Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

To be fair, America is also the greatest country in the world. And the best at everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Butt Ghost posted:

To be fair, America is also the greatest country in the world. And the best at everything.

We're the shounen protagonists of the world.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
To be fair, Eyeshield 21 subverts this a bit since the ubermensch American team is still flat out better than all the best Japanese players on one team. The Japanese just force the Americans to play smart as a team and it's implied the Americans win in the end.

And this is the same manga with a lot of Japanese casual racism.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

To be fair, american every country's sports every genre fiction is pretty much the same way.

Let's be real here.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

pentyne posted:

Yeah, but its always against other Americans. Plus its sports the US is internationally famous for, baseball, football, basketball, NASCAR, etc. If there was some US sports fiction about being the greatest soccer team it would be equally stupid.

I can't think of one of those cases where the Japanese team was shown to be outright better than the US team. Usually it's the same as our scrappy underdog stories, Your team full of outcasts who may not have the natural talent, but they have the heart will and determination to beat a team that looks down on them. Or the Japanese equivalent the samurai spirit or some poo poo.

This side story may be the closest you get to equal strength. In Kuroko's there are literally no players who are anywhere near the level of the Generation of Miracles(and Kagami) in Japan anyway. They already outclass the entire nation(And technically Kagami was raised and learned streetball in America). They were an aberration of talent hitting all in the same year, and same place.

I'm interested to see what they give the American team besides crazy streetball stuff, because the GoM and Kagami are really loving dumb power level wise. Midorima can hit a shot from literally anywhere on the court. Akashi, can read movements and instantly break ankles of anyone guarding him, Aomine can hit shots from any angle/position that he is in, and Kise can copy and mimic all of the other ones moves.

KoB
May 1, 2009

CVE posted:

New spin-off where Kuroko and the generaton of Miracles take on their own racist Americans. Remember all those glorious facts Eyeshield brought to us and wait to see them reimagined just with basketball this time :cheeky:

I liked the part where a bunch of black dudes were being assholes and the white dude team leader had to come in and fix everything.

At least it was revealed that hes an rear end too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Takagi-san is back.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

This is soooo good compared to his other thing, which is just aggressively mediocre and fairly creepy in premise. It's just so charming, I wonder why the author even did the other one.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What's his other thing?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ytlaya posted:

What's his other thing?

Dude in love with his vampire sister.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Allarion posted:

Dude in love with his vampire sister.

Although not really, it's just what everybody else thinks. They actually argue a lot and bicker like real siblings. However it's aggressively bland, and just repeats the same stupid gag in every single chapter.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, I just pulled it from the synopsis. Didn't feel like reading it to judge it for myself.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Aren't there only like 4 chapters of it translated so far?

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Takagi strikes again

http://bato.to/read/_/295261/karakai-jouzu-no-takagi-san_v2_ch11_by_ciel-scans

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, Shield Hero. I'm starting to get some seriously creepy vibes from it. Basically, the women his own age are either comically cruel or largely indifferent to him. Even among the townsfolk who he forms relationships with, there are no women anywhere near his age. But now he has a sort of daughter harem, including a child with an adult's body. What's more, he has absolute control over them and they love him for it.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Well read Blazing Ninjaman instead of light novel garbage. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/blazing-ninjaman-r14105

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Serious Frolicking posted:

So, Shield Hero. I'm starting to get some seriously creepy vibes from it. Basically, the women his own age are either comically cruel or largely indifferent to him. Even among the townsfolk who he forms relationships with, there are no women anywhere near his age. But now he has a sort of daughter harem, including a child with an adult's body. What's more, he has absolute control over them and they love him for it.

I mean, the big life-ruining thing that happened to the protagonist was a false rape charge. I figured the author being lovely about women was kind of a given.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

its a bad manga

i have solved the puzzle

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Eeevil posted:

I mean, the big life-ruining thing that happened to the protagonist was a false rape charge. I figured the author being lovely about women was kind of a given.

Wow, what a piece of poo poo. It's not like most women in Japan can even report actual rapes and be taken seriously, nevertheless falsely accusing people.

The author probably got busted molesting a girl on the subway and seethes at the idea that she didn't stand there stoically and accept it like a traditional Japanese woman should.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

pentyne posted:

Wow, what a piece of poo poo. It's not like most women in Japan can even report actual rapes and be taken seriously, nevertheless falsely accusing people.

The author probably got busted molesting a girl on the subway and seethes at the idea that she didn't stand there stoically and accept it like a traditional Japanese woman should.

lol calm the gently caress down.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Jose posted:

lol calm the gently caress down.

tbf its a dumb manga

coathat
May 21, 2007

I doubt that being more feminist would actually make it good.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Light novels (which the shield hero manga is an adaptation of) tend to be pretty juvenile wish fulfillment in general. And not very feminist either. There're exceptions like with everything, but well.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cake Attack posted:

tbf its a dumb manga

It is but people in this forum love Negima and I have no idea how anyone can read that its much worse

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Jose posted:

It is but people in this forum love Negima and I have no idea how anyone can read that its much worse

that is also a dumb manga

post manga and i will tell you if they're dumb

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Is mayonnaise a dumb manga?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

one piece

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

its good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

megatokyo

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jose posted:

Negima seems pretty unoffensive. Does it get weird as poo poo later on?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

megatokyo

art

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

pentyne posted:

Negima seems pretty unoffensive. Does it get weird as poo poo later on?

Starts out bad, then gets fantastic.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Houshin Engi

coathat posted:

Well read Blazing Ninjaman instead of light novel garbage. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/blazing-ninjaman-r14105
much like being a ninja, posting good manga in a adtrw thread is a mostly thankless job

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 3, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

only read a couple of chapters. seems fine, ive heard its good

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

only read a couple of chapters. seems fine, ive heard its good

You should read more. Missing out on some of the best villians in shonen manga.

For real, you have to get to at least Chou Koumei

coathat
May 21, 2007

There's also more Stop!! Hibari-Kun! http://bato.to/read/_/294962/stop-hibari-kun_v1_ch11_by_hachimitsu-scans

Kids don't try this at home.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

GodFish posted:

Starts out bad, then gets fantastic.

Can confirm. The fanservice never really goes away entirely, but the focus entirely shifts from it to something very worth reading. Highly recommended.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

coathat posted:

There's also more Stop!! Hibari-Kun! http://bato.to/read/_/294962/stop-hibari-kun_v1_ch11_by_hachimitsu-scans

Kids don't try this at home.

this is a good manga

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cake Attack posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568801

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

rizzen posted:

Can confirm. The fanservice never really goes away entirely, but the focus entirely shifts from it to something very worth reading. Highly recommended.

I can't really recommend a manga when fully half of it is trashy and kind of dull, even though I really like the other half.