Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Verror posted:

A little. I'm still getting a handle on compression , thanks for the critique

Get CamelCrusher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Wait so compressing until it sounds good to me isn't the right route?

My old room mate/friend/squad/frequent collaborator is in Japan visitin his fam and since he can't smoke weed has been dicking around with piano compositions and sending them to me to work with. I made this one last night but I was so hosed I barely remember it. https://soundcloud.com/grungerdude91/roc12-x-theodore-420-am-in-japan. I've spent thelast like 4 months being stagnant but this past week I've knocked out like 4 beats. A good feeling.

here's the other one: https://soundcloud.com/grungerdude91/roc12-rising-sun-theodores-drunk-remix

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Wait so compressing until it sounds good to me isn't the right route?

My old room mate/friend/squad/frequent collaborator is in Japan visitin his fam and since he can't smoke weed has been dicking around with piano compositions and sending them to me to work with. I made this one last night but I was so hosed I barely remember it. https://soundcloud.com/grungerdude91/roc12-x-theodore-420-am-in-japan. I've spent thelast like 4 months being stagnant but this past week I've knocked out like 4 beats. A good feeling.

I would side chain the kick drum to give it more oomph, I feel like it's being buried a bit.

Digi_Kraken fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 29, 2014

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
Check out this video I shot that just came out today. The Buttress - Funeral
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1yrONuJDvU
Her album is dope. http://thebuttress.bandcamp.com

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
One of my beats seems to be somewhat popular. Any critiques welcomed, I only have two of my beats actually posted to SoundCloud.

https://soundcloud.com/cosmicprank/paola

JCW
Oct 22, 2008
idk https://soundcloud.com/thejcw/takeback/s-cxcMr

Odnet
Mar 17, 2005
Hollerate.
Did this over the weekend. Was going for the mid-90's DITC vibe that the original was sorely lacking:

https://soundcloud.com/odnet/fat-joe-envy-odnet-ditrwc-mix

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
I have some stuff posted to my instagram, 'boyofvirtue', if anyone wants to check it out. It's all done on an MPC with vinyl samples.

Speaking of which, I get the impression that I'll need to involve a DAW at some point to get my tracks mixed down into songs. I was leaning towards Reaper, simply out of cost reasons. Also, I know I'll need an audio interface to get my stuff on the computer....does anyone have any recommendations?

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Which MPC do you have?

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

illBilliam posted:

Which MPC do you have?

2500 with JJOS. I absolutely love it, it does everything I was hoping for and so much more. I'm saving up for a 3000 next.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

I have some stuff posted to my instagram, 'boyofvirtue', if anyone wants to check it out. It's all done on an MPC with vinyl samples.

Speaking of which, I get the impression that I'll need to involve a DAW at some point to get my tracks mixed down into songs. I was leaning towards Reaper, simply out of cost reasons. Also, I know I'll need an audio interface to get my stuff on the computer....does anyone have any recommendations?

I learned on Ableton and still use it. Ableton 9, the full package that comes with the Glue Compressor and Operator and Analog and all that stuff, is realistically the only thing you need. I mean, if you're not gonna be obsessively tracking down vsts you won't use right like some people, you can use the built in instruments and effects and make a professional record if you know how to do so, obviously.

Also Ableton lends itself quite well to hip hop, and I find it very natural to use.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Digi_Kraken posted:

I learned on Ableton and still use it. Ableton 9, the full package that comes with the Glue Compressor and Operator and Analog and all that stuff, is realistically the only thing you need. I mean, if you're not gonna be obsessively tracking down vsts you won't use right like some people, you can use the built in instruments and effects and make a professional record if you know how to do so, obviously.

Also Ableton lends itself quite well to hip hop, and I find it very natural to use.

Thanks for the response, but I suspect Ableton is waaay overkill for my needs....not to mention the outrageous pricetag--or is it just tacitly assumed that most everyone pirates it?

All I really want from a DAW is the mixing & sequencing capabilities, I do the sampling/chopping/arranging on the MPC. Seems like Fruityloops might be enough for my needs, no? Or do I really need fancy VSTs for good post-production?

Is there an audio interface you can recommend?

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'd prefer not to involve a computer at any point of the process, but anytime I mix my tracks down into a song it has come out sounding kinda lovely. So I figure I'd need to involve a DAW to make sure it comes out sounding polished

Cool NIN Shirt fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 8, 2015

destroya
May 23, 2006
I'm the coolest.

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

The last two beats you posted were dope indeed

JCW
Oct 22, 2008
i think im done with this one now https://soundcloud.com/thejcw/mindstetlive

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Thanks for the response, but I suspect Ableton is waaay overkill for my needs....not to mention the outrageous pricetag--or is it just tacitly assumed that most everyone pirates it?

All I really want from a DAW is the mixing & sequencing capabilities, I do the sampling/chopping/arranging on the MPC. Seems like Fruityloops might be enough for my needs, no? Or do I really need fancy VSTs for good post-production?

Is there an audio interface you can recommend?

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'd prefer not to involve a computer at any point of the process, but anytime I mix my tracks down into a song it has come out sounding kinda lovely. So I figure I'd need to involve a DAW to make sure it comes out sounding polished

You could use an MV8800 but based on your price constraints I imagine it's not an option.

Ableton is worth the money, especially if you plan on doing this forever. But there's plenty of ways to get it if you look around. You might want to try some demos before you invest in a program that doesn't match your workflow.

I don't think FruityLoops does exactly what you are looking for, even though you might be able to make it - I would reccomend a linear sequencer like Cubase or Ableton or even Acid Pro over FL Studio.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
This one hasn't got the love my other one did, but in my opinion it's better than the one with 1000+ plays.

https://soundcloud.com/cosmicprank/tosa

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

THNDRTHF posted:

You could use an MV8800 but based on your price constraints I imagine it's not an option.

Ableton is worth the money, especially if you plan on doing this forever. But there's plenty of ways to get it if you look around. You might want to try some demos before you invest in a program that doesn't match your workflow.

I don't think FruityLoops does exactly what you are looking for, even though you might be able to make it - I would reccomend a linear sequencer like Cubase or Ableton or even Acid Pro over FL Studio.

Yeah, as unpopular as it was, the MV8800 did have some nifty features but it's definitely not an option for a long time. It would be cool if MPCs came with a VGA output, but whatevs

After some unsuccessful attempts to "acquire" Ableton, I'm just gonna go with Reaper. 60-day evaluation period, and the private license is only $60. The AI I bought--Scarlett 2i2--comes with some mastering software too, so between those two, I imagine I'll have enough features for now.

Thanks for the response

EDIT: Whoa! The Scarlett comes with "Ableton Lite"?? This might be better than I ever expected

EDIT 2: Well a quick glance through the Audio Interface thread indicates that the Scarlett is a pretty crappy AI, with poor latency. But some other sources suggest that this is only important for software monitoring and virtual instruments....so I should probably be fine recording tracks one at a time? WTF I'm already sick of all this computer poo poo

Gonna play around with it tomorrow and see if this alleged "latency" is going to be an issue or not

Cool NIN Shirt fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 12, 2015

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
This is probably a really stupid question but I just recently started making beat and I'm looking for a specific sound (probably from a trap construction kit) that I know to be somewhat over used in recent beats but I don't know where to find it.
You know that samples that's just like a group of dudes shouting "ey"? I hate to use this example (because she sucks) but it's like the main part of the beat in that Iggy song Fancy.

Do any of you guys know where I can find this construction kit/sound?

Edit: Never mind I found it on freesound...

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 12, 2015

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
^^^ just make it yourself man. Dudes shouting 'ey' is about the easiest thing to record yourself and have it sound good.

JCW
Oct 22, 2008
im working on an ep only sampling darondo https://soundcloud.com/thejcw/listenmysong/s-3P5PC

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
After loving with beats on/off for a few years now im ready to actually start a project with a bud and am gonna pick up an MPC I think. The old 2000s look pretty affordable used, anyone have any input as to which one to get? Gonna try to do as much as possible without a computer involved, might try to record to tape but haha we'll see.

my budget is like $500 max, ideal would be around 300.

Anyone got recs for babbies first drum machine?

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 17, 2015

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

I've got a Native Instrument Maschine and I'm pretty happy with it. It's incredibly customizable, there are a lot of decent integrated VSTs and sample packs. Might be a little bit over your budget tho, but they have the Maschine Mikro that is more rudimentary but that will still do everything you could ask from a drum machine.

On another note, I've tried my hand at producing once again but I feel like I've reached a plateau where everything sounds a wee-bit the same, would anyone care to give me some constructive feedback? Are my drums "pumpy" enough? What about the overall mixing? If anyone would do this for me, I'll give your poo poo a listen and give you as much constructive feedback as I can if you're interested.

https://soundcloud.com/angelure/nouvel-essai

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
The Machine is definitely dope--if you have a laptop that can run the software it's even pretty portable, and once you get used to the interface you barely need to look at the computer screen for anything.

I haven't used a Mikro but it seems like it could be a dope alternative if the price for the regular one is too steep

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

After loving with beats on/off for a few years now im ready to actually start a project with a bud and am gonna pick up an MPC I think. The old 2000s look pretty affordable used, anyone have any input as to which one to get? Gonna try to do as much as possible without a computer involved, might try to record to tape but haha we'll see.

Get a maschine

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I can't vouch for it or anything but I did remember seeing that name on massdrop for under $500. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/native-instruments-maschine-mk2

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Buy an Ableton Push, if you use Ableton

Maschine is a toy Push IMO

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
edit: bleh a bad post was here

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 19, 2015

JCW
Oct 22, 2008
https://soundcloud.com/thejcw/suchanight3/s-FIihx

JCW fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 22, 2015

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
If I ever get some free time (one can dream), I wanted to spend some money on an addition to my equipment.
Equipment-wise I think I'm good, especially considering sooner or later I will eventually move and don't want to build a huge studio here. The only thing I kind of miss when producing hip-hop are scratches or vinyl manipulation, as I'm into the whole ninja tune/trip-hop/ jazzy 90's boom bap (yeah I know they're different styles, but they kind of have a bit of a common trend there), and they sometimes have that kind of stuff. Now, noise/vinyl dust I can emulate, either sampling my belt-driven turntable or with plugins, but for some trickier poo poo you need something else.

So I wanted to know your opinion: would you guys get an SL-1200 or Traktor Kontrol S2? I got a friend selling an SL-1200 probably for 200 euro or so (gotta check with her but she wants to get rid of it).
Mind you, I don't want to go all Roc Raida and poo poo, I was thinking more of some basic scratches with voice samples and so on. From what I know, the Technics are the real deal and you cannot get any purer than that. Problem is that as I said, I will move and don't want to hoard more vinyls here. So the Traktor Kontrol sounds like something that is quite portable and lets me use mp3 files (so I don't have to get anything on vinyl). From what I've seen on youtube videos, it sounds pretty convincing, but I don't know if that's because the people using them are pros or what; also the cool bonus is that you can mix with them and your laptop. I know that you can also use the SL1200 with Traktor Scratch and time-coded vinyls though, so I wouldn't need to get records or anything and could use my mp3.

TL/DR:

Is it worth it getting an SL1200 or a Traktor Kontrol S2 if:

1) You want to use mp3.
2) Not wanna be the next world turntablism champion, but do want to use it for instrumental hip-hop (I mean, there is a gentle learning curve, of course I don't expect to pull off everything I want in a month but if I'm gonna sound like poo poo trying and need to devote three years to get anything listenable, it's not probably worth the effort getting it).

KaosPV fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 22, 2015

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

i made an ep of slow beats slathered in delay for my birthday. download it. cherish it. reformat your hard drive so that the only thing on it is this.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

KaosPV posted:

Is it worth it getting an SL1200 or a Traktor Kontrol S2 if:

1) You want to use mp3.
2) Not wanna be the next world turntablism champion, but do want to use it for instrumental hip-hop (I mean, there is a gentle learning curve, of course I don't expect to pull off everything I want in a month but if I'm gonna sound like poo poo trying and need to devote three years to get anything listenable, it's not probably worth the effort getting it).
A Traktor Kontrol will sound fine on a song, and obviously give you a lot more versatility and control with Traktor. 200 euros is a great deal for an SL1200, although you'll have to buy a mixer too for scratching. You can get decent enough at basic thuppa-thuppa baby scratches in a month if you practice regularly. Getting to like a DJ Premier level of scratching will take a few years unless you're a prodigy or practice constantly.

Ultimately it's gonna come down a lot to preference. I would take the SL1200 any day because I like how big 33 platters feel compared to the little tiny controller decks, and I feel like an actual turntable feels more Hip Hop than a bespoke Traktor controller, but that's kind of an irrational opinion. I have a pair of Numark TTXs and while they're perfectly fine decks for scratching (and way cheaper than SL1200s generally), I'd still rather have the Technics just for the look and historical value. Cause I'm a nerd

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 24, 2015

JCW
Oct 22, 2008
some friends & i put together a little compilation of tracks. some hip hop some other stuff check it out https://soundcloud.com/whole-team/sets/whole-team-2

JCW
Oct 22, 2008
blah blah blah https://soundcloud.com/thejcw/please

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

A little late to this, but get an MPC1000 and upgrade to JJOS. You'll be amazed at what you can do with it. Granted, this will probably push the cost to 600 or so (depending on how cheap you can source the MPC) but if you're set on doing it without a computer you'll need to get used to things costing more. Hell, even the free JJOS will make things 5x easier. An MPC2000/2000XL can be found for 400-500, but they can be difficult to use....you probably don't want to have to mess with zip disks.

I bought a 2500 which is an expanded version of the 1000, upgraded it with JJOS, and it was exactly what I wanted--and so much more. Get the MPC1000, in my opinion.

EDIT: here, I'll put my money where my mouth is:
https://soundcloud.com/boyofvirtue/righteous-funk
Made with all vinyl samples, entirely on the MPC. Never touched a computer. I've had mine for two months, once you get used to the workflow you'll be zooming around.

Cool NIN Shirt fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 28, 2015

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

Haledjian posted:

A Traktor Kontrol will sound fine on a song, and obviously give you a lot more versatility and control with Traktor. 200 euros is a great deal for an SL1200, although you'll have to buy a mixer too for scratching. You can get decent enough at basic thuppa-thuppa baby scratches in a month if you practice regularly. Getting to like a DJ Premier level of scratching will take a few years unless you're a prodigy or practice constantly.

Ultimately it's gonna come down a lot to preference. I would take the SL1200 any day because I like how big 33 platters feel compared to the little tiny controller decks, and I feel like an actual turntable feels more Hip Hop than a bespoke Traktor controller, but that's kind of an irrational opinion. I have a pair of Numark TTXs and while they're perfectly fine decks for scratching (and way cheaper than SL1200s generally), I'd still rather have the Technics just for the look and historical value. Cause I'm a nerd

Thanks for the input. Yeah I would love to have the SL1200 too, but the whole idea of not knowing if I have to move in a few months or so kind of forces me to make every equipment decision I make to rank the "portability" factor very high.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

A little late to this, but get an MPC1000 and upgrade to JJOS. You'll be amazed at what you can do with it. Granted, this will probably push the cost to 600 or so (depending on how cheap you can source the MPC) but if you're set on doing it without a computer you'll need to get used to things costing more. Hell, even the free JJOS will make things 5x easier. An MPC2000/2000XL can be found for 400-500, but they can be difficult to use....you probably don't want to have to mess with zip disks.

I bought a 2500 which is an expanded version of the 1000, upgraded it with JJOS, and it was exactly what I wanted--and so much more. Get the MPC1000, in my opinion.

EDIT: here, I'll put my money where my mouth is:
https://soundcloud.com/boyofvirtue/righteous-funk
Made with all vinyl samples, entirely on the MPC. Never touched a computer. I've had mine for two months, once you get used to the workflow you'll be zooming around.

Awesome(the soundcloud tracks are private though)

i went ahead and ordered the 1000 used on eBay. didn't seem like a bad price and "in 100% working condition", we'll see when it gets here.

should i shell out for the max level jjos right away?

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 29, 2015

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

Awesome(the soundcloud tracks are private though)

i went ahead and ordered the 1000 used on eBay. didn't seem like a bad price and "in 100% working condition", we'll see when it gets here.

should i shell out for the max level jjos right away?

Oops lol I was wondering why I got so few plays.

Definitely get the free JJOS right away, and if you want to start making beats as quickly as possible, get this: http://www.mpc-samples.com/product.php/84/beat-making-on-the-mpc1000/
It covers every aspect of the MPC--both OEM OS and free JJOS--with sample sound files so you learn to sample, chop, sequence, apply filters/effects right off the bat. I was sampling and making beats that I thought were halfway decent within a week.

Learn the basics on the free JJOS, and then you can download and install the JJOSXL and try it out to see if it's worth the money to you....the trial is fully functional, you just wont be able to save. But its a very well-designed OS, created with lots of user feedback, and I've never heard anyone say that they ended up switching back.

One other thing that you will most likely want to do once you get your MPC, is to open the case and squirt some Deoxit D5 into every switch/fader. I just did this the other day and it fixed a non-working fader and made every other button work like new.

Feel free to email me at boyofvirtue@gmail.com if you have any other questions or just wanna talk shop...I love talking about this stuff

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
double post

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
gently caress yea dude thanks for that link, pretty much was hoping to find something like that.

Fuckin ready to start divin into this poo poo, I'll for sure hit ya up on email some time too, good poo poo thanks mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
Finally, we get to loving hear your tracks man. And let me say it was worth the wait. I would just play with the levels. The drums need to be in the front and the melody and voice a bit more buried in.

• Locked thread