Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Meet Zappy

and Big Bertha :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

They must have hit a system - I noticed that the "10 second grace to players" doesn't count if an npc blows up a ship with subsystem destruction.

You can just kill him again though.

Ah that explains it, i was going after his power plant. Guess ill hunt him down again

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Meet Zappy

There's nothing about this post that wouldn't delight Freud. :v:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I know gun-chat gets dumb, but I'm rethinking my Viper loadout again and would love input.

First, I had twin C2 gimbaled beam lasers, twin C1 gimbaled MC, got bored and wanted to have a better way of killing big ships.
So I switched to twin C2 gimbaled beam lasers, twin C1 dumbfires. Got tired of running out of ammo.
Switched to twin C2 dumbfires, twin fixed beam lasers. Pretty damned awesome for hunting big ships like Pythons and anacondas, but it's rather a pain in the dick when you have to kill Eagles, sidewinders, and even some Cobras if they fly well.

Anyone have suggestions for a better jack-of-all-trades loadout? I really, really wish you could store weapons at a base, so I could swap from loaded for Anacondas and loaded for killing little bitty fighters without traveling all over the place to repurchase guns. I'm tempted to just put 4 gimbaled MCs on there and say "gently caress it."

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

There's nothing about this post that wouldn't delight Freud. :v:

Sometimes a cannon is just a cannon. In this case no, my Python has a python. :v:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How the poo poo do you have a python

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Trip report: Viper with 4x beam lasers.

Satisfying laser buzzsaw sound. Shields hilariously melt in seconds with a full blast. You can sustain several seconds of fire from all four guns with an A distributor. Tap firing all four is surprisingly effective. Sidewinders and Eagles don't last long even when your weapon power reserves have run low. The behaviour of the beams is weird when power is low: 3 out of 4 beams pulsed like a pulse laser while the 4th maintained a beam.

Verdict: fun to use, particularly against small ships, but it makes for tedious fights against Cobras and other larger craft.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Please if you use Voice Attack don't also use voice activation on mumble. It gets annoying real quick. Especially when two people in the channel are doing it at the same time.

Can tell Voice Attack to ignore commands when a key is pressed.

Pro tip: use the same key as Mumble PTTK.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Acquire Currency! posted:

There are players out there with Anacondas.

And neat, Class 3/Large pulse lasers have their own model, unlike Class 1 & 2, which have the same model, in different sizes.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

Meet Zappy

what'd it cost to fit the python out?

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 352 days!

mlmp08 posted:

I know gun-chat gets dumb, but I'm rethinking my Viper loadout again and would love input.

First, I had twin C2 gimbaled beam lasers, twin C1 gimbaled MC, got bored and wanted to have a better way of killing big ships.
So I switched to twin C2 gimbaled beam lasers, twin C1 dumbfires. Got tired of running out of ammo.
Switched to twin C2 dumbfires, twin fixed beam lasers. Pretty damned awesome for hunting big ships like Pythons and anacondas, but it's rather a pain in the dick when you have to kill Eagles, sidewinders, and even some Cobras if they fly well.

Anyone have suggestions for a better jack-of-all-trades loadout? I really, really wish you could store weapons at a base, so I could swap from loaded for Anacondas and loaded for killing little bitty fighters without traveling all over the place to repurchase guns. I'm tempted to just put 4 gimbaled MCs on there and say "gently caress it."

Gimballed c1 beams with c2 multicannons, gimballed or fixed, will easily rip into an anaconda's power plant or pop sidewinders without blowing a few grand per salvo.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

For fuel scoops, what type of suns am I looking for? I'm about to make my big adventure to the hideout

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Horrific abuse of rares in beta. Then large trade runs in a type 7.

Rotation Confusion posted:

what'd it cost to fit the python out?

15 million and counting. insurance is about 2.7 million right now. I can stuff 216+ tons of cargo in it with the right configuration when I want to upgrade. Class 6/7 A grade gear goes for 15-20 million per module. :suicide:

E: Just checked and it's 75.5 million is assets total, so less what's in my account all this cost 72 million

EBB fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 30, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Stevefin posted:

For fuel scoops, what type of suns am I looking for? I'm about to make my big adventure to the hideout
Someone else probably remembers the exact types but mostly just avoid reds (and maybe blues?) and you should be fine. Red stars are the most common in our galaxy by a wide margin though.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

15 million and counting. insurance is about 2.7 million right now. I can stuff 216+ tons of cargo in it with the right configuration when I want to upgrade. Class 6/7 A grade gear goes for 15-20 million per module. :suicide:

E: Just checked and it's 75.5 million is assets total, so less what's in my account all this cost 72 million

Hahah gently caress how are you even supposed to make money off that

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Stevefin posted:

OBAFGKM ("Oh, be a fine girl, kiss me!")

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hahah gently caress how are you even supposed to make money off that

Like I said, trade. Round trips of regular items net me 500k a pop. When that gets boring I find a RES spawning Anacondas- they average about 100k for a minute of work. Cannon ammo is dirt cheap and lasers are free, and I have yet to have my shields drop.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

WarLocke posted:

OBAFGKM ("Oh, be a fine girl, kiss me!")

FYI this is a mnemonic device to help you remember the ascending order of star class. For the less common star classes you can add a L T and Y afterwords so the device becomes Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss M, Less Tounge Yo.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 30, 2014

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This adder is getting ridiculous :getin:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Like I said, trade. Round trips of regular items net me 500k a pop. When that gets boring I find a RES spawning Anacondas- they average about 100k for a minute of work. Cannon ammo is dirt cheap and lasers are free, and I have yet to have my shields drop.

Oh god what trade route? I'm in a Clipper and I really need a good trade route.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

FYI this is a mnemonic device to help you remember the ascending order of star class. For the less common start classes you can add a LT and Y afterwords so the device becomes Oh be a fine girl kiss me less Tounge Yo.

You can't scoop L, T, and Y though.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

WarLocke posted:

You can't scoop L, T, and Y though.

I don't know what that means. I started reading the thread and saw it and wanted to impress with some nerdery :(

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

wesley snypes posted:

Gimballed c1 beams with c2 multicannons, gimballed or fixed, will easily rip into an anaconda's power plant or pop sidewinders without blowing a few grand per salvo.

Seems reasonable and reminiscent of what I ran, in smaller scale, on the Eagle. Will try it out.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Gonkish posted:

Oh god what trade route? I'm in a Clipper and I really need a good trade route.

Thrudd's tools, click on find trades and put in your data. Each route is good for about six hours or so until demand shifts.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I don't know what that means. I started reading the thread and saw it and wanted to impress with some nerdery :(

He means you can't skim the corona of those star types for hydrogen fuel.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I'm selling my account if any of you want to save a few bucks, bought it to play with goons but this is not my kind of game
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691116

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

This would require you to spend $30 a month on EVE Online. I would Baker Act anyone who did this.
Regarding the first part of my post, trading and/or production can be done from the same character you mine from. Regarding the second part, I don't remember the last time I spent real money on EVE.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

FYI this is a mnemonic device to help you remember the ascending order of star class. For the less common star classes you can add a L T and Y afterwords so the device becomes Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss M, Less Tounge Yo.

Oh right thanks to the explanation

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

Cool. My rule of thumb has been you need hull cost again to fit out a hull, barring armor, which is usually another 2x hull cost. Sounds like that's right. Another week or two then to go from clipper to python.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Satire, I like it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Meet Zappy

I like you color scheme and your big throbbing guns.

Care to post it?

Then, when I'm cleaned up post your color scheme.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Welp made it in some what one piece

Meet Zappy

Some one posted a link that changes the hud colour, Does it just update it automatically?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

<MatrixRed> 0.4, 0.5, 0.75 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0.5, 0.5, 0.5 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0.39, 0.02, -1 </MatrixBlue>

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

So many stars :stare:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Be aware though that some HUD colour combinations have issues with proper display of market and of galaxy map.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

kalstrams posted:

Be aware though that some HUD colour combinations have issues with proper display of market and of galaxy map.

Specifically tried to avoid that with mine. Galaxy map looks fine, and the rest I set up to be easier on the eyes than orange:

http://arkku.com/elite/hud_editor/#theme_0.4_0.5_0.75_0.5_0.5_0.5_0.39_0.02_-1

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Specifically tried to avoid that with mine. Galaxy map looks fine, and the rest I set up to be easier on the eyes than orange:

http://arkku.com/elite/hud_editor/#theme_0.4_0.5_0.75_0.5_0.5_0.5_0.39_0.02_-1
Does your setup highlight market rares properly? It looks great and I'm willing to give it a go if you were successful with market issue too.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Baby's first Hauler rares run.
"Let's see, 5 jumps to closest place with Rares. Now I got 7 rares, 6 jumps to next place with rares. This is pretty simple, didn't even need to stop for gas. Now I've got a full 16 Rares, now to go sell this at... 21 Jumps away...."

Internal "fastest" routing, and external site routing loves to path me through 3 to 5 uninhabited systems in a row. So I got baby's first 5k C1 fuel scoop to replace my discovery scanner. Despite knowing the various tips and tricks I still need to get better at lining up for that good scooping and staying that way without cooking myself (No heat damage, yet) particularly straight out of a jump. Side effects of selling my basic discovery scanner for a fuel scoop. All these unknown stars are untargetable despite being a huge star right in front of me. Still, B grade FSD Hauler's got some legs on it for how many as far as possible with full cargo jumps I can make on a full tank. Can't wait to put an A FSD on this thing, and a less poo poo (If still C1, huge baby needs his shields) fuel scoop I get less poo poo with after more practice.

I think my biggest enemy to moneymaking aside from assorted interruptions, is my attention span :v: Doot doot doo flying through space oh hey what about other thing.

Wish the Target nexthostile/Target highest thread commands worked in supercruise. No, stop targeting empire security ships halfway across the system you rear end in a top hat, target whatever the gently caress is interdicting me is it an npc or player? Is it that sidewinder or the viper, what. come on, I don't have time to look through a contact list to see what is closest while playing interdiction minigame that will suddenly warp the escape vector all the way to the left of my cockpit view as my bars max out, making me pull back to it because I guess full blue bars vs zero red bars isn't good enough and I need to gently caress around with this buggy thing more.

Speaking of bugs, docking at an outpost to repair some heat damage (I guess not all orange stars are scoopable, I just kept getting closer and closed hoping for scoop to turn on :downs:) shows the 180 flipped landing pads are alive and well.

4 more jumps to baby's first rares sale.

EDIT: vvv Yeah, that's what I've been having more success with. My issue is I get greedy. I try to pull that poo poo straight out of hyperspace and gently caress it up, or I notice "Wait if I go FASTER, it scoops up fuel faster! Oh wait I'm at 130% heat better dip out", or :downs: creeping closer and closer to an orange star waiting for the fuel scoop to activate only for it to never do so and emergency stop by the thing whoopsydoodle looks like I got heat damage after all.

No A Class FSD or power plants where I sold my first batch of rates for 263k, but now I got a B grade C1 fuel scoop instead of a C grade, which should help... Now to wait and see if more than two yaso kondi leaves spawn/look up if two is the cap.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 30, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

kalstrams posted:

Does your setup highlight market rares properly?

:cripes:

It obviously works for him.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm not selling a used car here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Section Z posted:

Despite knowing the various tips and tricks I still need to get better at lining up for that good scooping and staying that way without cooking myself (No heat damage, yet) particularly straight out of a jump.

People say to nose up to the star and throttle down at the magical sweet spot where your heat doesn't spike but you still get (some, limited) hydrogen scooped up. I don't like that, I do it like this:

Roll so that the star is 'above' you, and keep the little green 'gravity band' around the star above the halfway point of your screen (you can actually keep it way at the top like in that screenshot if you want to be safe, just as long as you're not crossing it you don't have to worry about being pulled out of supercruise. Set your throttle to about 75% and slowly nose upwards to keep that band in view (this results in you doing a big circle around the star, scooping the whole time). When your heat gets to 130% all you have to do is pitch down to immediately break away from the star and (if you need more fuel) cool down a bit before looping back to repeat the procedure.

• Locked thread