell switch?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
The worst thing GM ever did was axe the 3800. Only v6 they made that was any fun or powerful. Defenitley worth staying up on the intake gaskets/coolant. most 3100 driven cars can go drive off a tall cliff.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Aw come on, the 3.6 isn't bad. It's light and grunty and good on petrol for what it is. Also the only engine I'm aware of that is available with both single and dual vvti at the same time in the same market, depending on vehicle spec.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

SouthsideSaint posted:

The worst thing GM ever did was axe the 3800. Only v6 they made that was any fun or powerful. Defenitley worth staying up on the intake gaskets/coolant. most 3100 driven cars can go drive off a tall cliff.

I forgot - My landlord had a Buick Regal with a 3100 in it. That one blew up too. gently caress those things forever and ever. The very definition of Boat Anchor.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Aw come on, the 3.6 isn't bad. It's light and grunty and good on petrol for what it is. Also the only engine I'm aware of that is available with both single and dual vvti at the same time in the same market, depending on vehicle spec.

Honda's K-series engines had the K20A2 (RSX Type-S) with VTEC on intake and exhaust and the K20A3 (RSX base) with intake only. The A3 was in the Civic Si as well.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Vanagoon posted:

I do love a good GM Hate-fest. After my family had 2 Luminas with the miserable L82 3100 that died for the same stupid reason I realized GM does suck as much as I've heard.

Apparently the forumula is 3100 V6 + Dexcool ('Death-cool') = Rotten Intake Manifold Gaskets - Which leads to overheating and sometimes even wiped bearings as some of the coolant ends up in the bottom end of the engine (!?)

gently caress off and die General Motors.

What used to amaze me was my grandfather's last car was a '99 Chevy Lumina. He didn't do a lot to it other than meet all the maintenance intervals. I don't remember that car ever having a problem, it just was always...mediocre, even when we sold it with 130k miles on it.

So for my upcoming mechanical failures, maybe those mechanics in this thread will recognize it. I have a 2008 Honda Civic. You know, the boring ubiquitous 4-door ones. It has only 50,000 miles on it since I don't commute. I'll admit that while I do take care of it, I don't obsess over it. I had wanted something less fancy since it's been my first car for...5 years now, but I did pay a lot less than it was worth. However, this car has it out for me, considering it had: a faulty battery (replaced by the dealer, thankfully), rubber trim on the doors that doesn't want to stay attached, and a failed parking brake switch (I failed my safety inspection so I had to get it fixed on short notice sadly to keep the car road legal).

Now it seems two problems have come up one followed by the next. The first is the tire pressure monitoring system is giving me a warning light, but only after driving for more than 20 minutes or so continually. The tire pressure is all good so there is some kind of gremlin in the system.

The other problem is on right handed turns my left front wheel is occasionally making a not so pleasant noise, like a rattle. It's definitely not a bearing, so my friend and I think "oh, must be the CV joint!" But no, the joint's boot and everything are fine. Maybe the bushings? No, looks good. The lining of the wheel well is loose? Nope. We'll see what it is I guess soon enough when I take it in, and cross my fingers that it's under warranty.

Edit: 90% sure it's this problem right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcRDEUjntbQ

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 30, 2014

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Blindeye posted:

The other problem is on right handed turns my left front wheel is occasionally making a not so pleasant noise, like a rattle. It's definitely not a bearing, so my friend and I think "oh, must be the CV joint!" But no, the joint's boot and everything are fine. Maybe the bushings? No, looks good. The lining of the wheel well is loose? Nope. We'll see what it is I guess soon enough when I take it in, and cross my fingers that it's under warranty.

I have almost the same problem on my VW scirocco, but its more of a clunking sound. I've literally checked over every possible cause including dismantling the left suspension and switching onto my winter tires early to see if it was the wheels/tires themselves. I've just given up and come to terms with the fact that its either just another noise or my differential is going to fail horribly one of these days.

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
Here's hoping the LZ4 3.5 in my G6 doesn't follow the same fate as the 3100, despite the common lineage. Can't speak about the 4T45E tranny, though, where GM's literature quotes a maximum torque input below the peak of the engines it's tied to. Almost 100K miles and I'm getting hints of transmission fun - sometimes fails to keep gear on upshift every so often. I don't want it to fail, but I wouldn't mind a panther to replace it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SouthsideSaint posted:

I never got the love for that particular engine - it was bad on fuel, and not particularly refined. The later 3.6 isn't very refined either but at least performance and fuel consumption are a lot better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My dad has to get the whole powertrain of his Traverse dropped due to stretched timing chains. At least the powertrain warranty was extended to 10 years/100,000 miles.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

dissss posted:

I never got the love for that particular engine - it was bad on fuel, and not particularly refined. The later 3.6 isn't very refined either but at least performance and fuel consumption are a lot better.

yeah when we were putting smaller pulleys on GTPs in high school and later gas wasn't expensive so fuel consumption wasn't an issue. And when you have a better supercharger :getin: it was a four door car that went pretty fast for the time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've only ever experienced the wonder of the 3800 in RWD form. They feel desperately underpowered and agricultural compared to the falcon I6, but on the other hand they're nigh-unkillable and extremely easy to work on.

The blown ones go ok I guess.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Slow is Fast posted:

There are very few US made cars I would actually recommend buying these days.

What about Nissan, or Subaru? :v:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

What about Nissan, or Subaru? :v:

Can't forget BMW.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Do americans buy so many trucks because american cars are pretty lovely or are american cars lovely because so many of us buy trucks instead?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I do applaud GM for making invisible cars. The late 90s lumina is so bland, there's no telling what madness I could get up to with one and nobody would ever notice cause they can't see the drat thing. Seriously considering getting one for that reason.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Friar Zucchini posted:

I do applaud GM for making invisible cars. The late 90s lumina is so bland, there's no telling what madness I could get up to with one and nobody would ever notice cause they can't see the drat thing. Seriously considering getting one for that reason.

Actually now that you mention it the Lumina was the only car I've ever owned that I was never pulled over in, so you may be on to something there.

They're so drat terrible though, I cannot recommend following through with this.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I love that Buick's current US ad campaign is based on "wow, that thing is really nice, I wish it had any distinguishing features so I could tell what it is."

It's like they've never even loving heard of the term brand recognition.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I think they are going for the "not for old people anymore" vibe.

Edit: phone typing fix.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 30, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

tater_salad posted:

I think theybare going for the "not for old people anymore" vibe.

Surprisingly they also badged that as a Toyota Matrix, not a Buick :v:

yes, this is a bad joke. I don't care

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

rscott posted:

Do americans buy so many trucks because american cars are pretty lovely or are american cars lovely because so many of us buy trucks instead?

Both of those feeding each other. The real reason is that margins on trucks are much better than cars, so investing in your truck platforms yields higher returns.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Both of those feeding each other. The real reason is that margins on trucks are much better than cars, so investing in your truck platforms yields higher returns.

Weren't trucks also exempt from CAFE up until recently?

EDIT: Never mind it appears they had a separate lower CAFE goal

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 30, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrYenko posted:

I love that Buick's current US ad campaign is based on "wow, that thing is really nice, I wish it had any distinguishing features so I could tell what it is."

It's like they've never even loving heard of the term brand recognition.
Skoda doing this kind of schtick worked really well for them as they dug themselves out of being the butt of every automotive joke toward being the well-respected brand they are today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Over here in euroland, a friend of mine used to joke that he should start robbing banks in his late-90's dark red Toyota estate, since nobody would notice what he was driving. That thing was so nondescript it was almost impressive.